Chapter 5

第五章

5.1The millions of māras then thought, “We should adorn the gates of the city through which the Blessed One is to enter, as well as the earth surrounding them, with sublime and magnificent ornaments in the same manner as the gods, nāgas, and yakṣas have adorned the surroundings of the city.”

5.1那時百萬魔王心想:「我們應該按照天神、龍和夜叉裝飾城市周圍的方式,用殊勝莊嚴的裝飾來裝飾世尊即將進入的城門,以及圍繞在城門周圍的大地。」

5.2With his mind, however, the Blessed One knew the thoughts of the millions of māras,[F.227.a] and he manifested a miracle such that through the twelve gates of the city, twelve blessed buddhas entered the city of Rājagṛha. The millions of māras then, while hovering in the sky, adorned the city gates, the area around them, the city walls, its trees, and the surface of the earth with magical ornaments of the māra realm, as well as countless other magnificent miraculous manifestations set in the finest and most beautiful arrangements. Some of the millions of māras transformed into guises ranging from that of Brahmā to those of great sages. {TK131} From their perch in the sky, they placed various flowers, incense, scented powders, garlands, gold, silver, jewels, and pearls on the windows, ledges, and turrets of the mansions in the city, as well as in the trees. They also cast down a rain of cloth, cotton, linen, and ornaments, played many instruments, and venerated the Blessed One with songs of praise, extolling his qualities. The Blessed One then entered Rājagṛha’s city gates, adorned as they were with a supremely extensive and elevating display made in such a novel, incredible, and miraculous fashion.

5.2世尊用心念知道了百萬魔眾的想法,他顯現了一個奇蹟,使得十二位世尊佛陀通過城市的十二座門進入王舍城。那些百萬魔眾隨後在空中飄浮著,用魔界的魔法莊嚴裝飾城門、周圍地區、城牆、樹木和地面,以及無數其他美妙的奇蹟顯現,以最精美和優雅的方式排列。百萬魔眾中有些變化出從梵天到大仙人的各種形象。他們從空中把各種花卉、香、香粉、花環、黃金、白銀、寶石和珍珠放在城市中宅邸的窗戶、檐邊和塔樓上,以及樹木中。他們也降下布、棉、亞麻和莊嚴品的雨,演奏了許多樂器,用讚頌歌曲崇敬世尊,頌揚他的功德。世尊隨後進入王舍城的城門,城門以如此新奇、不可思議和奇蹟般的方式做出了至高無上、廣大而令人欽仰的裝飾。

5.3As he entered, he touched the threshold of the city gate with the big toe of his right foot. As soon as he did so, the entire great trichiliocosm shook in six different ways. This earthquake was felt by Śakra, Brahmā , Sūrya, Candra, the world protectors, and Maheśvara, as well as all leaders of the gods, nāgas, yakṣas, gandharvas, asuras, garuḍas, kinnaras, and mahoragas, and also by the gods of the earth, water, oceans, cities, [F.227.b] and countryside. It was also felt by all the men, women, {TK132} boys, and girls and all the retinues of the divine great sages up to the Unexcelled Heaven. The earthquake immediately mobilized all these majestic beings to gather at the area surrounding the city of Rājagṛha. From the ground below and the sky above, they cast flowers and incense powder, suitable to the season, toward the Blessed One.

5.3世尊入城時,用右腳的大腳趾觸碰城門的門檻。就在他接觸的一剎那,整個三千大千世界發生了六種不同方式的震動。這場地震被釋提桓因、梵天、日天、月天、護世天王和大自在天,以及所有天神的領導者、龍、夜叉、乾闥婆、阿修羅、迦樓羅、緊那羅和摩睺羅伽的首領所感受到。大地、水、海洋、城市和鄉村的天神也都感受到了,還有所有的男人、女人、男孩、女孩和所有神聖大仙的眷屬,直至非想非非想天,都感受到了。這場地震立刻促使所有這些威嚴的眾生聚集在王舍城周圍的地區。他們從地下和天空上,根據季節投擲花朵和香粉,朝著世尊敬禮。

5.4The Blessed One then scattered the flowers, powders, and so forth into each of the ten directions in order to venerate and honor the buddhas in all the buddha fields‍—pure as well as impure, empty as well as not empty‍—that are as numerous as the atoms in existence. The following verses then rang out from the flowers, powders, and ornaments in those buddha fields:

5.4世尊隨後將花朵、香粉等物灑向十方,以此敬禮和恭敬所有佛剎中的佛陀——無論是清淨或不清淨、空或非空的佛剎,其數量如同存在的微塵一樣眾多。隨後,從那些佛剎中的花朵、香粉和莊嚴之物發出了以下讚誦:

“Quickly, wake up! Consider these things.
「快速覺醒!思考這些事物。
Act conscientiously for awakening.
為菩提而認真行動。
Liberate all the beings
解脫所有的眾生
Wandering in the chasm of saṃsāra! {5.1}
在輪迴的深淵中流浪!{5.1}
“As the time is ripe,
「時機已成熟,
Give up all distractions.
放棄所有的分心。
Bring your past promises to mind {TK133}
將你過去的誓願銘記於心
And you will attain the prophecy of awakening. {5.2}
你將獲得菩提的授記。
“The lord of sages, the great sage for whom there is no anguish,
「智慧的主宰,偉大的聖者,沒有痛苦的那一位,
Has come to the city today to benefit beings.
今日已來到城市以利益眾生。
He has defeated billions of māras,
他已經戰勝了無數的魔。
So the wheel of Dharma is set to be turned. {5.3}
所以法輪即將轉動。{5.3}
“Friends! He is delighting beings in this state of peace!
「朋友們!他在這個寧靜的境界中讓眾生感到歡喜!
He is displaying the substance of his supreme courage!
他正在展現他至高勇氣的實質!
Having liberated beings from their suffering,
已經將眾生從苦難中解脫出來,
He will grant prophecies of awakening today! {5.4}
他將在今天賜予菩提的授記!{5.4}
“The self-arisen one has entered the city that is beyond misery.
自性而生者已進入超越苦難的城市。
Therefore, hasten to that buddha field!
因此,趕快前往那個佛國土吧!
Behold those beautiful things there
看那裡美麗的東西
And gradually orient yourselves toward awakening!” {5.5}
並且逐漸趨向菩提!

5.10Then the bodhisattva great beings, hearers, and great hearers who were settled in mental composure in the grove of Veṇuvana gazed at the Teacher. They saw that the Blessed One was at the gate of the city of Rājagṛha, calm and collected. [F.228.a] All these bodhisattva great beings and great hearers also saw the ranks and formations {TK134} on the edges at the Blessed One’s sides.

5.10那時,在竹林園中安住於心定的菩薩大士、聲聞和大聲聞,都凝視著師尊。他們看見世尊在王舍城的城門處,寂靜安樂。所有這些菩薩大士和大聲聞也都看見了世尊兩側邊緣處的行列和隊伍。

5.11The sound of the verses that came from the flower and powder decorations then rang out in the buddha fields‍—pure and impure, empty and not empty‍—as numerous as the atoms existing throughout the ten directions. When the bodhisattva great beings and hearers in those buddha fields heard the sound, they thought, “How pleasing this sound is. How enjoyable, delightful, satisfying, and pleasant it is. Its great qualities are indeed worthy of praise. Now, whence have this sound and this rain of flowers and powders come?” The bodhisattva great beings and great hearers thus halted their individual virtuous activities in utter amazement.

5.11從花朵和粉末裝飾而來的經文之聲,隨後在佛國土中迴盪——無論是清淨的或不清淨的、空的或不空的——數量如十方所有存在的塵埃般眾多。當那些佛國土中的菩薩大士和聲聞聽到這個聲音時,他們心想:「這聲音多麼令人愉悅啊。多麼享受、多麼喜悅、多麼令人滿足和舒適。它的殊勝功德確實值得讚歎。那麼,這個聲音和這陣花朵與粉末之雨究竟是從何而來呢?」菩薩大士和大聲聞們因此在完全的驚歎中,停止了他們各自的善行。

5.12The blessed, thus-gone Śākyamuni then entered into an absorption called corresponding to the causes of the Buddha’s ornaments and jewelry. As soon as he entered this absorption, {TK135} an immense display appeared throughout this entire Sahā world and all the buddha fields throughout the ten directions. They all became just like the future thus-gone Samantadarśin’s buddha field, which is called Pure and Unstained. In all the buddha fields with their world systems as numerous as atoms, throughout the ten directions, that were all unconstructed yet marvelously adorned, the blessed, thus-gone Śākyamuni appeared‍—clearly, precisely, and brilliantly‍—entering the city gates of Rājagṛha. [F.228.b] As the bodhisattva great beings and great hearers in those buddha fields heard these sounds, they were intrigued. Gazing in all directions, they all saw the Sahā world‍—not very far away. Through the domain of the Buddha, they also saw the divine, miraculously created ornaments.

5.12世尊釋迦牟尼佛陀隨即進入一種名為「與佛陀莊嚴瓔珞之因相應」的定。他一進入這個定,便在整個娑婆世界和十方所有佛國土中出現了一場廣大的顯現。它們全都變成了像未來的普眼如來的佛國土一樣,那個佛國土叫做清淨無垢。在十方所有數量如塵那麼多的佛國土及其世界系統中,那些都是未造作卻妙飾莊嚴的地方,世尊釋迦牟尼佛陀清晰、確切、光明地顯現出來,進入了王舍城的城門。當那些佛國土中的菩薩大有情者和大聲聞聽到這些聲音時,他們都感到著迷。他們向四面八方凝視,全都看到了娑婆世界並不很遠。透過佛陀的領域,他們也看到了神聖、奇蹟般創造出來的莊嚴瓔珞。

5.13The bodhisattva great beings and great hearers then thought, “We should go to see and examine the presence of that great assembly and the qualities of the buddha field. We should go to see, venerate, and serve the thus-gone Śākyamuni. {TK136} There we will definitely receive our prophecies of unsurpassed and perfect awakening!”

5.13那些菩薩大士和大聲聞心想:「我們應當前去觀看和檢視那個大聚會的情況,以及佛國土的功德。我們應當前去觀看、禮敬和侍奉釋迦牟尼如來。在那裡,我們必定會獲得無上正等菩提的授記!」

5.14Through the thus-gone Śākyamuni’s miraculous power, bodhisattva great beings and great hearers as numerous as the atoms in all the buddha fields throughout the ten directions then disappeared from their own buddha fields and arrived instantaneously in this Sahā world. When the countless, limitless bodhisattva great beings, who were as numerous as the atoms in all the buddha fields, arrived from each of the ten directions, they filled the earth and the sky above this buddha field entirely. Due to the power of the cause that is in accord with these bodhisattva great beings’ roots of virtue, they set out venerating the thus-gone Śākyamuni.

5.14通過釋迦牟尼的神通力,來自十方所有佛國土中無數如塵埃般的菩薩大士和大聲聞,都從各自的佛國土消失了,瞬間出現在娑婆世界。當無數無量的菩薩大士,數量如同所有佛國土中的塵埃般,從十方各地到達時,他們充滿了這個佛國土的大地和天空。由於這與菩薩大士們的善根相應的因力的作用,他們開始頂禮釋迦牟尼。

5.15In order to venerate the Blessed One, some bodhisattva great beings covered the entire buddha field {TK137} with a rain of various flowers, while others cast down showers of pearls, and so forth. In order to venerate the Blessed One, yet others cast down showers of gold, silver, beryl, [F.229.a] crystal, emerald, coral, white sandalwood, uraga sandalwood, and the powdered leaves of the palm tree, thus filling the sky. In order to venerate the Blessed One, others cast down a rain of dangling and swaying ornaments and various cloth and linens. In order to venerate the Blessed One, some held up jeweled parasols, banners, and flags. In order to venerate the Blessed One, some anointed the earth with various scents. Some tossed jeweled garlands. Some played instruments and cymbals. Some sang and danced. Some played music. Some cleansed the earth with scented water. Some bore jeweled vessels containing jewels to the Blessed One. Some {TK138} filled jeweled vessels with scented water, decorated them with flowers, fruits, and leaves, and bore them to the Blessed One. Some decorated jeweled trees with divine cloth, jewelry, flowers, and fruits and held them high.

5.15為了恭敬世尊,有些菩薩大士用各式各樣的花雨覆蓋整個佛國土,有些灑下珍珠的雨淋,等等。為了恭敬世尊,有些菩薩灑下黃金、白銀、琉璃、水晶、綠玉、珊瑚、白檀香、龍涎檀香,以及棕櫚樹的粉末,充滿了天空。為了恭敬世尊,有些菩薩灑下搖曳飄動的瓔珞以及各種布匹和亞麻織品的雨淋。為了恭敬世尊,有些菩薩舉起寶傘、寶幡和寶旗。為了恭敬世尊,有些菩薩用各種香氣塗抹大地。有些灑下寶石花環。有些演奏樂器和鐃鈸。有些唱歌跳舞。有些演奏音樂。有些用香水清潔大地。有些攜帶盛滿寶石的寶器來到世尊面前。有些用寶器盛裝香水,用花、果實和葉子裝飾,呈獻給世尊。有些用神聖的布匹、瓔珞、花朵和果實裝飾寶樹,高高舉起。

5.16Some transformed themselves into the guise of Mahābrahmā and prostrated to the Blessed One with palms joined together. Standing there, they made extensive offerings in the manner just mentioned. Some transformed themselves into the guise of lions, prostrated to the Blessed One, and took their places. Drawing on the Blessed One’s miraculous power and the strength of their own roots of virtue, the beings there were able to perceive one another’s forms unimpededly with their own eyes. The Blessed One then entered the city of Rājagṛha through the transformative power of the gods of the great māra realm, as well as his own applications of mindfulness, right exertions, bases of supernatural power, faculties, strengths, limbs of awakening, [F.229.b] paths, and eighteen unique qualities of a buddha. {TK139} He then proceeded to a lotus that was right in the center of the road, touched the head of the flower with his right palm, and picked it up. As he plucked the lotus, it vibrated, which caused all the encircling mountains, greater encircling mountains, Mount Sumeru, the great oceans, and all the māra realms in this buddha field to shake. The celestial palaces, abodes, beds, and seats in the māra realms also shook violently. All the māra boys and girls and their retinues there were terrified and worried and said to one another, “Since our celestial palaces do not shake for no reason, perhaps Māra, our king, has passed from his domain? What if we are also to die and pass from our home? We should definitely go to see what is happening!”

5.16有些菩薩化作大梵天王的形象,向世尊頂禮合掌。站在那裡,他們按照剛才所說的方式做出廣大的供養。有些菩薩化作獅子的形象,向世尊頂禮,各自就位。依靠世尊的神通力和眾生自身善根的力量,那裡的眾生能夠用自己的眼睛毫無障礙地相互看清彼此的形象。世尊隨後通過大魔界天神的變化力、以及他自己的正念、正精進、神通基礎、根、力、覺支、道路和佛陀的十八種獨特殊勝法進入了王舍城。他走到道路正中央的一朵蓮花前,用右掌觸碰花朵的頭部,將其摘了起來。當他摘起蓮花時,它震動了,這導致所有圍繞的山脈、大圍繞山、須彌山、大洋,以及這個佛國土中的所有魔界都震動了。魔界中的天宮、住所、床座和寶座也劇烈震動。所有居住在那裡的魔童和魔女及其眷屬都驚恐擔憂,相互說道:「我們的天宮無故不會震動,也許我們的king魔已經離開了他的領域?我們是不是也會死亡並離開我們的家園?我們一定要去看看發生了什麼!」

5.17Once they saw what had happened, they thought, “If this buddha field is influenced by the five degenerations, who has then ornamented it so? Who has made it so pleasant?”

5.17魔眾看到這一切後,心想:「如果這個佛國土受到五濁的影響,那麼誰又使它得到如此的莊嚴呢?誰又使它變得如此殊勝美妙呢?」

Then, as the māras and their servants were standing in that place, they saw the thus-gone Śākyamuni seated there‍—shining, {TK140} gleaming, brilliant, and adorned with the thirty-two marks of a great being. They did not recognize even a single one of the many other beings of various form s, colors, characteristics, and shapes that existed in the whole trichiliocosm, including this entire buddha field. Yet they saw each of those beings exerting themselves in venerating the Blessed One.

那時,諸魔及其眷屬站在那個地方,看見了往生者釋迦牟尼坐在那裡——光芒閃耀、炫目耀眼、明亮燦爛,並以三十二相莊嚴其身。他們不認識整個三千大千世界中存在的許多其他眾生,包括整個佛國土中各種形貌、色澤、特徵和形狀的眾生,哪怕只是其中一個。然而他們看見那些眾生各個都在努力地向世尊禮敬。

5.18It then occurred to them, “We must by all means go to see the thus-gone Śākyamuni, pay our respects to him, and ask him where our leader and his servants have gone.” {K108} [F.230.a]

5.18於是他們心想:「我們必定要去見釋迦牟尼如來,向他頂禮,並請問他我們的首領和他的眷屬到哪裡去了。」

5.19The billion māras together with their retinues arrived in the presence of Blessed Śākyamuni and took their seats. Māra, the evil one, bowed with folded hands in the direction of the Blessed One and said:

5.19十億魔眾與其眷屬一同來到釋迦牟尼世尊的面前並坐下。惡魔魔王以合掌之禮向世尊頂禮,並說道:

“Blessed One! With faith born in my mind,
「世尊!我心中生起了信心,
I am going to take refuge in you.
我要歸依於你。
Promptly release me from my chains {TK141}
迅速解除我的束縛。
And I will authentically practice the Dharma.” {5.6}
我將會真實地修行此法。」

5.21The Blessed One replied:

5.21世尊回答:

“I never stop anyone
「我從不阻止任何人
From coming or leaving.
來往。
If you know the way,
如果你知道路的話,
You are free to go wherever you please.” {5.7}
你可以自由地去任何你想去的地方。{5.7}

5.22The evil one said:

5.22惡魔說道:

“Whenever I try to go as I like
「每當我想要隨心所欲地去的時候
To my own domain,
到我自己的領地,
O Gautama, I find myself tied
喬達摩啊,我發現自己被束縛住了
With a fivefold noose!” {5.8}
被五重繩索束縛著!」{5.8}

5.23The Blessed One replied: {K109}

5.23世尊回答說:{K109}

“All my concepts have ceased;
「我的一切概念已經止息;
I am liberated and thus liberate beings.
我已解脫,因此解脫眾生。
I have given up harming others
我已捨棄傷害他人
And now liberate beings from bondage.” {5.9}
現在解救眾生脫離束縛。」{5.9}

5.24The Blessed One then looked with his buddha eye at the entire buddha field and, seeing it completely filled with beings that live on earth and in the sky, recited the following stanzas:

5.24世尊以佛眼觀照整個佛國土,看到完全充滿了生活在地上和天空中的眾生,然後誦出以下的偈頌:

“Hear now my advice, all of you, {TK142}
「現在請聽我的教誨,各位,{TK142}
With a focused mind!
用專注的心!
Cast away all your doubts
遠離一切疑惑
And then keep quiet! {5.10}
然後保持寧靜!
“A fully realized Buddha, the Dharma, and the Saṅgha
「圓滿成就的佛陀、法和僧伽
Are hard to find in this world.
在這個世界上很難找到。
Hard to find are faith, sincere application,
難得的是信和真誠的修行。
And the practice of awakening. {5.11}
以及菩提的修習。{5.11}
“It is rare to be able to hear the Dharma
「能夠聽聞法是稀有的
From the protector of the world himself.
從世界的保護者自己那裡。
It is difficult to find the right time
難以尋得正確的時機
To train in patience. {5.12}
修習忍辱波羅蜜。{5.12}
“It is rare in this world
「在這個世界中很罕見
To be able to relinquish negative conceptual thinking,
能夠放棄負面的概念思維,
To cultivate emptiness,
培養空性
And to tame the mind. {5.13}
而且調伏心。{5.13}
“The conduct of awakening, as I had formerly practiced,
「我從前所修習的菩提行,
Is difficult to find.
難得一遇。
I will teach you therefore
因此我將教導你們
How it should be fostered. {5.14} {TK143}
應當如何培養。
“I will teach the greatest of paths
我將教導最偉大的道路
That dispels the mass of darkness, [F.230.b]
消除了大量的黑暗。
Connects us to awakening,
將我們連接到菩提,
And totally liberates us from the fetters of existence. {5.15} {K110}
並且完全解脫我們存在的結。
“You should cast away the three stains
「你們應該捨棄三垢
And listen to the teacher’s instructions.
並聆聽師的教導。
Having cast off the snare of craving,
已經脫離渴愛的陷阱,
You should cross to the other shore of the four rivers. {5.16}
你應當渡過四河到達彼岸。{5.16}
“You must win the threefold liberation,
「你們必須證得三種解脫,
Establish yourselves in the three types of restraint,
你們應當確立自己在三種制約中,
And then remove all of the afflictions there are
然後去除一切存在的煩惱
In the threefold universe. {5.17}
在三界之中。
“To worship the lineage of the Three Jewels
「為了恭敬三寶法脈,
And for the sake of Dharma,
為了法的緣故,
All of you gathered here should scrupulously eliminate
你們在此聚集的所有人應當認真消除
The ignorance of the three times that obscures the mind. {5.18}
覆蓋心靈的三時無明。
“Through the emanation of the blessings
"通過佛陀的加持力的顯現
Of the buddhas, gods, and māras,
佛陀、天神及魔鬼,
Obtain a pacifying acceptance
獲得調伏的忍
That is beyond the threefold universe. {5.19}
那超越了三界。
“Ordinary beings
「普通眾生
Spoiled by the four errors,
被四種錯誤所污染,
Who conceptualize nonthings,
那些執著於無之概念的眾生,
Are not vessels for this acceptance. {5.20}
不是接受忍的器皿。
“When the visual faculty is attached to form , {TK144}
「當眼根執著於色時,{TK144}
It obscures body, speech, and mind.
它遮蔽了身、語、意。
Those who are devoid of the four concentrations
那些缺乏四種禪定的人
Obsess over saṃsāra. {5.21}
著迷於輪迴。
“Those whose learnedness illuminates the world‍—
「那些學問照亮世界的人——
Those who cultivate concentration‍—
那些修習禪定的人——
Could today be liberated
今天能夠得到解脫
From the four errors. {5.22}
從四種錯誤中。{5.22}
“These lords save beings
這些尊者救度眾生
From the four rivers.
從四河。
Those who gain a certain understanding of birth and death
那些獲得對生死某種理解的人
Cross to the far shore. {5.23}
渡到彼岸。{5.23}
“Fearless bodhisattvas
無畏的菩薩
Endowed with four limbs
具備四肢
Break the bonds that bind beings to existence
斷除束縛眾生於輪迴中的鎖鏈
By means of correct knowledge. {5.24} {K111}
透過正確的知識。
“By totally comprehending the five aggregates,
「通過完全理解五蘊,
One is freed from their noose.
眾生從束縛中得到解脫。
No longer driven into endless rebirths,
不再被驅入無盡的轉生之中。
One has crossed to the far shore of the ocean of existence. {5.25}
一個人已經渡過了存在之海的彼岸。
“You should confess your wrongdoings
你應該懺悔你的過錯
In front of the buddhas
在諸佛陀面前
And, having abandoned all negativity,
並且已經放下一切負面的行為,
Fearlessly reach the far shore. {5.26}
無畏地到達彼岸。{5.26}
“By repeatedly taking rebirth in existence
「由於反覆在輪迴中轉生
And coming under the influence of evil companions,
並且受到惡友的影響,
One experiences the sufferings
體驗輪迴和諸法所帶來的苦
Of saṃsāra and conditioned phenomena. {5.27}
輪迴與有為諸法之苦。
“Steering clear of wicked friends {TK145}
遠離邪惡的朋友
And wrong views,
和邪見,
And remembering the suffering of saṃsāra,
並且憶念輪迴的苦。
Apply yourselves to the sublime Dharma. {5.28}
應當奉行殊勝的法。
“Drink this finest elixir. [F.231.a]
「飲此最上的妙藥。
Meditate on emptiness.
思維空性。
From the point of view of the absolute truth,
從絕對真理的角度來看,
There are no objects, no substantiality, and no characteristics. {5.29}
沒有對象,沒有實質性,也沒有特徵。{5.29}
“As the five sense organs are empty,
「五根皆為空性,
No agent can be found there.
在那裡找不到任何施事者。
What are merely entities characterized by thoughts
唯有以思想為特徵的現象
Are likewise inactive. {5.30}
同樣地是無作用的。{5.30}
“The six sensations and six forms of craving
「六種受和六種渴愛
Arise from the six types of contact.
皆由六種接觸而生。
In the same way, you should understand
同樣地,你應當這樣去理解
That the five sense bases arising from contact are empty. {5.31}
五根由於接觸而產生是空性的。{5.31}
“Consider how one imputes ‘thingness’
「思量如何而標記為『事物』
To what is naturally not a thing.
對於本性上並非事物的東西。
Beings unborn and unceasing‍—
眾生無生無滅——
Consider how insubstantial they are. {5.32}
看看它們是多麼空無實質。{5.32}
“All phenomena are subsumed under a single principle
諸法都包含在一個單一的原則之中
And have no ‘thingness’ in any of the three times.
在三時中都沒有「實性」。
Those who know this will be free from fever;
了知這一點的人將不受熱惱所束縛。
This is the unsurpassed path. {5.33}
這是無上的道路。
“Freedom is certain in these thirteen respects.
「這十三方面的自由是確定的。」
It is the cultivation of acceptance
這是忍的培養
That destroys the perceptions of beings
破壞眾生的想
And liberates subjectivity.” {5.34}
並且解脫了主體性。」{5.34}

5.50When through the power of the Blessed One’s merit, {TK146} his strength of fearlessness, and the influence of his merit according to his roots of virtue {K112} he chanted these verses with the unimpeded sound of his voice, his words of the maṇḍala of space were heard throughout the ten directions in worlds‍—with and without the five degenerations‍—equal in extent to the infinite grains of sand in the Gaṅgā. Immediately, infinite hundreds of thousands of millions of billions of beings in every buddha field obtained faith and undefiled joy. They proceeded irreversibly to unsurpassed and perfect awakening. Some attained absorption, acceptance, or different dhāraṇīs. Those who were gathered in this buddha field obtained the level of irreversibility when they heard the Blessed One’s words, syllables, and meaning. Infinite numbers of beings attained renunciation according to one of the three vehicles.

5.50通過世尊的福德力、他的無畏之力,以及根據他的善根所產生的福德影響,當他用無礙的聲音誦唱這些偈頌,他虛空壇城的言語在十方世界中傳遍了——無論是有五濁或沒有五濁的世界——其廣大如同恆河無數細沙粒。頓時,每一個佛國土中無數百千億的眾生獲得了信心和無染的喜悅。他們趨向於無上正等菩提而不退轉。有些人獲得了定、忍,或者不同的陀羅尼。在這個佛國土中聚集的眾生在聽聞世尊的言語、音節和意義時,都獲得了不退轉的境界。無數眾生根據三乘之一而獲得了出家。

5.51Jyotīrasa, the bodhisattva great being, magically created the stairs, [F.231.b] made of the seven precious gems and shaded with flowers, for ascending to the lotus throne and, with hands folded in the direction of the Blessed One, implored:

5.51光味仙人菩薩摩訶薩以神通力變化出由七寶製成、花朵遮蔭的樓梯,用來上升至蓮花座,並向世尊的方向合掌恭敬地祈請:

“O omniscient one, gaze upon the entire world
「喔,全知者,請觀察整個世界
Sunk in the mire of aging and death’s agonies.
陷於老死苦難的泥沼中。
Raise the Dharma bridge
請升起法橋
For the animate and inanimate worlds. {5.35}
對於有情與無情的世界。
“Gaze upon your field into which have been born {TK147}
「凝視你的領域,其中已經誕生了{TK147}
Myriads of beings with folded hands.
無數眾生合掌恭敬。
Distribute your Dharma gifts!
施予你的法的恩賜!
Show us your miraculous power! {5.36} {K113}
展現你的神通力量!
“For those tormented by the afflictions,
「為那些被煩惱所折磨的眾生,
Reveal the knowledge and the means!
展現知識和方便吧!
Ascend to the peerless lotus seat, O Lord,
請升上無比的蓮花座,唯一的主尊。
And rain down the rain of the Dharma. {5.37}
並降下法的甘露雨。
“With all the buddhas in the ten directions
與十方一切佛陀
And other wise sages here as your witnesses,
以及這裡的其他智慧聖者作為你的證人,
Leader of the victors,
勝利者的領導者,
Destroy the māras! {5.38}
摧毀魔!{5.38}
“Knowing that all phenomena are empty like space
「了知諸法如虛空般空無」
And inseparable from their intrinsic nature,
與其內在本性不可分離,
Remember your past promises!
憶念你過去的誓願!
Turn the unsurpassed and sublime wheel! {5.39}
轉動無上殊勝的法輪!
“O lion among humans, liberate now
「啊,人中之獅,現在解救
The beings swirling in the midst of the four rivers.
在四河之中輪轉的眾生。
Knowing all phenomena, please liberate the world
了知諸法,請解脫世間
From the ocean of the three existences. {5.40}
從三界的輪迴之海中解救眾生。{5.40}
“Your mind is so powerful, O Blessed One!
「世尊啊,您的心力是如此強大!
Please dispel the destructive stains of existence
請消除存在的破壞性污垢
And teach the unparalleled Dharma
並教導無與倫比的法
To we who joyfully wish to enter the path of the well-gone ones.” {5.41}
讓我們喜悅地步入善逝者的道路。

5.59The Blessed One then climbed atop the lotus throne via the magically emanated staircase and took his seat at the center of the lotus. Gazing in all ten directions, the Blessed One {TK148} then addressed the evil Māra: “O Māra, evil one, you are the reason that the Dharma teaching of the Great Collection was taught here today, whereby countless infinite beings will be liberated and freed from the misery of being in the womb, as well as from aging and death. They will cross over the four rivers. [F.232.a] They will travel the peaceful path. They will realize that wisdom that is equal to space. Evil Māra, because you have set the proliferation of these beings’ roots of virtue in motion, you should rejoice! Evil Māra, you should request me to teach the Dharma. Then I shall teach the Dharma so that those in your Māra world may be able to cross the rising river.

5.59世尊隨即踏著魔法變現的階梯登上蓮花座,坐在蓮花的中心。世尊向十方凝視,然後對惡魔魔羅說道:「魔羅啊,惡魔啊,正是因為你的緣故,今日在此宣講了《大集》的教法,無數無量的眾生因此將得到解脫和救拔,擺脫在母胎中的痛苦,以及老和死的折磨。他們將渡過四河。他們將行走在寂靜的道路上。他們將證得等同於虛空的智慧。惡魔魔羅啊,正因為你推動了這些眾生的善根增長,你應當感到歡喜!惡魔魔羅啊,你應當請求我宣講教法。這樣我就能宣講教法,使你魔羅的世界中的眾生能夠渡過上升的河流。」

5.60Then Māra, the evil one, spoke the following verse:

5.60那時,惡魔魔王說了這樣的偈頌:

“If you, joyful one, have no animosity, aggression, or arrogance,
「如果你,歡喜者,沒有敵意、瞋恨或傲慢,
Why are you teaching the Dharma to inspire fear in us today?
為什麼您今天教法是為了對我們灌輸恐懼?
If you had animosity, arrogance, and pride,
如果你有怨恨、傲慢和慢心,
Explain liberation to me, O Lord of Sages.” {5.42}
請為我解釋解脫,聖賢之主啊。」{5.42}

5.61The Blessed One responded:

5.61世尊回應:

“When I was on the earth, spending ten months in the womb,
「當我還在人間的時候,在母親的子宮裡待了十個月,
You, Māra, attempted to murder me.
你,魔,曾經試圖殺害我。
At that time, I held no grudge or even the slightest animosity;
當時我心中沒有怨恨,也沒有絲毫的敵意;
I was patient and had destroyed all animosity without exception. {5.43}
我是耐心的,並且已經完全消滅了所有的怨恨。{5.43}
“As soon as I was born, you caused the earth to quake
「我一生下來,你就使大地震動
And brought down a rain of stones intended to kill me.
並且降下石雨想要殺死我。
Then you dried up my mother’s breast milk.
然後你使我母親的乳汁乾竭。
You have tried to harm me in many different ways. {5.44}
你曾經用各種不同的方式想傷害我。
“When I was resting in absorption, you brought ten thousand damsels. {TK149}
「當我在定中休息時,你帶來了一萬名女子。{TK149}
And when I was living on alms, you cut off my access to food.
當我靠乞食維生時,你切斷了我的食物來源。
You constantly tried to give me royal dominion.
你不斷試圖給我王權統治。
In the night when I left the palace, you created a dense darkness. {5.45}
在我離開王宮的那個晚上,你製造了濃密的黑暗。
“At that time you and many people surrounded the city,
「那時候你和許多人圍困了這座城市,
And through your magical powers you brought about a fierce storm and rain.
你用你的神力創造了猛烈的風暴和雨水。
You made the ground rise up a full fathom and covered me in rocks.
你使地面上升一尋高,並用石頭將我掩埋。
And while I was abiding in tranquility, you made a great clamor. {5.46}
我在寂靜安住的時候,你製造了極大的喧鬧。{5.46}
“When I was performing austerities, you sent cold winds.
「當我在進行苦行時,你送來了寒冷的風。
When I was beside a waterfall, you sent a flood.
當我在瀑布旁邊時,你降下了洪水。
You unleashed lions in order to do away with me.
你放出獅子想要殺害我。
And at that time, you also poisoned my food. {5.47}
那時你還在我的食物中下毒。{5.47}
“When I went before the Bodhi tree,
「當我走到菩提樹前時,
You brought down a rain of vajras, meteors, razors, and arrows.
你降下了金剛、流星、刀刃和箭矢的雨。
And when I sat on the vajra seat for the sake of beings,
當我為了眾生坐在金剛座上時,
You even smeared daubs of mud on my saffron robes. {5.48} [F.232.b]
你甚至在我的藏紅花色袈裟上抹上了泥漿。
“You also sent damsels before me.
「你也在我面前派遣了侍女。
You yourself came to murder me with your magical might.
你自己用你的魔力來殺害我。
However, you could not harm my mind even slightly.
然而,你根本無法傷害我的心,即使是最微小的程度。
Once I had tamed you, I attained unsurpassed awakening. {5.49}
我一旦調伏了你,就證得了無上菩提。
“Yet, you had no shame in coming here to talk,
「但你竟然沒有羞恥地來這裡說話,
And with your evil behavior attempting to dissuade the supreme Kāśyapa and others.
而你用你的邪惡行為想要阻止至高的迦葉和其他人。
Pitilessly, you bring billions of beings to ruin.
你無情地將數十億眾生帶向毀滅。
Even now, do you still attempt to oppose and deceive me? {5.50}
現在你還敢來試圖阻擋和迷惑我嗎?
“When I was fasting
「當我在齋戒時
You sent a dangerous and drunken elephant to kill me.
你派遣了一隻危險且醉酒的象來殺害我。
Devadatta cast boulders down a hill toward me. {TK150}
提婆達多從山上向我推滾巨石。
Alas! For three months I ate horse fodder. {5.51}
唉呀!我整整三個月吃著馬飼料。{5.51}
“To incite gossip, you sent alluring ladies to surround me.
「為了激起閒言閒語,你派遣迷人的女子來包圍我。
You filled pits with terrible blazing embers.
你在坑裡裝滿了可怕的熊熊火炭。
You put swift-acting poison in my food.
你在我的食物裡下了速效毒藥。
Therefore, you, evildoer, are rotten to the core. {5.52}
所以你這個作惡者,內裡已經腐爛敗壞了。{5.52}
“You came here with your armies, children, and forces
「你帶著軍隊、眷屬和武力來到這裡
Brandishing lances, swords, and arrows to kill me with.
揮舞著長矛、刀劍和箭矢來殺我。
Yet if you have failed to ruffle even one hair of mine,
然而你卻連我的一根頭髮都沒有傷到。
What are you still doing here, so proud of yourself? {5.53}
你還在這裡幹什麼,這麼自得其樂?
“Though you force these billions of māras to keep opposing me,
「雖然你驅使這些數十億的魔來持續對抗我,」
Trillions of beings have come here,
數不盡的眾生來到了這裡,
Filling the entire buddha field, acting as my witnesses,
充滿整個佛國土,作為我的見證者。
To see that I have nothing but a supremely loving mind toward you. {5.54}
看到我對你們唯有至高無上的慈愛之心。
“I am steeped in compassion, caring for beings.
我充滿悲心,關懷著眾生。
You are so vicious, constantly trying to obstruct me.
你如此兇惡,時刻想要阻礙我。
These lords of sages, foremost among humans, are under my power,
這些賢者之主、人中至尊,都在我的掌握之中,
And so in this final age, I will perform the deeds of a buddha. {5.55}
因此在這個末法時代,我將施行佛陀的事業。
“I engage in the benefit of beings with a totally free mind.
我以完全自由的心,致力於眾生的利益。
Even as you speak, I do not relinquish my patience.
即使你在說話時,我也不放棄我的忍辱波羅蜜。
I have no jealousy, animosity, or anger in my mind.
我的心中沒有嫉妒、仇恨或憤怒。
I constantly exert myself to protect even you. {5.56}
我時刻努力去保護你們。{5.56}
“So, just as you requested and to put your mind at ease, I will explain
「那麼,就如你所要求的,為了讓你的心得到安寧,我將為你解說
A nectar-like Dharma that utterly pacifies the threefold universe.
一種如甘露般的法,能夠徹底安撫三界。
Thus all your evil activities will be put to an end. [F.233.a]
這樣,你所有的惡業活動都將得到終止。
Quickly, entrust your mind to me, the protector of the world. {5.57} {TK151}
快速地,將你的心託付給我,這個世界的保護者。
“Though you are always intent on harming,
「雖然你總是想著傷害,」
My heart is always loving, with the aim to liberate you.
我的心總是充滿慈愛,目的是為了解脫你。
Give up this evil attitude and arouse faith in your mind.
放棄這種邪惡的態度,在你的心中生起信。
Before long I will prophesy your awakening.” {5.58}
不久我就會預言你的菩提。{5.58}

5.77Māra, the evil one, became furious with the Blessed One. Disturbed and distressed, he wished to turn back but now noticed he was bound by a fivefold noose. He wished to cry out in fear, but was unable. Through the power of his anger, he blew out incredibly hot breath to kill the Blessed One. Yet the Blessed One transformed it into a most exquisite flower, which he then blessed so that it became a very pleasing parasol in the space directly above the crowns of the heads of all the blessed buddhas dwelling, flourishing, and teaching the Dharma in all the buddha fields throughout the ten directions. The bodhisattva great beings in each of those buddha fields asked their respective blessed buddhas, “Where have these flower parasols come from? And due to whose magical power?”

5.77魔王惡者對世尊大怒。他感到惶恐不安,想要轉身離去,但發現自己被五繩所縛。他想要驚呼尖叫,卻無法發聲。他憤怒至極,吹出極其灼熱的氣息想要殺死世尊。然而世尊將其轉化為最美妙的花朵,並加持它,使其變成一把極其悅意的華蓋,懸浮在十方諸佛剎中所有居住、興盛、講法的世尊頭頂上方的虛空中。那些佛剎中的菩薩大士們各自向他們的世尊提問:「這些花蓋從何而來?是由誰的神力所生?」

5.78The blessed ones answered the bodhisattva great beings, saying, “Noble children, there is a world called the Sahā world.A thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha called Śākyamuni made aspirations in the past to fully awaken to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood within that buddha field, which is rife with the afflictions and the five degenerations and where he now teaches the Dharma. This thus-gone one is about to give an exposition of the dhāraṇī-seal, including its verbal formula, which is called the terminator of birth based on the essential nature of phenomena in their vajra-like indivisibility.

5.78諸位世尊回答菩薩大士們說:「善男子們,有一個名叫娑婆世界的世界。在那個世界中,有一位如來、應供、圓滿佛陀名叫釋迦牟尼,他在過去發願要在那個佛國土中圓滿覺悟無上究竟的佛果,那個佛國土充滿了惑和五濁,他現在正在那裡教導佛法。這位如來將要傳講陀羅尼印及其語言公式,這個陀羅尼被稱為「生滅滅已」,乃基於諸法的金剛不可分的法性。

5.79“This exposition completely destroys the forces of the entire dominion of Māra and elevates all the strengths, the types of fearlessness, and the domains of a buddha. It ensures the continuity of the teachings of the buddhas and the lamp of the Three Jewels. {TK152} It activates the blessings of his diligence [F.233.b] to increase all roots of virtue. It destroys all enemies and obstructers. It pacifies the ordinary, the inauspicious, disputes, bad dreams, evil omens, famine, the mass of fears, struggle, warfare, captivity, fighting, arguments, drought, unseasonable heat and cold, storms, heat waves, sickness, and unpleasant sounds. It motivates all the gods, nāgas, yakṣas, and human and nonhuman beings. It summons and motivates the warrior caste. It engages the four castes in the service of Dharma. It sets ablaze the torch of insight and teaches a direct path. It motivates all the households, towns, cities, villages, districts, countryside, royal cities, and hinterlands. It aligns constellations, planets, nights, days, months, fortnights, and years. It ensures good harvests and an abundance of flowers, fruits, grains, and medicinal herbs. It accomplishes all manufacturing and business ventures and supervisory tasks. It pacifies all the faults of body, speech, and mind. {K114} It increases insight, mindfulness, intelligence, interest, courage, stability, patience, and eloquence. It awakens the unobstructed vision of all phenomena. It blesses the Dharma tradition with the four noble attributes. It elucidates the Great Vehicle. It nurtures bodhisattva great beings and gives comfort to them. It blesses the vajra-like minds of those at the stage of irreversibility. It makes beings realize the acceptance that phenomena are unborn. It establishes beings in realization consistent with {TK153} the tenth bodhisattva level. It cares for beings that require guidance. It turns the wheel [F.234.a] of Dharma. It covers all beings with great compassion. It engages them in the practice of the perfections. It establishes them on the unsurpassed path. It rains Dharma. It satisfies all beings with the essence of Dharma. It completes the fully awakened intention of the buddhas. It brings freedom from the domain of the four māras. It places beings in the expanse of nirvāṇa without any remainder of the aggregates.

5.79「這個陀羅尼印的闡述,連同其言語公式,被稱為基於諸法金剛不可分之法性的生滅滅已,能夠完全摧毀魔的整個勢力範疇,並提升佛陀的所有力量、各種無畏和領域。它確保佛陀教法的延續和三寶的燈火不滅。它啟動精進的加持以增長所有善根。它摧毀所有敵人和障礙。它平息平凡之事、不祥之兆、爭執、惡夢、凶兆、飢荒、眾多恐懼、掙扎、戰爭、囚禁、搏鬥、爭論、乾旱、時節不調之熱冷、風暴、熱浪、疾病和不悅耳的聲音。它激勵所有天神、龍、夜叉和人類與非人類眾生。它召喚並激勵戰士階級。它使四姓投入於法的服侍。它點燃洞察的火炬並教導直接的道路。它激勵所有家戶、城鎮、都市、村莊、地區、鄉村、王城和邊遠地帶。它調和星宿、行星、夜晚、白晝、月份、半月和年份。它確保豐收和花卉、果實、穀物和藥草的豐富。它成就所有製造、商業事業和監督任務。它平息身、語、意的所有過失。它增長洞察、正念、智慧、興趣、勇氣、定、忍辱波羅蜜和辯才。它喚醒對所有諸法的無礙視見。它以四種殊勝品質祝福法的傳統。它闡明大乘。它培育菩薩大beings並給予他們安慰。它祝福那些處於不退轉階段者的金剛不可分之心。它使眾生領悟無生法忍。它使眾生安住於與第十菩薩地一致的證悟中。它照顧需要引導的眾生。它轉動法輪。它以大悲心覆蓋所有眾生。它使他們從事波羅蜜的實踐。它使他們安住於無上道路。它降下法雨。它以法的精髓滿足所有眾生。它完成佛陀的圓滿覺悟之願。它帶來從四魔領域的自由。它將眾生安置於無有餘涅槃的廣大中。」

5.80“This exposition of the dhāraṇī-seal, including its verbal formula, which is called the terminator of birth based on the essential nature of phenomena in their vajra-like indivisibility, was given, blessed, and rejoiced at, upon each other’s giving it, by all the thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddhas of the past. Whatever blessed buddhas now dwell and pass their time in the ten directions, teaching the Dharma there, they all give, bless, and rejoice in each other’s offering of this exposition. In the future, whatever thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddhas will dwell in other worlds {TK154} in the ten directions, they all will also {K115} give, bless, and rejoice in each other’s offering of this exposition.”

5.80「這個陀羅尼印的開示,包括它的語言公式,被稱為基於諸法金剛不可分的法性之上的生滅滅已,過去所有的如來、應供、正等覺的佛陀都曾互相給予、祝福並隨喜這個開示。無論現在有哪些世尊住在十方,在那裡傳授法教,他們都互相給予、祝福並隨喜彼此對這個開示的奉獻。在未來,無論哪些如來、應供、正等覺的佛陀將住在十方其他世界,他們也都將互相給予、祝福並隨喜彼此對這個開示的奉獻。」

5.81Hearing this, all the bodhisattva great beings who dwelled in these buddha fields asked their respective buddhas, “What is this exposition, O Blessed One, that we haven’t heard before [F.234.b] and that is a treasure trove of so many qualities, that is endowed with inconceivable qualities, that grants unobstructed vision of all phenomena,… and that pacifies? Please, O Blessed One, give this exposition that completely destroys the forces of the entire dominion of Māra… and places beings in the expanse of nirvāṇa without any remainder of the aggregates. Give it out of compassion for the world, for the benefit and happiness of many people. It will surely be in the interest of great numbers of beings, bringing benefit and happiness to gods and humans alike.”

5.81聽到這番話,住在這些佛國土中的所有菩薩大士們請問各自的佛陀:「世尊啊,這個我們以前沒有聽聞過的教法是什麼呢?它是具有如此眾多殊勝功德的寶藏,具足不可思議的功德,能夠授予對一切諸法的無礙洞察……並且能夠寂靜紛亂的教法。世尊啊,請您為了慈悲世間、為了多數眾生的利益和安樂,宣說這個能夠完全摧毀整個魔域全部勢力……並且能夠使眾生安立於無有餘涅槃之境的教法吧。它必定能夠利益無量眾生,為天神和人類帶來利益和安樂。」

5.82The blessed buddhas replied to the bodhisattvas, {TK155} “O noble children! We also are going to the Sahā world where the thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha Śākyamuni dwells. Similarly, whatever blessed buddhas now dwell and pass their time in the ten directions in their respective worlds, they are all going along with their retinues of bodhisattvas and congregations of hearers to the Sahā world where the thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha Śākyamuni dwells. {K116} Together with the thus-gone Śākyamuni they will give, bless, and rejoice in each other’s offering of this exposition [F.235.a] in order to benefit all beings by stopping them from committing evil acts, fully establishing them in wholesome conduct, and filling them with unsurpassed wisdom.

5.82諸位世尊回答菩薩說:「高貴的孩子們!我們也要往娑婆世界去,那裡住著已證得的、應供的、圓滿的佛陀釋迦牟尼。同樣地,現在十方各個世界中所有住世、傳教的世尊,他們都會帶著自己的菩薩眷屬和聲聞眾,一起前往娑婆世界,去往已證得的、應供的、圓滿的佛陀釋迦牟尼所在的地方。他們將與已證得的釋迦牟尼一起,互相給予、祝福和歡喜這部陀羅尼的講述,目的是為了利益一切眾生,阻止他們造作惡行,將他們完全建立在善法之中,並充滿他們以無上的智慧。

5.83“Once all these blessed buddhas have gathered today in the Sahā world along with their retinues of bodhisattvas and congregations of hearers, they will give this exposition there. So, if any of you wants to hear this exposition and to worship the blessed buddhas, as innumerable as the grains of sand in the river Gaṅgā, {TK156} who are abiding together at the same time in the same buddha field, and if any of you want to hear their teachings and to see the domains of all the buddhas, bodhisattvas, gods, māras, and the marvelous ornamentation of all the buddha fields, and if any of you want to see a gathering of buddhas such as has never been seen or heard of, let us now go together to the Sahā world where the thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha Śākyamuni dwells.”

5.83「一切諸佛今日聚集於娑婆世界,與菩薩眷屬及聲聞眾俱來,將在此宣說此陀羅尼經。所以,你們中若有人想要聽聞此陀羅尼經,並禮拜無量如恆河沙數之多的諸佛世尊,這些佛陀同時同處於同一佛國土中安住,或想要聽聞他們的教法,想要看見一切佛、菩薩、天神、魔及所有佛國土的莊嚴奇妙之相,或想要看見這樣殊勝而前所未有、未曾聽聞的佛陀集會,就讓我們現在一起前往娑婆世界,去禮見那位釋迦牟尼如來應供正遍知佛。」

5.84The bodhisattva great beings replied to their respective buddhas, “If this is so, O venerable Blessed One, we shall go together with you, our thus-gone one, to the Sahā world where the thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha Śākyamuni dwells, {K117} in order to hear this exposition that we have not heard before. [F.235.b] We shall worship there, all at the same time and on the same occasion, in the same buddha field, infinite numbers of blessed buddhas living and spending their time there. We will request them to teach us the Dharma. We will see the Sahā world adorned with the miraculous displays originating from the four bases of supernatural power, and that great gathering in a marvelous array. And if we manage to get a place in that buddha field while the dhāraṇī included in this exposition is being recited, we will be able to honor, praise, serve, and worship the buddhas and the bodhisattva great beings who have gathered there.”

5.84菩薩大士們回答他們各自的佛陀說:「尊敬的世尊,既然如此,我們將與您,我們的如來,一起前往娑婆世界,那裡是德號圓滿的釋迦牟尼佛所住的地方,為了聆聽我們以前未曾聽聞過的這部教法。我們將在那裡同時同地在同一佛國土中,敬禮無量無邊的世尊們,他們生活並駐留在那裡。我們將請求他們為我們宣講法教。我們將看到娑婆世界因四神足所發起的神通展現而莊嚴裝飾,以及那殊勝而奇妙的大集會。若是我們得以在那佛國土中佔有一席之地,當這部教法中所包含的陀羅尼被誦持時,我們將能夠恭敬、讚歎、侍奉和敬禮聚集在那裡的諸佛以及菩薩大士們。」

5.85Then each of the blessed buddhas in his respective buddha field spoke to his own retinue of bodhisattva great beings and congregation of great hearers: {TK157}

5.85然後,每一位世尊在他各自的佛國土中,都對他自己的菩薩眷屬和大聲聞眾說道:

“Do not be anxious, noble children, or have any doubts about whether there will be enough space available in that world to accommodate everybody. Why so? Because the blessed buddhas have an infinite ability to bring beings to maturity‍—an ability that derives from their skill in the wisdom of equality particular to their buddha fields. Because, O noble children, the thus-gone Śākyamuni has such great skillful means, he has the ability to expand space. {K118} Noble children, imagine that he is able to accommodate in a single mustard seed all the beings, who depend for existence on physical elements and sense faculties, taken together from their respective realms, even if each and every one of them were as big as Mount Meru. Each of them would have ample room for themselves and none would even arrive in one another’s field of vision. Even if the bodies of all beings were placed in a single mustard seed, they would not appear to shrink, nor would the seed appear to grow. The thus-gone Śākyamuni, noble children, is indeed endowed with such skill in means.

「不要擔心,高貴的孩子們,也不要對那個世界是否有足夠的空間容納所有人產生疑慮。為什麼呢?因為世尊們有無限的能力使眾生成熟——這種能力來自於他們對於各自佛國土特有的平等智慧的方便。高貴的孩子們啊,因為如來釋迦牟尼具有這樣偉大的方便,他有能力擴展虛空。高貴的孩子們,想像一下,他能夠在一粒芥子中容納所有依賴於物質元素和感官能力而存在的眾生,這些眾生來自各自的界,即使他們每一個都像須彌山那麼大。他們每個都有充足的空間給自己,並且沒有人甚至會進入彼此的視野範圍。即使所有眾生的身體都被放在一粒芥子中,他們也不會顯得縮小,芥子也不會顯得增大。如來釋迦牟尼,高貴的孩子們,確實具有這樣的方便。」

5.86“And furthermore, O noble children, whatever solidity there is in existence constitutes the earth element. The thus-gone Śākyamuni could place [F.236.a] all of it within a single particle of dust, and this particle, with all of the earth element having entered there, would not appear to expand, nor would the earth element appear to shrink. With such skill in means is the thus-gone Śākyamuni endowed.

5.86「而且,善男子等啊,凡是存在於世間的一切堅硬的東西就構成了地大。如來釋迦牟尼能夠把所有地大都放入一粒微塵之中,這粒微塵容納了所有地大之後,既不會顯得擴大,地大也不會顯得縮小。如來釋迦牟尼就是具備了這樣的方便智慧。」

5.87“Again, O noble children, anything that appears as wet constitutes the water element‍—the thus-gone Śākyamuni could place all of it on a single hair tip, {TK158} and this hair tip, with all the water element having entered there, would not appear to expand, nor would the water element appear to shrink. With such skill in means is the thus-gone Śākyamuni endowed.

5.87「再者,善慧的孩子們啊,一切顯現為濕潤的東西構成了水大。釋迦牟尼世尊能夠將所有的水大都安置在一根毛髮的尖端上,這根毛髮即使已經容納了所有的水大,也不會顯得擴大,水大也不會顯得縮小。釋迦牟尼世尊就是具備了這樣的方便智慧。

5.88“And further, O noble children, whatever of the wind element is known to exist, the thus-gone Śākyamuni could place all of it within a single pore. This entire element of wind, {K119} even though contained within a single pore of skin, would be able to move around, provided with ample room as if within its own usual sphere of activity.

5.88「而且,諸位高貴的孩子們,無論風大的任何存在,釋迦牟尼如來都能將它全部置於單一個毛孔之中。這整個風大,儘管被容納在單一個皮膚毛孔之內,仍然能夠活動,擁有充足的空間,就如同在它自己通常的活動範圍之內一樣。」

5.89“Again, O noble children, anything that appears as hot constitutes the fire element. The thus-gone Śākyamuni could place anything relating to the fire element that has arisen, is arising, or will arise within a single particle of dust. Even if the entire fire element was gathered there in a single particle, it would still be able to function within that single particle, provided with ample range as if within its own usual domain.

5.89「再者,諸位高貴的孩子們,凡是顯現為熱的事物都構成火大。釋迦牟尼如來能夠將過去、現在或未來所生起的一切與火大相關的事物安置在一粒微塵之中。即使整個火大聚集在這一粒微塵之內,它仍然能夠在這粒微塵之中發揮作用,具有充分的活動範圍,就如同在其自身的常規領域之中一樣。」

5.90“And further, O noble children, whatever buddha fields there are in the ten directions, the thus-gone Śākyamuni could place all of them, together with all the beings there and the four great elements, on a single hair tip.

5.90「而且,諸位高貴的孩子們,無論十方有多少佛剎,已逝去的釋迦牟尼佛都能將它們全部連同其中的所有眾生和四大元素,都放置在一根頭髮尖端上。」

5.91“Then, in that infinitely small space, all those beings and the great elements would be able to go about their usual business and move around as if in their own usual spheres of operation, provided with sufficient space. They would not get into each other’s way, and this infinitely small space would not appear to expand, nor would they appear to shrink. With such skill in means is the thus-gone Śākyamuni endowed.

5.91「那麼在那無限微小的空間裡,所有那些眾生和四大元素都能夠進行它們平常的活動,在自己熟悉的領域裡四處活動,擁有充足的空間。它們彼此不會互相干擾,這無限微小的空間不會顯得擴大,它們也不會顯得縮小。釋迦牟尼如來就是以這樣的方便而具足的。」

5.92“And further, O noble children, the thus-gone Śākyamuni can know the six sense bases, conduct, grasping, aspirations, blessings, ranges of speech, sounds, phonemes, expressions of language, actions or endeavors that involve the three predispositions, aggregates, analytical minds, and the range of methods for gathering accumulations of all the beings of the three times, in a single instant. {TK159} He is able to know anything at all about any being from the far reaches of the past to that which generates the rebirths in saṃsāra of any of the six kinds of beings throughout the three times, [F.236.b] as well as their deaths, births, and what occurs for each of them. He can know the extent of the particles of earth. He can know how beings pass the moments and hours throughout the three times. He can know every pore of all beings throughout the three times. He can know the extent of the enjoyments, behaviors, and experiences of happiness and suffering of all beings throughout the three times. The thus-gone Śākyamuni can know all this within a single instant. {K120}

5.92「而且,善男子等,釋迦牟尼如來能在一剎那間了知三時一切眾生的六根、行為、執著、願望、福報、語言範圍、聲音、音聲、語言表達、涉及三種傾動的業行與努力、蘊、分析心識,以及聚集資糧的各種方法。他能了知從過去遙遠時代到現在的任何眾生的一切,以及六道眾生在三時中輪迴轉生的情況,以及他們的死亡、出生和各自發生的事情。他能了知微塵的數量。他能了知眾生在三時中如何度過時刻和光陰。他能了知三時一切眾生的每一個毛孔。他能了知三時一切眾生的受用、行為和樂苦受的範圍。釋迦牟尼如來能在一剎那間了知所有這一切。」

5.93“The thus-gone Śākyamuni is able to comprehend the three times up to their farthest limit effortlessly and without ideas or concepts, because he is endowed with this kind of clairvoyant wisdom that is miraculous in character. The thus-gone Śākyamuni is endowed with such immeasurable means to bring beings to maturity through equanimity, O noble children, because of his skill in wisdom that derives from his buddha domain.”

5.93「如來釋迦牟尼能夠輕鬆地理解三時直到最遠的邊界,無需觀念或概念,因為他具備了這種具有奇蹟性質的神通智。如來釋迦牟尼具備了無量的方便,通過捨來使眾生成熟,尊貴的孩子們啊,這是因為他具有源於佛國土的智慧技巧。」

5.94When these characteristics were elucidated, infinite and uncountable hundreds of thousands of bodhisattvas from the respective retinues of the thus-gone ones from all the different directions reached the perfection of insight, based on their previous aspirations.

5.94當這些特性被闡明時,來自四面八方各個如來眷屬中的無量無數百千菩薩,基於他們先前的願望,達到了洞察的波羅蜜。

5.95This concludes the chapter on the characteristics of the Buddha, the fifth in the “ Ratnaketu ” section of the Great Collection of Mahāyāna sūtras. {K121} {TK160} [B6]

5.95(結尾)