Chapter 1

第一章

1.1Thus did I hear at one time. The Blessed One was dwelling in Veṇuvana, at the Kalandakanivāpa, near the city of Rājagṛha, with a great saṅgha of a thousand monks, all of whom were noble ones. They had all exhausted defilements, were free from the afflictions, were powerful, had liberated minds, had liberated insight, were of noble birth, were great elephants, had done what needed to be done, had completed their mission, had cast off the burden, had achieved their own welfare, had severed the bonds that tied them to existence, had liberated their minds with genuine knowledge, and had perfected all mental powers. There was also a great saṅgha of ten thousand bodhisattvas, including [F.188.a] {TK6} the princely youth Holder of Meru’s Peak, the princely youth Varuṇamati, the princely youth Sumati, the princely youth Jayamati, the princely youth Jinamati, the princely youth Intelligent Light, the princely youth Intelligent Sky, the princely youth Intelligent Lightning, the princely youth Mañjuśrī, the princely youth Durdharṣa, the princely youth Varuṇa, the princely youth Vimala, the bodhisattva great being Maitreya, and others. Each of these ten thousand bodhisattvas had achieved acceptance, retention, and absorption. {TK7} Each possessed the wisdom that is unobscured by any phenomenon, had equal concern for all beings, had transcended all the domains of Māra, and had entered the domain of all the thus-gone ones. Each was knowledgeable, possessed great love and compassion, and was skilled in means.

1.1我是這樣聽說的。當時,世尊住在王舍城附近的竹林園迦蘭陀竹園,與一千位比丘組成的大眾一起,他們都是阿羅漢。他們都已經滅盡了煩惱,沒有惑,具有力量,心解脫,慧解脫,出身高貴,是大象般的聖者,已經完成了應該做的事,完成了使命,卸下了負擔,成就了自己的福祉,斷除了束縛他們輪迴的繫縛,以真實知識解脫了心,圓滿了所有心力。同時還有一萬位菩薩組成的大眾,包括持妙高峰王子、水天王子、妙意王子、勝意王子、勝慧王子、光慧王子、空慧王子、電慧王子、文殊菩薩王子、難降伏王子、水天王子、清淨王子、彌勒菩薩大士,以及其他菩薩。這一萬位菩薩都已經成就了忍、持、定。他們各自具有不為任何現象所遮蔽的智慧,對所有眾生都有平等的關心,超越了魔的所有領域,進入了所有如來的領域。他們都很博學,具有大愛心和悲心,善於方便。

1.2At the same time, there were two wandering mendicants in the city of Rājagṛha who were learned, lucid, and intelligent, had perfected the eighteen branches of knowledge, and had five hundred servants. One was named Upatiṣya and the other Kaulita. These two were heads of their retinues and leaders of pupils. They made each other the promise that “whoever first attains the nectar shall let the other know.” {TK8}

1.2此時,王舍城中有兩位遊行者,聰慧通達,智慧聰利,具足十八種知識的分支,各有五百位侍者。一位名叫優波提沙,另一位名叫拘利多。這兩位都是各自眷屬的首領和弟子的導師。他們互相約定說:「無論誰先證得涅槃甘露,都要將此事告訴對方。」

1.3Early the next morning, Venerable Aśvajit donned his lower and upper Dharma robes. Carrying his alms bowl, he went to the city of Rājagṛha to collect alms. The wandering mendicant Upatiṣya happened to come across Venerable Aśvajit and saw that he had entered the city of Rājagṛha to collect alms. He thought, “How is it that I have never before seen such beautiful deportment in any other mendicant, brahmin, or person as in this mendicant? [F.188.b] I shall go before him and ask, ‘Venerable One, who is your teacher? With whom did you go forth? Whose doctrine are you devoted to?’”

1.3翌日清晨,尊者馬星比丘穿上下衣與上衣。提著缽,進入王舍城托缽乞食。遊行者優波提沙恰好遇見尊者馬星比丘,看見他進入王舍城托缽乞食。他心想:「我從未在任何遊行者、婆羅門或人身上看過如此美好的舉止威儀,但我在這位比丘身上看到了。我應該走到他前面去問:『尊者,誰是你的師傅?你跟誰一起出家?你皈依誰的法門?』」

1.4So the wandering mendicant Upatiṣya went to where Venerable Aśvajit was and engaged in a good deal of friendly conversation. They then sat down to one side. Sitting there, the wandering mendicant Upatiṣya asked Venerable Aśvajit, “Venerable One, who is your teacher? With whom did you go forth? Whose doctrine are you devoted to?”

1.4遊行者優波提沙就來到了尊者馬星比丘的地方,與他進行了很多友善的交談。之後他們坐在了一旁。坐著的時候,遊行者優波提沙問尊者馬星比丘說:「尊者啊,誰是你的師父?你跟著誰出家?你信奉誰的法門?」

1.5Then Venerable Aśvajit answered the wandering mendicant Upatiṣya: {TK9}

1.5尊者馬星比丘於是回答遊行者優波提沙說:

“The son of the Śākyas has mastery over all disciplines and great austerities.
「釋迦族的兒子掌握一切持戒波羅蜜,並具有偉大的苦行。
Having crossed the ocean of saṃsāra he is now free, and so liberates others.
他已經超越了輪迴的大海而得到解脫,因此也能解脫他人。
Known as ‘Buddha,’ being unequaled in his capacity to awaken, he dries up the ocean of suffering, and now exists here in this world.
他被稱為「佛陀」,在喚醒眾生的能力上無可比擬,他乾枯了苦的大海,現在存在於這個世界裡。
I have taken refuge in this Immaculate One and am devoted to his Dharma.” {1.1}
我已經歸依這位清淨者,並且專心致力於他的法。

1.6“What does your teacher preach? What does he teach?” asked Upatiṣya.

1.6「你的師傅宣講什麼?他教導什麼?」優波提沙問道。

Venerable Aśvajit responded, “I will answer you. Venerable, listen well and bear what I say in mind. I will answer you.

尊者馬星比丘回答說:「我將為你解答。尊者,請你仔細聆聽,並牢記我所說的話。我將為你解答。」

“The Guide professed how the world arises caused by action and afflictions,
「導師宣說世界如何由業和煩惱而生起,
And he also professed the remedies for reversing such action and afflictions.
他也說明了對治這種業和煩惱的方法。
This Lord of Orators taught from his own knowledge the supreme liberation,
這位說法之主從他自己的知識中教導最高的解脫,
Where the sufferings of birth, aging, and decline are definitely not present.” {1.2} {TK10}
絕對沒有生、老、衰這些苦出現的地方。

1.8When the wandering mendicant Upatiṣya heard this teaching, he purified the stainless and immaculate Dharma eye that sees phenomena. A state free from the afflictions arose, and he attained the fruit of stream entry. He then said:

1.8當遊行者優波提沙聽到這個教法時,他淨化了無染無垢的法眼,能夠看見諸法。遠離惑的境界出現了,他證得了初果。他隨後說:

“The Buddha teaches the ambrosial Dharma, a treasure to hear, that is so difficult to find.
「佛陀教導甘露般的法,這是難得一聞的珍寶。」
It penetrates the truth, drying up the perpetual torrent of rebirth.
它穿透真理,乾涸了轉生的永恆洪流。
It quells the suffering of all beings.
它平息了所有眾生的苦。
This sublime path consists in the peerless cultivation of qualities of insight.” {1.3} [F.189.a]
這條殊勝的道路在於無與倫比地培養洞察的品質。

1.10The wandering mendicant Upatiṣya then asked Venerable Aśvajit, “Venerable, where is the thus-gone, worthy, perfect Buddha right now?”

1.10遊行者優波提沙隨後問尊者馬星比丘:「尊者,現在那位已去世的、應供的、圓滿的佛陀在何處?」

Venerable Aśvajit answered, {TK11} “Venerable, the Blessed One is now staying in Veṇuvana, at the Kalandakanivāpa, near Rājagṛha. He is residing there with the great monastic saṅgha of one thousand monks who have gone forth and who used to have matted hair.”

尊者馬星比丘回答說:「尊者,世尊現在住在竹林園,迦蘭陀竹園,王舍城附近。他住在那裡,有大約一千位已經出家的比丘組成的僧團,這些比丘過去都留著纏結的頭髮。」

Upatiṣya said, “Once I have seen my best friend and disciples, I will vow to go forth before the Blessed One.”

優波提沙說:「等我見到我最好的朋友和弟子後,我就會在世尊面前發願出家。」

1.11The wandering mendicant Upatiṣya then bowed his head to the feet of Venerable Aśvajit and circumambulated him three times. He once again departed and went to meet the wandering mendicant Kaulita. The wandering mendicant Kaulita saw the wandering mendicant Upatiṣya coming from far off and exclaimed, “Venerable, given that your faculties look so clear, that your facial complexion looks so pure, and that the tone of your skin looks so light‍—Venerable, you must have found the nectar!”

1.11遊行者優波提沙隨後向尊者馬星比丘的雙足頂禮,並繞行三圈。他再次離開,前往會見遊行者拘利多。遊行者拘利多從遠處看到遊行者優波提沙走來,便大聲說道:「尊者,看你的諸根如此清淨,面容如此潔淨,膚色如此光潔—尊者,你一定是找到了甘露!」

“So it is, Venerable One!” Upatiṣya responded. “I have found the nectar! Therefore, Venerable, listen well and bear what I say in mind. I will tell you of what I have found.”

「是的,尊者!」優波提沙回答說,「我已經找到了甘露!因此,尊者,請專心聽我說,並牢記我的話。我將告訴你我所發現的。」

1.12The wandering mendicant Kaulita then rose from his seat, draped his shawl over one shoulder, and knelt on his right knee. With palms together he bowed toward Upatiṣya and said: {TK12}

1.12遊行者拘利多便從座位上起身,將披衣搭在一肩,右膝跪地。雙掌合十向優波提沙頂禮,說道:

“Tell me of the path to peace and the end of anguish,
「請為我詳述和平之道與苦難的終結,」
Which swiftly takes one across the ocean of the three realms of existence
能迅速帶領人跨越三界的苦海
While destroying the great enemy of the aggregates.
同時摧毀蘊的大敵。
I will then set forth on the path that eliminates further origination.” {1.4}
我將踏上消滅再生的道路。」

1.13The wandering mendicant Upatiṣya then said:

1.13遊行者優波提沙隨後說道:

“The Guide professed how the world arises caused by action and afflictions,
「導師說明了世間如何因業和惑而生起,
And he also professed the remedies for reversing such action and afflictions.
他也闡說了扭轉業和惑的對治方法。
This Lord of Orators taught from his own knowledge the supreme liberation wherein sufferings of birth, aging, and decline are definitely not present.” {1.5} [F.189.b]
這位法語之主從其自身的知識教導至高的解脫,在那裡絕對沒有生、老、衰的苦。

1.14Kaulita responded:

1.14拘利多回答:

“That sage teaches the immaculate and peaceful Dharma that serves to quell all suffering.
「那位聖賢教導清淨平和的法,用來平息一切苦。」
It quells all afflictions, negative views, and faults, and it cuts through unknowing.
它能平息所有煩惱、邪見和過失,並斷除無明。
He teaches that conditioned things are false and thus empty and deceptive.
他教導有為法是虛偽的,因此是空的和欺騙性的。
Hearing this brings one to peace, so please repeat these immaculate words that he spoke.” {1.6} {TK13}
聽聞這些話能令人得到安寧,所以請重複他所說的這些清淨的言語。

1.15Upatiṣya said:

1.15優波提沙說:

“The Guide professed how the world arises caused by action and afflictions,
「導師說明了世界是由業和惑所引起的,
And he also professed the remedies for reversing such action and afflictions.
他也宣說了扭轉這些業和惑的對治方法。
This Lord of Orators taught from his own knowledge the supreme liberation
這位言論之主從自己的知識教導至高的解脫
Wherein sufferings of birth, aging, and decline are definitely not present.” {1.7}
其中絕對沒有生、老、衰的苦。

1.16The wandering mendicant Kaulita then purified the stainless and immaculate Dharma eye that sees phenomena. As he was thus purified and his afflictions were eliminated, he attained the fruit of stream entry. Then he proclaimed:

1.16遊行者拘利多隨後淨化了無染無垢的法眼,得以看見諸法。當他如此淨化並消除了煩惱之後,他證得了初果。隨即他宣說:

“This genuine conduct is a boat that liberates from, quells, and swiftly crosses the river.
「這種真正的修行就像一艘船,能夠從輪迴中解脫、平息苦難,並迅速渡過生死之河。
This supreme wisdom pacifies the three types of suffering and crosses over saṃsāra.
這勝智菩薩平息三種苦,超越輪迴。
If one realizes this, one will defeat the afflictions and aggregates and tame the māras.
若能如實理解這點,就能克服煩惱和蘊,降伏魔障。
This emancipation clears away enemies and struggles and dries up the ocean of suffering.” {1.8}
這解脫清除了敵人與爭鬥,乾涸了苦的大海。

1.18Kaulita asked, “Where is the thus-gone, worthy, perfect Buddha right now?”

1.18拘利多問道:「現在如來、應供、正等正覺的佛陀在哪裡呢?」

“Venerable,” Upatiṣya answered, “I have heard that the Blessed One is now staying in Veṇuvana, at the Kalandakanivāpa, near Rājagṛha, with a great saṅgha of monks and a great saṅgha of bodhisattvas. {TK14} What if we go forth in the presence of the Blessed One?”

「尊者,」優波提沙回答說,「我聽說世尊現在住在王舍城附近的竹林園迦蘭陀竹園,有許多比丘僧團和許多菩薩僧團在一起。{TK14}我們何不前往世尊面前出家呢?」

“Venerable One,” replied Kaulita, “we should do so. With our followers in mind, let us go forth.”

拘利多回答道:「尊者,我們應該這樣做。為了我們的追隨者著想,讓我們一起出家吧。」

The wandering mendicants Upatiṣya and Kaulita then went to their followers.

遊行者優波提沙和拘利多隨後前往他們的追隨者那裡。

1.19Just then in the land of Aṅga-Magadha, Māra the evil one heard that the learned, well-spoken, eloquent, [F.190.a] and renowned good men Upatiṣya and Kaulita, along with their followers, were on their way to take ordination under the teachings of the monk Gautama. He thought, “Alas! If those two become students of the monk Gautama, they will empty my māra realm. So I must go there and dissuade those two good men from going forth. {K1} I must make them embrace the view of the evil one.”

1.19就在此時,在央伽摩揭陀地區,魔聞知那位學識淵博、言辭善巧、口才流利、聲名遠播的善人優波提沙和拘利多,正率領他們的追隨者,前往在喬達摩比丘的教法下出家受戒。魔心想:「唉呀!如果這兩個人成為喬達摩比丘的弟子,他們將清空我的魔界。所以我必須趕到那裡,勸阻這兩個善人不要出家。我必須讓他們接受魔的邪見。」

1.20At the same moment, Māra, the evil one, disappeared from his abode and took on the apparel, attributes, and behavior of Venerable Aśvajit. He stood in the road before the two good men, and declared:

1.20就在同一時刻,魔王消失在他的住所,穿上了尊者馬星比丘的衣著、特徵和舉止。他站在兩位善人前面的路上,宣布道:

“What I said before about causation, using cause similes, is wrong.
「我之前用因緣比喻所說的都是錯誤的。」
I said it in order to definitively test your way of thinking.
我說那些話是為了要徹底考驗你們的思想方式。
All that I said before is nonsense, as there are no karmic causes.
我之前說的那些話都是胡言亂語,因為根本沒有業的因果。
How could bad or good actions possibly produce results? {1.9} {K2}
不好的業和好的業怎麼可能產生結果呢?
“You should promptly pursue sensual delights and seek amusements.
你應當迅速追求感官歡樂,尋求娛樂。
There is no death, nor is there birth, suffering, aging, or the hereafter, {TK15}
沒有死,也沒有生、苦、老,以及來世。
And there are no good or bad results generated by action, given that there are no causes or actions.
既然沒有因和業,就不會有由業所產生的善惡果報。
The scion of the Śākyas teaches this for his own gain, so do not put your faith in him.” {1.10}
釋迦族的聖者為了自己的利益而宣揚這些,所以不要對他寄予信心。

1.23Upatiṣya and Kaulita then thought, “It must be Māra, the evil one, who has approached us in order to dissuade us from entering the religious life.”

1.23優波提沙和拘利多心想:「這定是魔來接近我們,想要我們放棄出家。」

Upatiṣya turned around and addressed his followers. “Listen, my pupils, and remember the shortcomings of saṃsāra:

優波提沙轉身向他的弟子們說話。「聽著,我的學生們,要記住輪迴的缺陷:

“The world is afflicted by old age and surrounded by death.
「世界被衰老折磨著,被死亡包圍著。
To eliminate them both, you must fully embrace the wandering mendicant’s life.” {1.11}
為了徹底消除這兩者,你必須完全實踐遊行者的生活。

1.24Kaulita, for his part, spoke to Māra:

1.24拘利多對魔說:

“Known as the best, the Dharma captivates the minds of the wise and ends the three sufferings.
「被稱為最好的法,能夠吸引智慧者的心,並且消除三苦。
There is no one anywhere who could shake us from this knowledge.
沒有任何人能動搖我們所擁有的知識。
We constantly exert ourselves [F.190.b] with the resolute intention to quell our craving.
我們以堅定的思念,不斷努力來平息我們的渴愛。
How could the words of a jackal in a lion’s guise sway our minds?” {1.12}
一隻披著獅子皮的豺狼說的話,怎麼可能動搖我們的心呢?

1.25Those gods who were able to behold truth hovered in the sky and {K3} applauded these two good men: “Good, good it is, O good men! This path whereby one leaves home to embrace the life of a wandering mendicant is eminent throughout the entire world. It quells all suffering. It is the path leading into the domain of all the thus-gone ones. {TK16} It has been explained and praised by all the blessed buddhas as the path that leads from home to the life of a wandering mendicant.”

1.25那些能夠看見真理的天神在空中盤旋,為這兩位善良的男子鼓掌:「好極了,好極了,諸位善男子!這條捨棄家庭,擁抱遊行者生活的道路在整個世界中都是最殊勝的。它消除了一切苦。它是通往所有如來領域的道路。它已被所有受祝福的佛陀解釋並讚頌為從家庭生活通往遊行者生活的道路。」

1.26Māra, the evil one, unhappy, dejected, and sullen, disappeared then from that very spot.

1.26魔王不悅、沮喪、陰沉,隨即從那個地方消失了。

The two wandering mendicants, Upatiṣya and Kaulita, directed their gaze at their followers and said, “You ought to know, pupils, that owing to the Thus-Gone One the two of us are setting forth into the wandering mendicant’s life in order to reach the far shore of the ocean of aging, sickness, and death. Any of you who do not wish to go forth in line with the teachings of the Blessed One should turn back here and now.”

這兩位遊行者優波提沙和拘利多看向他們的弟子說:「你們應當知道,弟子們,正是因為如來,我們兩人才踏上遊行者的生活,目的是要渡過衰老、疾病和死亡的苦海彼岸。你們中任何不願意按照世尊教法而出家的人,現在就應當回頭。」

1.27Then the five hundred pupils all said, “Whatever we know is through your authority. If the two of you are embracing the wandering mendicant’s life on account of someone great, we too shall become wandering mendicants on account of the same person.”

1.27那五百名弟子都說道:「我們所知道的一切都是因為你們的教導。如果你們二位是為了追隨某位偉大的人而出家成為遊行者,我們也要為了同一個人而成為遊行者。」

1.28The two wandering mendicants Upatiṣya and Kaulita, together with their retinue of five hundred, then set out to go forth under the Blessed One. Māra, the evil one, knew this, and so he conjured up a huge chasm outside of the great city of Rājagṛha one hundred leagues deep {K4} so that the two would be unable to go before Gautama the monk. The Blessed One, however, performed a miraculous feat whereby the wandering mendicants Upatiṣya and Kaulita did not see that great chasm [F.191.a] and could travel by the most direct route.

1.28遊行者優波提沙和拘利多這兩位,帶著五百弟子的眷屬,一起出發去皈依世尊。魔知道了這件事,便在王舍城外面變現出一個巨大的深淵,深達一百由旬,想要阻止這兩位人物無法來見喬達摩比丘。世尊卻施展神通奇蹟,讓遊行者優波提沙和拘利多看不見那道巨大的深淵,能夠以最直接的路線來到世尊面前。

1.29Māra, the evil one, further conjured a mountain range in front of them‍—stable, solid, unbreakable, without valleys, singularly thick, hard, and one thousand leagues tall. {TK17} In addition, he conjured one thousand fierce lions, vicious and terrible, making a great din. But the two good men, thanks to the force of the Blessed One’s splendor and miraculous powers, did not see that mountain. Nor did they see the lions or hear their roaring. Instead, they arrived where the Blessed One was by the straightest possible route.

1.29魔王進一步又變現出一座山脈擋在他們前面——穩固、堅實、堅不可摧、沒有山谷、特別厚實、堅硬,高達一千里。此外,他還變現出一千隻兇猛的獅子,兇惡可怕,發出巨大的聲響。但這兩位善人依靠世尊的光輝和神通的力量,既沒有看到那座山,也沒有看到獅子,也沒有聽到它們的咆哮。反而,他們以最直的路線來到了世尊所在的地方。

1.30The Blessed One, attended upon by a congregation of many hundreds of thousands of followers, was expounding the Dharma. “Look, O monks, at these two good men, surrounded by followers, who are the heads of their assembly!”

1.30世尊在數百萬計的眷屬圍繞下,正在演說法。世尊說:「比丘們,你們看,這兩位善人被眷屬環繞著,他們是各自修行團體的領袖!」

“We see them, O Blessed One,” they replied.

「世尊,我們看到了,」他們回答道。

1.31The Blessed One foresaw, “Of these two good men who are here, along with their retinues, to enter the wandering mendicant’s life by my side, one will become the best of those endowed with insight among all the hearers, {K5} and the other will become the best of those endowed with miraculous powers.”

1.31世尊預知:「這兩位好男子和他們的眷屬,來到我身邊出家成為遊行者,其中一位將成為所有聲聞中洞察力最強的第一人,另一位將成為擁有神通最強的第一人。」

1.32One of the monks recited on that occasion the following stanza:

1.32當時有一位比丘於此機會念誦了以下的偈頌:

“These two learned men, along with their retinues,
「這兩位博學的人,連同他們的眷屬,
Are prophesied to be benefited by the best of men
被預言將得到最殊勝者的利益
And to acquire miraculous powers and fearless insight.
並獲得神通和無畏的洞察。
I welcome them both with a feeling of growing admiration.” {1.13}
我對他們兩位懷著日益增長的敬佩之情來歡迎他們。

1.33The monk then got up from his seat and, together with many other monks, householders, and wandering mendicants, welcomed the two good men and honored them. The two men, for their part, moved near to the Blessed One, bowed their heads to his feet, circumambulated him clockwise three times, and, standing before him, said, “Please allow us to go forth and bestow the monk’s ordination upon us. Close to you, [F.191.b] {TK18} let us practice celibacy.”

1.33那位比丘於是從座位上起身,和許多其他比丘、居士及遊行者一同迎接和敬禮這兩位善男子。這兩個人隨後走近世尊,向他的雙足頂禮,繞他右轉三圈,然後站在他面前說:「請允許我們出家受戒。在您跟前,讓我們修持梵行。」

1.34“What are your names, O noble sons?” asked the Blessed One.

1.34「善男子啊,你們叫什麼名字?」世尊問道。

Upatiṣya replied, “I am the son of the brahmin Tiṣya, and so I am called Upatiṣya. My mother’s name is Śārikā. As I was born of her, my given name is Śāriputra. {K6} I already have my parents’ permission to go forth.”

優波提沙回答說:「我是婆羅門提舍的兒子,所以我叫優波提沙。我的母親名叫舍利迦。因為我是她生的,我的名字是舍利弗。我已經得到了父母允許我出家的同意。」

1.35Kaulita replied, “My father’s name is Kauṇḍinya, and so I am called Kaulita. My mother’s name is Mudgalā, so the common name given to me is Maudgalyāyana. Some people know me as Kaulita, while others as Maudgalyāyana. I already have my parents’ permission to go forth.”

1.35拘利多回答說:"我的父親名叫拘隣提,所以我被稱為拘利多。我的母親名叫目犍羅,所以我的通俗名字是目犍連。有些人叫我拘利多,有些人叫我目犍連。我已經得到父母的同意出家受戒。"

1.36“Śāriputra, Maudgalyāyana, and your retinues, you may live the holy life by my side,” said the Blessed One.

1.36世尊說道:「舍利弗、目犍連及你們的眷屬,你們可以在我身邊修行聖潔的生活。」

This is how they went forth and received their ordination as monks.

他們就這樣出家受戒成為比丘。

1.37Not long after Śāriputra, Maudgalyāyana, and their retinues had gone forth, Māra, the evil one, assuming the form of Maheśvara, stood in front of the Blessed One and said:

1.37舍利弗、目犍連及其眷屬出家受戒不久,魔王現出大自在天的形象,站在世尊面前說:

“Those who convey the meaning of systematic treatises and who have excelled in the fields of knowledge
「那些傳達系統性論述含義、在知識領域中表現優異的人
Will all bow to my feet, as I am their guide.
都會向我的足下膜拜,因為我是他們的導師。
You, Venerable Gautama, with your following of students, should promptly seek refuge in me today.
你啊,尊敬的喬達摩,你和你的眾多弟子應該立即今天向我歸依。
I will teach you the wide and clear path to nirvāṇa.” {1.14}
我將為你們講說通往涅槃的寬廣清晰的道路。

1.39The Blessed One replied: {K7}

1.39世尊回答說:{K7}

“Your path brings misfortune to beings and leads them to the ocean of suffering.
「你的道路給眾生帶來不幸,引導他們走向苦的大海。
My path dries up the ocean of suffering for both mobile and stationary beings. {TK19}
我的道路能夠為流動和靜止的眾生乾涸苦的大海。
What more then will you say, O arrogant and garrulous one with the voice of a jackal?
那麼你還想說什麼呢,傲慢而喧鬧的傢伙,你那豺狼般的聲音?
You are exposed! It is not in your power to play Māra’s tricks on me again.” {1.15}
你已經被揭露了!你沒有力量再次對我施展魔的詭計。

1.40Māra, the evil one, then disappeared in his form of Maheśvara, and again reappeared in front of the Blessed One in the guise of Brahmā , saying:

1.40魔王這個惡者於是在大自在天的形相中消失了,然後又在梵天的模樣中重新出現在世尊的面前,說道:

“As you have crushed, by means of insight, action and afflictions, the sprouts of saṃsāra,
「你已經以洞察、業和惑,摧毀了輪迴的幼芽,
Why, O Sage, do you still endure discomforts in this world for the sake of beings in this way? [F.192.a]
聖者啊,您為什麼還要這樣為了眾生的緣故,忍受這世間的種種不適呢?
Master, nowhere in this world is there a qualified recipient for what you offer.
世尊,這個世界上沒有任何地方有堪當接受您所給予的教法的合格對象。
Why do you not hurry to enter nirvāṇa, leaving all ailments behind? Now is the time!” {1.16}
你為什麼不趕快進入涅槃,拋卻一切疾苦呢?現在正是時候!

1.42The Blessed One replied:

1.42世尊回答說:

“I can see peerless beings as numerous as the sand grains in the Gaṅgā
「我能看到無量的眾生,如同恆河沙粒一樣眾多,
Who require my guidance and will be liberated by me through compassion. {K8}
需要我的指導,並將被我透過悲心所解救。
If people, be they of middling, superior, or the least capability, definitely need to be liberated,
假如眾生,無論是中等根器、上等根器,或是最下等根器,一定都需要被解脫,
Then why, O wicked one, do you give me the hypocritical advice that I should enter nirvāṇa?” {1.17} {TK20}
那麼,邪惡的人啊,你為什麼還要用虛偽的勸告來對我說,我應該進入涅槃呢?

1.43Māra, the evil one, again became unhappy, dejected, and sullen. He vanished on the spot and went back to his abode. He sat there, sinking into despondency. Immediately, all the beings who inhabited Māra’s abode started asking one another, “What could be the reason that our great king just sits there, sinking into despondency? Nobody knows why.”

1.43魔王變得再次不悅、沮喪和悶悶不樂。他當場消失,回到了自己的住處。他坐在那裡,陷入了絕望之中。頓時,所有住在魔王住處的眾生開始彼此詢問:「我們的大王為什麼坐在那裡,陷入絕望之中呢?沒有人知道原因。」

1.44Then the five hundred daughters of Māra, wearing clothes and adornments most pleasing to the mind, brought flower garlands and unguents capable of giving supreme pleasure. They played celestial instruments with the most captivating sounds that totally thrill the mind, danced, and sang songs. With sounds of a great celestial orchestra composed of five types of instruments that amuse and delight, they stood in front of the evil Māra. But he, the evil one, stretched forth his arms and cried out, “Stop this noise! Stop this noise!”

1.44然後魔的五百個女兒,穿著和佩戴著最令心悅悅的衣服和飾品,帶來花環和能給予最高喜樂的香膏。她們演奏天樂器,發出最迷人的聲音,完全讓心歡喜,跳舞和唱歌。伴隨著由五種樂器組成的偉大天樂隊的聲音,這些樂器逗樂和愉悅眾生,她們站在邪惡的魔面前。但他,那邪惡的,伸出他的雙臂,喊著:「停止這噪音!停止這噪音!」

1.45At these words, the celestial nymphs fell silent for a moment, but then broke into song again, striking and strumming their instruments. At that, Māra, the evil one, once again threw up his arms and began to bellow. Seven times the nymphs began to sing, dance, and play instruments, in ways bound to give pleasure, and seven times Māra, the evil one, threw {K9} his arms in the air and hollered, “Stop this noise! Stop this noise!” Thus commanded, the nymphs fell silent. However, one nymph called Vidyudvalgusvarā bowed in the direction of the evil Māra and asked:

1.45天女們聽到這些話,沉默了一會兒,隨後又唱起歌來,敲打和撥動樂器。此時,魔再次揮舞著雙臂開始大聲呼喊。天女們七次唱歌、舞蹈和演奏樂器,方式都是為了帶來喜樂,而魔七次揮舞雙臂喊道:「停止這噪音!停止這噪音!」在魔的命令下,天女們沉默了。然而,一位名叫毗吒嚩嚩故娑羅的天女朝著魔鞠躬並問道:

“O Lord, have you just seen an omen portending your death? [F.192.b]
「尊主啊,您是不是剛剛看到了預示您死亡的徵兆?」
Or has the world become engulfed in fire today? {TK21}
還是世界今天被火焰吞沒了?
Or have you discovered an enemy stronger than you in this world?
或者你在這世界上發現了比你更強大的敵人?
Why are you so sad? Why won’t you have fun?” {1.18}
你為什麼這麼悲傷?為什麼不開心呢?

1.47Māra replied:

1.47魔回答說:

“I have a powerful enemy who has tamed his mind.
「我有一個強大的敵人,他已經調伏了自己的心。
On earth, the son of the Śākyas is trained to recognize magical tricks.
在人間,釋迦族的兒子受過訓練,能夠識別魔法的把戲。
If he is not brought to ruin, then, one way or another,
如果他沒有被摧毀,那麼,無論如何,
He will empty my realm of desires.” {1.19}
他會使我的欲界空無一人。{1.19}

1.48The nymphs inquired:

1.48天女們詢問道: </answer>

“Lord, by what means, power, valor, and courage
「主君啊,用什麼方便、力量、勇和勇氣
Can he be brought to final and complete ruin, here on this day? {K10}
他能在今日被帶到最終的、徹底的毀滅嗎?
Who could possess the power to dry up the ocean of craving
誰能具有乾涸渴愛之海的力量
With its vast waters, the fetters of threefold existence?” {1.20}
具有廣大水域的三界結?」{1.20}

1.49Māra replied:

1.49魔回答說:

“His lassos are generosity, yogic discipline, intention, compassion, and aspiration.
「他的繩索是佈施、禪定、思、悲心和願。
His bow is armed with a supreme arrow aimed at the target of emptiness.
他的弓上配備著一支瞄準空性目標的殊勝之箭。
He gives instructions on how to totally extinguish conditioned existence,
他傳授如何徹底滅除有為的教導。
Being predisposed to pacifying the pathways emerging from within saṃsāra. {1.21}
具有平息從輪迴內部顯現的道路的傾向。{1.21}
“His pupils dwell in empty towns and villages,
「他的弟子們住在空蕪的城鎮和村莊裡,
Deep in the forest, or in the mountain wilderness.
深藏在森林中,或在山區荒野裡。
With minds diligently engaged in meditation, they live in solitude
他們的心專注於禪修,獨自生活。
And continually strive to eliminate their faults. {1.22} {TK22}
並且不斷努力消除他們的過失。{1.22} {TK22}
“Two of them, Upatiṣya and Kaulita, trained by the Sage,
「其中兩位優波提沙和拘利多,受到聖者的教導訓練,」
Have for companions their own miraculous abilities, powers, and compassion.
以自己的神通、力量和悲心作為伴侶。
His Dharma, skillfully presented in ways suited to everybody in the threefold universe,
他的法,以適合三界一切眾生的方式巧妙地呈現。
Will certainly empty my desire realm.” {1.23}
必定會清空我的欲界。」{1.23}

1.52Having heard this description of the Blessed One’s virtues from the evil Māra, all of his five hundred daughters attained the bodhisattva absorption formless bolt of lightning. {K11} To offer worship to the Blessed One, they cast in his direction items such as celestial instruments, flowers, perfume, garlands, fragrant oils, adornments, and jewelry. They cast them in the direction of the Blessed One, by whose magical power these instruments [F.193.a] and so forth rained down onto Veṇuvana, and the daughters themselves, along with their retinues, could see it raining. Seeing that such rain was falling upon Veṇuvana, they were delighted and delighted even more.

1.52魔王聽到了關於世尊德行的這些描述,他的五百位女兒都證得了菩薩三昧無色電光。為了禮敬世尊,她們向他的方向投擲天樂器、花朵、香料、花環、香油、裝飾品和珠寶等物品。她們投擲這些物品向世尊的方向,由世尊的神力,這些樂器等物品紛紛降落在竹林園,那些女兒們與她們的眷屬也都能看到這場降雨。看到這樣的雨落在竹林園,她們歡喜無比,更加歡喜。

1.53The monks, however, became suspicious and asked the Blessed One, “How is it, O Blessed One, that such a marvelous and extraordinary rain, never seen or heard before, is showering upon Śāriputra and Maudgalyāyana along with their retinues? What could be the cause of it? What is the occasion?”

1.53比丘們產生了懷疑,問世尊道:"世尊啊,怎麼會有這樣奇妙非凡的雨,是從未見聞過的,落在舍利弗和目犍連及其眷屬身上呢?這是什麼原因呢?這是什麼緣故呢?"

1.54The Blessed One replied, “It is not by the will of these two noble sons that this great rain of flowers and so forth is falling. Rather, it was released from the abode of the evil Māra by his five hundred daughters along with their retinues, {TK23} in order to worship me. Soon they will come here and receive from me the prophecy regarding their attainment of the unsurpassed and perfect awakening.” {K12}

1.54世尊回答說:「這場花雨等的降落,並非由這兩位善男子的意願所致。相反地,這是由邪惡魔王的五百位女兒連同她們的眷屬,從魔王的住所釋放出來的,{TK23}為了禮拜我。不久她們將來到這裡,從我這裡獲得關於她們證得無上正等菩提的授記。」{K12}

1.55The five hundred daughters of Māra, the evil one, heard the Blessed One’s discourse from his own mouth and were overjoyed. Through faith and intense joy, which they developed in his presence, they attained the absorption not losing the mind of awakening . Subsequently, right there in Māra’s abode, they each donned a robe of a single piece of material, and they placed their right knees on the ground, folded their hands, and, looking in the direction where the Blessed One was seated, said:

1.55魔王的五百位女兒親聞世尊的語言,心生欣喜。她們在世尊面前,以信心和強烈的喜悅,證得了不失菩提心的定。之後,在魔王的住處,她們各自穿上一件衣服,右膝著地,合掌,面向世尊所坐的方向,說道:

“The river of craving of the entire world has completely dried up.
「整個世界的渴愛之河已經完全乾枯。
As the single eye, seeing the world that has defective eyes,
如同獨眼見到有眼缺陷的世界,
You are presently the savior of the world with its humans and gods.
您目前是這個世界(包括人類和天神)的救世主。
How, O sage, can we swiftly become buddhas in this world? {1.24}
聖者啊,我們怎樣才能在這個世界中迅速成為佛呢?
“You are worshiped by gods and humans, O Blessed One, as you proclaim the absolute truth.
世尊,您被天神和人類所尊敬,因為您宣說絕對的真理。
Through your magical power, may each of us leave behind vile womanhood
願以您的神力,使我們每一個人都離開卑劣的女性身。
And swiftly come into your presence, O high-minded one!
然後,我們將迅速來到您面前,高尚的聖者!
Then, we shall listen to the teachings of the lord of sages. {1.25} [F.193.b]
那麼,我們將聆聽諸賢之主的教法。{1.25} [F.193.b]
“You, O Blessed One, are a proponent of no-self who beholds the absolute truth.
「世尊啊,您是宣揚無我的倡導者,通達絕對真理的覺悟者。
You are a lamp of immaculate speech who upholds the jewel of the limbs of awakening.
你是一盞清淨光明的語言之燈,守護著覺支這無價之寶。
Having defeated the forces of Māra, you are without equal. {K13}
已經戰勝魔的勢力,你無人能及。
Please prophesy now our swift and collective attainment of buddhahood.” {1.26}
請現在為我們預言快速和共同證得佛果。

1.59The daughters then rose from their seats and, in one voice, said this to Māra, the evil one: {TK24}

1.59那些女性隨後從座位上起身,齊聲對惡魔說出這些話:

“How could you, O ill-willed one, be so wicked minded in the presence of the Blessed One,
「你這惡心的傢伙,怎麼敢在世尊面前如此邪惡呢?
Having yourself attained only a fickle and worthless glory?
你自己只證得了易變且無價值的榮耀?
Every living body is attended upon by the suffering of birth and so forth.
每一個有生命的身體都伴隨著生、苦等的困擾。
Tainted by pride, you will fall into a terrible state of existence. {1.27}
被慢所污染,你將墮入可怕的存在狀態。{1.27}
“Therefore, have faith in the Victorious One, abandon your anger,
「因此,要對勝利者有信心,放棄你的憤怒,
And pull yourself out of the mire of pride, the fault of saṃsāra.
並從慢的泥沼中自拔出來,擺脫輪迴的過失。
He knows the nature of all beings.
他了知一切眾生的本性。
Come, let us promptly go to the compassionate one and follow his way.” {1.28}
來吧,讓我們迅速前往那位充滿悲心的人,追隨他的道路。」{1.28}

1.61But the evil Māra, his mind absolutely corrupted, thought this: “I must now think of such force, within the power of Māra, that these five hundred along with their retinues will each be snared and bound with five fetters and turned back at this very point, not being able to proceed any further.”

1.61但是邪惡的魔,心意已經完全被污染,起了這樣的念頭:「我現在必須想出魔的力量範圍內這樣的強大力量,使得這五百人連同他們的眷屬,每個人都會被五個結所束縛纏繞,並在這個地方被阻擋回頭,無法繼續前進。」

1.62However, Māra was unable to bind them. Why was that? Because these five hundred with their retinues had been blessed by the Thus-Gone One. He was unable to stop them, and the five hundred, along with their retinues, went before Māra, the evil one, {K14} who became even more enraged. He thought, “I must now think of such force, within the power of Māra, {TK25} that this entire area becomes covered in thick black clouds and pummeled by violent gusts of wind, so that they get lost wandering in all directions with their retinues and, unable to see the monk Gautama, will return to my abode.”

1.62然而,魔無法束縛他們。為什麼呢?因為這五百人及其眷屬已被如來所祝福。魔無法阻止他們,這五百人連同他們的眷屬來到了邪惡的魔面前,魔變得更加憤怒。他心想:「我現在必須想到魔的力量範圍內的這樣一種力量,讓整個地區被濃厚的黑雲所覆蓋,並被猛烈的陣風所摧殘,使得他們和眷屬一起在四面八方迷失方向,無法看見比丘喬達摩,就會回到我的住所。」

1.63However, because of the power of the Buddha’s blessing, he was unable to raise sufficient wind to stir even a single hair tip, not to mention anything more. The evil Māra then became even more unhappy, dejected, and sullen. Crying, he bellowed in a forceful voice [F.194.a] to the hosts of his sons along with their retinues, engulfing the entire abode of Māra with these words:

1.63然而,由於佛陀祝福的力量,魔甚至無法鼓起足夠的風來吹動一根毛髮的尖端,更不用說其他的了。邪惡的魔變得更加不悅、沮喪和悶悶不樂。哭著,他用有力的聲音向他的眾多兒子及其眷屬大聲呼喊,用這些話充滿了魔的整個住處:

“Come here, dear children, along with your retinues!
「過來這邊,親愛的孩子們,帶著你們的眷屬!
We are being banished from our domains and deprived of our strength and magical powers.
我們正在被驅逐出領地,被奪去力量和神力。
Born in this world, with a nature like a poisonous tree,
生在這個世界上,本性如同毒樹一般,
The son of the Śākyas is a sweet-talking deceiver.” {1.29}
釋迦族的兒子是個甜言蜜語的欺騙者。

1.65At these words, all of Māra’s daughters and servant girls, as well as all {K15} his sons with their retinues, {TK26} making haste, swiftly approached and stood in front of Māra, the evil one. There was in that gathering a son by the name Jayamati. With folded hands he inquired:

1.65聽到這些話,魔的所有女兒和侍女,以及他的所有兒子和他們的眷屬,都匆忙迅速前來,站在邪惡的魔面前。在那個聚集中有一個名叫勝慢的兒子。他合掌恭敬地問道:

“Why are you so sad, with your mind so dejected and infuriated?
「你為什麼這樣悲傷,你的心這麼沮喪和憤怒?
There is no fire here, like at the end of an eon, nor are you passing from here.
這裡沒有如劫末般的火焰,你也沒有從這裡消亡。
You have no enemy that is rising to power.
你沒有任何敵人正在崛起掌權。
Why are you so confused? Why are you so preoccupied about someone else?” {1.30}
你為什麼這麼困惑?為什麼你為別人的事這麼心煩?{1.30}

1.67Māra replied:

1.67魔回答說:

“Don’t you see the son of the Śākyas sitting in the shade of the commoners’ tree?
「你難道沒看到釋迦族的兒子坐在平民的樹蔭下嗎?」
Then why do you say here in front of me that I have no powerful enemy?
那麼你為什麼在我面前說我沒有強大的敵人呢?
That powerful rogue has misled everybody in various ways.
那個強大的惡棍已經用各種方法迷惑了所有人。
Because of that we and our sons and legions are scorched by fire with flaming tongues. {1.31}
因為這個原因,我們和我們的兒子以及軍隊都被火焰舔舐的火燒烤著。{1.31}
“The most prominent people of this world, whose fame and glory are widely celebrated,
「這個世界上最傑出的人,他們的名聲和榮耀廣為傳頌,
Learned people who study and excel in sciences, poetry, and composition, {TK27}
學問淵博、在科學、詩歌和創作方面卓有成就的人們,
Have readily taken refuge in the son of the Śākyas, pulled in by the Dharma hook he casts.
已經很容易地歸依了釋迦族的兒子,被他所施展的法鉤所吸引。
Thus this enemy of mine, attractive in body but wicked in mind, has gained in prominence. {1.32} {K16}
就這樣,我這個敵人,外表迷人卻心地邪惡,變得聲名遠播。
“Even my beloved retinue, having heartlessly abandoned me
「連我所鍾愛的眷屬,都無情地遺棄了我
After being entrusted to me, have now taken refuge in that monk.
被託付給我之後,現在已經歸依那位比丘。
That rogue will empty the entire threefold universe with his magic
那個惡棍將用他的魔法掏空整個三界。
If we don’t reduce him to ashes here and now by using force and acting quickly.” {1.33}
如果我們現在不趕快用力量把他化為灰燼。{1.33}

1.70All the sons of Māra with their numerous retinues folded their hands and promised, “We will do it. What we can do is put on a display of our magical powers, strength, dominion, [F.194.b] authority, and miracles. If we are able to turn the son of the Śākyas to ashes, that’s good. If we are unable to, we shall take refuge in him. You yourself, O Father, have witnessed that we, surrounded by our huge army, have previously been defeated by the son of the Śākyas acting alone, without a companion, using merely his magical powers. What then can we expect if he is surrounded by his followers?”

1.70魔的所有兒子們帶著他們眾多的眷屬,合掌發誓說:「我們會去做。我們能做的就是展現我們的神力、力量、統治力、權威和奇蹟。如果我們能把釋迦族的兒子化成灰燼,那就好了。如果我們做不到,我們就要歸依他。父親啊,您自己也見證過,我們帶著龐大的軍隊,之前曾經被釋迦族的兒子單獨擊敗,他沒有同伴,只用他的神力。那麼,如果他被他的追隨者包圍,我們又怎麼能期望什麼呢?」

1.71Māra, the evil one, replied, “You should go anyway, my good sons! If you manage to kill that monk Gautama, come back again. If you can’t manage this, you should still return, as we will have to defend our abode.” {TK28}

1.71魔王惡者回答道:「你們還是去吧,我的好兒子們!如果你們能夠殺死那位比丘喬達摩,就回來報告。如果你們無法做到,也應該回來,因為我們還需要保衛我們的住所。」

1.72Then Māra’s twelve trillion attendants, {K17} in a formation stretching upward for more than three hundred and twenty leagues and spreading over an area of thousands of leagues, displayed the magical power and speed of Māra’s army. They filled the entire space over the four continents with thick black clouds and struck the king of mountains, Sumeru, with their hands, releasing black tornadoes and lightning bolts and making all the four continents shake violently. They uttered the most terrifying cries. Subsequently, the nāgas, great nāgas, yakṣas, and great yakṣas assembled in the sky when they witnessed that the entire great earth with its rocks, mountains, and mountain ranges‍—including even Sumeru, the king of mountains‍—was quaking, and that the lakes, great lakes, rivers great and small, and the great oceans were churning. The great assembly of Māra’s followers stood on top of Mount Sumeru, conjured up rain pellets one league in size, and released them onto the country of Aṅga-Magadha. They also conjured up and released a great rain of swords, clubs, stones, lances, javelins, razor blades, razors mounted on objects, razor-like objects, adzes mounted on objects, adze blades, and terrible wheels armed with teeth‍—a downpour of solid, hard, rough objects.

1.72此時,魔王的十二兆眷屬在一個向上延伸三百二十多由旬、覆蓋數千由旬面積的陣勢中,展現了魔軍的神力和速度。他們用濃厚的黑雲充滿了四洲上空,用手擊打山王須彌山,釋放出黑色的龍捲風和閃電,使四洲都劇烈搖動。他們發出最令人恐怖的叫聲。隨後,當龍、大龍、夜叉和大夜叉看到整個大地連同其岩石、山脈和山峰——包括山王須彌山——都在震動,湖泊、大湖、大小河流和大洋都在翻騰時,他們聚集在天空中。魔王的龍大眾聚集在須彌山頂,變化出一由旬大小的冰雹,將其投向央伽摩揭陀國。他們還變化出並釋放了一場由劍、棍棒、石頭、矛、標槍、剃刀、裝在物體上的剃刀、像剃刀一樣的物體、裝在物體上的斧頭、斧刃和帶有牙齒的可怕輪子組成的巨大劍雨——一場堅硬、粗糙物體的傾盆而下。

1.73At this time, the Blessed One entered the absorption grinding the hosts of Māra . Through [F.195.a] its blessing power the whole rain of stones and weapons {TK29} turned into a rain of celestial flowers, such as lotuses and water lilies in white, red, and blue varieties and flowers of the coral tree and the great coral tree. {K18} He also transformed through his blessing all the different yells and noises into melodious sounds, the sounds of the Buddha, the Dharma, the Saṅgha, the perfections, the superknowledges, the state of not turning back, consecration, victory over the four māras, going to the seat of awakening,… the state of clinging to existence, and the state without clinging. All the wind, darkness, and dust settled down. All the grasses, bushes, herbs, trees, soil, rocks, and mountains‍—whatever there were in the four continents‍—turned into the seven precious gems by the power of his blessing.

1.73此時,世尊進入摧魔軍三昧。藉由其加持力,整場石頭和武器的雨幕轉變成天花雨,如白色、紅色和藍色的蓮花、睡蓮,以及珊瑚樹和大珊瑚樹的花朵。他也通過加持力將各種不同的吼叫和噪音轉化為悅耳的聲音——佛陀的聲音、法的聲音、僧伽的聲音、波羅蜜的聲音、神通的聲音、不退轉的聲音、灌頂的聲音、戰勝四魔的聲音、前往菩提座的聲音……有取的聲音和無取的聲音。所有的風、黑暗和塵埃都平息了。四洲中所有的草、灌木、草本植物、樹木、土壤、岩石和山嶺——凡有的一切——都藉由其加持力轉變成七寶。

1.74The Blessed One, endowed with an uṣṇīṣa that is not fully visible, extended his control by means of his body as far as the realm of Brahmā . From each of the Blessed One’s major marks a light issued forth of such a kind that the world spheres of the great trichiliocosm became clearly and distinctly visible, illuminated by their great radiance. And whatever gods, nāgas, yakṣas, gandharvas, asuras, garuḍas, kinnaras, mahoragas, pretas, piśācas, kumbhāṇḍas, humans, nonhuman beings, animals, {TK30} and denizens of the hells and the realms of Yama there were in the great trichiliocosm, all were able to see the Blessed One. Many hundreds of thousands of gods, nāgas, yakṣas, and human and nonhuman beings arrayed in the sky threw flowers, circumambulated the Blessed One clockwise, praised him, and bowed to him. Many hundreds of thousands of millions of hell beings, [F.195.b] animals, and denizens of Yama’s realms attained recollection. Recollecting the roots of virtue planted in former lives, they chanted, “Homage to the Buddha!” {K19} Having died and transmigrated from the lower realms, they were reborn as gods.

1.74世尊的肉髻不完全顯現,卻以身體的力量將他的統治延伸到梵天界。從世尊身上的每一個大相中發出光芒,這光芒照耀得三千大千世界的所有世界都清晰明亮。在三千大千世界中,凡有天神、龍、夜叉、乾闥婆、阿修羅、迦樓羅、緊那羅、摩睺羅伽、餓鬼、毘舍遮、鳩槃荼、人類、非人之眾、畜生以及地獄眾生和閻魔天界的眾生,全都能夠看見世尊。數百千萬的天神、龍、夜叉以及人類和非人之眾排列在虛空中,灑下花雨,繞世尊右轉行禮,讚美他並向他叩拜。數百千萬的地獄眾生、畜生和閻魔天界的眾生獲得了憶念。他們憶起前世所種植的善根,誦念「敬禮佛陀!」經過死亡輪迴離開三惡道後,他們被重生為天神。

1.75Twenty-two hundred thousand of the soldiers of Māra, along with their numerous retinues, witnessed this display of miracles by the Blessed One and developed deep faith in his presence. They approached him accompanied by the five hundred daughters of Māra. Together they bowed their heads to the Blessed One’s feet and with folded hands uttered these stanzas for him:

1.75魔軍的二百二十萬士兵,連同他們眾多的眷屬,見證了世尊這樣的奇蹟顯現,在他面前生起了深深的信心。他們與魔的五百位女兒一起來到世尊面前。他們一起頂禮世尊的雙足,雙手合十,為世尊誦出這些偈頌:

“O you with a pure and supremely beautiful form,
「啊,具有清淨且至高無上美麗的身形的您,
You are an ocean of wisdom, you are like a golden Mount Sumeru!
你是智慧的海洋,你就像黃金般的須彌山!
Your shining fame spreads throughout the world.
您光輝的名聲傳遍了整個世界。
To you, our protector, we go for refuge. {1.34}
我們向您這位保護者歸依。{1.34}
“For those who have lost the way and whose eyes are closed,
對於那些迷失了方向、雙眼被蒙蔽的人,
You brightly shine your guiding light, like the sun in this world.
您如同這個世界的太陽,明亮地照耀著您的指引之光。
You are a unique kinsman, an unconquerable supporter of life.
您是獨特的親族,生命中不可征服的支持者。
To you, our leader, we go for refuge. {1.35} {TK31}
我們向您這位領導者歸依。
“You have auspiciously gathered the accumulations and are a treasury rich with wisdom.
你已經圓滿地積聚了福德與智慧的資糧,並且是一個智慧富足的寶庫。
Having the nature of space, your mind is originally free.
具有虛空的本質,你的心原本是自由的。
Your heart is filled with compassion, and your lovely speech captivates the mind.
你的心充滿了悲心,你美妙的言語迷人地攝受眾生的心。
To you, who accomplishes all purposes, we go for refuge. {1.36}
我們歸依於你,成就一切目的者。{1.36}
“You deliver beings from the wasteland of saṃsāra,
你將眾生從輪迴的荒蕪之地解救出來,
Showing them the causes and results of accumulated action. {K20}
向他們展示所積累業的因果。
Knowing the supreme method, you live the life of loving kindness.
您了知至高的方法,以慈心而生活。
To you, who lives the life of compassion, we go for refuge. {1.37}
對於您這位過著悲心生活的聖者,我們歸依於您。
“In this existence, illusory as the moon reflected in water,
「在這個存在中,虛幻如水中月影般,
With your senses unattached to objects,
你的感官不執著於物象,
You destroy, O protector of the world, the disease of ignorance.
您摧毀世間的病,即無明之疾,保護者啊。
To you, the king of physicians, we go for refuge. {1.38}
我們向你,醫王,歸依。
“You serve as a bridge, saving beings from the midst of the four rivers
你作為橋樑,拯救眾生脫離四河的困境。
By means of the seven spiritual treasures practiced by the noble ones.
通過阿羅漢所修習的七種靈性寶藏。
You show the right path, O kinsman of the world!
您為世間的親眷,指示正確的道路!
We worship you, the compassionate one in this world. {1.39}
我們禮敬你,這世間的悲心者。{1.39}
“As we were nasty to you, a being of superior intelligence,
「我們曾經對你這位具有殊勝智慧的眾生不敬,
We now ask your forgiveness.
我們現在請求您的原諒。
Receiving such insults like a hero, O protector,
像英雄一樣承受這樣的侮辱,啊保護者,
You are a unique kinsman, the best in the world. {1.40}
你是獨特的親族,是世界上最好的。{1.40}
“Having now repelled the faction of Māra, [F.196.a]
「既然現在已經驅除了魔的勢力,
We give rise to the supreme mind of awakening.
我們生起最高無上的菩提心。
We invite all beings, as we pledge {K21}
我們邀請一切眾生,如同我們的承諾
To attain supreme awakening for their sake. {1.41} {TK32}
為了替他們成就最高的菩提。
“Please teach us the noble conduct
「請為我們開示高尚的品行
Whereby we can practice the perfections,
藉此我們能夠修習波羅蜜,
Since beings attain awakening when endowed
由於眾生具備時能夠證得菩提
With qualities taught by none other. {1.42}
具有唯獨由此等所教示的特質。
“May the flowers that we cast forth remain, as parasols,
「願我們拋灑的花朵常駐,如同傘蓋一般,」
Above the heads of the best among the two-legged creatures
在兩足最勝眾生的頭頂之上
In the buddha fields in all directions,
在四面八方的佛剎中,
So that these fields may be sources of pleasure in all seasons.” {1.43}
使得這些佛國土在一切季節都成為歡樂的來源。

1.86All the sons and daughters of Māra, together with their numerous retinues, then sprinkled flowers over the Blessed One. Through the Blessed One’s magical power, however, the scattered flowers turned into many thousands of millions of billions of flower parasols, exceeding in number even the sand grains in the Gaṅgā. The flower parasols remained in midair above the crowns of the heads of all the living buddhas in the ten directions.

1.86魔的所有兒子和女兒,連同他們眾多的眷屬,隨後向世尊灑花。然而,通過世尊的神力,撒散的花朵變成了無數億萬的花傘,其數量甚至超過了恆河的沙粒。這些花傘懸浮在空中,位於十方所有生活的佛陀頭頂上方。

1.87The daughters of Māra with their retinues beheld {K22} these flower parasols positioned above the crowns of the heads of the living blessed buddhas, who were expounding the Dharma, surrounded by their followers, in innumerable and infinitely vast buddha fields in every direction. They were all sitting down, resplendent with light. They all had the same color, attributes, form , and appearance. {TK33} The only differences that the daughters could see were among the individual lion thrones of these blessed buddhas, their retinues, and the marvelous characteristics of their individual buddha fields. They also heard the stanzas recited by the blessed buddhas to the sound of lutes.

1.87魔的女兒們及其眷屬看到了這些花蓋,它們懸浮在十方無數無量廣大佛國土中那些活著的世尊佛陀們的頭頂上。這些佛陀們正在為其追隨者所環繞的眷屬講說法,全都坐著,光芒熾盛。他們都具有同樣的顏色、特徵、形象和相貌。魔的女兒們能看到的唯一區別,是在這些世尊佛陀各自的獅子座、他們的眷屬,以及他們各自佛國土的奇妙特性之間。她們也聽到了世尊佛陀們用琵琶聲音所誦唱的偈頌。

1.88And so this retinue of Māra, having seen such a miraculous display through the power of the Blessed One, developed strong faith. [F.196.b] They bowed their heads to his feet and sat down in front of him to listen to the Dharma.

1.88於是魔王的這個眷屬,看到世尊所展現的如此殊勝奇異的景象,生起了堅強的信心。他們向世尊的雙足頂禮,然後在世尊面前坐下,聆聽佛法。

1.89However, from among Māra’s sons, along with their retinues, ten trillion returned back to Māra’s abode and relayed to Māra, the evil one, this detailed account: “We weren’t able to harm even a single pore of the skin of that monk Gautama, let alone kill him. And furthermore, twenty thousand of your children have taken refuge with him and are now sitting in front of him to hear the Dharma.”

1.89然而,在魔的眾多兒子中,連同他們的眷屬,十萬億眾都回到了魔的住所,並向邪惡的魔詳細地陳述說:「我們甚至無法傷害那位比丘喬達摩的一根汗毛,更別說殺死他了。而且,你有兩萬個孩子已經歸依於他,正在他面前坐著聽聞法。」

1.90The evil Māra, enraged, unhappy, dejected, and even more sullen, lamented:

1.90邪惡的魔王,怒火中燒,不快樂,沮喪,並且更加陰沉,哀歎說:

“My good fortune has left me and will not return
「我的好運已經離我而去,不會再回來了
Until we bring ruin upon this son of the Śākyas. {K23}
直到我們摧毀這位釋迦族的兒子。
Silent we stand with this sole problem in our minds:
我們沉默地站著,心中只有這一個問題:
‘How can we kill the son of the Śākyas?’ ” {1.44}
「我們怎樣才能殺死釋迦族的兒子?」

1.91Then Māra, the evil one, sat down, sinking into despondency.

1.91那時魔王,這個邪惡的存在,坐了下來,陷入了絕望之中。

1.92Here ends the first chapter, “The Intimidation of Māra,” from the Mahāyāna sūtra [called] “ Ratnaketu .” {K24} {TK34} [B2]

1.92(結尾)