The Buddha’s Smile

佛陀的微笑

14.1Then the youth Candraprabha rose from his seat, removed his robe from one shoulder, and, kneeling on his right knee, [F.46.b] with palms placed together he bowed toward the Bhagavān and said to him, “Bhagavān, it is marvelous that the Bhagavān, the tathāgata, the arhat, the perfectly enlightened Buddha has taught the equality that is the nature of all phenomena, which is the samādhi that all bodhisattvas train in.

14.1隨後,青年月光從座位上起身,褪去一隻肩膀上的衣服,單膝跪地,雙掌合十,向薄伽梵禮拜,對他說道:「薄伽梵,您這位如來、阿羅漢、圓滿成就正等正覺的佛陀教示了一切現象本質中的平等性,這就是所有菩薩修習的三摩地,這實在是不可思議啊。」

14.2“Bhagavān, it was thus, in this training, that the Bhagavān trained for a long time, and accomplished the highest, complete enlightenment of perfect buddhahood. Bhagavān, that gives me confidence to speak. Sugata, it gives me confidence to speak.”

14.2「薄伽梵,正是因為薄伽梵在這樣的修行中訓練了很長時間,並證得了無上正等正覺的佛果。薄伽梵,這給了我說話的信心。善逝,這給了我說話的信心。」

14.3The Bhagavān said, “Young man, if you think the time has come, be confident to speak.”

14.3薄伽梵說:「年輕人,如果你認為時機已到,就請放心地說吧。」

Since the Bhagavān had granted the youth Candraprabha this opportunity, Candraprabha spoke the following verses of praise directly to the Bhagavān.

薄伽梵既然已經給予月光童子這個機會,月光童子便向薄伽梵說出以下讚歎的偈頌。

“You saw beings tormented by suffering,
「您看到生命被苦所折磨,」
Constantly overpowered by desire and anger,
時刻被欲望和瞋恨所征服,
And developed the aspiration to attain enlightenment:
並發起了成就菩提的願心:
‘May I become a buddha who liberates beings!’ {1}
「願我成為解救生命的佛陀!」
“Hero, for many millions of eons, constantly,
「英雄啊,在許多百萬個劫裡,不斷地,
You practiced generosity, self-restraint and self-control,
您修習了佈施、守護和自我控制,
Patience, correct conduct, and similarly diligence,
忍、正行,同樣精進,
And your acts of generosity were vast and infinite. {2}
你的佈施行為廣大無邊。
“Without ever any sadness in your mind
「心中從未有過任何悲傷
You gave away your legs, arms, and even your life,
你捨棄了你的雙腿、雙臂,甚至你的生命,
And similarly, without attachment you gave away
同樣地,你也毫無執著地佈施出去
Gold, silver, sons, wives, and your kingdom. {3}
黃金、白銀、兒子、妻子和你的王國。{3}
“Your conduct was stainless and pure.
「你的行是無瑕清淨的。
You made a gift of yourself without ruining your conduct.
你無執著地布施了你自己,卻沒有毀損你的行。
You controlled well your body, speech, and mind.
你很好地控制了自己的身、語、意。
Sugata who has a self-restrained mind, I pay homage to you. {4}
善逝,具有自我調伏的心,我向你禮敬。{4}
“Delighting in patience, residing on the path of patience,
「歡喜於忍,安住於忍的道路上,
Even though your body was cut into pieces you were not angered;
你的身體雖然被切成碎片,但你並沒有生起瞋恨。
Through your meditation on love, milk flowed from you.
通過你對愛的禪修,乳汁從你身上流出。
Marvelous Sugata, I pay homage to you. {5}
奇妙的善逝,我向你禮敬。
“You possess the strength of the ten strengths.
「你具足了十力的力量。
With wisdom free of attachment you know all phenomena. [F.47.a]
你以離執著的慧,了知一切現象。
With compassion, Lord of Dharma, you benefit the world.
以慈悲之心,法王利益世界。
Through your kindness you wish to benefit beings. {6}
透過你的仁慈,你想要利益生命。
“You know emptiness and that there are no such beings,
「你通達空性,也明白並不存在這樣的生命,
And likewise you see that the world’s beings have lost that path.
同樣地,你看到世界的生命已經迷失了那條道路。
You have realized that the nature of phenomena is selfless
你已證悟了法性是無我的。
And that though you bring beings to liberation, there is no such liberation. {7}
你雖然將眾生引向解脫,但卻沒有解脫。{7}
“With discrimination you reject all carelessness.
「以智慧你捨棄一切懈怠。」
You have conquered the infinite, powerful māras.
你已經克服了無窮無盡的強大魔。
Enlightened at buddhahood, you have vast, infinite wisdom.
成就佛果,你具有廣大無邊的慧。
You teach the supreme Dharma of completely pure peace. {8}
你教導了完全清淨寧靜的至高法。{8}
“The sky with its moon and the stars may fall,
「天空與月亮和星星可能會墮落,
The earth with its mountains and towns may be destroyed,
大地連同山岳和城鎮可能會被摧毀,
The element of space may change into something else,
虛空的元素可能會轉變成其他東西,
But you will never speak an untrue word. {9}
但你永遠不會說虛假的語言。{9}
“You have seen the suffering of beings
「你已經看到了生命的苦
Who take joy in the perception of objects.
貪著於對象知覺而獲得喜樂的人。
You teach the profound peace, emptiness,
你教導深刻的寧靜、空。
In which there is no perception of objects. {10}
其中沒有對境界的感受。{10}
“Great hero, you trained
「大英雄,你修習
For countless millions of eons
無數百萬劫
In the training of nonperception,
在無所見的修行中,
And so you are free of error. {11}
因此你已經沒有誤。{11}
“Just as you have trained in the Dharma,
「就像你已經修習過法一樣,
In that way you teach the Dharma.
你就這樣教導法。
Yours is not the level of foolish beings,
你的境界不是愚癡生命的境界,
And neither is it the level of all the tīrthikas. {12}
也不是所有外道的層次。{12}
“Those who have the conception of a self,
「那些具有自我概念的人,
They are unwise beings who are in error.
他們是陷入誤執的無智眾生。
You know that phenomena have no self,
你知道諸法無自性,
And so you are free of any error. {13}
因此,你就遠離了一切誤。{13}
“You speak the truth, great hero;
「你說的是真實的,偉大的英雄;
You are established in the true Dharma.
你住立在真正的法中。
Lord, you remain within truth, within veracity,
尊主,你住於真實、住於誠實,
And you speak words that are true. {14}
你說出的言語都是真實的。
“Your conduct has been true,
「你的行為是真實的,
Just as you have prayed for.
正如你所祈禱的那樣。
You have the consequence of that true conduct
你具有那真實行為的果報
And you speak words that are true. {15}
而你說出的言語是真實的。{15}
“You have perfected true conduct.
「你已圓滿了真實的行。
You have trained in the summit of truth.
你已經在真理的最高境界中修行。
You have truly practiced with a true motivation.
你已經以真實的動機真正地修行。
I pay homage to you who have true wisdom. {16}
我向具有真實慧的你頂禮。{16}
“There is no equal to your wisdom.
「沒有任何東西能與你的慧相比。」
Your words of wisdom illuminate.
你的慧語照亮一切。
You have attained unique wisdom.
您已獲得無二的慧。
I pay homage to you who speak words of wisdom. {17}
我向開示智慧之言的您致敬。{17}
“You have meditated on kindness
「你已經修習了慈心
And become a friend to all beings. [F.47.b]
而成為一切生命的朋友。
You are as unshakable as Sumeru.
你如蘇迷盧一般堅定不動。
You are completely stable and unwavering. {18}
你完全穩定堅定,毫不動搖。
“Teacher, your following is vast.
「師啊,你的眾生追隨者眾多。
You have attracted these followers.
你吸引了這些追隨者。
Sugata who has profound wisdom,
具有深遠慧智的善逝,
Make your voice resound within this assembly. {19}
在這個眾會中發出你的聲音。
“The voice of the Buddha is a lion’s roar.
「佛陀的聲音如獅子的咆哮。
You walk with the gait of a lion.
你以獅子的步伐行走。
You defeat all the tīrthikas
你戰勝了所有的外道。
Like a lion defeats jackals. {20}
如獅子戰勝豺狼。{20}
“Hero who subdues the unsubdued,
「能調伏未調伏者的英雄,
The unsubdued are subdued by you.
未被調伏的人被你調伏了。
They become friends who are reliable,
他們會成為可以信賴的朋友。
Inseparable, and pleasant to be with. {21}
不可分離,與其相處令人愉悅。{21}
“You see the beings who are suffering
「你看到那些在受苦的生命
Because they maintain the view of a self.
因為他們保持著自我的見解。
You teach the Dharma of no-self
你教導無自我的法
In which there is neither like nor dislike. {22}
在其中既沒有喜歡也沒有厭惡。{22}
“The foolish who are untrained
「那些沒有受過訓練的愚人
Take up the wrong paths.
走上了錯誤的道路。
You show them the path
你為他們指示道路
That the guides have followed. {23}
導師們所遵循的道路。{23}
“Whoever holds to the concept of a self,
「凡是執著於自我的概念,
They will remain in suffering.
他們將繼續陷入苦中。
They do not know selflessness,
他們不知道無我。
Within which there is no suffering. {24}
其中沒有苦。{24}
“You teach the Dharma with words that are without error.
「您用沒有誤的言語教導法。
Lord of the World, you make no error.
世界之主,你沒有誤。
You are one who speaks words that are never incorrect.
你是一位說出的言詞永遠不會有誤的人。
I pay homage to you, who bring freedom from suffering. {25}
我向您頂禮,您引領眾生遠離苦難。{25}
“In the sky there are many quintillions
「在天空中有無數的
Of devas, nāgas, and yakṣas.
天、龍和夜叉。
They all feel joy in the Guide
他們對導師都心生歡喜
When they hear the meaningful words of the Bhagavān. {26}
當他們聽聞薄伽梵有意義的言語時。{26}
“Your words are mild, gentle, and pleasing,
「你的話語溫和、柔和、令人歡喜,」
Timely, melodious, appropriate, and beloved.
適時的、悅耳的、恰當的、而且令人喜愛的。
You have the countless qualities of speech
您具有語言無數的優良品質
That benefit and bring liberation to many beings. {27}
為眾多生命帶來利益並獲得解脫。{27}
“Countless hundreds of thousands of musical instruments
無數百千樂器
Are all played melodiously and simultaneously,
都被同時和諧地演奏著,
But the Sugata with one word eclipses them all
但是善逝只用一句話就使它們黯然失色
With his unique, divine, beloved voice. {28}
用他獨特、殊勝、可愛的聲音。{28}
“Avadavats and flocks of birds with beautiful songs,
「鶴鳥和群鳥唱著悅耳動聽的歌聲,
With their beautiful songs that are pleasing to everyone‍—
用它們悅耳動人的歌聲令眾生歡喜——
All of the songs of these many flocks of birds
這許多鳥群的所有歌聲
Cannot equal a fraction of the Buddha’s speech. {29} [F.48.a]
無法相比於佛陀言語的百分之一。{29} [F.48.a]
“Deva maidens with beautiful voices
「天女擁有美妙的歌聲
And with melodious music and songs,
以及悅耳的樂聲和歌曲,
And the sound of lutes, paṭaha drums, bherī drums, and conches,
琵琶、鼓、鼓和海螺的聲音,
Cannot equal a fraction of the Buddha’s speech. {i}
不能等於佛陀言語的百分之一。
“The songs of cuckoos, parrots, and mynas,
「杜鵑、鸚鵡和八哥的歌聲,
Of cranes, peacocks, and kinnaras‍—
鶴、孔雀和緊那羅的聲音—
All these beautiful, melodious sounds
所有這些美妙、悅耳的聲音
Cannot equal a fraction of the Buddha’s speech. {30}
都不能等於佛陀言語的百分之一。{30}
“Delightful, melodious, beautiful, enjoyable,
「令人愉悅、音聲悅耳、美妙、令人歡喜,
Exquisite, peaceful voices singing praises‍—
優美、安詳的聲音唱著讚歎——
All such voices singing simultaneously
所有這些聲音一起唱誦
Are not as delightful as the Tathāgata’s perfect speech. {31}
都不如如來完美的言語令人喜悅。{31}
“The light from all luminous beings,
「來自一切光明生命的光輝,
From devas, humans, kings, and asuras,
從天神、人類、國王和阿修羅,
And from all beings in the three existences,
以及三界中所有生命的光芒,
Are eclipsed by one light ray from the Sugata. {32}
被善逝一道光芒所遮蔽。{32}
“The Sugata’s body is like a blossomed flower
善逝的身體如同盛開的花朵
With the various adornments of all the special signs.
具足各種殊勝相好的莊嚴裝飾。
A pure and clear accomplishment of hundreds of merits,
純淨明亮的百種福德的圓滿成就,
The body of the Jina shines on the entire world. {33}
勝者的身體照耀整個世界。{33}
“The sound of conches and of paṇavas,
「螺貝聲和鼓聲,
And the sound of bherī drums and kimpalas‍—
還有鼓和鐘的聲音——
All those beautiful and delightful sounds
所有這些美妙而悅耳的聲音
Cannot equal a hundredth of the Buddha’s voice. {34}
無法比得上佛陀音聲的百分之一。{34}
“The sounds of quintillions of musical instruments,
「無量樂器的聲音,
Clear and beautiful voices like those of the devas,
清淨而美妙的聲音,如同天神的聲音一樣,
And the delightful voices of male and female devas
以及男性和女性天神令人喜悅的聲音
Cannot equal a hundredth of the Buddha’s voice. {35}
都不能等於佛陀的聲音的百分之一。{35}
“Flocks of a multitude of birds‍—cranes, peacocks,
大群的眾多鳥類——鶴、孔雀、
Shelducks, cuckoos, geese, and snipe‍—
鸊鷉、杜鵑、鴈和沙錐—
May simultaneously sing their songs, but they
可以同時唱起牠們的歌聲,
Cannot equal a hundredth of the Buddha’s voice. {36}
無法等於佛陀聲音的百分之一。
“The voices of nāgas, yakṣas, asuras, mahoragas,
「龍、夜叉、阿修羅、摩睺羅伽的聲音,
Devendra, Brahmā, and the lords of the devas‍—
帝釋天、梵天和天神的諸位主宰—
All the lovely and beautiful voices in the three existences
三界中所有美妙動聽的聲音
Cannot equal a hundredth of the Buddha’s voice. {37}
不能等於佛陀音聲的百分之一。
“The light of Brahmā and lords of the devas, [117]
梵天和天神之主的光芒,[117]
The light of the sun and precious jewels,
太陽和七寶的光芒,
The many different kinds of light‍—
各種各樣的光—
All those lights are eclipsed by the brilliance of the Jina’s light. {38}
所有那些光芒都被勝者的光輝所遮蔽。
“Your body, speech, and mind are perfectly pure.
「你的身、語、心都圓滿清淨。
The purity of your wisdom is unstained by the three existences. [F.48.b]
你的慧的清淨不為三有所污染。
Lord of men, you have the wealth of qualities, precious qualities.
人中之主,你擁有眾多的品質,珍貴的品質。
Self-arisen one, through all your qualities, you are without equal.” {39}
自生者,以你的一切功德,你無與倫比。
In that way the youth spoke those words with great joy,
那時這位青年以大喜心說出了那些話語。
Praising the one with ten strengths, the speaker of truth.
讚頌具有十力的那位說真語者。
He said, “By offering to the measureless, unquantifiable Buddha
他說:「通過向無量、不可計量的佛陀供養」
May I also become a buddha like Śākyamuni!” {40}
願我也能成為像釋迦牟尼一樣的佛陀!
Knowing his perfect conduct, the Sugata,
善逝知道他的完美修行,
The Lord of humans, the one with wisdom free of attachment, smiled.
人中之主、慧力無執著者微笑了。
Maitreya, the senior son of the one with ten strengths, asked him,
彌勒菩薩,那位十力者的長子,向他提問。
“For what reason did the Guide smile? {41}
「導師為什麼微笑呢?{41}
“The earth has shaken in six ways.
「大地以六種方式震動。
The devas and nāgas in the sky are filled with joy.
空中的天神和龍充滿了喜悅。
They are gazing at the Buddha with great delight and happiness.
他們用極大的喜悅和快樂凝視著佛陀。
I pray to the unconquerable Sugata that you elucidate this to them. {42}
我向無敵的善逝禮敬,祈願你為他們闡明此義。{42}
“You have a supreme being’s wisdom,
「你具有至高生命的慧,
Which is not the level of the Bhagavān’s śrāvakas.
這不是薄伽梵的聲聞所達到的境界。
You who have pure wisdom beyond examples, wise one,
您具備超越一切比喻的清淨慧,智慧者。
Tell us the entire reason, Jina, why you smiled. {43}
勝者啊,請告訴我們,您微笑的全部原因是什麼。{43}
“You are the Śākya lion, possessor of the ten strengths, the Guide,
「你是釋迦獅子,具備十力,導師,
The chief of humans, the one who has reached the perfection of wisdom.
人中之尊,已證得般若波羅蜜多的聖者。
You have eliminated intractable desire, anger, and ignorance.
你已經消除了難以克服的欲、瞋恨和無明。
To you who shine with intense light, I ask this question: {44}
向您這位光芒熾盛的導師,我提出這個問題:{44}
“Seeking the supreme, highest enlightenment,
「追求至高無上的菩提,
You, the Guide, practiced for millions of eons
您這位導師,修行了數百萬劫
As numerous as the grains of sand in the Ganges.
如同恆河沙粒那樣眾多。
For what reason did you show a smile? {45}
你為什麼露出了微笑?{45}
“Seeking the supreme, highest enlightenment,
「追求至高無上的菩提,
You, the Teacher, gave away your arms and legs.
您,師父,捨棄了您的雙臂和雙腿。
You gave away sons, wives, companions, and relations.
你舍棄了兒子、妻子、同伴和親人。
Sage, for what reason did you show a smile? {46}
聖者,你為什麼露出了笑容?{46}
“You gave away horses, elephants, and chariots,
「你捨棄了馬、象和戰車,
Slaves, jewels, silver, and pearls.
奴僕、寶、銀與珍珠。
When you practiced the sublime conduct
當你修習崇高的行
There were no jewels or wealth that you did not give away. {47}
沒有任何寶物或財富是你沒有佈施過的。
“You have the supreme wisdom in the three existences.
「你在三界中具有無上智。
You know the conduct of all beings. [F.49.a]
你了知一切生命的行為。
You are skilled in knowing their natures, minds, and aspirations.
你善於了知他們的本性、心和願心。
For what reason did you smile? {48}
你為什麼而微笑?
“Who made the offering to you, best of men?
「誰向你供養呢,最殊勝的人?
For whom has vast merit been created?
為誰創造了廣大的福德?
Who has gained that excellent conduct?
誰成就了那殊勝的行?
Sage, for what reason did you smile? {49}
聖者,你為什麼微笑?{49}
“The earth has shaken in six ways.
「大地以六種方式震動。
Millions of lotuses have appeared on the ground.
大地上出現了數百萬朵蓮花。
They shine and have millions of excellent petals.
它們閃耀光芒,具有數百萬朵優美的花瓣。
They are the color of gold, beautiful and delightful. {50}
它們呈現黃金的顏色,美麗動人,令人喜悅。
“Present here are the heart sons of the Jina
「現前於此的是勝者的心子們
Who show the greatest bodhisattva miracles.
他們展示最偉大的菩薩神通。
Many dharmabhāṇakas have gathered here.
許多法師聚集在這裡。
Guide, I ask my question for their sake. {51}
導師,我為了他們的緣故提出我的問題。{51}
“The sound of bherī drums, conches, and gongs,
「鼓、螺貝和鑼的聲音,
Of quintillions of instruments has resounded.
無量樂器的聲音迴蕩而起。
That music was heard coming from the sky,
那樂聲從天空傳來被聽到。
But compared to that the Sugata’s speech is inconceivable. {52}
但是,和那相比,善逝的言語是不可思議的。{52}
“Many flocks of birds have gathered,
許多群鳥聚集在一起,
Cranes, geese, avadavats, and cuckoos.
鶴、鴈、紅嘴鳥和杜鵑。
They have sung their perfect, beautiful songs,
牠們唱出了完美、優美的歌聲,
But they do not equal a fraction of the Buddha’s speech. {53}
但牠們都不及佛陀說法的百分之一。{53}
“Who in the past with generosity, self-restraint, and self-control
「過去誰以佈施、守護和自我控制
Has served well for many millions of eons?
已經服侍了無數百萬劫?
Who has made offerings to you, supreme among men?
誰曾對你做過供養,人中之最?
For what reason did you smile? {54}
你為什麼微笑?{54}
“Who in the past, having shown you the greatest veneration,
"誰在過去曾經對你表示最高的尊敬,
Asked you, supreme among men, the question,
問您,人中之尊,這個問題,
‘How can I attain the enlightenment of buddhahood?’
「我怎樣才能證得佛果的菩提?」
For what reason did you smile? {55}
你為什麼微笑?{55}
“Those with the ten strengths in the past,
「過去具有十力的那些人,
The sugatas of the present and the future,
現在與未來的善逝,
And you, supreme among men, know all.
而你,人中之尊,知曉一切。
Therefore for the benefit of beings I ask this question. {56}
因此為了利益生命,我提出這個問題。{56}
“You know the thoughts in the minds of beings
「您知道一切生命心中的念想
And all beings’ infinite ways of conduct;
以及一切生命無盡的行方式;
You know the aspirations that humans have.
你知道人類所有的願心。
Therefore I ask this question to you, supreme among men. {57}
因此我向你提出這個問題,人中至尊。{57}
“Those who are practicing the supreme conduct,
「那些正在修習至高行的人們,
Who are adept in causes, reasons, and discipline,
誰善於因、理由和戒律的,
They ask, ‘How does one attain the Buddha’s wisdom?’
他們問道:「人要怎樣才能證得佛陀的慧?」
Therefore, supreme human, I ask this question. {58}
因此,至尊的人類,我提出這個問題。{58}
“There are those who meditate on the field of experience of those with the ten strengths:
「有些人在十力者的經驗領域上進行冥想:
The subtle Dharma that is difficult to perceive, [F.49.b]
難以感知的微妙法,
And emptiness and peace that is unequaled and inconceivable.
以及空和無等、不可思議的寂靜。
For their sake, Guide, I ask you this question. {59}
為了他們的緣故,導師,我問你這個問題。
“Those who meditate on love and compassion
那些修習愛與慈悲的人
For all the countless beings in the world,
為了世界上所有無數的生命,
Without their having the concept of beings‍—
沒有對生命的概念——
Supreme human, for their sake I ask this question. {60}
至高的人類,我為他們的緣故而提出這個問題。
“Those who have inconceivable, unequaled wisdom,
那些具有不可思議、無等慧的人,
They are never known to have any grasping.
他們從未顯現有任何取著。
They have reached the perfection of the mind’s field of activity.
他們已經達到了心的活動領域的波羅蜜。
Lord, it is for their sake that I ask this question. {61}
世尊,我是為了他們的緣故而提出這個問題。{61}
“You have reached the perfection of conduct and wisdom’s qualities.
「您已經達到了行和慧的波羅蜜的品質。
You have unequaled knowledge of the three times.
你具有三世無等的知識。
You will never make an error.
你永遠不會犯誤。
For what reason did you smile? {62}
你為什麼而笑呢?
“Śāriputra, Aniruddha, and Kolita,
「舍利弗、阿那律和迦旃延,
And the other śrāvakas of the Sugata,
以及善逝的其他聲聞,
Do not have that wisdom.
沒有那樣的慧。
It is the unsurpassable field of activity of the buddhas. {63}
這是諸佛陀無上的活動領域。
“You have reached the perfection of power over all phenomena.
「你已經達到了對一切現象的力量波羅蜜。」
You have ascended through the practice of the training.
你透過修習訓練已經達到了更高的境界。
Guide, you have developed compassion.
導師,你已經修養慈悲。
You who know the ultimate truth, release your voice! {64}
你們這些瞭解勝義諦的人,請發出你們的聲音吧!{64}
“You have had, in the past for many millions of eons,
你在過去無數百萬劫中,
The goal of being the ultimate refuge and protector,
成為究竟庇護和保護者的目標,
And have inquired, supreme human, with just that intention;
並且已經詢問,至尊的人類,只是帶著那個意圖;
Guide, tell us the result of that today. {65}
導師,請今日為我們說明那個結果。{65}
“Yakṣas, rākṣasas, kumbhāṇḍas, and guhyakas
「夜叉、羅剎、瓶神和隱神
Are gazing upon the supreme among humans.
正在注視著人中至尊。
They are all respectful, their palms together in homage,
他們都恭敬地合掌致敬,
In order to listen to the elucidation from the great being. {66}
為了聽聞那位大生命的詳細闡述。{66}
“Many bodhisattvas with miraculous powers
許多具有神變的菩薩
Have come from millions of buddha realms.
從數百萬個佛剎而來。
These senior sons, born form the minds of the sugatas,
這些長子,從善逝的心中誕生,
Are all respectfully present, their palms together in homage. {67}
都恭敬地在此聚集,雙掌合十表示敬禮。
“Gandhahasti with millions of bodhisattvas
香象菩薩與數百萬菩薩
Has come into your presence from the east,
從東方阿閦的世界來到你的面前,
From the famous world of Akṣobhya’s realm
從阿閦佛的著名世界界域中
For this question, Lion of the Śākyas, supreme human. {68}
為了這個問題,釋迦的獅子,至高無上的人類。{68}
“Avalokiteśvara and Mahā­sthāma­prāpta
「觀世音菩薩和大勢至菩薩
Have come before you with millions of bodhisattvas
與數百萬菩薩一同來到您的面前
From the supreme realm of Sukhāvatī [F.50.a]
從極樂世界的最高界
For this question, Lion of the Śākyas, supreme human. {69}
為了這個問題,釋迦獅子,至尊的人類。
“In the past for many millions of eons
「過去無數百萬劫以來
They have served countless sugatas
他們侍奉無數的善逝
As numerous as the sand grains in all the oceans,
如同所有大洋中沙粒那樣眾多,
Seeking this supreme sublime wisdom. {70}
追求這至高無上的殊勝慧。
“Mañjughoṣa is present, his palms together in homage.
文殊師利菩薩現前,合掌恭敬。
He has been praised and extolled by all the buddhas.
他已經被所有的佛陀讚歎和稱讚。
He has reached the perfection of all good qualities
他已圓滿一切善法波羅蜜。
And is renowned throughout the worlds in all directions. {71}
並且在四面八方的所有世界中都享有盛名。
“They have practiced in millions of buddha realms.
他們曾在數百萬個佛剎中修行。
It is very rare to see such beings.
能夠看到這樣的生命是非常罕見的。
They have the qualities of sons of the buddhas and excellent training,
他們具有佛陀之子的品質和卓越的修行。
And are all present, with their palms together respectfully in homage. {72}
都已來臨,雙掌合十恭敬地向佛陀致禮。{72}
“There is no one here other than worthy recipients.
"這裡沒有人不是值得接受的對象。
That is what these wise ones are like,
這就是這些智者的樣子,
The holders of the Dharma treasures of all teachers.
所有師的法寶持有者。
Guide, release your gentle speech. {73}
導師,請發出溫柔的言語。{73}
“The jinas, the guides, the supreme humans
勝者、導師、至高的人們
Have never been seen to smile without a reason.
從未曾見過勝者無故而笑。
Grant us your supreme speech, which is like the beat of a drum.
請賜予我們您至高無上的言語,如同鼓聲般有力。
What is the reason that we saw you smile? {74}
我們看到你微笑的原因是什麼?{74}
“The supreme beings resound like thunder,
「至尊的生命如同雷鳴一般迴盪,
Geese, cuckoos, peacocks, and swans,
鴈、杜鵑、孔雀和天鵝,
And they emit the melodious music of the devas.
他們發出天神美妙的樂聲。
Liberator of beings, elucidate with your words. {75}
生命的解脫者,請用你的言語詳細闡述。{75}
“You develop kindness, you increase joy,
你培養慈悲,你增長快樂,
You teach wisdom, you eliminate ignorance,
您教導慧,您消除無明,
You realize the meaning, you expand wisdom,
你領悟了意義,你擴展了慧。
And you have purified for quintillions of eons. {76}
你已經清淨了無數劫。{76}
“You have realized the nature of things with certainty,
「你已確實認識了諸法的本性,
You have taught the meaning in words that end suffering.
你用能夠終止苦的言語教導了該義理。
You have routed the teachings of all tīrthikas.
你已經摧毀了所有外道的教法。
You meditate on emptiness, the absence of being, and the absence of a soul. {77}
你修習空、無生命、無靈魂的禪定。{77}
“You are adorned by thousands of merits.
「你被數千種福德所莊嚴。
You have practiced with hundreds of thousands of buddhas,
你已經跟隨了數百萬位佛陀進行修習。
Are praised by hundreds of thousands of devas,
受到成千上萬的天神讚歎,
And hundreds of thousands of Brahmās pay homage to you. {78}
數百萬的梵天向你禮敬。
“Yakṣas, rākṣasas, and kumbhāṇḍas have faith in you. [F.50.b]
「夜叉、羅剎和瓶神都對你有信心。
You have liberated nāgas, mahoragas, and garuḍas.
你已經解脫了龍、摩睺羅伽和迦樓羅。
You are constantly without any attachment.
你恆常沒有任何執著。
Speak the words that are the result of good actions. {79}
說出那些來自善業果報的言語。
“All the jinas that have passed into nirvāṇa,
「一切已經進入涅槃的勝者,
Those who will live in the future, and those now present,
那些將來會存在的人,以及現在已經存在的人,
You know them all without impediment.
你無礙地了知他們一切。
Guide, you are sublime because of all your qualities. {80}
導師,您因為所有的品質而崇高。{80}
“This earth that supports beings, with its mountains
「支持生命的這個大地,擁有它的山脈
And oceans, has been shaken in six ways.
和大洋,已經六種方式搖動。
The devas have thrown down flowers from the sky.
天神從天空撒下花朵。
There has arisen the beautiful aroma of the incense of the devas. {81}
天神的香氣已經升起,散發出美妙的芬芳。{81}
“Desire, anger, and darkness of the mind have been completely eliminated.
「欲、瞋恨和心的黑暗已經完全消除。
Conduct has become completely pure and the mind has become completely pure.
行為已完全清淨,心已完全清淨。
There is delight in complete peace, emptiness, and the absence of attributes.
完全的寂靜、空和無相中,有著歡喜。
There is the sound of the lion’s roar, the sound of the compassionate ones. {82}
獅子吼聲響起,慈悲者的聲音。{82}
“You have the confidence of speech, and great renown.
「你具足言語的信心,並且聲名遠揚。
You have perfected wisdom, the wisdom of the jinas.
你已經圓滿成就了慧,勝者的慧。
Compassionate one, there is no one like you in this world.
慈悲的聖者,在這個世界上沒有人像你一樣。
Tell us, for what reason did you smile? {83}
請告訴我們,你為什麼微笑?{83}
“The songs of peacocks, cuckoos, and avadavats,
「孔雀、杜鵑和紅梅鳥的歌聲,
And likewise the beautiful song of the partridge,
同樣地,鷓鴣美妙的歌聲,
All those pleasant sounds simultaneously
所有這些令人愉悅的聲音同時響起
Do not equal a fraction of the Sugata’s speech. {84}
都比不上善逝的言語的一分。{84}
“Bherī drums, mṛdaṅgas, and similarly paṇavas;
「鼓、鼓,以及類似的鼓;
Conches, flutes, and similarly lutes:
螺殼、長笛,以及琵琶等樂器:
The simultaneous sound of a thousand instruments
千種樂器同時發出的聲音
Does not equal a fraction of the Sugata’s speech. {85}
不如善逝言語的一分。{85}
“The divine, sublime sound of thousands of instruments
數千種樂器的神聖殊勝之聲
And the beautiful songs of deva maidens,
以及天女美妙的歌聲,
The excellent songs that bring delightful sounds to the mind,
那美妙的歌聲為心帶來了令人喜悅的音聲,
Do not equal a fraction of the Sugata’s speech. {86}
不等於善逝言語的一分。{86}
“With one sound you benefit the world
「以一種聲音利益世界
As it resounds to those with different aspirations,
由於它在具有不同願心的人中迴盪。
Each person thinking, ‘The Jina is speaking to me.’
每個人都在想著:「勝者是在對我說話。」
For what reason did you smile? {87}
你為什麼要微笑?{87}
“The music of the devas and the music of the nāgas,
「天神的樂聲和龍的樂聲,
And also the melodious music of the kinnaras,
以及緊那羅動聽的樂聲,
Are never able to pacify the kleśas.
都無法使煩惱得以平息。
The Buddha’s speech always dispels the kleśas. {88}
佛陀的言語總是能夠遣除煩惱。{88}
“You create joy but not joy in desire.
你生起快樂,但不是對欲的快樂。
You create love and not a mind of anger.
你能生起愛,而不生起瞋恨之心。
You create wisdom and not a mind of stupidity. [F.51.a]
你產生慧,而不是愚癡的心。
The Buddha’s speech eliminates all stains. {89}
佛陀的言語清除一切污垢。{89}
“The sound of your voice does not go beyond your followers.
「你的聲音不會超越你的追隨者。
It cuts through everyone’s hundreds of doubts.
它切斷了每個人心中的百般疑惑。
It is never too quiet nor too loud.
聲音既不會太微弱,也不會太響亮。
The Sage’s voice teaches everyone equally and easily. {90}
聖者的聲音平等輕易地教導所有人。
“This earth with its mountains and forests may perish,
「願這個大地連同它的山脈和林木一起消亡,
And so may the waters of the ocean.
海水也會乾涸。
The moon and the sun may fall to the earth,
月亮和太陽可能會墜落到大地上,
But the Jina’s speech will never change. {91}
但勝者的言語永遠不會改變。
“Your voice has all the qualities of pure speech.
「你的音聲具有清淨言語的所有特質。
Your beautiful voice is a gentle lion’s roar.
你美妙的聲音如同溫和的獅子吼聲。
Compassionate one, you have the voice of Brahmā.
慈悲的聖者啊,你具有梵天的聲音。
For what reason did you smile? {92}
你為什麼而微笑?{92}
“You know the minds and conduct
"你了知一切生命的心與行
Of all the beings in the world,
世界中的一切生命,
Those in the past, the future, and the present.
過去、未來和現在的眾生。
Tell us the reason why you smiled. {93}
請告訴我們你微笑的原因。
“All of the jinas, the compassionate ones,
「所有的勝者,那些富有慈悲的聖者們,
They who have reached the perfection of power and wisdom,
他們已經圓滿成就了力量與慧的波羅蜜,
The jinas whose faces are like stainless moons,
面容如無垢月輪的勝者們,
Have never smiled without a reason. {94}
從未無故而笑。{94}
“If for millions of eons one were to describe your unequaled qualities,
「若有人用百萬劫的時間來讚述你無等的功德,
Which are as numerous as the sands of the Ganges,
其數量如恆河沙粒一般無數。
One would not be able to describe them fully.
一個人仍然無法完全描述它們。
Teach us the reason why you smiled.” {95}
請教我們您微笑的原因。

14.100Conclusion of the fourteenth chapter, “The Buddha’s Smile.”

14.100(結尾)