Chapter Eight: Nāga King Sāgara’s Prophecy

第八章:海龍王的授記

8.1The four garuḍas, the kings of the birds, heard of the Thus-Gone One’s blessing and were displeased. With due haste, they made their way to where the Blessed One was. Arriving, they bowed their heads before the Blessed One, encircled him three times, and asked, “Blessed One, if we do not kill our prey, what shall we do?”

8.1四位金翅鳥王聽聞如來的加持,心裡不高興。他們匆匆趕往世尊所在之處。到達後,向世尊頂禮,繞世尊三圈,然後問道:「世尊,如果我們不殺害獵物,我們應該怎麼辦?」

8.2The Blessed One answered, “Friends, four types of food will lead one to be reborn as a hell being, an animal, or a resident of the realms of the Lord of Death. What are these four? Friends, any food that involves taking a being’s life, harming another being, or supporting oneself through taking the life of another is the first type of food that will lead one to be reborn as a hell being, an animal, or a resident of the realms of the Lord of Death. Furthermore, friends, any food that involves stealing, destroying another’s livelihood, or striking someone with a club, sword, weapon, or tool is the second type of food that will lead one to be reborn as a hell being, an animal, or a resident of the realms of the Lord of Death. Friends, any food that involves deceit, disrespect, or harming another, or that involves making a show of having genuine conduct while having degenerate behavior, [F.181.a] discipline, view, livelihood, or wrong and inappropriate qualities is the third type of food that will lead one to be reborn as a hell being, an animal, or a resident of the realms of the Lord of Death. Friends, any food that involves falsely claiming to be a teacher when one is not, claiming to be living appropriately when one is not, claiming to be a mendicant when one is not, or claiming to observe pure conduct when one is not, is the fourth type of food that will lead one to be reborn as a hell being, an animal, or a resident of the realms of the Lord of Death. Friends, I can teach the Dharma because I have genuinely desisted from partaking of these four types of food.

8.2世尊答道:「諸友,有四種食物會導致一個眾生轉生為地獄眾生、畜生或閻羅之域的居民。這四種是什麼呢?諸友,任何涉及奪取眾生生命、傷害他人眾生或通過奪取他人生命來維持自己生存的食物,是第一種會導致轉生為地獄眾生、畜生或閻羅之域居民的食物。此外,諸友,任何涉及偷盜、破壞他人命、用棍棒、刀劍、武器或工具打擊他人的食物,是第二種會導致轉生為地獄眾生、畜生或閻羅之域居民的食物。諸友,任何涉及欺詐、不尊重或傷害他人的食物,或涉及表現出具有真正行為而實際上有不當行為、戒、見、命或邪惡不當特質的食物,是第三種會導致轉生為地獄眾生、畜生或閻羅之域居民的食物。諸友,任何涉及虛假聲稱自己是導師而非導師、聲稱自己行為適當而非適當、聲稱自己是沙門而非沙門,或聲稱自己遵守清淨行為而非遵守清淨行為的食物,是第四種會導致轉生為地獄眾生、畜生或閻羅之域居民的食物。諸友,我能夠教導法,是因為我已經真正戒絕了這四種食物。」

8.3“Friends, to sustain one’s body, one should not take the lives of others. Why is this? Because all beings cherish and prize their lives. Therefore, friends, in order to protect oneself, to protect one’s next life, and to bring all beings happiness, learned persons should never take the lives of others or do anything untoward, even at the cost of their own lives.”

8.3「朋友們,為了維持自己的身體,不應該奪取他人的生命。為什麼呢?因為一切眾生都珍惜和看重自己的生命。因此,朋友們,為了保護自己,為了保護自己的來世,以及為了給予一切眾生幸福,有智慧的人不應該奪取他人的生命,也不應該做任何不當的事情,即使這會付出自己的生命為代價。」

8.4Then the four garuḍas, the kings of the birds, with each of their millions of servants, said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, we take refuge in the Thus-Gone One, the Dharma, and the Saṅgha of monks. We confess our previous misdeeds. Henceforth, we accept these vows: we will avoid scaring any class of nāga, and we will, for as long as the Blessed One’s sublime Dharma remains, continuously exert ourselves in venerating the Thus-Gone One.” [F.181.b]

8.4那時,四位金翅鳥王各帶著數百萬的眷屬,對世尊說:"世尊,我們皈依如來、皈依法、皈依僧團。我們懺悔以往的罪過。從今以後,我們接受這些誓願:我們將不再驚嚇任何龍族,我們將在世尊殊勝的法存在的期間,持續精進地恭敬供養如來。"

8.5In turn the Blessed One said to the four garuḍas, the kings of the birds, “Friends, in the scriptures of the Thus-Gone One Kanakamuni, you four were monks named Nanda , Mahānanda, Superior, and Superior Teacher. The four monks grew intoxicated with arrogance at their material gain, honor, and fame. They also grew intoxicated with arrogance at their relatives’ houses and the houses that distribute alms, and their discipline, behavior, and views were degenerate. Because of this, they disturbed and did harm to the disciplined monks. In this way, they did not restrain their body, speech, and mind but engaged in many misdeeds. Still, these four monks nevertheless offered much service to the Thus-Gone One Kanakamuni. Therefore, you did not go to hell but instead took birth here in the animal realm. Because previously you did not restrain yourselves, you have now taken many lives and engaged in many negative actions. You have frightened many beings.”

8.5世尊對四位迦樓羅鳥王說道:「朋友們,在迦那迦牟尼如來的經典中,你們四位曾經是名叫難陀、大難陀、殊勝和殊勝師的比丘。這四位比丘因為物質的獲得、名譽和名聲而沉溺於驕傲。他們也因為親戚的住所和施捨齋食的住所而沉溺於驕傲,並且他們的戒律、行為和見解都已墮落。因為這樣,他們騷擾了具戒的比丘,並對他們造成傷害。就這樣,他們沒有約束自己的身、語、意,反而進行了許多惡行。儘管如此,這四位比丘仍然為迦那迦牟尼如來提供了許多服侍。因此,你們沒有墮入地獄,而是轉生到了畜生道。由於你們以前沒有約束自己,你們現在已經奪取了許多生命,進行了許多負面的行為。你們嚇到了許多眾生。」

8.6The Blessed One then created a miracle that enabled the four garuḍas, the kings of the birds, to remember their past lives in that moment. Thus they were able to remember being monks with the Thus-Gone One Kanakamuni and to recall the karma they accumulated.

8.6世尊隨後示現了神變,使得四位迦樓羅鳥王在那一刻能夠憶起他們的宿世。因此他們得以憶起曾經是迦那迦牟尼如來身邊的比丘,並且回憶起他們所積累的業。

8.7They then said directly to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, the mind is wild, difficult to tame, and hard to control. At that time we were filled with craving, and so we failed to please the Blessed Thus-Gone One Kanakamuni. So henceforth, Blessed One, we will commit no negative actions, even if it means giving up our own lives.” [F.182.a]

8.7他們隨即直接對世尊說:"世尊,心性狂野,難以調伏,難以控制。當時我們被愛所充滿,因此未能使世尊迦那迦牟尼如來歡喜。所以從此以後,世尊,即使為了不造作負面的業行而需要捨棄我們的生命,我們也不會做出。"

8.8The Blessed One then gave them a Dharma message that brought them much joy, saying, “Friends, you will be counted among the Thus-Gone One Maitreya’s first assembly.”

8.8世尊隨後對他們開示了法義,使他們獲得很大的歡喜,說道:「諸位朋友,你們將被列入如來彌勒最初的眾會中。」

8.9At this point, the Blessed One, having completed all his necessary activities for the benefit of beings in the ocean, said to Nāga King Sāgara, “Nāga Lord, come forward. Gather my seat and cushion. I am going back to my realm.”

8.9此時,世尊已經完成了在海中利益眾生的一切必要工作,對海龍王說道:「龍王啊,請前來。替我收拾座位和坐墊。我要回到我的境界去了。」

8.10The Blessed One then rose from his seat with his attendants and departed from the ocean via the jeweled staircase along with the great assembly, accompanied by much veneration, and displaying the eminence of a buddha. To the singing of song, he arrived at the shore of the ocean.

8.10世尊隨即起座,與侍者一同離開座位,與大眾會一起沿著寶石階梯離開了大海,眾人對他進行了大供養,顯現出佛陀的殊勝莊嚴。在歌唱聲中,他到達了海岸邊。

8.11Luminous Maiden, an ocean goddess, then offered these verses of praise to the Blessed One:

8.11光明女神,一位海洋女神,隨後對世尊唱誦了以下讚歎的偈頌:

“You are venerated by gods and humans and possess the thirty-two marks.
「你受到天人的供養,具有三十二相。
Supreme human, served by the lord of the asuras, today I prostrate to you.
最尊貴的人啊,受到阿修羅之主的侍奉,今天我向您頂禮。
Your eyes are like lotuses and your face resembles the moon.
你的眼睛如同蓮花,你的面容如同月亮。
You are elevated by virtuous qualities and bestow bliss‍—today I prostrate to you.
你因善法而崇高,並賜予安樂——今日我向你頂禮。
“Teacher whose perfect body bears the marks of much merit,
「身具圓滿相、福德所莊嚴的導師啊,
Noble guide of qualities and wisdom, today I prostrate to you.
具足善法與般若的殊勝引導者,我今日向你頂禮。
Ennobled by your generosity and gentleness, you amass excellent discipline.
因檀波羅蜜和溫和而高貴,你積聚完美的戒。
Supreme human ennobled by the power of patience, today I prostrate to you.
以忍辱之力而得尊貴的至高人類,今日我向您頂禮。
“Arisen from the power of diligence, you trained in concentration and intelligence.
「從精進的力量而生,你修習禪定和慧。
Your insight equals the sky‍—today I bow my head to you.
你的般若如虛空一樣廣大——今日我向你頂禮。
Your heart is filled with love, and you look upon beings with compassion.
你的心充滿了慈,你以悲心看待眾生。
You delight the guides as you always abide in the perfection of equanimity.
你總是安住於捨波羅蜜,以此使導師們歡喜。
“Your voice resembles the kalaviṅka bird, revealing the speech of Brahmā. [F.182.b]
「你的聲音像迦陵頻伽鳥一樣,展現梵天的言語。
O teacher with your melodious voice, today I prostrate to you.
音聲甜美的教師啊,我今天向你頂禮。
You have defeated the hordes of Māra and absolutely decimated Māra’s power.
你已經擊敗了魔的眾多軍隊,完全摧毀了魔的力量。
Perfecting the discipline of awakening, the three realms of existence venerate you.
圓滿菩提戒律,三界恭敬禮拜你。
“You who have purified the three stains and teach the three liberations,
您已清淨三垢,教導三解脫門,
Famous throughout the three worlds, today I bow my head to you.
聞名遍佈三界,今日我向你頂禮。
Mastering the excellent conduct of truth, you are eternally elevated by Dharma.
掌握真理的殊勝行持,你被法永恆地尊崇。
Always protecting others, you always master wisdom.
你常常保護眾生,常常掌握般若。
“You defeated the enemy of the afflictions and arouse extraordinary awe.
「你征服了煩惱的敵人,並喚起非凡的敬畏。
O lotus-like eyes, today I bow my head to you.
蓮花般的眼睛啊,今日我向你頂禮。
Your realization is lofty like Mount Meru’s peak and stable like a vajra.
你的覺悟如須彌山頂般高聳,如金剛般堅固穩定。
With a mind like the earth filled with an ocean of qualities, I prostrate to you.
以心如大地、功德如海洋的您,我向您頂禮。
“O you who teach beings emptiness and perfect tranquility,
「啊,教導眾生空和究竟寂靜的您,
You whose heart is always peaceful, in you I take refuge.
你的心常常寂靜,我向你皈依。
O teacher of sublime nectar who eliminates unwanted destinies,
啊,殊勝甘露的教導者,消除不善趣的導師啊,
To you who are venerated by both gods and humans, today I bow my head.
今日我向受到天人恭敬禮拜的您低眉順眼致敬。
“You are renowned on Earth and in the heavens‍—O noble one, you are renowned.
「你在地上和天界都享有盛名——尊貴者啊,你確實享有盛名。」
To such vast and inexhaustible qualities, source of such qualities‍—I bow!
向如此廣大無盡的功德,以及這些功德的根源──我頂禮!
You practice as you preach, and you preach as you practice,
你所實踐的就是你所宣說的,你所宣說的就是你所實踐的,
Inspiring us to do as you practice and preach. Today I bow my head to you.
啟發我們按照你所實踐和宣說的去行動。今天我向你頂禮。
“O doctor who liberates from aging and death, one served by beings,
「啊,解救眾生脫離老死的醫生啊,被眾生所侍奉者,
Teacher of the path of freedom, today I bow my head to you.
教導解脫道的老師,今天我向你頂禮。
You teach the function of causes and dispel the darkness of views.
你教導因果的作用,驅散見的黑暗。
O teacher of the supreme path, Victor, I take refuge in you.
尊崇的至高之道的教師、勝者,我皈依你。
“Sole distributor of what is valuable, preaching the joy of Dharma,
「獨一無二的寶貴事物分配者,宣講法的喜悅,
In you, whose heart is like the earth, I take refuge.
我向你皈依,你的心如同大地一樣。
O Guide whose ocean of qualities is worthy of praise,
啊,具足功德大海值得讚頌的引導者啊,
May my store of merit begin to resemble yours!”
願我的福德資糧能夠開始接近您的福德資糧!

8.22After Luminous Maiden, a goddess of the ocean, offered the Blessed One these verses of praise, she said, “Blessed One, since you have departed, the ocean is no longer as beautiful. So please do teach [F.183.a] me something so that I can beautify the ocean. That would be wonderful, absolutely wonderful.”

8.22光明女神海洋女神向世尊獻頌讚歎後說道:「世尊,自從您離開後,海洋不再像從前那樣美麗。所以請教導我一些法門,使我能裝飾這片海洋。那就太好了,實在太好了。」

8.23The Blessed One then said to Luminous Maiden, goddess of the ocean, “Luminous Maiden, these ten qualities will become adornments. What are these ten? They are arousing a loving mind for the sake of perfecting the path of the ten virtuous actions, practicing great compassion for the sake of not harming any being, practicing joy that causes the mind to direct one’s intentions to unsurpassed and perfect awakening, performing all forms of giving, having stable diligence in making aspirations that create diverse ornaments, practicing mindfulness and awareness for the sake of perfecting all the roots of virtue, possessing and desiring the Dharma so that one’s previous virtues do not go to waste and so that one perfects insight, using beneficial things to arouse all manner of positive qualities in all beings, gaining deepening realization of nonduality, and achieving recollection of the Buddha through applying oneself to what the Buddha has mastered. Luminous Maiden, these ten qualities will become adornments.”

8.23世尊對海龍王的光明女神說:「光明女神,這十種功德將會成為莊嚴。這十種是什麼呢?就是為了完成十善業道而生起慈心,為了不傷害任何眾生而修習大悲,修習喜樂使心念趨向無上正等菩提,進行一切布施,在發願中保持穩定的精進以創造各種莊嚴,為了完成一切善根而修習念和覺,對法的渴慕和擁有使得之前的善根不會浪費並完成般若,用有益的事物在一切眾生中激發各種正面的功德,深化對不二的實現,以及透過修習佛所證悟的法來成就對佛的憶念。光明女神,這十種功德將會成為莊嚴。」

8.24Then Luminous Maiden, goddess of the ocean, along with ten thousand goddesses, developed the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening. She then said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, they are indeed ornaments of the ocean. Why is this? Blessed One, if the mind set on awakening is an ornament of all the worlds of the great trichiliocosm, why even mention the ocean? Thus, in order to adorn every buddha realm, we have developed the mind set on awakening. [F.183.b] Whether the Blessed Thus-Gone One lives or has passed into parinirvāṇa, as long as we live in the ocean, we commit to constantly exerting ourselves for the sake of protecting the sublime Dharma. Blessed One, whenever you go to a village, we commit to revealing this entire display. Whenever you deliver a Dharma lecture, we commit to manifesting the array in the courtyard.”

8.24光明女神及海洋中的一萬位女神,於是發起了菩提心。她對世尊說道:「世尊,這些確實是海洋的莊嚴。為什麼呢?世尊,如果菩提心是整個三千大千世界所有世間的莊嚴,何必只談海洋呢?因此,為了莊嚴每一個佛剎,我們已經發起了菩提心。無論世尊住世或已經般涅槃,只要我們住在海洋中,我們就承諾要不斷精進,為了護持您殊勝的法。世尊,每當您到訪一個村莊,我們承諾要顯現這整個場景。每當您宣講佛法,我們承諾要在法堂中顯現莊嚴的場景。」

8.25The Blessed One responded, “Luminous Maiden, in the same way, you have previously venerated ten thousand buddhas. You also manifested the array in their courtyard and protected their sublime Dharma. After this Fortunate Eon has passed, you will take rebirth in the Thus-Gone One Akṣobhya’s buddha realm, Abhirati, where you will exchange the attributes of a woman and achieve the attributes of a man. You will be prophesied to unsurpassed and perfect awakening by the Thus-Gone One Akṣobhya.”

8.25世尊說道:「光明女神,同樣地,你在過去曾經供養過一萬位佛。你也在他們的庭院中示現莊嚴的排列,並保護了他們的殊勝法。在善劫結束後,你將在不動如來的佛剎妙喜世界中獲得新生,在那裡你將捨棄女性的特徵,獲得男性的特徵。不動如來將為你授記無上正等菩提。」

8.26When Luminous Maiden, goddess of the ocean, heard about this prophecy from the Blessed One, she was satisfied, pleased, delighted, and overjoyed. She adorned the Blessed One’s body with precious jewels and garlands of precious substances of similar value from the ocean. Joining her ten fingers and palms together, she spoke the following verses to the Blessed One:

8.26光明女神聽到世尊的授記之後,內心歡喜滿足,極為高興。她用海洋中的珍寶和價值相等的珍貴物質的花環莊嚴世尊的身體。合掌恭敬,用偈頌向世尊說道:

“I will be prophesied by the Sage, who is the source of all wisdom and qualities.
「我將被具有一切智慧與功德來源的聖者為我授記。
I will not doubt or hesitate at all about those who will be my guides. [F.184.a]
我對那些將成為我的引導者的人,不會有絲毫懷疑或猶豫。
Though the ground of the trichiliocosm could split, and the moon could fall from the sky,
雖然三千大千世界的大地可能會裂開,月亮也可能從天空中墜落,
The Buddha, venerated by the highest gods, could never speak mistaken words.
佛受到最高天神的尊敬,永遠不會說出錯誤的言語。
“Look at how your mind’s loving intention is not disturbed by the tasks of diligence!
「看你的意念中充滿慈愛,精進的任務也不能動搖它!
Look at how I am respectful of the phenomena of the wisdom of emptiness!
看我如何恭敬於空性般若的諸法!
Look at the authentic conduct of the Well-Gone One and his unimpeded wisdom!
看善逝的真實行為和他無礙的般若!
Thus, knowing the truth of my mind’s objects, you accordingly gave prophecy.
因此,了知我的意念對象的真實性,你相應地給予了授記。
“Homage to you who have highest aspirations, bring bliss, and liberate suffering.
「向您敬禮,您懷有最高的志向,帶來喜樂,解脫眾生的苦。
You are the locus, refuge, support, and protector, giving freedom from fear to the fearful.
你是依止處、皈依、支持和保護者,為害怕的眾生賜予無懼的解脫。
Homage to you, Victor who shows the sublime and perfect path and eliminates bad paths.
皈依您,勝者,您顯示殊勝與圓滿的道路,並消除不善的道路。
Homage to you who see the world, who are learned, a guide who transcends the world.
我向您致敬,您能看見世間,具有廣博的智慧,是超越世間的導師。
“All the gods and humans here have heard of the Buddha, Dharma, and Assembly
「這裡所有的天人都聽聞過佛、法、眾會
And achieved, wonderfully attained, the conduct and intention of awakening.
並且達成、殊勝成就了菩提的行為與意願。
They are without fear of the lower realms and free of the eight unfavorable states.
他們不害怕惡道,遠離八難。
For them the happiness of gods and humans is certain, and they will achieve peace.”
他們必定得到天人的快樂,並將證得寂靜。

8.31Priyadarśana , the son of the Nāga King Sāgara, then said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, given that many gods, nāgas, yakṣas, gandharvas, asuras, garuḍas, kinnaras, mahoragas, humans, and nonhumans are venerating the Blessed One, if the Blessed One were to give me permission, I would commit to performing a small action in veneration of the Thus-Gone One. I would ask the Blessed One to rest in a mansion set up like the Vaijayanta Palace [F.184.b] with servants, which we would then carry to Vulture Peak Mountain.”

8.31海龍王的兒子可喜見說道:「世尊,現在有許多天神、龍、夜叉、乾闥婆、阿修羅、迦樓羅、緊那羅、摩睺羅伽、人類和非人眾生都在供養世尊。如果世尊允許我,我願意承諾為如來做一個小小的供養行為。我想請世尊在一座如帝釋天宮一樣精心布置的宮殿中休息,宮殿裡備有侍者,我們將把它帶到靈鷲山去。」

The Blessed One responded, “Noble child, if you see that the time is right, carry me there.”

世尊回答說:「善子,如果你認為時機合適,就將我運送到那裡去吧。」

8.32Through the power of the Buddha and his own miraculous abilities, Nāga King Sāgara’s son Priyadarśana then conjured a mansion like the Vaijayanta Palace and installed the Blessed One there with servants. It then rose into the air, and while eighty-four thousand nāga girls played instruments, sang songs, and cast down a rain of flowers, myriad divine incense, and powders, the Blessed One was gradually carried to Vulture Peak Mountain.

8.32藉由佛的威力和他自身的神通力,海龍王的兒子可喜見世界便變現出一座像帝釋天宮一樣的宮殿,將世尊安置在宮殿內並配有侍者。宮殿隨後升空,在八萬四千條龍女奏樂、唱歌和撒下花雨、無數天香和香粉的同時,世尊被逐漸運往靈鷲山。

8.33Nāga King Sāgara and his children, wives, and servants then touched the Blessed One’s feet and begged the Blessed One’s forgiveness: “Blessed One, please forgive us for any way in which we did not serve you correctly. Why do we ask this? Blessed One, it is appropriate to venerate you with every kind of jewel that there is. The Blessed One is a precious and unsurpassed merit field for all beings, and it is fitting that he is venerated. Yet we are unable to provide or gather all that all beings in all the worlds of the great trichiliocosm have, even though the Thus-Gone One is worthy of such unlimited veneration. That is why we ask for your forgiveness. Blessed One, moreover, how should bodhisattvas venerate the Thus-Gone One?”

8.33海龍王及其子女、妻妾和眷屬們隨後觸禮世尊的雙足,向世尊懇求寬恕:「世尊,請寬恕我們在侍奉您時所有的不周之處。我們為何要這樣祈求呢?世尊,用世間所有的珍寶來供養您是應當的。世尊是所有眾生最珍貴、最殊勝的福田,受到供養是理所當然的。然而我們無法提供或匯聚三千大千世界中所有眾生所有擁有的一切,儘管如來值得無限的供養。這就是我們祈求寬恕的原因。世尊,菩薩應當如何供養如來呢?」

8.34The Blessed One answered, “Nāga Lord, listen to how bodhisattvas should earnestly [F.185.a] venerate the Thus-Gone One. Purity of intention is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because it is not contrived or deceptive. Purity of motivation is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because it takes aim at all roots of virtue. The mind without aggression is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because it has an equanimous attitude toward all beings. Abandoning hypocrisy and flattery are veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they are pure conduct. Practicing what one preaches is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because it does not deceive the world. Satisfaction with the family of noble ones and not giving up the qualities of training that one has adopted are veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they are steadfast in their resolve. Delighting in solitude and spurning gossip are veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they tame the mind. Contemplation in accordance with what one has heard is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because it yields understanding that is accurate. Realization of the absence of self, a being, a life principle, a soul, and personhood is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they are primordially unarisen. Understanding empty phenomena, realizing the absence of marks, and being free from wishes are veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they actualize the gateways of liberation. Understanding this conditionality and eliminating extreme views are veneration of the Thus-Gone One [F.185.b] because they eliminate the views of eternalism and nihilism. Acceptance of the nonarising and unborn is veneration of the Thus-Gone One because they are by nature unarisen. In this way, Nāga Lord, contrivances of body, speech, and mind are not pure veneration of the Thus-Gone One. However, where there is no contrivance of body, speech, and mind, that is pure veneration of the Thus-Gone One. Where there is no premeditation, no acceptance, no rejection, the purity of the three spheres, the equality of the three times, and the elimination of the three stains, where one does not depend on the three realms, enters the three gateways of liberation, and understands the three forms of knowing, these are veneration of the Thus-Gone One.”

8.34世尊回答說:「龍王,你要聽聽菩薩應該如何至誠地供養如來。意念的清淨是供養如來,因為它不是虛偽造作的。動機的清淨是供養如來,因為它目標是開發所有善根。沒有瞋心的心是供養如來,因為它對一切眾生保持平等心。放棄虛偽和諂媚是供養如來,因為它們是清淨的行為。言行一致是供養如來,因為它不欺騙世間。對聖者群體滿足,不放棄已經採納的學習品質是供養如來,因為它們在誓言上堅定。樂於獨處、遠離閒言碎語是供養如來,因為它們調伏心意。依照所聞進行觀想是供養如來,因為它產生準確的智慧。體證無自我、無眾生、無命者、無靈魂、無人格是供養如來,因為它們自來就未曾生起。理解現象的空性、體悟無相、遠離各種願望是供養如來,因為它們成就解脫門。理解緣起、消除邊見是供養如來,因為它們消除常見和斷見。接納無生和不起是供養如來,因為它們本性上未曾生起。龍王,如此以來,身、語、意的虛偽造作不是清淨的供養如來。然而,當身、語、意沒有虛偽造作時,那才是清淨的供養如來。當沒有預謀、沒有認可、沒有拒絕,三輪清淨、三世平等、消除三垢,不依附於三界,進入解脫門,理解三明,這些才是供養如來。」

8.35Nāga King Sāgara said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, does veneration of the Blessed One with flowers, perfumes, incense, flower garlands, lotions, powders, parasols, banners, pennants, clothing, food, bedding, seats, healing medicine, provisions, cymbals, and instruments also count as veneration of the Thus-Gone One?”

8.35海龍王對世尊說:"世尊,用花、香、燒香、花鬘、油膏、粉末、傘蓋、旗幡、彩帶、衣服、食物、臥具、座椅、藥物、資具、鐃鈸和樂器來供養世尊,這也算是供養如來嗎?"

8.36The Blessed One answered, “Nāga Lord, through such unsurpassed veneration, one will be purified. However, such veneration is not completely final, immaculate, or pure. Still, Nāga Lord, such trainings in producing roots of virtue do lead to the liberation of the noble ones, which is better than not producing roots of virtue that are states of mind. Moreover, Nāga Lord, bodhisattvas possessing four qualities [F.186.a] venerate the Thus-Gone One. What are these four? They are gathering the accumulation of merit through not forgetting the mind set on awakening, gathering the accumulation of wisdom through the mind practicing great compassion, purifying buddha realms through the mind that is engaged in extraordinary diligence, and arousing acceptance through arousing the mind set on the profound and vast Dharma. Nāga Lord, bodhisattvas possessing these four qualities venerate the Thus-Gone One.”

8.36世尊答道:「龍王,通過這樣的無上供養,人會得到淨化。然而,這樣的供養並不完全是究竟、無垢或清淨的。不過龍王,這樣的修行確實能夠培育善根,導向聖者的解脫,這比不培育善根的心念狀態要好得多。此外龍王,具足四種特質的菩薩供養如來。這四種是什麼呢?就是通過不忘失菩提心來積聚福德資糧,通過修習大悲心來積聚般若資糧,通過精進修行來淨化佛國土,以及通過對深奧廣大的法生起認可來激發菩提心。龍王,具足這四種特質的菩薩就是這樣供養如來的。」

8.37When the priests, kṣatriyas, householders, village people, countrymen, and King Ajātaśatru and his ministers, inner retinue, gatekeepers, assembly, and merchants heard that the Blessed One had taken food in Nāga King Sāgara’s realm and returned to Vulture Peak Mountain, they came out from the city of Rājagṛha with seventy-two thousand beings, in addition to King Ajātaśatru’s retinue of thirty-two thousand, and proceeded to Vulture Peak Mountain. As they arrived, they bowed their heads to the Blessed One’s feet, circumambulated him three times, and sat to one side.

8.37當僧人、剎帝利、居士、村民、鄉民及阿闍世王與他的大臣、內侍、守門人、眾會和商人聽說世尊在海龍王的領域內用過齋食並返回靈鷲山時,他們從王舍城出發,隨同阿闍世王的三萬二千人的隨從,加上另外七萬二千位眾生,一起前往靈鷲山。他們到達後,向世尊的雙足禮拜,繞行三圈,然後坐在一旁。

8.38King Ajātaśatru then asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, when the Thus-Gone One went into the ocean, what happened to the great mass of water that is normally there?”

8.38阿闍世王隨即問世尊道:「世尊,如來進入海洋時,通常在那裡的大水體發生了什麼事?」

8.39The Blessed One answered, “Great king, when a monk enters the absorption of the fire element, he sees all the worlds of the great trichiliocosm filled with fire. At that point, where has all the water gone?” [F.186.b]

8.39世尊回答說:「大王,當一位比丘進入火大禪定時,他看見整個三千大千世界充滿了火。在那個時候,所有的水都到哪裡去了呢?」

“Blessed One, the mind of one who has achieved the power of meditative absorption has this kind of capability.”

「世尊,已經獲得禪定力量的人,他的意念具有這樣的能力。」

8.40“Great king, if you accept that the mind of a hearer who has achieved the power of absorption and attainment is capable, do you not accept that a thus-gone one, who is always in a state of equipoise, who is skilled in all absorptions and attainments, who has power over the mind, who is the master of all phenomena, and who has power over phenomena, is also capable of the same? Great king, when I entered the ocean, the beings residing there perceived that I was in the water. However, beings living on dry land perceived that the ocean had evaporated. The light of the Thus-Gone One pervades all the realms of nāgas, gandharvas, and asuras, just as the arrays in the Heaven of Making Use of Others’ Emanations are adorned with every kind of ornament. The beings in the ocean were even loving toward one another, had altruistic minds, and were without the minds of malice and harm.”

8.40大王,如果你認為已經證得禪定力和獲得三昧的聲聞弟子的心識是具有這種能力的,那麼你難道不認為一位如來也具有同樣的能力嗎?如來常住於等持之中,精通於一切禪定和三摩地,具有對心意的主宰力,是一切法的主人,並且具有對法的主宰力。大王,我進入海洋時,住在那裡的眾生都認為我是在水中。但是住在陸地上的眾生認為海洋已經乾涸了。如來的光明遍照一切龍、乾闥婆和阿修羅的領域,就像他化自在天的排列被各種各樣的裝飾品所莊嚴一樣。海洋中的眾生甚至彼此相愛,具有利他之心,沒有瞋恨和傷害的心念。

8.41King Ajātaśatru then remarked to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, how amazing that the eminence of the blessed buddhas’ awakening and the bodhisattvas’ skill in means is so inconceivable and incredible! In this way Nāga King Sāgara could invite the Thus-Gone One in, and so doing accomplish an immeasurable benefit for beings. How long ago, Blessed One, did Nāga King Sāgara develop the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening? Having venerated the Thus-Gone One to this extent, how long [F.187.a] will it take for him to fully awaken to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood? What will the name of this perfect buddha be? What will his buddha realm be like?”

8.41阿闍世王對世尊說道:「世尊,真是令人驚歎啊!諸佛的菩提覺悟和菩薩的方便善巧如此不可思議、難以置信!海龍王就是這樣邀請如來入內,從而為眾生成就了無量的利益。世尊,海龍王在多久以前發起了追求無上正等菩提的心呢?他這樣地恭敬供養如來,還要多久才能圓滿成就無上正等菩提的佛位呢?這位正遍知佛的名號將是什麼呢?他的佛剎將會是什麼樣子呢?」

8.42The Blessed One answered, “Great king, even longer than countless eons ago, an unfathomably and immeasurably long time ago, in the eon called Pleasant and Peaceful, a thus-gone one, a worthy one, a perfect buddha, someone learned and virtuous, a well-gone one, a knower of the world, a charioteer who guides beings, an unsurpassed being, a teacher of gods and humans named Radiant King of Pure Light, appeared in a world to the east called Pure View. Great king, it would be difficult for me to conclusively describe the layout of this world Pure View, even if my lifespan were to last for an eon. Great king, at that time there was a universal monarch named Divine Birth . He venerated the Blessed Thus-Gone One Radiant King of Pure Light for forty-two thousand years, relying on the roots of virtue. Once, in a dream as he was sleeping, he heard the following pair of verses:

8.42世尊回答說:「大王,比那無數劫更久遠,比那不可思議、無法衡量的漫長時間更久遠,在一個叫做『安樂平寧』的劫中,有一位如來、應供、正遍知,學識廣博且德行高尚,是個善逝、世間解、調御眾生的聖者、無上的聖人,是天人師,名叫『清淨光明王如來』,出現在東方一個叫做『清淨見』的世界裡。大王,就算我的壽命長達一劫,要我詳細完整地描述『清淨見』這個世界的樣貌也很困難。大王,當時有一位轉輪王,名叫『天生』。他用善根的力量,對清淨光明王如來世尊進行了四萬二千年的供養。有一次,當他睡著做夢時,聽到了以下這一對詩句:

“ ‘You have mastered the veneration of supreme beings
「你已經掌握了對於至高無上者的供養
In a way that is immeasurable, vast, and inconceivable.
以不可思、廣大、無量的方式。
As a pure being, though you have aroused loving compassion,
身為清淨的眾生,雖然你已經生起慈悲心,
You still must develop the supreme mind set on awakening.
你仍然必須培養最高的菩提心。
“ ‘Those who genuinely accomplish the mind set on awakening
「那些真正成就菩提心的人
Becomes sublime, ennobled, and widely venerated.
變得崇高、高尚,且廣為尊敬。
They become servants of the thus-gone ones,
他們成為如來的僕人,
And their merit to come will be glorious.’ [F.187.b] [B7]
而他們未來的福德將是光榮的。

8.45“Great king, once the night in which the universal monarch Divine Birth heard these two verses was over, he went with his servants to meet the Blessed Thus-Gone One Radiant King of Pure Light. Arriving in his presence, they bowed their heads to the Blessed One’s feet, circumambulated him three times, and sat down before the Blessed One together with eighty-four thousand beings. Joining their palms, they formed the intention to develop the mind set on unsurpassed and perfect awakening. At that time, the universal monarch spoke the following verses:

8.45「大王,當那位名叫神聖誕生的轉輪王聽聞這兩首偈頌的夜晚過去後,他和隨從一起前往拜見世尊光明清淨如來。到達世尊面前後,他們五體投地禮敬世尊的足,繞世尊三圈,然後和八萬四千個眾生一起坐在世尊面前。他們合掌,發起了菩薩心,決定追求無上正等菩提。那時,這位轉輪王說出了以下的偈頌:

“ ‘One cannot realize the supreme awakening
「無法證得至高的菩提
While craving form, depending on sound,
執著於色,依賴於聲,
Dwelling on smell, taste, and tactile sensation,
執著於香、味和觸覺的感受,
Craving the desired, and enjoying pleasures.
貪愛所求之物,沉溺於快樂。
“ ‘One who is lazy, devoted to sordidness,
「懶惰的人,沉溺於污穢,
Stingy, unbound by discipline,
吝嗇,不受戒束縛,
Aggressive, or deluded
好鬥、或愚癡
Cannot realize supreme awakening.
無法實現至高的菩提。
“ ‘One who abandons all pursuit of pleasure,
「捨棄一切追求快樂,
Is patient with all suffering beings,
對所有受苦的眾生都能忍耐。
Sets forth with diligence, and is always passionate for the Dharma
精進出發,對法始終充滿熱情
Will become a buddha for the world.
將成為世間的佛。
“ ‘I have set forth toward buddhahood,
我已經朝向佛位精進前行,
Taking the buddhas and gods as my witnesses.
以諸佛和天神為證。
By all means, may my words not go astray,
無論如何,願我的言語不會偏差,
And may I act in a way that is beneficial.
而且願我所行是有益的。
“ ‘I heard about the mind set on awakening in a dream,
「我在夢中聽聞了菩提心,
And upon hearing this, I set forth toward supreme awakening.
聽到這些話之後,我就朝向究竟菩提而出發。
For this reason, I will become
為此,我將成為
Like the Buddha, the greatest of humans‍—the wise one.’
如同佛,人中最殊勝者——那位智者。

8.51“Great king, if you are wondering, equivocating, or doubting whether he who at that time was the universal monarch Divine Birth was someone else, do not do so. [F.188.a] Why not, great king? Because at that time Nāga King Sāgara was the universal monarch Divine Birth . Furthermore, that was the first time he developed the mind set on awakening.

8.51「大王,如果你對那時的轉輪王神生是否為另一個人產生疑惑、猶豫或懷疑,請勿如此。大王,為什麼呢?因為那時海龍王就是轉輪王神生。此外,那是他第一次發起菩提心。

8.52“Great king, you asked, ‘How long will it take for Nāga King Sāgara to fully awaken to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood?’ Listen to me, great king: in two hundred countless eons, in the eon called Glory of Flowers, Nāga King Sāgara will, in a world called Sound of Dharma , become a blessed one, a thus-gone one, a worthy one, a perfect buddha, someone learned and virtuous, a well-gone one, a knower of the world, a charioteer who guides beings, an unsurpassed being, and a teacher of gods and humans, a blessed buddha called Pure and Immaculate King Who Arises from an Infinite Assembly of Qualities.

8.52「大王,你問道:『海龍王何時才能圓滿覺悟無上正等菩提?』你聽我說,大王:經過二百個無數劫,在名叫「花的榮耀」的劫中,海龍王將在名叫「法音」的世界裡,成為世尊、如來、應供、正遍知,一位學識淵博、品德高尚的人,善逝、世間解、調禦丈夫、無上士,以及天人師,一位名叫「清淨無染王,從無邊功德眾會而起」的佛。

8.53“Great king, the world Sound of Dharma will be adorned with millions of precious materials, marked with gold of the Jambū river and various jewels, divided like a checkerboard, flat like the palm of one’s hand, soft and pleasing to the touch like the plumage of the kācilindi bird, vast and open, replete with millions of continents, prosperous, rich, happy, pleasant, and filled with gods and humans. The people there will have enjoyments and riches like the gods of the Heaven of Making Use of Others’ Emanations. In the world Sound of Dharma will stand rows [F.188.b] of palm trees made entirely of jewels. From the leaves, flowers, and fruits of these palm trees will emanate billions of Dharma sounds. The sounds that resound throughout that world will be as follows: the sounds of the gods, of humans, of nonhumans, of emanations, of birds, and even of the wind. All such sounds will communicate the Dharma. Likewise, such sounds will communicate peace, utter peace, absolute peace, disengagement from pleasure, the qualities of buddhahood, the perfections, the means of attracting disciples, skill in means, disenchantment, the view that is free from attachment, emptiness, the absence of marks, the absence of wishes, and the unconditioned. This is why this world is called Sound of Dharma . Any god or human born in that world will only partake of the food that delights the Dharma, will be skilled in the higher knowledges, and will have no doubt about unsurpassed and perfect awakening.

8.53「大王,那個名叫法音的世界,將以數百萬種珍寶裝飾,以閻浮河的黃金和各種寶石標記,分割得像棋盤一樣,平坦如手掌,柔軟舒適,觸感像迦吒鳥的羽毛一樣,廣闊開放,擁有數百萬個洲,繁榮富裕,快樂安樂,充滿天神和人類。那裡的人民擁有享樂和財富,就像他化自在天的天神一樣。在法音世界中,將矗立著一排排完全由寶石製成的棕櫚樹。[F.188.b]這些棕櫚樹的葉子、花朵和果實將發出數十億種法音。在那個世界迴響的聲音將如下所述:天神的聲音、人類的聲音、非人的聲音、幻化的聲音、鳥類的聲音,甚至風的聲音。所有這些聲音都將傳達法。同樣地,這些聲音將傳達寂靜、完全的寂靜、絕對的寂靜、從快樂的解脫、佛法、波羅蜜、攝受弟子的方法、方便、厭離、遠離貪著的見解、空、無相、無願和無為。這就是為什麼這個世界被稱為法音世界。任何出生在那個世界的天神或人類,將只食用令法喜悅的食物,將精通神通,並且對無上正等菩提沒有任何懷疑。

8.54“When the Blessed Thus-Gone One Pure and Immaculate King Who Arises from an Infinite Assembly of Qualities agrees to teach the Dharma, light will shoot from his body and illuminate all buddha realms. That light will also be the source of the Dharma teachings of ten billion buddhas. The humans and gods there will find joy and vast supreme ecstasy as they perceive the Thus-Gone One’s light and hear his Dharma teaching. [F.189.a] They will come before the Blessed Thus-Gone One Pure and Immaculate King Who Arises from an Infinite Assembly of Qualities and make immeasurable supplications to the Thus-Gone One. Through their miraculous power and higher knowledges, they will be seated cross-legged in the middle of the sky on lotus flowers studded with many gems. The Thus-Gone One will also sit upon a lion throne in the midst of space and teach the Dharma to the gods and humans. When he teaches the Dharma, many countless and immeasurable thousands of bodhisattvas will come to listen. Nobody in that world will be hostile to the Dharma. There will not even be anyone to whom the monikers evil māra or non-Buddhist can be applied. The lifespan of this thus-gone one will be ten eons. His bodhisattvas will be innumerable. In this manner, great king, the displays of that buddha realm will be unfathomable. The Dharma teachings will also be unfathomable. His assembly of servants and bodhisattvas will also be unfathomable.

8.54「當那位世尊、如來、應供、正遍知、純淨無垢王從無量功德眾中興起同意宣說法時,光明會從他的身體射出,照亮所有的佛國土。那光明也將是十十億諸佛法教的源頭。那裡的人類和天神將會感受到喜悅和廣大殊勝的極樂,當他們看見如來的光明並聽到他的法教時。他們將來到世尊、如來、純淨無垢王從無量功德眾中興起的面前,對如來做出不可度量的恭敬祈請。通過他們的神通力和更高的能力,他們將盤腿坐在天空中,坐在鑲嵌許多寶石的蓮花上。如來也將坐在獅子座中,在虛空中為天神和人類宣說法。當他宣說法時,無數無量的千萬菩薩將來聆聽。那個世界中沒有人會敵對法。甚至不會有任何人可以被稱為惡魔或非佛教徒。這位如來的壽命將是十劫。他的菩薩將是無數的。以這種方式,大王啊,那個佛國土的示現將是不可度量的。法教也將是不可度量的。他的僕人和菩薩的集會也將是不可度量的。」