The Perfect Teaching on the Exalted Intention

無上正等覺意的完滿教導

7.1The Blessed One then said to the venerable Śāradvatī­putra, “Śāradvatī­putra, there are three things that bodhisattvas should do, in terms of which to consider correctly everything there is to do and not to do. What are these three things? Śāradvatī­putra, they are as follows.

7.1世尊接著對尊者舍利弗說:"舍利弗,菩薩應該做三件事,以此來正確地思考所有應該做和不應該做的事情。這三件事是什麼呢?舍利弗,它們如下所述。"

7.2“Because of the very things not to be done, the first thing to do is to pursue the sublime Dharma fully. Śāradvatī­putra, bodhisattvas should furthermore pursue the teachings of the buddhas without measuring them, so that even when they hear the profound teachings of the buddhas, they will be unafraid, enthusiastically try to penetrate to their depths, and not abandon them.

7.2「舍利弗,正是因為有不應該做的事,所以第一件應該做的事就是要完整地追求崇高的法。舍利弗,菩薩們應該進一步追求諸佛的教導,不去衡量它們,這樣即使他們聽到諸佛深奧的教導,也不會感到害怕,而是要熱情地努力深入理解,並且不要放棄它們。」

7.3“Śāradvatī­putra, the second thing they should do is not to go back on their perfect exalted intention, which increases the more they hear the profound Dharma. This they should regard as being the perfect exalted intention of bodhisattvas.

7.3「舍利弗,第二件事是不要退失他們的無上正等覺意,這種正等覺意會隨著他們聽聞深奧的法而不斷增長。他們應該把這視為菩薩的完滿無上正等覺意。」

7.4“Śāradvatī­putra, the third thing they should do is not to cower, be discouraged, or turn away when hearing a bodhisattva great being tell someone who has approached them, ‘A bodhisattva who has engendered the attitude set on unexcelled and perfect awakening must abandon all possessions. [F.139.b] There is nothing that the bodhisattva does not give away.’ This too they should regard as the perfect exalted intention of bodhisattvas.

7.4舍利弗,他們應當做的第三件事是,當聽到菩薩大士對前來尋求幫助的人說:「發起無上正等覺心願的菩薩必須捨棄一切所有物。菩薩沒有不施捨的東西。」時,不要退縮、不要氣餒、不要迴避。這也應當被視為菩薩們完美的高尚志願。

7.5“Moreover, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose someone approaches a bodhisattva and says, ‘A bodhisattva who has engendered the attitude set on unexcelled and perfect awakening should provide comfort to all beings. Thus, since I, suffering in this way, am severely suffering, then you should first provide comfort to me, and then later provide comfort to all other beings.’ Hearing such a demand, bodhisattvas should be able to ensure that person’s happiness without being discouraged. However, if they fail and become discouraged and dejected, thinking, ‘If I cannot even provide comfort to this being, what use is it for me to do so for all beings,’ then such discouragement should be regarded as not being an exalted motivation.

7.5「舍利弗,再者,假使有人來到菩薩面前說:『發起無上正等覺之心的菩薩應該為一切眾生提供安樂。因此,既然我以這樣的方式在受苦,正在極度痛苦中,那麼你應該先為我提供安樂,然後才為所有其他眾生提供安樂。』菩薩聽到這樣的要求,應該能夠確保那個人的幸福,而不感到沮喪。然而,如果他們失敗了,變得沮喪和灰心,心想:『如果我連這個眾生的安樂都無法提供,那麼我為一切眾生提供安樂有什麼用呢?』那麼這樣的沮喪就應該被視為不是一個高尚的動機。」

7.6“If, Śāradvatī­putra, while providing comfort to such beings, bodhisattvas are criticized and reviled, and berated with evil, harsh words, unsuitable for polite society, those bodhisattvas should not be angry, or have ill will toward them, but engender feelings of love and compassion for them. Bodhisattvas should provide for their happiness, so that they do not suffer. Śāradvatī­putra, such an exalted intention of bodhisattvas should be known as unexcelled and perfect awakening.

7.6「舍利弗,菩薩在為這些有情提供安樂的時候,如果被批評、辱罵,遭到不適合在文明社會中聽聞的邪惡粗暴言語的譴責,這些菩薩不應該感到憤怒或對他們懷有惡意,而應該對他們生起愛和慈悲的感受。菩薩應該為他們的幸福而努力,使他們不致遭受苦難。舍利弗,菩薩這樣的殊勝意樂應該被認識為無上正等覺。」

7.7“Bodhisattvas who arouse a gentle and peaceful mind [F.140.a] and the intention to comfort others will see to the cutting of immeasurable saṃsāra into pieces. They will see to providing comfort to immeasurable beings. They will see to the ripening of their own buddha qualities. Each time they give rise to the mind of awakening, they will see to the accomplishment of immeasurable buddha qualities. In that way, bodhisattvas should be regarded as possessing an exalted intention and being skilled in methods.

7.7「菩薩激發溫和寧靜的意念及安慰他人的意圖,將看到無量輪迴被切割成碎片。他們將看到為無量眾生提供安慰。他們將看到自己佛功德的成熟。每次他們生起菩提心時,將看到無量佛功德的成就。如此,菩薩應被視為具備崇高的意圖並善於方法。」

7.8“Suppose that bodhisattva great beings are criticized and reviled, and berated with evil, harsh words, unsuitable for polite society, by the being on whose behalf those bodhisattvas have provided comfort. In such a case, bodhisattvas who do not neglect or diminish their altruistic intention will exercise patience, thinking, ‘This being is teaching me buddha qualities. So if I were to have any ill will whatsoever toward him, I would be impeded from awakening by precisely that much.’ Such thinking should be regarded as the bodhisattvas’ exalted intention that is skilled in the methods toward unexcelled and perfect awakening.

7.8「假如菩薩大士為某個眾生提供利益,而那個眾生卻以惡毒、粗暴的言辭來批評和辱罵他們,說出種種不堪入耳的話語。在這種情況下,菩薩如果不放棄、不減弱自己的菩提心,應當修習忍辱,心想:『這個眾生正在教導我證得佛功德。如果我對他心生任何惡念,我就會因此而受到阻礙,無法達成菩提。』這樣的想法應當被認為是菩薩具有高尚的意願,善於運用各種方法趨向無上正等正覺。」

7.9“Moreover, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose someone approaches a bodhisattva and says, ‘Unexcelled and perfect awakening is difficult to attain‍—you will not be able to awaken to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood; you will not be able to accomplish the buddha qualities.’ If bodhisattvas, upon hearing that, let go of the ideas they had, this should be regarded as not being the exalted intention. And if in such a case they imagine that the buddha qualities, which are so difficult to attain, are easy to attain, that should also be regarded as not being the exalted intention.

7.9"而且,舍利弗,假設有人來到菩薩面前說:'無上正等覺很難成就——你將無法證得無上正等正覺;你將無法成就佛功德。'如果菩薩們聽到這樣的話,就放棄了他們原有的想法,這就不應被視為是殊勝的菩提心。而且,在這種情況下,如果他們想像那些極其難以成就的佛功德是容易成就的,這也不應被視為是殊勝的菩提心。"

7.10“Moreover, Śāradvatī­putra, [F.140.b] suppose someone approaches a bodhisattva and says, ‘Noble son, if one who gives rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening has no control over even their own body and life force, then there is no need to speak of them having control over their possessions. Alas, noble son, since it is impossible for you to have control over your body and life force, give up this attitude!’

7.10「而且,舍利弗,假設有人來到菩薩跟前說:『善男子,如果生起菩提心的人甚至對自己的身體和命都沒有控制,就更不用說對他們的財物有控制了。唉呀,善男子,既然你不可能對自己的身體和命有控制,就放棄這種態度吧!』

7.11“Bodhisattvas might then think, ‘No one has control over the body and life force, and because they do not have control over them, everyone strives to protect them. While striving to protect them, their bodies perish and cease to be, and their life forces too come to an end. That being the case, there is no question that mine will too.’ Such thinking should be regarded as not being endowed with the exalted intention, and not being skilled in methods.

7.11「菩薩可能會這樣想:『沒有人能控制身體和命,正因為他們無法控制身體和命,所以人人都努力去保護它們。在努力保護身體和命的過程中,身體會敗壞並最終消亡,命也會終結。既然如此,我的身體和命當然也不會例外。』這樣的想法應被視為不具備崇高的菩提心,也不具備善巧的方便。」

7.12“Śāradvatī­putra, bodhisattvas might also think, ‘Everyone strives to protect their body and life force, but they have no control over them. The bodies over which they have no control will perish and cease to be. Then they will be oppressed by the torments of birth, aging, sickness, death, and the like, for by striving to protect their bodies, they will have formed many different kinds of karma. So even as they try to protect their bodies and life force, they still migrate to another body and another life force. Should I have regard for my body and life force and try to protect them, then by so doing I will commit evil deeds and come to experience suffering in saṃsāra, with its five destinies. [F.141.a] Alas, I will thus give up all concern for my body and life force! I will not protect them! I will also abandon my body and life force! I will act for the wisdom of awakening, and not for my body and life force! I will act striving to liberate all beings! I will rid myself of craving for body and life force! I will take up craving for all the blessed buddhas! I will aspire for the unborn! I will not be weary in teaching the Dharma! I will teach the Dharma that is unbounded and unreleased!’

7.12「舍利弗,菩薩也可能這樣思考:『每個人都努力保護自己的身體和命,但他們對身體和命無法控制。他們無法控制的身體會衰敗消亡。之後他們將被生、老、病、死等痛苦所折磨,因為通過努力保護身體,他們會造作許多不同種類的業。所以即使他們試圖保護身體和命,他們仍然會輪迴到另一個身體和另一個命。如果我也關切自己的身體和命並努力保護它們,那麼這樣做我就會造作惡業,在輪迴中經歷苦難,有五種道路。唉呀,我將完全放棄對身體和命的執著!我不保護它們!我也將放棄身體和命!我為了覺悟的智慧而行動,而不是為了我的身體和命!我努力解救所有眾生而行動!我將去除對身體和命的渴愛!我將取起對所有善逝佛陀的渴愛!我將祈願無生!我將不厭倦地宣講法!我將宣講無邊無際、不受限制的法!』」

7.13“Bodhisattvas may also consider this as follows: ‘I will tell that person this: “Listen, the very absence of control over body and life force is itself the supreme effort. It is itself the supreme armor. That is because all phenomena are indeed without intrinsic nature. All phenomena are indeed without foundation.” ’ Those who say such things should be regarded as possessing the exalted intention.

7.13「菩薩們也可以這樣思考:『我會這樣告訴那個人:「請聽著,正是因為對身體和生命無法控制,本身就是最高的努力。它本身就是最高的護甲。這是因為一切法確實沒有自性。一切法確實沒有基礎。」』那些說出這樣話語的人,應該被認為是具有殊勝的意願的。」

7.14“Moreover, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose a person were to approach a bodhisattva and say, ‘One who gives rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening must act as a student of all beings, so henceforth you must act as my student.’

7.14「而且,舍利弗,假如有人走近一位菩薩,並且說:『那些發起無上正等覺心意的人,必須充當所有眾生的學生,所以從今以後你必須充當我的學生。』」

7.15“Bodhisattvas might then reply, ‘Listen, I am not just your student, I am the student of all beings. That is because I have taken on the burden of beings. That burden includes the burden of health, the burden of not being fatigued, the burden of happiness, the burden of gaining importance, the burden of the thus-gone ones’ teaching, the burden of listening to the sublime Dharma, the burden of accomplishing the Dharma received, and the burden of becoming liberated. [F.141.b] Such being the burdens, they fatigue neither body nor mind. Originating neither with oneself nor others, they bring pain to neither oneself nor others. That being the case, when you tell me to become the student of yourself alone, I will ask you what you need. If you say that you need my body and life force, then I will grant you my body and life force. But I will not abandon you. You should not give rise to the idea that phenomena, which are without owner and lord, have a lord! Once you have given rise to the idea of a lord, and then commit negative deeds based on that, you will be propelled by negative actions toward unfortunate destinies. In those unfortunate destinies you will be miserable, performing negative actions. If you do not agree, then just do as you please!’

7.15「菩薩可能會這樣回答:『聽著,我不只是你一個人的學生,我是一切眾生的學生。這是因為我已經承擔了眾生的負擔。這些負擔包括健康的負擔、不疲倦的負擔、快樂的負擔、獲得重要性的負擔、如來教法的負擔、聽聞殊勝法的負擔、成就所受法的負擔,以及獲得解脫的負擔。既然是這樣的負擔,它們既不使身體疲倦,也不使意識疲倦。這些負擔既不源自自己,也不源自他人,既不給自己帶來痛苦,也不給他人帶來痛苦。既然如此,當你要求我只做你一個人的學生時,我會問你需要什麼。如果你說需要我的身體和命,我就把我的身體和命給你。但我不會舍棄你。你不應該產生這樣的念頭,即沒有所有者和主人的法有一個主人!一旦你產生了有主人的念頭,然後基於這個念頭造作負業,你就會被負業推動而趨往不善的道。在那些不善的道中,你會很痛苦,造作負業。如果你不同意,那就隨便吧!』」

7.16“Śāradvatī­putra, if bodhisattvas observe such disregard for body and life force, then, Śāradvatī­putra, their exalted intention should be regarded as unexcelled and perfect awakening, for it approaches unexcelled and perfect awakening, sustains their unexcelled and perfect awakening, keeps saṃsāra at a distance, approaches omniscient wisdom, ripens beings, purifies buddha realms, and cultivates their roots of virtue.

7.16舍利弗,菩薩若是如此捨棄身命,舍利弗,他們的高尚志向應當被視為無上正等覺,因為它趨近無上正等覺、維持無上正等覺、遠離輪迴、趨近一切智、成熟眾生、淨化佛剎,並培養他們的善根。

7.17“As a simile, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose a jeweler finely polishes a priceless, precious gem, so that it becomes correspondingly dazzling and pristine. Thinking that the king will grant him a gift for this, the jeweler might then set his eyes on his perfect possession. [F.142.a] He might then also receive a fine reception from the king or from other experts and show them the precious gem’s qualities. The king, prince, ministers, and experts will then be elated upon seeing the precious gem, delighting in its qualities. Likewise, Śāradvatī­putra, as much as bodhisattva great beings remain in the discernment of equanimity, to that degree they cultivate the wisdom of awakening, their own roots of virtue. They too will be able to grant gifts and encounter the blessed buddhas. The blessed buddhas will instruct them and they will cause all beings to progress.

7.17「舍利弗,比如說,有一位珠寶商人,精心打磨一顆無價的珍寶,使它變得相應地閃耀耀眼、清淨無瑕。珠寶商人心想,國王會因此賞賜他禮物,於是他的目光就落在了他完美的財寶上。他也許還會從國王或其他專家那裡得到熱烈的款待,向他們展示這顆珍寶的特質。國王、王子、大臣和專家們看到這顆珍寶後都欣喜若狂,為其特質而欣悅。舍利弗,同樣地,菩薩大士們在安住於捨的慧心中的程度如何,他們就在那個程度上修習覺悟的智慧、培養自己的善根。他們也將能夠布施供養,遇見受讚歎的佛陀。受讚歎的佛陀將教導他們,他們也將使一切眾生得以進步。」

7.18“As another simile, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose that someone were to grow a medicinal tree. The medicinal tree would develop precisely to the extent that the person digs out a hole for it and waters the tree at the proper times, and protects it from the threats of deer, birds, and wind. Once it has fully grown, it would then be able to prevent and cure the illnesses of immeasurable, countless beings, and enable healthy beings to progress. Likewise, Śāradvatī­putra, bodhisattvas develop buddha qualities precisely to the extent to which they give rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening; develop roots of virtue; pursue knowledge of the Dharma; strive in pursing the Dharma; and likewise, protect against the workings of Māra and the afflictions. [F.142.b] Once they have fully developed such qualities, they vanquish the illnesses of immeasurable, countless beings and apply the salve of wisdom; and once they have fully awakened to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood, they enable beings with and without afflictions, including the worlds of gods, humans, and demigods, to progress.

7.18舍利弗,比如說有人種植一棵藥樹。這棵藥樹的生長完全取決於那個人為它挖掘樹洞、在適當的時間澆水,並保護它不受鹿、鳥和風的威脅。一旦它充分成長,就能夠防治無量無數眾生的疾病,並使健康的眾生得以進步。同樣地,舍利弗,菩薩發起無上正等覺的心意、培育善根、追求法的知識、精進於法的修習,並且同樣地防護魔的作用和煩惱。一旦他們充分發展這些佛功德,就能夠克服無量無數眾生的疾病並施以智慧的藥膏;一旦他們圓滿覺悟無上正等正覺,就能夠使包括天神、人和阿修羅的世界中有煩惱和無煩惱的眾生得以進步。

7.19“Moreover, Śāradvatī­putra, suppose someone were to approach a bodhisattva great being and say, ‘One who has given rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening will be born in the hells. This is because, noble son, bodhisattvas will be reborn in the hells innumerably many times, precisely to the extent that there are beings there to liberate. They alone will need to experience the suffering of all those beings. Accordingly, I must experience my own suffering alone, whereas you alone must experience the suffering of giving rise to the mind set on omniscient wisdom, for you will experience suffering if you are to liberate all beings. If you give it up, then you will be able to fully awaken to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood.’

7.19「而且,舍利弗,假如有人走近一位菩薩大士,並這樣說:『發起無上正等覺之心的人將會被生在地獄。這是因為,善男子,菩薩將會無數次地被重生在地獄中,正好對應那裡需要被解救的眾生數量。他們單獨需要體驗所有那些眾生的苦難。因此,我必須獨自經歷我自己的苦難,而你單獨必須經歷因發起一切智之心而來的苦難,因為如果你要解救所有眾生,你將會經歷苦難。如果你放棄它,那麼你就能夠完全覺悟到無上正等正覺。』

7.20“If bodhisattvas, upon hearing these discouraging words, embrace them and become discouraged, thinking, in a state of fear and anxiety, that this is something they cannot do, that should be regarded as not being the exalted intention. Instead, bodhisattvas should have the following attitude: ‘If, through being born in the hells, I were to ripen the beings there and lead them toward unexcelled and perfect awakening and freedom from the fears of the hells, [F.143.a] then for the sake of each being I would gladly accept birth in the hells for immeasurable, countless eons! That is because, as a thus-gone one having fully awakened to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood, and possessing, accordingly, the wisdom, strength, and fearlessness of a buddha, I would instruct beings to destroy their desire, anger, and delusion, and thus bring an end to the succession of countless heaps of afflictions, and bring an end to the beginningless succession of the myriad of beings, protect them for immeasurable eons, and enable beings to attain the happiness that is itself free of desire‍—in light of such a sequence of events, I would delight in dwelling in the hells for immeasurable, countless eons.’ If bodhisattvas are not discouraged by such a prospect, do not retreat from it, and do not have a negative idea about it, then, Śāradvatī­putra, those bodhisattvas should be understood to be free of laziness and in possession of the exalted intention. Śāradvatī­putra, would you like to hear about the bodhisattvas’ exalted intention in greater detail?”

7.20「若菩薩聞此勸阻之言,心生退縮,懷著恐懼與焦慮,以為自己無法做到,這樣就不是殊勝的意樂。反之,菩薩應當這樣想:『如果我通過生在地獄中,能夠成熟那裡的眾生,引導他們趣向無上正等覺,使他們遠離地獄的恐懼,[F.143.a] 那麼為了每一個眾生,我樂願在無量無數劫中接受生在地獄!這是因為,作為一位已經證得無上正等正覺的如來,並且相應地具備了佛陀的智慧、力量與無畏,我將教導眾生摧毀他們的貪、瞋、癡,因此終止無數煩惱堆積的相續,終止無始以來無量眾生的相續,保護他們經歷無量劫,使眾生成就本身遠離貪欲的樂——基於這樣一系列的事件,我將歡喜地住於地獄中無量無數劫。』如果菩薩對此前景並不退縮,不從中退卻,也不對此持負面看法,那麼舍利弗,這樣的菩薩應當被理解為已經遠離懈怠,具有殊勝的意樂。舍利弗,你想更詳細地聽聞菩薩的殊勝意樂嗎?」

7.21“Indeed, Blessed One, I would. Blessed One, please tell me right away. Well-Gone One, please elaborate right away. Blessed One, please elaborate on the exalted intention of bodhisattvas, which allows bodhisattvas to fully awaken to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood.” [F.143.b]

7.21「實如是,世尊,我樂欲聞。世尊,願即為我說。善逝,願即為我廣說。世尊,願為我廣說菩薩的崇高志願,這種志願使菩薩能夠圓滿覺悟無上正等覺。」

7.22The Blessed One then told the following story: “Śāradvatī­putra, immeasurably vast and countless beyond countless eons ago, there appeared in the world a thus-gone one, a worthy one, a perfect buddha, someone wise and virtuous, a well-gone one, a knower of the world, a steersman taming beings, an unsurpassable one, a teacher of gods and humans, a blessed buddha called Guṇarājaprabha. That blessed one had eighty-four thousand assemblies of great hearers and eighty-four thousand assemblies of bodhisattvas. Each one of those hearer assemblies had eight hundred forty million worthy ones, and each one of those bodhisattva assemblies had eight billion four hundred million bodhisattvas. That blessed one’s students were double the number of worthy ones of the hearer vehicle.

7.22世尊於是講述了一個故事:「舍利弗,無量廣大、無數無數劫前,世間出現了一位如來、應供、正等覺佛、智慧和美德兼具之人、善逝、世間解、調御丈夫、無上士、天人師,一位名叫功德光佛的世尊。那位世尊有八萬四千個聲聞大眾和八萬四千個菩薩眾。那些聲聞眾中每一個都有八百四十萬位應供,那些菩薩眾中每一個都有八十四億菩薩。那位世尊的弟子人數是聲聞乘應供數量的兩倍。」

7.23“Śāradvatī­putra, at that time there was a prince called Smṛtilābha. Once, Prince Smṛtilābha went to where the blessed thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha was. Having approached him, he bowed to the Blessed One’s feet and sat to one side. While Prince Smṛtilābha sat there he had the thought, ‘How amazing is the thus-gone one, the worthy one, the perfect buddha Guṇarājaprabha, who possesses such vast qualities. What kind of wisdom does the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha possess, and how is such wisdom to be accomplished? I will make a request to the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha in melodious verses.’ [F.144.a] He thus posed the following questions to the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha using verses replete with devotional sentiment:

7.23舍利弗,當時有一位名叫念藏的王子。念藏王子前往功德光佛所在之處。他來到功德光佛面前,向世尊頂禮雙足,然後坐在一旁。念藏王子坐在那裡時,他心想:「如來、應供、正等覺佛功德光,具足如此廣大的功德,真是令人讚歎!如來功德光究竟具足什麼樣的智慧,這樣的智慧又應當如何成就呢?我應當向如來功德光用妙音的偈頌來發出請求。」於是他用充滿虔誠情感的偈頌向如來功德光提出了以下問題:

“ ‘Seeing a buddha, the best among humans,
「看見佛陀,人中最勝者,
Inspiration is born in me‍—I long for awakening.
我心中生起了啟發——我渴望菩提。
You see the infinite actions beings have performed.
你見到眾生所作的無量業行。
How will I reach the ambrosia of the supreme vehicle?
我應該如何證得至高乘的甘露?
“ ‘Supreme Victor, your supreme body is like the moon amidst the stars.
「勝者啊,你的殊勝身體如同星辰中的月亮。
Supreme Victor, with supreme miracles you teach the Dharma always.
勝者,你用最高的神通時刻宣說法。
Your insight is supreme, like the lord of the divine abodes‍—
你的慧如同諸天宮殿之主一樣殊勝——
Omniscient Guṇarājaprabha, lord, supreme among men, I ask you!
一切智德王光,尊者,人中至尊,我恭敬請問!
“ ‘Your wisdom is unobstructed, stainless, pristine;
「你的智慧無礙、無染、清淨;
It knows the three times without impediment.
它無礙地了知三時。
Supreme among beings, exalted lord, great sage,
至尊的眾生啊,崇高的主宰,偉大的聖者,
Your mastery extends to everything!
你的掌握遍及一切!
“ ‘You have seen buddhas in the past.
「你曾經見過過去的諸佛。
You have requested the supreme awakening.
您已經祈求無上覺悟。
Please tell, King of Dharma,
請說,法王啊,
About the supreme wisdom you received then for the sake of awakening!
關於您當時為了菩提而獲得的無上智慧!
“ ‘You who see without hindrance, I ask,
「『您無礙地看見一切,我請問您,
How does one reach sublime and supreme awakening,
人如何才能達到崇高而無上的覺悟,
Become a refuge to all beings,
成為所有眾生的皈依。
And liberate them completely from death and birth?’
並將眾生從生死中完全解脫?'

7.29“Śāradvatī­putra, the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha then spoke these verses to Prince Smṛtilābha:

7.29舍利弗,如來德王光於是向念藏王子說出了這些偈頌:

“ ‘Prince, just as you have said,
「王子,正如你所說,
While accomplishing all actions with my mind,
我在成就一切行為時,以意來完成,
I have previously seen as many buddhas
我過去曾見過恆河沙數般多的諸佛。
As there are grains of sand in the river Ganges.
如恆河中的沙粒一樣多。
“ ‘Prince, I cannot say the names
「王子,我無法說出所有的名字
Of all the buddhas I have seen over that period.
我在那段時期所見過的所有諸佛。
I have seen and received teachings from all those who lived,
我見到並從所有那些曾經活著的佛陀那裡受了教法,
During as many eons as there are grains of sand in the Ganges.
在如同恆河沙粒那麼多的劫中。
“ ‘The thought that is the cause of awakening‍—
「『成就菩提的心念——
“May I be a buddha, the best among humans!”‍— is born in you.
「願我成佛,是人中最殊勝者!」——這樣的心在你心中誕生了。
Listen to the Dharma I will explain!
諦聽我所說的法!
Upon hearing it, apply yourself to its accomplishment. [F.144.b]
聽聞之後,要努力去完成它。
“ ‘Never be satisfied with generosity.
「永遠不要對佈施感到滿足。
Never be satisfied with discipline.
永遠不要對戒感到滿足。
Never be satisfied with concentration.
永遠不要滿足於定。
Prince, always rely upon insight.’
王子,應當時常依靠慧。
“Having thus briefly spoken in verse,
「就這樣簡要地用偈頌說道,
He told the prince that for the sake of ripening others
他告訴王子,為了使他人成熟
He would have to instruct him further.
他還需要進一步為王子開示。
The prince remained, understanding with joy and devotion.”
王子留下來,以喜世界和虔敬之心領悟。
“ ‘Do not be content with generosity.
「不要只滿足於佈施。
Do not be content either with discipline.
也不要只滿足於持戒。
Do not be content with questioning.
不要滿足於提問。
Wisdom will emerge from them.
智慧將從中生起。
“ ‘That wisdom does not dwell as an object,
「那智慧不是以對象的形式而存在,
For “dwelling in a place” also does not exist.
「住在一個地方」也不存在。
By asking a complete buddha,
通過向圓滿的佛陀提問,
You will attain wisdom.
你將獲得智慧。
“ ‘Wisdom is not based in the eyes.
「智慧不以眼為基礎。
For the eyes too are empty of essence.
眼睛也同樣沒有真實本質。
Since the eyes do not exist,
既然眼睛不存在,
The qualities of the buddhas are revealed.
諸佛的功德顯現出來。
“ ‘The ears and nose are the same way,
「耳朵和鼻子也是這樣,
As are the tongue, body, and mind.
舌、身、意亦復如是。
They are all ever empty
它們都是恆常空性的
And they have no essence.
而且它們沒有本質。
“ ‘The four elements
「四界
Are the state of the unborn mind.
是無生意的狀態。
The body comes from imagination,
身體來自於想象,
And imaginings too do not exist.
想像也不存在。
“ ‘Without dwelling on the body,
「不住於身,
Without dwelling on life force,
不執著於命,
And without dwelling on possessions,
不執著於所有物,
One can realize that awakening.
可以證得菩提。
“ ‘Apply renunciation constantly.
「經常修習出家。
Rely upon diligence constantly.
依靠精進常相続。
Abandon desires constantly.
要經常捨棄貪。
You should not travel to bad destinies.
你不應該前往惡趣。
“ ‘Even were you to practice generosity
「即使你去修行佈施
For the sake of all beings,
為了一切眾生的緣故,
You should not conceptualize any beings,
你不應該執著於任何眾生。
Nor dwell on any generosity at all!’
也不應該執著於任何佈施!

7.43“Śāradvatī­putra, Prince Smṛtilābha then replied in verse to the thus-gone one, the worthy one, the perfect buddha Guṇarājaprabha:

7.43舍利弗,念藏王子隨後以偈頌向如來、應供、正等覺佛功德光佛作出回應:

“ ‘You who have risen above the circuit of saṃsāra,
「你已超越輪迴的循環,
Please resolve my hesitation, remove my doubt! [F.145.a]
請為我解除疑惑,消除我的懷疑!
Through the Victorious One having taught me the Dharma here,
通過勝者在此為我宣說法,
Many qualities are brought together for me.
許多善的品質為我聚集在一起。
“ ‘According to the Dharma taught here by the Protector of the World,
「根據世間保護者在此所教導的法,
I believe that all the fetters of Māra will be cut
我相信所有魔的結都會被斷除。
And I will attain supreme awakening.
我將證得無上覺悟。
I believe I will reach the essence of awakening.
我相信我將達到菩提的本質。
“ ‘Through this Dharma taught here by the Protector of the World,
「通過世間保護者在此傳授的法,
I believe I will show miraculous displays.
我相信我會展現神通奇蹟。
I believe I will shake the earth.
我相信我將使大地震動。
I believe I will gather a vast saṅgha.
我相信我將會集聚廣大的僧團。
“ ‘I believe I will give up my life today.
「我相信我今天會捨棄生命。
I believe I will attain nirvāṇa now.
我相信我現在就能證得涅槃。
All phenomena being empty,
一切法體性空。
I do think that these will be quelled today.
我確實認為這些(煩惱)今天就會被平息。
“ ‘I long for the exhaustion of all these phenomena.
「我渴望所有這些法的窮盡。
The exhaustion of phenomena is not perceived anywhere at all.
法的窮盡在任何地方都不可得。
You have taught that the nature of everything is exhausted and empty.
你已經教導說一切法的本性都是窮盡了的、空性的。
I long for the nature of the exhaustion of all natures.
我渴望一切法的窮盡本性。
“ ‘I will go to my parents,
「我要回到我的父母親那裡,
Beg for their forgiveness, and then return!
乞求他們的原諒,然後回來!
Constantly pursuing the Dharma of the buddhas,
恆常追求諸佛的法。
I will go forth in the teachings!’
我要在佛陀的教法中出家!
“He then bowed to the feet of the Thus-Gone One,
他隨後向如來的足下頂禮,
Circumambulated the Victorious One three times,
繞行勝者三次。
And set out to see his parents.
然後就出發去見他的父母。
Yet an evil māra, sitting by the roadside, thought:
然而一個惡魔坐在路邊,心裡想著:
“ ‘This prince has here set out for awakening.
「這位王子在此已經開始尋求菩提。
He wishes to go forth under the Victorious One.
他想在勝者教下出家。
So I should seek out his weak point today.
因此我應該在今天尋找他的弱點。
I will rouse in him complete delusion today.’
我今天一定要在他心中激起完全的癡迷。
“Seated on the road, he asked the prince,
「坐在路邊,他問王子,」
‘Prince, where are you coming from?
王子,你從哪裡來?
Why are you going so quickly?
你為什麼走得這麼急?
Sit for a moment! I will ask you something!’
坐一會兒!我要問你一件事!
“The prince said to the man,
王子對那人說道:
‘I have just paid my respects to a buddha.
「我剛才向佛陀禮敬了。」
He taught me the supreme of all dharmas,
他教導我最高無上的法,
And I will now cultivate that Dharma of the buddhas.’
我現在就要修持諸佛的這個法。
“ ‘Prince,’ said the māra, ‘your application of effort
"王子,"魔說,"你的精進力量
In pursuit of the Dharma of the buddhas is outstanding. [F.145.b]
追求諸佛之法是最殊勝的。
But if you desire by all means to go forth,
但如果你執意要出家,
Partake of desires now and go forth later!
現在就享受貪欲,以後再出家吧!
“ ‘You have obtained vast pleasures and a kingdom.
「你已經得到了廣大的快樂和王國。
It is not suitable to have regret upon going forth,
出家後不應該有悔恨。
Thinking, “I did not indulge in fine pleasures at all!”
心想:「我根本沒有享受過美好的欲樂!」
Thus, first indulge in pleasures, and then go forth.
因此,先享受欲樂,然後再出家。
“ ‘Your pleasures are grand and your kingdom supreme.
「你的快樂盛大,你的王國至高無上。
Such excellent leisure is difficult to obtain.
這樣的美好閒暇是很難得到的。
If you go forth without having indulged in these pleasures,
如果你沒有享受過這些快樂就出家,
Prince, you will regret it later.’
王子,你將來必會後悔的。
“The prince replied to the māra,
王子回答魔說:
‘I will not be happy indulging in desire.
「我不會因為沉溺於貪而感到快樂。」
Since it is the futility of desire that has been extolled,
既然貪的無益已經被推崇讚揚,
It is you who dwell in a misconception.
你所住的就是錯誤的觀點。
“ ‘That which is hard to attain while lacking freedom,
「那難以獲得的,在缺乏自由時,
Is difficult to practice nowadays.
在當今時代是很難修行的。
So, having obtained leisure, I will practice the Dharma
因此,既然已經獲得閒暇,我就要修行佛法。
And instantly go forth.
並立即出家。
“ ‘I see this desire realm as faulty
「我看這個欲界有缺陷
And, likewise, I see the form realm as faulty.
同樣地,我也看見色界有過失。
I also see the formless realm as faulty.
我也看到無色界有過失。
Yet I see the peace of nirvāṇa as faultless.
然而我看涅槃寂靜是沒有過失的。
“ ‘Having pursued the uncompounded Dharma,
「追求無為法之後,
I will be of vast benefit to people,
我將能夠利益眾生無量無邊。
Liberate them from the torment of aging and sickness,
解脫他們免於老病的折磨,
And prevent them from rushing into further existences.’ [B12]
並阻止他們奔向更多的生死輪迴。

7.60“Śāradvatī­putra, the māra Muṣitasmṛti then said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, you have said you will pursue the Dharma of the buddhas. Prince, that being the case, since I desire your benefit, welfare, success, and happiness, I will instruct you! If you follow me it will be to your benefit.’

7.60舍利弗,失念魔對念藏王子說:「王子,你說你要追求諸佛之法。王子,既然這樣,因為我希望你得到利益、福祉、成功和快樂,我就來教導你!如果你跟隨我,就對你有利益。」

7.61“Śāradvatī­putra, Prince Smṛtilābha replied to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘Fine, then teach me! Upon hearing, I will judge!’

7.61「舍利弗,念藏王子回答魔失念魔說:『好的,那就教我吧!我聽了以後會自己判斷!』」

“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then said to Prince Smṛtilābha, [F.146.a] ‘Noble son, you should first make a promise. When you have done so, I will instruct you.’

「失念魔對念藏王子說,『善男子,你應該先發誓。當你發完誓後,我就會教導你。』」

7.62“The prince replied, ‘Did I not tell you, “Fine, then teach me! Upon hearing, I will judge” ?’

7.62王子回答說:「我不是已經告訴你了,『好的,那就教我吧!我聽了以後會判斷』嗎?」

“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, you should not say, “Upon hearing, I will judge.” Prince, you should rather say, “Teach me and I will do as you say!” ’

失念魔對念藏王子說:「王子,你不應該說『聽後再判斷』。王子,你應該說『請教導我,我就依你的話去做』才對!」

7.63“ ‘Listen,’ the prince retorted, ‘you should not ask me to follow your words at all costs! This is because if you present non-Dharma as the Dharma, or the Dharma as non-Dharma, I will reject it once I so analyze it. On the other hand, if you teach what is true, I will accept it. That being the case, it is only wise to say, “Upon hearing it, I will judge.” This is how the circumspect behave. It is an act of careful investigation. Asking me to follow your words at all costs is not how the circumspect behave, nor is it praised by the wise. Rather, it is the workings of a māra, and not the activity of a buddha. It would therefore be improper if I had to go back on my former promise in case you were to give me non-Dharmic advice. So, I will not promise that at all costs. Thus, seeing those faults, I will not say absolutely whether or not I will follow your teaching.’

7.63王子反駁道:「聽著,你根本不應該要求我無條件地服從你的言語!這是因為如果你將非法當作法來呈現,或將法當作非法來呈現,我一旦分析後就會拒絕它。另一方面,如果你教導的是真實的,我就會接受它。既然是這樣,只有謹慎的人才會說『聽聞後,我會判斷』。這就是謹慎的人的行為方式。這是仔細思辨的舉動。要求我無條件地服從你的言語,這不是謹慎的人的行為,也不被智者讚揚。相反地,這是魔的作為,不是佛陀的活動。因此,如果你給我非法的建議,我還要違背之前的承諾,那就太不恰當了。所以我根本不會做出那樣的承諾。因此,看到這些過失,我不會絕對地說我是否會追隨你的教導。」

7.64“The māra Muṣitasmṛti thought, ‘Since the prince will not say definitively whether he will follow my teaching or not, I should make a plan.’ [F.146.b] So, in order to confuse Prince Smṛtilābha, he said, ‘Excellent! Prince, this is the action of the wise. Prince, excellent, excellent that you will not say absolutely whether you will follow my teaching. Prince, I will instruct you anyway and then you will understand. Prince, do not rely on something that you see as full of faults!’

7.64魔失念魔心想:「由於王子不會明確地說他是否會跟隨我的教導,我應該制定計畫。」於是,為了迷惑念藏王子,他說:「很好!王子,這是有智慧者的舉動。王子,很好,很好,你不會絕對地說你是否會跟隨我的教導。王子,我無論如何會教導你,那時你就會明白。王子,不要依靠你認為充滿缺陷的東西!」

7.65“ ‘Listen, you should not put it like that,’ replied the prince. ‘And why not? Because one should neither rely upon what is full of faults, nor on what has only a few faults‍—a little poison kills a person just as much as a lot of poison does. Poison mixed with the food of an ordinary person kills, just as poison mixed with the food of a universal monarch kills‍—neither is fit to eat and neither should be relied upon. Likewise, if someone says, “Do not rely on what is full of faults! Rely on what has only a few faults!” one should actually not rely upon either. What, then, should the wise rely upon? They should reply upon what is flawless, utterly flawless, free of degeneration, free of anguish, free of distress, unmoving, soothing, and blissful.’

7.65「聽著,你不應該這樣說,」王子回答道。「為什麼呢?因為一個人既不應該依賴充滿過失的東西,也不應該依賴只有少許過失的東西——少量的毒藥就像大量的毒藥一樣會殺死一個人。毒藥混在普通人的食物裡會殺死他,毒藥混在轉輪聖王的食物裡也會殺死他——兩者都不適合食用,兩者都不應該依賴。同樣地,如果有人說「不要依賴充滿過失的東西!應該依賴只有少許過失的東西!」那麼實際上一個人根本不應該依賴這兩者。那麼,智者應該依賴什麼呢?他們應該依賴無缺陷的、完全無缺陷的、沒有退化的、沒有苦的、沒有困擾的、不動搖的、安寧的,以及充滿喜樂的東西。」

7.66“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then thought, ‘Prince Smṛtilābha finds faults in all the instructions that I put forth and then gives a response.’ Pondering thus, he said, ‘Prince, you have excellently said, “The wise delight in what is free of anguish, flawless, and tranquil.” Well, Prince, the conduct of bodhisattvas has many faults. [F.147.a] Those faults are the faults of births, destinies, saṃsāra, attachment, anger, untimely requests, and giving up pleasing objects, the last of which involves the fault of giving away eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and body. The conduct of a bodhisattva thus involves a great many faults. If one does not give rise to the mind set on awakening, the faults are fewer, so it is excellent that you think that whether something has many or few faults, neither should be relied upon. Prince, I did not know how circumspect and wise you are. I have seen your extremely fine, exalted intention, and what I said before was forgetful of that. Indeed, since both involve a fall into error, one should neither rely on something with many faults nor on something with few faults. Prince, the main point here is just this: nirvāṇa is the abandonment of all aggregates. Prince, what is the benefit of repeatedly experiencing the faulty existences of saṃsāra where one will have to repeatedly die? Rather, you should aspire for nirvāṇa. Prince, for beings to dwell in the womb is suffering. Separation from the desirable and encountering the undesirable is suffering. Prince, to take the body, which is without essence and impermanent, to be one’s leader is suffering. The impermanence of the life force is suffering. The impermanence and essencelessness of pleasures is suffering. Prince, dying over and over again is suffering. Prince, that is why I say to you, the appearance of a thus-gone one, the obtainment of a human birth, excellent leisure, and unexcelled faith in a thus-gone one’s teaching are difficult to obtain. [F.147.b] Therefore, Prince, having obtained these things, do not throw them away! Prince, since those are the points that I wished to teach and explain, and that you wished to respond to, you have listened. Since you have stayed for what I have taught, that is your instruction, so you can listen and judge!’

7.66魔失念魔心想:「王子念藏對於我所提出的所有教導都找出了過失,然後做出了回應。」思考著這樣,他說:「王子,你說得很好:『智者喜愛沒有痛苦、完美無缺、寧靜的事物。』好吧,王子,菩薩的行為有許多過失。那些過失是生、趣、輪迴、貪著、瞋、不時的祈求,以及放棄令人愉悅之物的過失,最後一項涉及放棄眼、耳、鼻、舌和身體的過失。菩薩的行為因此涉及許多過失。如果一個人不生起菩提心,過失會更少,所以你認為無論是多還是少的過失都不應該被依靠,這是很好的。王子,我不知道你有多麼謹慎和聰慧。我看到了你極其優良、高尚的意圖,我之前所說的話是忽視了那一點。確實,由於兩者都涉及陷入錯誤,所以無論是有許多過失的事物還是有少數過失的事物,都不應該被依靠。王子,這裡的要點就是:涅槃就是對所有蘊的放棄。王子,在那個有過失的輪迴中一再經歷、一再死亡有什麼好處呢?相反,你應該渴望涅槃。王子,眾生住在子宮中是苦。與令人嚮往的事物分離,遇到令人厭惡的事物是苦。王子,以沒有本質且無常的身體作為自己的領導者是苦。命的無常是苦。樂的無常和無我是苦。王子,一次又一次地死亡是苦。王子,這就是為什麼我對你說,如來的出現、獲得人身、優越的閒暇,以及對如來教法的無上信心是難以獲得的。因此,王子,既然你已經獲得了這些,就不要拋棄它們!王子,既然那些是我想教導和解釋的要點,也是你想回應的要點,你已經聽過了。既然你停留在我所教導的內容中,那就是你的教導,所以你可以聽取並做出判斷!」

7.67“Prince Smṛtilābha replied to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘I rejoice in you! I strongly rejoice in what you said about birth, old age, sickness, and death being suffering, and likewise, about how everything up to turning repeatedly in saṃsāra is the same. You also said, “May you swiftly reach nirvāṇa.” Upon hearing your words my compassion for beings welled up. As beings are repeatedly tormented by birth, old age, sickness, and death, I hope that I may fully awaken to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood, and thus free them from the fears of birth, old age, sickness, and death, so that beings no longer repeatedly fall under their sway. Your instructions to me about the continued sufferings of saṃsāra once I have attained nirvāṇa were also amazing. Upon hearing them, compassion welled up in me for beings. So if I pass beyond suffering, who will be the protector and liberator of those beings?’

7.67念藏王子回答失念魔說:「我歡喜你!我非常歡喜你所說的生、老、病、死是苦,以及一切直到在輪迴中反覆輪轉也都是同樣的道理。你也說過『願你迅速到達涅槃』。聽到你的話語後,我對眾生的慈悲油然而生。因為眾生反覆被生、老、病、死所折磨,我希望我能夠圓滿證悟無上正等正覺,從而把他們從生、老、病、死的恐懼中解救出來,使眾生不再反覆陷入這些痛苦之中。你關於我證得涅槃後輪迴中持續的苦難的教導也令人讚嘆。聽到這些話語後,我對眾生的慈悲油然而生。那麼如果我超越了苦難,誰將成為那些眾生的保護者和解救者呢?」

7.68“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then asked Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Did you, or did you not say that even something with very few faults is not to be relied upon?’

7.68魔失念魔於是問念藏王子說:「你是否說過,即使是只有極少過失的東西也不應該依靠呢?」

“ ‘That is right,’ Prince Smṛtilābha replied, ‘even something with very few faults should not be relied upon. Thus, since unexcelled and perfect awakening is faultless, it should be relied upon.’ [F.148.a]

「念藏王子回答說:『對的,即使是很少有過失的東西也不應該依賴。所以,既然無上正等覺沒有過失,就應該依賴它。』」

7.69“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, unexcelled and perfect awakening is indeed faultless. However, Prince, if even I could not attain it, how will you? Prince, I too thought in the past, “I will fully awaken to unexcelled and perfect buddhahood!” I gave rise to such a perverse idea and immediately beggars came, who tormented and tortured me by asking for my head, hands, legs, eyes, ears, children, wives, enjoyments, vehicles, houses, harems, gardens, gems, pearls, cat’s eyes, conch shells, crystals, coral, wealth, grain, kingdom, and the rest. While undergoing such hardships and being forced to give up my possessions, rivers of blood flowed from my dismembered body, which tormented my mind. Consequently, I gave up on my giving rise to the mind of awakening. If you do not believe me, would you like to see that hardship of mine?’

7.69魔失念魔對念藏王子說:「王子,無上正等覺確實沒有過失。然而王子,連我都無法證得它,你又怎麼能呢?王子,我過去也曾這樣想過:『我要圓滿證得無上正等正覺!』我生起了這樣的邪念,立刻就有乞丐來了,他們通過要求我的頭、手、腿、眼睛、耳朵、孩子、妻子、享樂、車乘、房子、後宮、花園、寶石、珍珠、貓眼石、海螺、水晶、珊瑚、財富、穀物、王國等等,來折磨和摧殘我。在經歷了這樣的艱難困苦並被迫放棄我的財產時,鮮血從我被肢解的身體流出,這折磨著我的心。因此,我放棄了生起菩提心。如果你不相信我,你想看看我那時的這種艱難嗎?」

“ ‘Yes, I would like to see that, as that will be to my benefit,’ said Smṛtilābha.

「是的,我想看看那個,因為那對我會有益處,」念藏說。

7.70“The māra Muṣitasmṛti now thought, ‘The bodhisattva Smṛtilābha does not believe in anything that I have done to thwart his resolve. However, he has now told me, “Show me what will be of benefit to me!” ’

7.70「魔失念魔心想:『菩薩念得不相信我所做的任何阻撓他決心的事。然而,他現在告訴我:「把對我有益的事展現給我看!」』」

7.71So the māra now manifested four rivers of blood before the prince. He also manifested four heaps of gold the size of snow mountains and a heap of devoured, bloody, and decomposing skulls the size of Mount Sumeru. He also manifested heaps of bones, as white as conch shells, the size of the other mountains. He manifested corpses with various dismemberments, such as dismembered hands, legs, ears, and other limbs and appendages, and in a variety of forms, [F.148.b] such as the forms of humans, gandharvas, yakṣas, lions, tigers, horses, hares, monkeys, bears, leopards, boars, deer, hyenas, elephants, buffaloes, and more. He likewise manifested corpses in the forms of fish, sharks, porpoises, and crocodiles, and in the forms of geese, peacocks, crows, cuckoos, sparrows, pheasants, kuṇala birds, cranes, myna birds, and others. Some of the corpses had one mouth. Others had two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, or upwards of a hundred thousand mouths. Some had one tongue, while others had two, three, four, five, or upwards of a hundred thousand tongues. There were also corpses with anywhere from one to a hundred thousand eyes. The corpses, moreover, all cocked their eyes and ears, chattered their teeth, and bit their lips, while the yakṣas stood at attention holding many different kinds of weapons in their hands. Having manifested such a cause of fright and terror as this, he said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, these are the rivers of blood. These are the four great mountains of bones.’

7.71於是魔失念就在王子面前顯現出四條血河。他也顯現出四堆金山,大小如雪山,以及一堆被吞食、滿是血跡、腐爛的頭骨,大小如須彌山。他又顯現出成堆的白骨,潔白如貝殼,大小如其他山嶺。他顯現出各種肢體殘缺的屍體,例如被砍斷的手、腳、耳朵和其他四肢,以及各種形態的屍體,如人、乾闥婆、夜叉、獅子、老虎、馬、兔子、猴子、熊、豹子、野豬、鹿、鬣狗、大象、水牛等的形態。他同樣顯現出魚、鯊魚、海豚和鱷魚的形態的屍體,以及鵝、孔雀、烏鴉、布穀鳥、麻雀、野雞、昆那羅鳥、鶴、百舌鳥等的形態的屍體。有些屍體只有一張嘴,有些則有兩張、三張、四張、五張、六張、七張、八張、九張、十張、二十張、三十張、四十張、五十張,或超過十萬張嘴。有些屍體只有一條舌頭,有些則有兩條、三條、四條、五條,或超過十萬條舌頭。還有許多屍體從一隻眼睛到十萬隻眼睛不等。這些屍體都瞪著眼睛、豎起耳朵、咬牙切齒、咬著嘴唇,夜叉們站在一旁握著各式各樣的武器。魔就這樣顯現出這樣可怕駭人的景象,對念藏王子說:「王子啊,這些就是血河,這些就是四座大骨山。」

“ ‘Yes, I see them,’ said Smṛtilābha.

「是的,我看到了,」念得說。

7.72“ ‘Prince,’ continued the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘these rivers of blood were formed from cutting off my limbs and appendages. Prince, do you see the four Mount Sumeru-sized mountains of skull bones?’

7.72"王子,"失念魔繼續說,"這些血河是從砍斷我的四肢和附屬器官而形成的。王子,你看到了那四座須彌山大小的頭骨堆嗎?"

“ ‘Yes, I see them.’

"是的,我看到了。"

7.73“ ‘Those are all my heads that were cut off while I was practicing bodhisattva conduct. [F.149.a] Do you also see the four mountains of corpses with dismembered hands, dismembered feet, eyes gouged out, and various limbs and appendages cut off?’

7.73"那些都是我在修持菩薩行時被砍下來的頭顱。[F.149.a]你也看到那四座由屍體堆積成的山嶎?裡面有被砍斷的手臂、被砍斷的雙腳、被挖出的眼睛,以及各種被切割的四肢和軀體。"

“ ‘Yes, I do.’

「是的,我看到了。」

7.74“ ‘Prince, those are the limbs and appendages I gave up while practicing bodhisattva conduct. Prince, do you see the armies of yakṣas in the four directions?’

7.74「王子,這些都是我在修行菩薩行時捨棄的四肢和身體各部分。王子,你看得見四方的夜叉大軍嗎?」

“ ‘Yes, I do.’

「是的,我看到了。」

7.75“ ‘Prince, those frightful and terrifying beings are the ones who robbed me of vitality as I was giving rise to the mind set on awakening. They are the ones who requested everything from my head to my appendages as I gave rise to the mind set on awakening. Prince, while I was previously giving rise to the mind set on awakening, they did everything from requesting and cutting off my head to cutting off my limbs and appendages.’

7.75「王子,那些令人恐懼和害怕的有情,就是在我生起菩提心時奪取我生命力的存在。當我生起菩提心時,他們向我索要從頭到四肢的一切。王子,我之前生起菩提心時,他們做了從索要和砍下我的頭到砍斷我的四肢的一切事情。」

7.76“Now the māra Muṣitasmṛti manifested a legion of rākṣasas and asked, ‘Prince, do you see that legion of rākṣasas?’

7.76「現在失念魔顯現出羅剎大軍,並問道:『王子,你看見那支羅剎大軍嗎?』」

“ ‘Yes, I do.’

「是的,我看到了。」

7.77“ ‘Prince, they rob the vitality from those who give rise to the mind set on awakening while they are dwelling in the womb. They divest the bodhisattvas of their life force even while they are dwelling in the womb. Prince, never at any time was I free from that suffering for as long as I was giving rise to the mind set on awakening. It followed me the whole time. Prince, it was because I could not endure that pain that I turned my mind away from unexcelled and perfect awakening. When I turned my mind away from awakening, I was free from that suffering and the harm subsided. Therefore, Prince, since I desire your welfare, benefit, success, and happiness, I implore you: Do not give rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening! [F.149.b] Prince, do not incur such suffering!’

7.77「王子,他們在那些於母胎中生起菩提心的眾生身上奪取命。他們在菩薩於母胎中時便奪取他們的命。王子,只要我生起菩提心,我就從未擺脫過那種苦,它一直跟隨著我。王子,正是因為我無法忍受那種痛苦,我才將意念從無上正等覺轉移開了。當我將意念從菩提轉移開時,我才擺脫了那種苦,傷害也消退了。因此,王子,既然我想要你的福祉、利益、成功和快樂,我懇求你:不要生起無上正等覺的菩提心!王子,不要遭受這樣的苦!」

7.78“Prince Smṛtilābha now thought, ‘I have given rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening in the presence of the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha. But this person is trying to avert my resolve away from unexcelled and perfect awakening. This is unsuitable, if it is a māra in the guise of man, or someone inspired by a māra. But this person could also be a bodhisattva. Then, he would have become lazy and rejected the mind of awakening. For if this person has encountered such suffering, then for all those beggars to come, from those requesting his limbs and appendages to those divesting him of his life force, he must have committed negative actions in the past. However, those beggars would only contribute toward my unexcelled and perfect awakening. This is because those beings are ignorant and perpetuate ignorance. Due to desire, anger, delusion, jealousy, and pride, they make untimely requests of the bodhisattva great beings. If I am able to perfectly satisfy those beings on the mundane level, I will also perfectly satisfy them accordingly on the supramundane level. Since this man lacks resolve, he is lazy, his diligence is weak, and he does not have an exalted motivation. Thus, he has turned away from unexcelled and perfect awakening. Alas, I must now ensure more than ever that I have the proper view. I will ensure more than ever that I adopt and practice diligence. Even should I lose my life force between each inhalation and exhalation of breath, I will not turn my mind away from unexcelled and perfect awakening. [F.150.a] I will endure that many losses of my life force. I will not abandon the buddha qualities. This is because, when it comes to beings who would deprive me of my life force, they only intend to harm me because they are under the control of afflictions. That is why they are predisposed toward negative deeds. For that reason, I will don the armor of teaching them the Dharma that enables them to abandon the afflictions in order for them to attain unexcelled and perfect awakening.’

7.78念藏王子心想:「我在如來德王光面前已經生起菩提心。但這個人試圖轉移我對無上正等覺的決心。如果這是一個魔變現成的人,或者受到魔鬼驅使的人,這是不合適的。但這個人也可能是菩薩。那麼,他已經變得懶惰,拒絕了菩提心。因為如果這個人遭遇了這樣的苦難,那麼所有那些乞丐前來,從那些請求他的四肢和身體部分的人,到那些奪取他命的人,他在過去一定犯了負面的業。然而,那些乞丐只會對我的無上正等覺有所幫助。這是因為那些眾生是無知的,並且持續無知。由於貪、瞋、癡、嫉妒和我慢,他們對菩薩大士提出不適時的請求。如果我能圓滿地在世間層面滿足那些眾生,我也將相應地在出世間層面圓滿地滿足他們。由於這個人缺乏決心,他是懶惰的,他的精進是薄弱的,他沒有崇高的動機。因此,他已經轉離了無上正等覺。唉呀,我現在更加必須確保我有正確的見解。我將更加確保我採取並實踐精進。即使在每一次吸氣和呼氣之間我失去命,我也不會轉移我的心離開無上正等覺。我將忍受那麼多次命的喪失。我不會放棄佛功德。這是因為,當涉及到那些會奪取我命的眾生時,他們只是因為被煩惱控制才打算傷害我。那就是為什麼他們傾向於負面的行為。因此,我將穿上教導他們法的甲冑,使他們能夠放棄煩惱,以便他們達到無上正等覺。」

7.79“The bodhisattva Smṛtilābha then said to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘You really do want my benefit and welfare. You also want my success and happiness. For the things you have shown me are amazing. This is because, having seen such things, I will now don a much stronger armor and give rise to an exalted intention set on unexcelled and perfect awakening.’

7.79菩薩念得對魔失念魔說:「你確實想要我的利益和福祉,也想要我的成功和快樂。因為你所展現給我看的這些事物令人驚嘆。正因為看到了這樣的事物,我現在將披上更加堅固的盔甲,並生起了朝向無上正等覺的殊勝意願。」

7.80“The māra Muṣitasmṛti now thought, ‘Whatever frightful and terrifying things I show him, these only inspire him to don a much firmer armor.’ So he told Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘If you do not pay heed to my advice, then, as you must have reached your own understanding, I will now leave this place.’

7.80"魔失念現在想:『無論我向他展示什麼可怕和恐怖的東西,這些只會激勵他穿上更加堅固的盔甲。』於是他告訴念藏王子:『如果你不聽從我的勸告,那麼既然你必定已經有了自己的認識,我現在就離開這個地方。』"

7.81“After Muṣitasmṛti had said this, the yakṣas manifested by the māra said, ‘Sir, if Prince Smṛtilābha does not act according to your advice, you should leave this place, and we, being hungry and thirsty, will rob the prince of his vitality.’ Others said, [F.150.b] ‘Sir, you should go! We will instantly pulverize this prince.’ Others chimed in, ‘We will request the prince for his head.’ Still others suggested, ‘Sir, you should go! He will not remain long and his life force will cease to exist. Thus, what will it matter whether he heeds or trusts your words that seek his benefit and welfare? Because he will not act according to your advice, we will scatter his vitality even as he enters the womb! We will devour his flesh! We will drink his blood!’ Others also shouted, ‘Prince Smṛtilābha is unattended. Strike Prince Smṛtilābha! Strike him! Cut Prince Smṛtilābha! Cut him! Kill him!’

7.81失念魔說了這些話後,魔所化現的夜叉們說道:「尊者,如果念藏王子不按照您的勸告行動,您應該離開這個地方,我們因為飢餓和口渴,會奪取王子的生命力。」另一些夜叉說:「尊者,您應該走!我們會立刻摧毀這位王子。」還有一些夜叉附和說:「我們會向王子要求他的頭顱。」還有其他的夜叉建議說:「尊者,您應該走!他不會活得很久,他的命會終結。因此,他是否遵從您為了他的利益和福祉而說的話又有什麼關係呢?因為他不會按照您的勸告行動,我們甚至會在他投入母胎時就奪取他的生命力!我們會吞噬他的肉體!我們會喝他的血!」還有一些夜叉也叫喊著:「念藏王子是無人保護的。襲擊念藏王子!襲擊他!砍傷念藏王子!砍傷他!殺死他!」

7.82“Muṣitasmṛti then replied to them, ‘Wait, do not do that just yet. I will dissuade Prince Smṛtilābha from this evil view, so that he will act according to my words. I have been his companion for a long time; we were born together. You must wait for as long as it takes Prince Smṛtilābha to come to an understanding of the exalted intention. Protect me too in gratitude for what I have done. If you see that Prince Smṛtilābha does not give up that evil view, then after that you can do as you please. But if you see that I have been able to dissuade him from that evil view, you must be grateful for what I have done, and also show gratitude for the prince’s deeds.’

7.82失念魔就對他們說:「等一下,先不要這樣做。我會勸阻念藏王子放棄這個邪見,讓他按照我的話去做。我陪伴他已經很久了;我們一起出生。你們必須等待,直到念藏王子理解這個殊勝的心意為止。也要感謝我所做的一切而保護我。如果你們看到念藏王子沒有放棄那個邪見,那麼之後你們就可以隨意行動。但如果你們看到我已經成功勸阻他放棄那個邪見,你們就必須感謝我所做的,也要感謝王子的所作所為。」

7.83“Śāradvatī­putra, the māra Muṣitasmṛti said twice to prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, follow my compassionate and beneficial words and I will be your companion for as long as we shall live. [F.151.a] Prince, what good to you is this evil view? Prince, give up this view! Prince, unexcelled and perfect awakening is difficult to attain. Prince, unexcelled and perfect awakening is extremely difficult to attain. Prince, do you want to see the other locations of the existences into which bodhisattvas are born?’

7.83「舍利弗,失念魔對念藏王子說了兩次:『王子啊,你要聽從我的慈悲和有利的話語,我將終身做你的伴侶。王子啊,這種惡見對你有什麼好處呢?王子啊,放棄這種見解吧!王子啊,無上正等正覺很難證得。王子啊,無上正等正覺極其難以證得。王子啊,你想看看菩薩們投生的其他各種存在的地方嗎?』」

“ ‘Yes, I would like that.’

「是的,我願意看。」

7.84“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then manifested right on that spot the hell realms and asked Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, do you see the beings experiencing the many kinds of torments and sensations in those hells?’

7.84失念魔隨即在那個地方示現了地獄,問念藏王子說:「王子,你看見在那些地獄中的眾生經歷各種折磨和痛苦的感受嗎?」

“ ‘Yes, I do.’

「是的,我相信。」

7.85“ ‘Prince, they all previously gave rise to the mind set on awakening. However, harmed by beggars, they produced feelings of miserliness and ill will and were therefore born into the hells. Prince, such is the destiny especially for those who give to beggars and have ill will. Those harboring ill will are born into such destinations. Prince, even if you have no ill will in your motive to give, then your next birth will be aborted as these yakṣas will rob your vitality while you are still in the womb. Once you are born, moreover, they will cut off your limbs and appendages and take them away. Ask them, Prince, if you do not believe me!’

7.85「王子,他們都曾經生起過菩提心。但是,他們受到乞丐的傷害,產生了慳貪和惡意的感受,因此投生到地獄中。王子,這就是那些對乞丐施捨卻懷有惡意的人的命運。懷有惡意的人會投生到這樣的地方。王子,即使你在施捨時心中沒有惡意,你的下一世也會在母胎中夭折,因為這些夜叉會在你還在母胎中時掠奪你的生命力。而且,一旦你出生了,他們會砍斷你的四肢和身體的其他部分並帶走。王子,如果你不相信我,可以問他們!」

7.86“Prince Smṛtilābha then asked the hell beings, ‘Noble sons, why were you born in these hells?’

7.86念藏王子就問地獄眾生說:「善男子,你們為什麼會生在這些地獄裡?」

“ ‘Prince,’ they replied, ‘we had previously given rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening but, oppressed and tormented when beggars made demands of us, [F.151.b] we became miserly and were born into these hell realms.’ Others among them also said, ‘Prince, previously we had given rise to the mind set on awakening, but when beggars therefore asked for our limbs and appendages, we got angry and were thus born into the hells. Prince, you should therefore do as this person advises you. It would not be good for you to be born here and later regret it.’

「王子,」他們回答說,「我們之前曾經發起無上正等覺的菩提心,但是當乞丐向我們索求時,我們受到了壓迫和折磨,變得慳吝,因此被生在這些地獄裡。」其中有些眾生也說,「王子,我們之前曾經發起菩提心,但是當乞丐向我們索求四肢和器官時,我們感到憤怒,因此被生在地獄裡。王子,你應該按照這個人的勸告去做。你被生在這裡,以後後悔就不好了。」

7.87“Prince Smṛtilābha then said to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘You do want my welfare, benefit, success, and happiness. The hells you have shown me and the beings who have embarked on the Bodhisattva Vehicle that you have shown me are amazing! Because of this, I will henceforth ensure that I am unflappable in my perseverance in anything that beings should request. I will solely provide them with everything. I will neither be angry nor have ill will. This is because being born into the hells is not the fruit of generosity, but the fruit of miserliness. Come with me! We should go together to where the thus-gone one, the worthy one, the perfect buddha Guṇarājaprabha is. We should pay respects and make requests to the thus-gone one, the worthy one, that perfect buddha. We should accept whatever he says.’

7.87「念藏王子對失念魔說:『你實在是願意我的福祉、利益、成功和幸福。你向我展示的地獄和你向我展示的那些踏上菩薩乘的有情,都令人驚嘆!正因為如此,從今以後,我要確保自己在任何有情所請求的事上都保持堅定不移的毅力。我將唯一地為他們提供一切。我既不會生氣,也不會懷有惡意。這是因為生到地獄並不是佈施的果報,而是悭吝的果報。跟我一起去吧!我們應該一起去往如來、應供、正等覺佛功德光佛那裡。我們應該向如來、應供那位正等覺佛致敬並提出請求。我們應該接受他所說的一切。』」

7.88“The māra Muṣitasmṛti said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Noble son, what good will going to the Thus-Gone One do you? Prince, you go! I am not going. This is because it would not be right for me to go there and give rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening.’ [F.152.a]

7.88魔失念魔對念藏王子說:「善男子,去見如來對你有什麼好處呢?王子,你去吧!我是不去的。這是因為我去那裡並生起無上正等覺心是不對的。」

7.89“Prince Smṛtilābha then said to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘If you want my welfare, success, and happiness then come, let us go to the Thus-Gone One. Let us accept whatever he says.’ He then repeated this, three times in all.

7.89念藏王子又對失念魔說:「如果你想要我的福祉、成功和快樂,那麼我們一起去見如來吧。我們應當接受他所說的一切。」他這樣重複說了三次。

“But the māra insisted, ‘Enough, Prince! I have already done a lot of what he has advised. On precisely that account I have incurred great suffering. So I will not do as he advises.’

「但是魔說:『夠了,王子!我已經按照他的勸告做了很多事。正因為這樣,我才遭受了巨大的苦難。所以我不會按照他的勸告去做。』」

7.90“The prince then grabbed the māra Muṣitasmṛti by the hand and pulled him along, saying, ‘Come, let us go to where the Blessed One is!’

7.90王子隨即抓住失念魔的手,把他拉著,說道:「來吧,我們一起去世尊那裡!」

“ ‘Prince, go away!’ shouted the māra Muṣitasmṛti. ‘You should not be a disciple. You will experience those heaps of suffering.’

「王子,走開!」失念魔大聲喊道:「你不應該做弟子。你將經歷那些堆積的苦。」

7.91“Still, Prince Smṛtilābha went to where the Blessed One was. Approaching, he circumambulated the Blessed One and sat to one side. While seated there, he told the Blessed One all about the words he had with the māra on the road. The blessed thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha said to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Prince, well done, well done! That was the māra called Muṣitasmṛti, who came to confuse you and avert you from your resolve.’

7.91念藏王子還是前往世尊所在的地方。到了那裡,他繞世尊行走,然後坐在一旁。坐下後,他把在路上與魔王的對話全部告訴了世尊。德王光如來對念藏王子說:「王子,做得好,做得好!那就是名叫失念魔的魔王,他來想迷惑你,想讓你放棄自己的決心。」

7.92“Prince Smṛtilābha then went to the māra and said, ‘Come, māra! Go for refuge in the Blessed One! Go for refuge in the Dharma! Go for refuge in the Saṅgha!’

7.92念藏王子於是來到魔失念魔所在之處,對他說:「來吧,魔!皈依世尊!皈依法!皈依僧!」

“The māra Muṣitasmṛti replied to Prince Smṛtilābha, ‘Enough, Prince! I will not go for refuge in the Blessed One! I will not go for refuge in the Dharma! I will not go for refuge in the Saṅgha!’ Having thus spoken, the māra fell silent.

失念魔對念藏王子回答道:「夠了,王子!我不會皈依世尊!我不會皈依法!我不會皈依僧!」魔說完這些話後,就沉默不語了。

7.93“Then, by means of the blessing of truth, Prince Smṛtilābha looked at the māra Muṣitasmṛti. [F.152.b] No sooner had he looked at him than he saw that spontaneously the māra Muṣitasmṛti’s hair had a seven day shave, and spontaneously he was wearing fine and soft ochre robes; and he saw that he was carrying a monk’s staff and an alms bowl. The māra Muṣitasmṛti, realizing that he had spontaneously gone forth and was carrying a monk’s staff and an alms bowl, said to the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha, ‘Blessed One, someone who does not go for refuge to the Buddha, does not go for refuge to the Dharma, and does not go to for refuge to the Saṅgha, which of those truths does he seek?’

7.93念藏王子隨後以真實加持的力量看著魔失念魔。[F.152.b] 他才一看,就見到失念魔自然而然地剃了七天的頭髮,自然而然地穿著精細柔軟的袈裟,並且看到他拿著錫杖和缽。失念魔認識到自己自然而然地出家了,拿著錫杖和缽,便對如來德王光說道:「世尊,一個人不皈依佛陀,不皈依法,不皈依僧,那麼他是在尋求那些真理中的哪一個呢?」

7.94“The Blessed One said to him, ‘Muṣitasmṛti, who shaved your head? Who gave you ochre robes? Who gave you an alms bowl and a monk’s staff?’

7.94世尊對他說:「失念魔,誰為你剃除鬚髮?誰給你袈裟?誰給你缽和錫杖?」

“The māra thought, ‘Since I came, nobody shaved my head. Nobody gave me ochre robes, nor an alms bowl and a monk’s staff. I will toss these aside and go.’

「那個魔想道:『既然我來這裡,沒有人為我剃頭,沒有人給我袈裟,也沒有人給我缽和錫杖。我要把這些東西丟掉然後離開。』」

7.95“But however much he wished to toss them aside there, he could not. He then thought, ‘This retinue will criticize me and I will also be ashamed for as long as I stay here. I will thus vanish from here and return to my own place.’ The māra Muṣitasmṛti then vanished from the retinue and returned to his own place.

7.95"但是無論他如何想要丟棄這些東西,卻無法丟棄。他又想道:'這些眷屬會責駡我,我留在這裡也會感到羞愧。我因此要從這裡消失,回到我自己的地方。'魔失念魔就從眷屬中消失了,回到了他自己的地方。

7.96“Śāradvatī­putra, the goddesses of the māra class fled upon seeing the one who had gone forth and said, ‘Who is this person with his head shaven and wearing Dharma robes? The appearance of such unprecedented features might kill us‍—how terrible!’

7.96「舍利弗,魔女們看到這位出家人,就害怕逃離,說道:『這是誰啊?頭被剃光了,穿著法衣?這樣前所未有的奇怪模樣可能會殺死我們——太恐怖了!』」

7.97“He replied to those in his retinue who had spoken thus, ‘Patient ones, I am not a monk. I am the māra Muṣitasmṛti. In order to confuse someone I went before the thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha and the Thus-Gone One transformed me into such a hideous figure.’

7.97「他對那些這樣說的眷屬回答:『忍耐者們,我不是比丘。我是失念魔。為了迷惑某人,我去到如來德王光面前,如來把我變成了這樣醜陋的樣子。』」

7.98“Śāradvatī­putra, [F.153.a] the goddesses of the māra class then said, ‘Only fools wear ochre robes, so why do you thus speak so inconsistently? You have fallen from this abode of māras. Another māra has been born here.’

7.98「舍利弗,那些魔天女於是說:『只有愚蠢的人才穿著土紅色的法衣,你為什麼說話如此前後不一致?你已經從魔界的住處墮落了。這裡又有另一個魔出生了。』」

7.99“Śāradvatī­putra, upon hearing those words, the māra Muṣitasmṛti was anguished and sad, and cried out remorsefully with words of grief. He went to where the thus-gone one Guṇaprabha was and sat before the Blessed One. Then the blessed thus-gone one Guṇarājaprabha performed the magical feat by which the Hell of Incessant Pain was fully revealed. All the hell guardians present there rushed and darted around, bearing iron and brass hammers the size of Mount Sumeru that were flaring, burning, blazing, and completely engulfed in flames. They asked, ‘Where has Muṣitasmṛti gone?’

7.99舍利弗,失念魔聽到那些話後,心中悲傷痛苦,哭喊著發出悔恨和哀傷的言辭。他來到如來德光佛面前,在世尊前坐下。那時世尊如來德王光施展神變威力,讓無間地獄完全顯露出來。所有在場的地獄守衛迅速奔馳移動,手持著如須彌山般大小的鐵錘和銅錘,這些錘子熊熊燃燒、炎火炽盛、完全被火焰吞沒。他們問:「失念魔到哪裡去了?」

7.100“Other hell guardians said, ‘What good is he? We will fill his mouth with these metal hammers that are flaring, burning, blazing, and completely engulfed in flames.’ Others chimed in, ‘Friends, he has gone forth. Since he is liberated from the hells, do not do it!’ Other hell guardians present there rushed and darted around, carrying mountains that were flaring, burning, blazing, and completely engulfed in flames. They asked, ‘Where did Muṣitasmṛti go?’ Others said, ‘What good is he? We will pulverize him with these giant flaming mountains!’ Others chimed in, [F.153.b] ‘Friends, he has gone forth. Since he is liberated from the hells, do not do it!’

7.100其他地獄的獄卒說道:「他有什麼好處?我們要用這些熊熊燃燒、炎炎閃耀、完全被火焰吞沒的金屬錘子填滿他的嘴。」其他獄卒說:「朋友們,他已經出家了。既然他已經從地獄中解脫,就不要這樣做!」其他在那裡的地獄獄卒急速衝動奔馳,背著熊熊燃燒、炎炎閃耀、完全被火焰吞沒的山峰。他們問道:「失念魔去哪裡了?」其他獄卒說:「他有什麼好處?我們要用這些巨大的燃燒山峰把他磨成粉末!」其他獄卒說:「朋友們,他已經出家了。既然他已經從地獄中解脫,就不要這樣做!」

7.101“Others rushed and darted around carrying razor blade-like knives, asking, ‘Where did Muṣitasmṛti go?’ Others said, ‘What good is he? We will flay his body!’ Still others chimed in, ‘Friends, he has gone forth. He is tranquil and gentle. So since he is liberated from the hells, do not do it!’ Others rushed and darted throughout the four directions carrying vases of molten copper on their shoulders, asking, ‘Where did Muṣitasmṛti go?’ Others said, ‘What good is he? We will pour these vases of molten copper into his mouth and thus burn his lips, tongue, heart, small intestine, large intestine, stomach, and anus, forcing it to come out his hind end!’ Others chimed in, ‘Friends, he has gone forth under the teachings of the Blessed One. He is liberated from the hells.’

7.101「其他地獄衛士們衝散跑動,手中拿著像剃刀一樣鋒利的刀刃,問道:『失念魔到哪裡去了?』有的說:『他有什麼好處呢?我們要剝他的皮!』還有的說:『朋友們,他已經出離了。他是寧靜溫和的。既然他已經從地獄中解脫了,就不要這樣做!』還有其他衛士們衝散跑動於四面八方,肩上扛著盛滿熔銅的容器,問道:『失念魔到哪裡去了?』有的說:『他有什麼好處呢?我們要把這些熔銅倒進他的嘴裡,燒焦他的嘴唇、舌頭、心臟、小腸、大腸、胃和肛門,讓它從後面破裂出來!』還有的說:『朋友們,他已經在世尊的教導下出離了。他已經從地獄中解脫了。』」

7.102“Other hell guardians rushed all around carrying many different kinds of weapons in their hands, such as spears, lances, javelins, iron arrows, bhalla arrows, clubs, swords, axes, pikes, and staffs. As they rushed and darted around carrying these weapons, they laughed ‘Hi hi’ and ‘Ha ha,’ whooped, cried out in pain, and made the noise of paṭaha drums; and as experts in wreaking terror, they clenched their teeth, disfigured their hands, [F.154.a] cut off their heads, and contracted their faces with wrinkled brows, yelling, ‘Seize, seize! Strike, strike! Cut, cut! Kill, kill!’ They then asked, ‘Where did Muṣitasmṛti go?’

7.102其他地獄獄卒紛紛奔向四方,手中拿著各種不同的武器,例如槍矛、長槍、標槍、鐵箭、槃陀箭、棍棒、劍、斧頭、戟和杖。他們舞動著這些武器,一邊奔跑一邊發出「嘻嘻」和「哈哈」的笑聲,高聲叫喊,發出痛苦的呼號,敲響跋地鼓的聲音;他們作為製造恐怖的行家,咬緊牙齒,揮舞著拳頭,砍下頭顱,皺著眉頭,面容扭曲,大聲喊叫「抓住、抓住!打、打!砍、砍!殺、殺!」然後問道「失念魔去哪裡了?」

7.103“Others asked, ‘What good is he? We will cut up his body with these weapons drenched with the blood of enemies. We will destroy him! We will smash him to pieces! We will pulverize him! We are the henchmen of the Lord of Death!’ Others chimed in, ‘Friends, he has gone forth. Since he is liberated from the perils of hell, do not attack!’

7.103「其他地獄衛士說:『他有什麼好的?我們要用這些沾滿敵人血液的武器割裂他的身體。我們要摧毀他!我們要把他砸成碎片!我們要把他碾成粉末!我們是死神的僕人!』其他地獄衛士則說:『朋友們,他已經出家了。既然他已經解脫了地獄的危難,就不要攻擊他!』」

7.104“Muṣitasmṛti then thought, ‘Hearing of such violence directed against myself, it is true that I have fallen from that place of māras. I will go forth and that going forth will be of great consequence. Even though hell guardians may pursue me they will not be able to smash me to pieces. If the thus-gone one Guṇaprabha were to allow me to go forth, I would go forth with an exalted intention and be fully liberated from those hells.’ Thinking this, he went to where Prince Smṛtilābha was and expressed that sentiment to him, saying, ‘Prince, I wish to go forth with an exalted intention under the teaching of the Blessed One.’

7.104「失念魔心想:『聽聞如此針對我的暴力,確實我已經從魔的地方墮落了。我要出家,這出家將具有偉大的意義。雖然地獄衛士可能追趕我,但他們將無法把我打得粉碎。如果如來功德光允許我出家,我將以崇高的意願出家,並從那些地獄中完全解脫。』想到這裡,他來到念藏王子的地方,向他表達了這個想法,說:『王子,我希望以崇高的意願在世尊的教導下出家。』」

7.105“Śāradvatī­putra, Prince Smṛtilābha then replied to the māra Muṣitasmṛti, ‘Who gives you going forth? Come, Muṣitasmṛti! Give rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening! Muṣitasmṛti, “going forth in the teaching” does not mean wearing ochre robes. Rather, what is called “going forth” refers to the path by which you should practice. Muṣitasmṛti, on that path you will perceive neither the hells, nor their perils.’ [F.154.b]

7.105舍利弗,念藏王子於是回答魔失念魔說:「誰給你出家?來吧,失念魔!生起無上正等覺的心意吧!失念魔,在教法中出家並不是指穿著赭黃色的袈裟。所謂出家是指你應當修習的道。失念魔,在那條道上,你既不會知覺地獄,也不會知覺地獄的危險。」

7.106“The māra Muṣitasmṛti then gave rise to an exalted intention to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening. With such a discerning focus on the Dharma and thus becoming expert in the Dharma, with his exalted intention he attained acceptance that phenomena are unborn.

7.106魔失念魔於是對心發起無上正等覺的殊勝意樂。他以這樣的方式專注於法而深入了悟法,以他的殊勝意樂而獲得了無生法忍。

7.107“Śāradvatī­putra, Prince Smṛtilābha caused the māra Muṣitasmṛti to give rise to the mind set on unexcelled and perfect awakening and acquire acceptance that phenomena are unborn. The blessed one, the thus-gone one, the worthy one, the perfect buddha Guṇarājaprabha also prophesied that he would reach unexcelled and perfect awakening. Śāradvatī­putra, one should understand that this is the bodhisattvas’ exalted intention, for it is such an excellent exalted intention that enables them to accomplish unexcelled and perfect awakening.

7.107舍利弗,念藏王子使失念魔發起無上正等覺的意,並獲得無生法忍。世尊、如來、應供、正等覺佛功德光佛也授記他將證得無上正等覺。舍利弗,應當了解這就是菩薩的殊勝意願,正是因為有這樣卓越的意願,才能夠成就無上正等覺。

7.108“Śāradvatī­putra, if you have any doubt or hesitation, thinking that the prince from that time called Smṛtilābha was someone else, do not see it like that, Śāradvatī­putra. For, Śāradvatī­putra, at that time it was the bodhisattva Dṛḍhamati himself who was the prince called Smṛtilābha.

7.108「舍利弗,如果你有任何疑惑或猶豫,認為那時候名叫念得的王子是別人,不要這樣想,舍利弗。舍利弗,那時候正是菩薩堅慧本人就是那位名叫念得的王子。

7.109“Śāradvatī­putra, the bodhisattva Smṛtilābha then visited his parents. Having arrived before them, he bowed his head to their feet, sat to one side, and said, ‘Father, Mother, I wish to go forth under the auspices of the blessed one, the thus-gone one, the worthy one, the perfect buddha Guṇarājaprabha.’ Having said so, he then addressed his parents in verse:

7.109舍利弗,菩薩念得王子於是前往拜見他的雙親。到達他們面前後,他向他們的雙足頂禮,坐在一旁,並說道:「父親、母親,我希望在世尊、如來、應供、正等覺佛功德光佛的教法下出家。」說完這番話後,他便用偈頌向雙親開示:

“ ‘The objects of desire were taught by the Victorious One to be impermanent.
「貪欲的對象被勝者說為無常。
I will go forth under the auspices of the Victorious One.
我要在勝者的庇佑下出家。
All happiness will come from that.
一切快樂都將從那裡而來。
You should not try to thwart me! [F.155.a]
你們不應該阻止我!
“ ‘Whether you seek a kingdom and pleasures,
「無論你尋求的是王國和快樂,
Enjoyments and higher realms,
享受和上三界,
Or qualities and wisdom‍—
或是品德和智慧—
Go forth under the teaching of the Knower of the World!
出家吧,在世間解的教導下!
“ ‘That is where generosity and discipline ripen.
「那裡是佈施和戒律成熟的地方。
Right there praise and good birth are found.
就在那裡,讚譽和善生得以成就。
That is where I will create a stable foundation.
那就是我要建立穩固基礎的地方。
Based on that, I will become a king of Dharma!
基於此,我將成為法王!
“ ‘This is the fruit of previous good deeds,
「這是過去善業的果報,
Generosity, and gentleness.
佈施和溫柔。
Now you enjoy their fruits, Father.
現在你享受這些果報了,父親。
Ensure that these fruits remain and go forth!
要讓這些果報持續存在並出家吧!
“ ‘Otherwise, having used it all up you will travel to the unfortunate states‍—
「否則,當你用盡了它,你將前往不幸的境界——
The three lower realms where you will find no leisure.
三個下界,你在那裡找不到閒暇。
And by engaging there in evil deeds,
在那裡從事惡業,
You will not encounter the buddhas.
你將不會遇見諸佛。
“ ‘Whereas those who go forth due to their remaining fruits,
「而那些因為宿業果報而出家的人,
Will practice the Dharma intently.
將會專注修行法。
Leaving behind the eight unfree states,
捨棄八種無閒暇的狀態,
They will gain leisure in the teaching of the buddhas.
他們將在諸佛的教法中獲得閒暇。
“ ‘Upon seeing the buddhas, they will instantly have faith,
「見到諸佛時,他們會立即生起信心,
And with a faithful attitude, they will act respectfully,
以信心的態度,他們將恭敬地行動,
And respectfully practice the Dharma.
恭敬地修持法。
Practicing in accord with Dharma, awakening is attained without hardship.
按照法修持,菩提得以輕易證得。
“ ‘May those who wish to abandon all unfree states,
「願那些希望捨棄一切不自由的境狀的人,
And who abandon evil companions,
並且捨棄惡友的人,
Go forth, the root of virtue,
出家,善根,
In emulation of me today!
今天就像我一樣去效法吧!
“ ‘There are no gods, yakṣas, or kinnaras,
「沒有天神、夜叉、緊那羅,
Nor efforts of gandharvas or nāgas
也不會有乾闥婆或龍的努力能阻礙我
That will thwart me today,
那會今天阻止我,
By telling me, “Do not go forth, but stay in this household!”
藉由告訴我:「不要出家,而要留在這個家庭裡!」
“ ‘I invite here, moreover, all evil deeds,
「而且,我在此邀請所有的惡業,
As they are not able to prevent me.
因為他們無法阻止我。
For instance, it is like how an elephant moves according to its whims,
比如大象一旦掙脫了束縛它的結,就能隨意活動。
Once the tight fetters constraining it have been cut.
一旦緊緊束縛它的結被切斷了。
“ ‘Likewise, having today cut through the tight fetters of wants,
「同樣地,今天已經斷除了緊縛的欲望之結,
And the fetters of their basis, the creepers of craving,
以及結的根本,渴愛的藤蔓,
I will go forth‍—
我要出家──
From that no force will prevent me!’
從那裡沒有任何力量能阻止我!
“Having thus spoken,
「如此說後,
He immediately bowed to his parents’ feet. [F.155.b]
他隨即向父母的雙足頂禮。
They were pleased and out of respect they were not able to prevent him.
他們感到歡喜,出於恭敬之心,無法阻止他。
They said, ‘Go forth under the Victorious One’s teaching!’
他們說:「你去出家,追隨勝者的教法吧!」
“He thus went forth under the auspices of the Victorious One.
他於是在勝者的庇蔭下出家。
Many tens of millions of beings heard him.
許多千萬眾生聽聞了他的教誨。
Amazed with him, they acquired faith,
他們對他感到驚嘆,於是生起了信心,
And out of emulation, went forth in multitudes.
並且出於效法,大批眾生隨之而去。
“His companions that were present there‍—
「當時在場的他的同伴們——
Merchant boys of equal fortune‍—
福德相等的商人之子——
Proclaimed, ‘My, the teaching of the buddhas is vast.’
宣說道:「我佛陀的教法是廣大的。」
Thus many thousands of beings have gone forth.
就這樣,許多千萬的眾生都出家了。
“The king then went forth too,
「那位國王隨後也出家了,」
Giving up the kingdom and his coveted enjoyments.
放棄王國和他珍愛的享樂。
Then eighty-seven quadrillion of his retainers
那時他的八十七兆侍從
Also went forth, following his example.
也都出家了,跟隨他的榜樣。
“Seeing the king go forth,
看到國王出家,
The queen also did the same.
皇后也同樣出家了。
Next, eighty thousand daughters,
其次,八萬個女兒,
Especially devoted to the king, also went forth.
尤其是那些特別恭敬國王的人,也都出家了。
“Out of emulating the valiant Smṛtilābha,
「為了效法勇敢的念得,
They all entered the supreme vehicle.
他們都進入了最高的乘法。
The garland of his praiseworthy qualities was such
他值得讚頌的品格就像花冠一般。
That no one could match that valiant one.
沒有人能匹敵那位英勇的人。

7.127“Śāradvatī­putra, if you think that the king from that time called Kṛtādhikāra was someone else, do not see it like that. For, Śāradvatī­putra, at that time I was the king called Kṛtādhikāra. Prince Smṛtilābha was my son.

7.127「舍利弗,你如果認為當時那位名叫已作權利的國王是別人,不要這樣看待。舍利弗,在那個時代,我就是那位名叫已作權利的國王。念藏王子是我的兒子。

“For a lifespan of twenty-one thousand years,
「有著二萬一千年的壽命,
The king together with his daughters and townsmen
國王與他的女兒和城鎮的人民一起
Practiced pure conduct.
修持清淨行。
Then, when his lifespan had run out, he died.
然後,當他的壽命終盡時,他就去世了。
“At that time, the Teacher was teaching the assembly of monks.
「那時,師正在為比丘大眾說法。
The best among humans smiled‍—
最殊勝的人微笑著——
Right there Buddha Guṇarājaprabha made a declaration
功德光佛當即在那裡做出宣告
About the aspiration that the king had.
關於國王所發的願望。
“He said, ‘The king first practiced pure conduct
「他說:『國王首先修行清淨行
And then entered the most supreme of vehicles.
隨後進入最殊勝的乘。
He will henceforth not travel to unfree states,
他從此以後將不再前往不自由的境地,
But find excellent leisure.
而得到殊勝的閒暇。
“ ‘Having practiced for many eons,
「經過許多劫的修行,
He will pay homage to countless buddhas, [F.156.a]
他將禮敬無數諸佛,
And thus appear in a good eon,
並在善好的劫中出現,
During the time of the Victor, the best among humans Śākya Gomīrāja.
在勝利者、人中最勝釋迦牟尼的時代。
“ ‘The prince and monk Smṛtilābha
「『王子比丘念得
Will then be part of his retinue,
將會成為他的眷屬。
Going forth during the time
在那個時代出家
When Śākya Gomīrāja is the awakened one.
當釋迦牟尼成為覺悟者時。
“ ‘He will practice pure conduct,
他將實踐清淨行,
So that later, when he dies,
這樣一來,當他後來死亡時,
He will also attain a human existence,
他還將獲得人的存在,
And leave relics upon his passing.
並在圓寂時留下舍利。
“ ‘When dwelling during the final days,
「在末法時代住世時,
He will listen to the Dharma of precisely this kind.
他將聽聞這樣的法。
He will spread my teachings‍—
他將傳播我的教法。
The discourses that I preach now.
我現在所宣說的教法。
“ ‘Having utterly purified the unobstructed wisdom of awakening,
「已經徹底淨化了無障礙的覺悟智慧,
The phrases he preaches communicating the supreme vehicle
他說法的言辭,傳達最高乘的內容
Will stay just so, and not change,
將永遠保持不變,
So that later they will be exactly as they had been.
如此,他們日後將完全保持原樣。
“ ‘Those who, upon hearing such a Dharma as this,
「那些聽聞了這樣的法的人,
Become enraptured and faithful,
變得歡喜而具有信心,
Should never doubt that I, the Awakened One,
永遠不應該懷疑我,覺醒者。
Will see them here and make a prediction.
將在此處見到他們,並為他們授記。
“ ‘I, supreme king of Dharma, will see them.
「我,法中至尊的大王,將會看到他們。
Those who have heard me teach the Dharma
聽聞我演說法教的眾生
Will also, when confronted with great peril,
也將在面臨巨大危險時,
Find acceptance of the profound Dharma.
獲得對於深妙法的忍。
“ ‘I predict that monks, nuns, laymen,
「我預言比丘、比丘尼、男居士、
And laywomen, who are intelligent
以及女性在家修行者,具有智慧的
And long for such a Dharma,
並且渴望如此的法,
Will come to the supreme vehicle.’
將會趣向於最上乘。
“Upon teaching this Dharma
「在宣說這個法的時候
Seventy quadrillion beings
七十垓眾生
Attained sublime and supreme vision
證得殊勝清淨的見地
And were predicted by the Victorious One to be steadfast bodhisattvas.”
並被勝者授記為堅定不移的菩薩。

7.140This concludes the seventh chapter.

7.140(結尾)