Chapter Five: Prophecy

第五章:授記

5.1Venerable Śāriputra then said to the Blessed One, [F.154.b] “Blessed One, if even beings born into the nāga realms can develop the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening in this fashion, it is astounding that some people are incapable of developing the mind set on awakening.”

5.1舍利弗尊者隨後對世尊說:「世尊,如果連生在龍道的眾生都能以這樣的方式發起無上正等菩提心,那麼有些人竟然無法發起菩提心,這實在令人震驚。」

5.2The Blessed One responded, “Śāriputra, these twelve thousand nāgas went forth in the Thus-Gone One Kāśyapa’s body of teachings. They heard the message on the mind set on awakening from that thus-gone one. Not only did they hear it, but the Thus-Gone One gave them his approval. The Great Vehicle is inconceivable, and yet he expressed his approval. Still, they were distracted by nonvirtue in the following way: in order to keep a family household or a household that gives to beggars, they failed to practice discipline. As they let their discipline become impaired, once they died, they were reborn in the nāga realm. Through the cause, contributing condition, and roots of virtue of them hearing the message of the Great Vehicle and the Blessed One expressing his approval, they now hear the Great Vehicle message from me. Having heard teachings on the inexhaustible casket dhāraṇī, they are developing the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening. Śāriputra, just consider this difference of intention.

5.2世尊回答道:「舍利弗,這十二千條龍在如來迦葉的教法中出家。他們從那位如來聽聞了關於菩提心的教導。他們不僅聽聞了,如來還給予他們認可。大乘是不可思議的,他卻表示了認可。然而,他們後來在以下方式上被不善所迷惑:為了維持家族生活或施予乞丐的家族,他們沒有實踐戒律。當他們讓自己的戒律受到破損時,一旦他們死亡,就投生在龍的領域中。透過他們聽聞大乘教導的因、助緣和善根,以及世尊的認可,他們現在從我這裡聽聞大乘教導。聽聞了關於無盡寶藏陀羅尼的教法後,他們正在培養無上正等菩提心。舍利弗,你想想看這種意圖的差異。」

5.3“I will now give them their prophecy of unsurpassed and perfect awakening: after countless eons of serving countless thus-gone ones, they will truly accomplish the Dharma that accords with awakening. Then, during the Joyful Eon in the world called Immaculate Heart, they will fully awaken to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood. They will all become thus-gone ones with four appropriate names: Superior Wisdom, [F.155.a] Superior Merit, Superior Dharma, and Superior Insight. They will all appear during a single eon, just as now a thousand buddhas are set to appear during this Fortunate Eon.”

5.3「我現在給予他們無上正等菩提的授記:經過無數劫侍奉無數如來之後,他們將真實成就與菩提相應的法。那時,在名為清淨心的世界中,於賢劫期間,他們將圓滿覺悟無上正等佛位。他們都將成為具足四種適當名號的如來:妙慧、妙功德、妙法和妙慧。他們都將在同一個劫中出現,正如現在有一千位佛預定在這善劫中出現一樣。」

5.4Then Nāga King Sāgara said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, when I was living in the ocean at the beginning of the eon, when the Blessed Thus-Gone One Krakucchanda appeared in the world, there were only a few adult nāgas and young male and female nāgas in that ocean. Even I had a meager retinue. Now, Blessed One, the adult nāgas and young male and female nāgas in the ocean are limitless. Their limit cannot be calculated numerically. Blessed One, what is the cause and contributing condition for this?”

5.4海龍王對世尊說:「世尊,當我住在海洋中,在劫初時,當世尊如來迦樓吒婆尼佛出現在世間時,那時海洋中只有為數不多的成年龍和年幼的雄龍雌龍。連我本身的眷屬也很少。現在世尊啊,海洋中的成年龍和年幼的雄龍雌龍數量無限,無法用數字計算其數量。世尊啊,這是什麼因緣和助緣呢?」

5.5The Blessed One answered, “Nāga Lord, those who go forth in the well-spoken Dharma and Vinaya and do not perfect their discipline‍—who do not perfect it but rather let their activities, livelihood, and discipline degenerate, though they still have a morally upright view‍—are not reborn as hell beings. Once they die, they will be reborn in the nāga realms. Nāga Lord, 980 million householders and monastics let the activities, livelihood, and discipline received from the Thus-Gone One Krakucchanda’s teachings degenerate. Once they died, they were reborn in the nāga realms. Also, 640 million householders and monastics who went forth in the Thus-Gone One Kanakamuni’s teachings subsequently let their discipline become corrupt. Thus, when they died, they were reborn in the nāga realms. [F.155.b] Likewise, 800 million householders and monastics let their activities, livelihood, and discipline that they received from the Thus-Gone One Kāśyapa degenerate. Thus, once they died, they were reborn in the nāga realms. Nāga King, presently 999 million householders and monastics who have gone forth in my teachings have subsequently gotten involved in various debates, struggles, and distractions and let their activities, livelihood, and discipline degenerate. When they die, they will also be reborn in the nāga realms.

5.5世尊回答說:「龍王,那些在善說的法和律中出家,但沒有圓滿戒律的人——他們沒有圓滿戒律,反而讓他們的行為、命、戒律衰退,雖然他們仍然具有正直的見——他們不會重生為地獄眾生。他們死後,將會重生在龍的領域。龍王,有九億八千萬居士和出家人讓他們從如來迦葉波的教法中所受的行為、命、戒律衰退。他們死後,重生在龍的領域。還有,六億四千萬居士和出家人在如來迦那迦牟尼的教法中出家,隨後讓他們的戒律變得腐敗。因此,當他們死去時,重生在龍的領域。同樣地,八億居士和出家人讓他們從如來迦葉波那裡所受的行為、命、戒律衰退。因此,當他們死去時,重生在龍的領域。龍王,目前有九億九千萬居士和出家人在我的教法中出家,隨後陷入各種辯論、爭執和分心,讓他們的行為、命、戒律衰退。當他們死去時,他們也將重生在龍的領域。」

5.6“Nāga Lord, such are the causes. Such are the conditions. Therefore, the population of adult nāgas and young male and female nāgas is presently limitless in this way. Still, Nāga Lord, in the latter days after I have passed into parinirvāṇa, evil monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen will let their discipline degenerate and therefore be reborn in the nāga realms. Some among them will fall to the state of hell beings.”

5.6「龍王,這就是原因。這就是條件。因此,現在這個海洋中成年龍和年輕的雌雄龍的數量就以這樣的方式變得無限無邊。然而,龍王,在我般涅槃之後的末法時代,惡比丘、比丘尼、優婆塞、優婆夷將會讓他們的戒律墮落,因此會被重生在龍的境界中。他們當中有些將會墮落到地獄眾生的狀態。」

5.7Nāga King Sāgara asked, “Blessed One, what is notable about the actions of those who have gone forth who let their discipline degenerate and either have been or will be reborn in the nāga realms?”

5.7海龍王問道:「世尊,那些出家人放縱戒律而已經或將會轉生到龍界的眾生,他們的業行有什麼值得注意的地方呢?」

5.8The Blessed One answered, “Nāga Lord, the behavior of those who have gone forth who let their discipline degenerate and either have been or will be reborn in the nāga realms is extremely impure. But, because they have trust in the Thus-Gone One’s teachings, they have the motivation such that when they pass on from the nāga realm they will be reborn among the gods and humans due to the power of that pure motivation. They will have the inclination to enter the vehicles within the teachings of those thus-gone ones who become buddhas in this Fortunate Eon. [F.156.a] All of them, except for those who have entered the Great Vehicle, will pass into parinirvāṇa during this Fortunate Eon.

5.8世尊回答說:「龍王,那些出家後放任戒律墮落,曾經或將會被轉生到龍王領域的人,他們的行為是極其不清淨的。但是,因為他們對如來的教法有信心,他們懷著這樣的動機——當他們從龍王領域離開時,由於那清淨心的力量,他們將被轉生到天人當中。他們將有傾向進入在此善劫成為佛的那些如來教法中的各種乘。除了那些已進入大乘的人以外,他們全部都將在此善劫中般涅槃。」

5.9“Nāga Lord, consider thus the uniqueness of the cause, which is the greatness of the Thus-Gone One’s teachings and the benefits of renunciation. Due to this cause, these beings will abandon all nonvirtuous qualities and become extraordinary.”

5.9「龍王,應當這樣思惟這個因的獨特性,就是如來教法的偉大和出離的利益。由於這個因,這些眾生將捨棄一切不善法,變得非凡卓越。」

5.10Then Glorious Splendor, the son of the Nāga King Sāgara, said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, it is incredible how meaningful it is to see and hear the blessed buddhas. In this way, if such worthy beings who have a karmic connection arouse the mind focused on the Buddha even one time and do not let that thought spoil, it will become a cause for obtaining parinirvāṇa. Blessed One, I will also seek unsurpassed and perfect awakening by arousing the intention to see and hear in the same way. Until I reach the seat of awakening, may my bodhisattva conduct be meaningful. May I not become deluded. May I not become deluded about virtue or about great love and compassion. In all my lifetimes, may I never be separated from seeing the buddhas, hearing the Dharma, serving the saṅgha of noble beings, and ripening beings.”

5.10光明(海龍王薩迦羅的兒子)對世尊說:「世尊,見聞諸佛是何等不可思議的有義之事啊。這樣的話,如果有具有業緣的值得尊敬的眾生,甚至只是一次生起了以佛為對象的心,而不讓那個念頭被破壞,它就會成為獲得般涅槃的因。世尊,我也要用同樣的方式生起見聞的意願,來追求無上正等菩提。直到我抵達菩提座,願我的菩薩行是有義的。願我不陷入迷惑。願我對善根或大愛和大悲都不陷入迷惑。在我的所有生命中,願我永遠不離開見佛、聞法、侍奉聖僧團以及成熟眾生的境界。」

5.11The Blessed One then offered his approval to Glorious Splendor, the son of the Nāga King Sāgara, “Good sir, it is excellent that you have developed an attitude of supporting all beings. Even if the blessed ones were to describe them for seven years, seven months, [F.156.b] and seven days, they would be unable to describe the ripening of the roots of virtue of developing the mind set on awakening with this kind of pure motivation and great compassion. So, the roots of virtue that you have accumulated should be understood as being that limitless.”

5.11世尊隨後對海龍王之子光明說:「善男子,你能發起利益一切眾生的心態,這是最為殊勝的。即使諸佛用七年、七個月、七天的時間來描述,也無法詳盡說明以這樣清淨心和大悲心來生起菩提心所帶來的善根成熟的境界。因此,你所積累的善根應該被理解為是無量無邊的。」

5.12The Blessed One smiled when he recognized the pure motivation of Glorious Splendor, the son of the Nāga King Sāgara. It is in the nature of the blessed buddhas that whenever they smile, in that very moment, blue, yellow, red, white, crimson, crystal, and silver-colored light streams from the mouths of those blessed ones. This light pervades limitless worlds with bright light, rising as high as the Brahmā world and eclipsing even the splendor and brightness of the sun and moon. The light then returns and encircles the blessed ones three times before it dissolves into a blessed one’s crown.

5.12世尊在認識到海龍王之子光明的清淨心時露出了微笑。這是諸佛的特性,每當他們微笑時,在那一刻,從這些世尊的口中就會射出青、黃、紅、白、緋紅、水晶和銀色的光芒。這光芒遍照無量的世界,散發出明亮的光輝,上升至梵世,其光輝甚至超越了日月的光彩和明耀。光芒隨後迴返,繞著世尊三次,最後融入世尊的頂髻中。

5.13Then Venerable Ānanda stood up, draped his shawl over one shoulder, and knelt on his right knee. With his palms together he bowed toward the Blessed One and asked the Blessed One the meaning of his smile in verse:

5.13於是尊者阿難起身,將披肩搭在一肩,右膝跪地。雙手合掌向世尊禮拜,並用偈頌請問世尊微笑的含義:

“O Well-Gone One whose body is adorned with myriad merits
「具足萬般福德莊嚴的善逝啊
And possesses the thirty-two supreme marks‍—
具足三十二相——
Your face is pure and immaculate like the moon.
您的面容清淨無垢,如同月光。
Why have you shown your smile?
您為何展露笑容?
“O Blessed One, you are immaculate, devoid of the three stains.
「世尊啊,您清淨無垢,遠離三垢。
Without affliction, your lotus eyes are utterly pure.
無有煩惱,你的蓮花眼極其清淨。
You are venerated by gods, asuras, and nāgas.
您被天神、阿修羅和龍所尊敬。
Why have you shown your smile?
您為什麼展露笑容?
“O Blessed One, your teeth are even, straight, and brilliantly white.
「世尊啊,您的牙齒整齊、筆直、潔白發亮。
You master the ten powers, and your mouth has the most pleasant breath.
你掌握十力,你的口氣最為清香宜人。
O surmounter of aging and death,
尊敬的克服老死的聖者,
Why have you shown your smile?
你為什麼露出笑容?
“O protector whose mind is immaculate like the sphere of space,
「啊,具有清淨心如虛空界的保護者啊,」
With your heart you see enemies in equality. [F.157.a]
用你的心,以平等性觀看敵人。
Your mind is unmoving like a mountain.
你的意不動搖,如同山嶽。
Blessed One, please elucidate the meaning of your smile!
世尊,請開示您微笑的含義!
“O Blessed One, you speak with Brahmā’s voice,
「世尊啊,您說話的聲音如同梵天的聲音,
Which is pleasing and delightful like the sound
哪種聲音令人歡喜悅樂,就像緊那羅、杜鵑或鼓的聲音一樣。
Of a kinnara, a cuckoo, or a drum.
緊那羅、杜鵑或鼓的聲音。
Please speak to the means of your smile!
請為我們講述您微笑的含義!
“O guide, possessing the unimpeded mind,
「尊者啊,具足無礙心的聖者啊,
You know the actions, the hopes, and even the faculties of beings
你知道眾生的業、願望,甚至還知道他們的根。
Throughout the three times.
貫穿三世。
Why have you shown your smile?
你為什麼展露微笑?
“O Blessed One, king of physicians,
「世尊,醫王啊,
You heal the diseases of humans, gods, and nāgas.
您醫治人、天神和龍的疾病。
O Blessed One, teacher of lasting bliss,
世尊啊,永恆幸福的教導者,
Why have you shown your smile?
你為何微笑呢?
“O qualified one, bestow your instruction upon me!
「嘯合格者,請為我宣說教法!
Billions of gods and humans are here, listening.
億萬天人聚集在此,正在聆聽。
Hearing, their minds will be totally gladdened,
聽聞後,他們的意將完全歡喜。
And the intention of the omniscient one will be enacted.”
而全知者的意圖將會實現。

5.22The Blessed One asked Venerable Ānanda, “Ānanda, did you see Glorious Splendor, son of the Nāga King, standing before me while through his pure motivation he developed the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening?”

5.22世尊問阿難尊者說:「阿難,你看到龍王的兒子光明,站在我面前,以他清淨心而發起無上正等菩提心了嗎?」

“Yes, Blessed One, I did see it.”

「是的,世尊,我看見了。」

5.23The Blessed One said, “Ānanda, in eight hundred countless eons, during the eon Total Vision, Glorious Splendor will become the Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin, appearing in the world Totally Pure and Stable. Ānanda, Glorious Splendor has engaged in the meaningful conduct of bodhisattvas and pleased limitless blessed buddhas. Venerating them, he went forth and engaged in pure conduct. He ripened limitless beings through the three vehicles. Ānanda, Totally Pure and Stable, the world of the Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin, [F.157.b] will be wealthy, extensive, blissful, and pleasant, and it will have good harvests. It will have a huge population and be filled with gods and humans. The humans there will be similar to the gods of the Heaven Free from Strife in their provisions and enjoyments. The lifespan of this thus-gone one will reach ten thousand years. His saṅgha of hearers will be six hundred million strong. His saṅgha of bodhisattvas will number one million two hundred thousand.

5.23世尊說:「阿難,在八百無量劫後,在全體明見劫中,光明將成為無礙眼如來,出現在清淨安樂世界。阿難,光明已經從事菩薩的有意義的修行,並讓無量的佛滿意。他尊敬他們,出家並從事清淨的修行。他通過三乘成熟了無量的眾生。阿難,清淨安樂世界,無礙眼如來的世界,將會富饒、廣闊、幸福和愉快,並且將會有豐收。它將有大量的人口,充滿天神和人類。那裡的人類將在生活資源和享受方面類似於兜率天的天神。這位如來的壽命將達到一萬年。他的聲聞僧團將有六億之多。他的菩薩僧團將有一百二十萬。」

5.24“Ānanda, as soon as the Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin enters these beings’ field of vision, they will achieve the meditative absorption features of love. Ānanda, as soon as beings see the Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin, they will be tamed. Regarding this, anyone on the vehicle of hearers will, upon seeing him for the first time, become a stream enterer. Upon seeing him for the second time, they will achieve the fruit of a once-returner. Upon seeing him for the third time, they will achieve the fruit of a non-returner. Upon seeing him for the fourth time, they will achieve the state of a worthy one. Anyone on the vehicle of bodhisattvas will, upon purely seeing him for the first time, attain the acceptance that phenomena are unborn.

5.24「阿難,無礙眼如來一進入這些眾生的視野,他們就會獲得慈的禪定特徵。阿難,眾生一旦看到無礙眼如來,他們就會被調伏。關於這一點,任何聲聞乘的人在第一次看到他時,就會成為須陀洹。第二次看到他時,他們會證得斯陀含的果位。第三次看到他時,他們會證得阿那含的果位。第四次看到他時,他們會證得應供的境界。任何菩薩乘的人在第一次純淨地看到他時,就會獲得無生法忍。」

5.25“Ānanda, no beings in the world Totally Pure and Stable will ever let their discipline, view, activity, or livelihood degenerate. They will all become certain about what is correct. No beings who die will be reborn in the lower realms; instead they will all be reborn among the humans and gods or into pure buddha realms.” [F.158.a]

5.25「阿難,清淨安樂世界中的眾生永遠不會讓自己的戒、見、行和命墮落。他們全部都會對正確之法堅定不移。沒有眾生死後會被重生在惡道;相反,他們全部都會被重生在人道和天道中,或者投生到淨佛世界。」

5.26When Glorious Splendor, the son of the Nāga King Sāgara, heard this prophecy himself, he was satisfied, happy, delighted, joyful, and at ease. Presenting a net of pearls adorned with hundreds of thousands of precious gems to the body of the Thus-Gone One, he pressed his ten fingers and palms together and praised the Blessed One directly with these fitting verses:

5.26海龍王的兒子光明聽到這個授記後,內心滿足、快樂、欣喜、歡喜,得到安樂。他獻上用數百萬珍寶裝飾的珍珠網給如來的身體,合十恭敬,直接用這些恰當的偈頌讚歎世尊:

“Lord of Humans, your face shines like immaculate moonlight.
「人中之主,你的面容如清淨的月光般閃耀。
Infinite splendor, venerated by the gods and humans,
無量的光輝,為天人所敬禮,
Incomparable strength, infinite power‍—
無比的力量,無盡的威能——
I bow my head to you, immeasurable wisdom!
我頂禮於你,無量的般若!
“O immeasurable wisdom that benefits all,
「啊,利益一切眾生的無量般若啊,
Whose insight, likewise, is unfathomable,
其般若亦不可度量,
With discipline immaculate, firm, and pure‍—
具足清淨、堅固的戒律——
I prostrate to you, Lord of Humans, who are like the sphere of space!
我向你頂禮,人中之主啊,你如虛空界一般!
“Engaging in practices for countless infinite eons,
「經歷無數無量的劫,修行各種修持,」
You attained the wisdom of buddhahood.
您證得了佛的般若。
Thereby, you know the behavior of beings
因此,你了知眾生的行為
And likewise their faculties and thoughts.
以及眾生的根和念頭。
“O Blessed One, your form is incomparable in the world,
「世尊啊,您的色身在世間無與倫比,」
And beings therefore never grow satisfied in beholding you.
因此,眾生對於觀看你永遠不會感到滿足。
Their afflictions are prevented from arising,
他們的煩惱被阻止生起。
And in that moment all are quelled.
在那個時刻,一切都被平息了。
“The calls of the kalaviṅka and cuckoo, the music of the kinnaras,
「迦陵頻伽和杜鵑的鳴叫聲,緊那羅的音樂,
And likewise the sounds of Brahmā and the asuras‍—
以及梵天和阿修羅的聲音也是如此——
Any such pleasing sound heard in the ten directions
十方中所聽到的任何令人愉悅的聲音
Is outclassed by the single voice of the Well-Gone One.
都被善逝的一個聲音所超越。
“It’s possible the moon could fall from the sky.
「月亮有可能從天空墜落。
It’s possible the ocean could dry up and Mount Meru be reduced to dust.
海可能乾涸,須彌山可能化為塵埃。
It’s possible the sky could fall to the earth and shatter into a hundred pieces.
天空可能會墜落到地面,碎裂成百片。
But nothing, on the other hand, could happen to the Victor’s voice.
但勝者的聲音,絕對不會發生任何變化。
“Observing the conduct of truth, the Teacher has
「觀察真實的行,這位教師已經
Granted me prophecy guided by awakened wisdom.
賜予我由覺悟般若所引導的授記。
I have no doubt, hesitation, or skepticism about whether
我對於是否會成為獨覺、成為品質的化身,沒有任何懷疑、猶豫或疑慮。
I will become a self-arisen victor, the embodiment of qualities.
我將成為獨覺,是德行的化身。
“One could finely decorate the ten directions with countless billions of jewels
「人們可以用無數億的珍寶,精心裝飾十方。
And offer them to the guides. [F.158.b]
並將這些獻供給導師。
But the merit of this would not equal even a fraction
但這樣的福德也比不上生起一次菩提心所得福德的萬分之一。
Of that of arousing the mind set on awakening just once.
不如有人發起菩提心一次的福德。
“Those who develop the supreme mind set on awakening
「那些生起最高菩提心的人們
Elevate their veneration of the buddhas to the highest degree.
將他們對諸佛的供養提升到最高的境界。
One who does not interrupt this mode of the guides
不中斷導師這種方式的人
Will repay the kindness of the ten powers.”
將報十力之恩。

5.36When Glorious Splendor, son of the Nāga King Sāgara, spoke these consummate verses, ten thousand beings developed the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening. They announced, “When the Blessed Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin attains awakening, may we meet this blessed one and be reborn in the world Totally Pure and Stable. May we uphold the sublime Dharma of that thus-gone one, venerate him, and serve him. Following that blessed one, may we also fully awaken.”

5.36當海龍王之子光明說出這些圓滿的偈頌時,一萬個眾生發起了追求無上正等菩提的心意。他們宣布:「當世尊無礙眼如來成就菩提時,願我們得以親見這位世尊,並在清淨安樂世界中投生。願我們守護那位如來崇高的法,供養他,侍奉他。跟隨那位世尊,願我們也能圓滿證得菩提。」

5.37The Blessed One then gave the prophecy that all of them would be reborn in the buddha realm of the Thus-Gone One Amoghadarśin.

5.37世尊於是為他們授記,他們都將在無礙眼如來的佛剎中降生。

Chapter Five: Prophecy - The Questions of the Nāga King Sāgara (1) - 84001