The Inspiration

靈感

2.1Now, monks, what is this extensive discourse on the Dharma known as The Play in Full?

2.1現在,比丘們,這部廣泛的法教經典叫做《廣大遊戲經》,是什麼呢?

Monks, the Bodhisattva dwelt in the supreme realm of the Heaven of Joy, where he was honored by offerings, received consecration, and was praised and revered by one hundred thousand gods. [8] He had achieved his goal and was elevated by his former aspirations. His intelligence was such that he had attained the entire range of the Buddhadharma. Indeed his eye of wisdom was at once both vast and utterly pure. Radiating with mindfulness, intelligence, realization, modesty, and joyfulness, his mind was extremely powerful. He had mastered the perfections of generosity, discipline, patience, diligence, mental stability, knowledge, and skillful means, and was adept in the fourfold path of Brahmā: great love, great compassion, great joy, and great equanimity. With great awareness, he was free of obscurations and had manifested the vision of wisdom free from attachment. Likewise he had perfected each and every quality of awakening: the applications of mindfulness, the thorough relinquishments, the bases of miraculous power, [F.6.a] the faculties , the powers , the branches of awakening, the path, and the factors of awakening.

比丘們,菩薩住在最殊勝的喜樂天,受到一百萬天神的供養、灌頂、讚美和恭敬。他已經達成了他的目標,被過去的誓願所提升。他的智慧如此廣大,已經獲得了完整的佛法。他的智慧眼既廣博又完全清淨。他的心光照著念、智慧、證悟、謙遜和喜樂,心力極其強大。他已經圓滿了布施、戒律、忍辱、精進、禪定、智慧和方便的波羅蜜,精通梵天的四種行道:大愛、大悲、大喜和大捨。以大覺悟心,他遠離了障礙,顯現了離於執著的智慧視見。同樣地,他已經圓滿了覺悟的各種品質:念住、勤、神足、根、力、覺支、道和覺支。

2.2Sublime signs and marks, indicating his boundless accumulation of merit and wisdom, beautifully adorned the body of the Bodhisattva, who had engaged in proper conduct for a long time. Acting in perfect accordance with his words, his unerring statements were always genuine. At once honest, straightforward, and free of guile, his mind was invincible. Free of pride, conceit, arrogance, fear, and timidity, he was impartial toward all beings.

2.2菩薩的身體莊嚴具足殊勝的相好標記,表現出他無量的福德和智慧的積聚,他長久以來奉行清淨的行為。他言行一致,所說的話語始終真實無誤。他性格誠實、坦率、不存欺詐,心意堅強無敵。他遠離慢心、自矜、傲慢、恐懼和怯懦,對一切眾生都保持著平等心。

2.3The Bodhisattva had paid homage to countless awakened beings, to billions upon billions of buddhas. His loving gaze was revered by billions upon billions of bodhisattvas. Likewise Śakra, Brahmā, Maheśvara, the guardians of the world, gods, nāgas, gandharvas, demigods, garuḍas, kinnaras, and yakṣas, in their multitudes, rejoiced in his glory.

2.3菩薩已經禮敬了無數位覺悟者,億億位佛陀。他慈悲的目光受到億億位菩薩們的尊敬。同樣地,釋提桓因、梵天、大自在天、四大天王、天神、龍、乾闥婆、阿修羅、金翅鳥、緊那羅和夜叉,他們無數的眾多,都為他的榮耀而歡喜。

2.4Having perfectly discerned their every word, the Bodhisattva’s learned understanding of the teachings was at once unimpeded, discerning, and perfect. He was an unerring vessel of mindfulness, able to recall the teachings of all the buddhas. The number of dhāraṇīs he had received was infinite. The Bodhisattva was the great captain of the vessel of the Dharma, which he had perfectly accomplished through the applications of mindfulness, the thorough relinquishments, the bases of miraculous power, the faculties , the powers , the branches of awakening, the path, the perfection of knowledge, the precious quality of skillful means, and merit. With the intention to travel beyond the four rivers, he conquered Māra, subdued hostile forces, and defeated all of his opponents. Indeed he set himself at the frontlines and destroyed the enemy hordes of the afflictions with the firm vajra weapon of supreme wisdom. [F.6.b]

2.4菩薩完全領悟了他們的每一句話,他對教法的學問理解既不受阻礙、又能洞察、更是圓滿的。他是念住的無誤法器,能夠憶持所有諸佛的教導。他所獲得的陀羅尼數量無有邊際。菩薩是法船的大船長,他已經通過念住、勤、神足、根、力、覺支、道、般若波羅蜜、方便這個珍貴品質以及福德而完美地成就了它。懷著超越四河的意念,他征服了魔,降伏了敵對力量,戰勝了所有的對手。他確實身先士卒,用至高智慧這個堅固的金剛杵摧毀了煩惱的敵軍。

2.5This great being was like a lotus. Having a stem of great compassion deeply rooted in the mind of awakening, this lotus was born of superior intention. It was sprinkled with the water of profound diligence and had skillful means as its center, branches of awakening for its anthers, and mental stability for its stamen. This lotus arose from an immaculate ocean of a vast accumulation of virtues. Its blossoming petals, illuminated by moonlight free from the torment of pride and arrogance, were pristine. Emitting the scent of discipline, study, and conscientious speech unhindered throughout the ten directions, this lotus was foremost throughout the world in terms of knowledge, [9] yet untainted by the eight worldly concerns. It radiated the sweet fragrance of the accumulation of merit and wisdom, while the sunlight of knowledge and wisdom warmed it, causing the hundred petals of its pure vision to blossom.

2.5這位大士如同蓮花一般。他有著深深植根於菩提心的大悲之莖,這朵蓮花誕生於殊勝的心念。它被精進的水所潤澤,並以方便為中心,以覺支為花蕊,以禪定為蓮蕊。這朵蓮花從廣大德行積累的清淨海洋中生起。它盛開的花瓣,被免除於慢心和傲慢折磨的月光所照耀,純淨無暇。散發著戒律、學習和謹言慎行的芬芳,在十方毫無阻礙地傳播,這朵蓮花在世界上以智慧而居首位,然而不為八風所染。它放射著福德和智慧積累的甘美香氣,而知識和智慧的陽光溫暖著它,使其百瓣清淨眼識之蓮開花綻放。

2.6The Bodhisattva was a lion among men. Swift and strong were his four bases of miraculous power, just as the claws and fangs of the four noble truths were extremely sharp. He bared the fangs of the four communions with Brahmā and gathered others through the four ways of attraction with his head. With a well-proportioned body, due to having understood the twelve links of dependent origination, and a flowing mane of the complete perfection of the thirty-seven factors of awakening, along with awareness and wisdom, his mouth opened with the three gateways to liberation, while his eyes indicated the utter purity of tranquility and insight . He dwelt in the mountain caves of mental stability, complete liberation, absorption, and deep meditation. Born of the jungles of the four activities and discipline, he was endowed with the ten powers, the fourfold fearlessness, and perfect might. The hairs on his body did not bristle with the fear of creation and destruction, nor did his valor ever diminish. He subdued the masses of extremists, who are like rabbits and deer, [F.7.a] letting out the great lion’s roar of no self.

2.6菩薩是人中獅子。他的四種神足輕捷而強大,如同四聖諦的爪牙一般銳利無比。他張開四梵住的獠牙,以頭顱聚集眾生,以四攝事來吸引他們。他的身體勻稱得當,是因為深刻理解了十二因緣;他的鬃毛飄逸蓬勃,是圓滿具足三十七道品的表現,智慧與覺悟融為一體。他的口張開著三解脫門,眼睛顯示著止觀的究竟清淨。他棲居於禪定、究竟解脫、三昧和深度禪定的山洞中。他生自四種事業與戒律的叢林,具備了十力、四無所畏和圓滿的威力。他身上的毛髮不會因生死輪迴而豎立,他的勇氣也永不衰減。他降伏了那些如兔子和鹿般的外道眾生,發出了無我的大獅子吼。

2.7As the sun of great beings, light rays of knowledge radiated from the orb of his liberation and concentration, dispelling the light of the swarms of extremists, who are like fireflies, and eliminating the darkness and obscuring film of ignorance. Indeed, with brilliant strength and diligence, the radiant majesty of his merit shone brightly among gods and humans.

2.7如同大士之日輪,智慧光明從他的解脫與禪定之輪放射而出,驅散如螢火蟲般的外道群眾的光芒,消除無明的黑暗與遮蔽之膜。實在地,以燦爛的力量與精進,他福德的光輝威勢在天神和人類中閃耀發光。

2.8As the light of the moon, there was no darkness within him; he perfectly embodied all that is wholesome. The sight of him was beautiful to behold and pleasing to the mind, and his eye faculty was unobstructed. Adorned by the constellations of one hundred thousand gods, the moonlight of the soothing branches of awakening radiated from this sphere of concentration, liberation, and wisdom, causing the lilies among humans and gods to bloom.

2.8他如月光般澄澈,內心沒有黑暗;他完美地具足一切善法。看到他令人感到美好和愉悅,他的眼根沒有障礙。由一百千位天神如星宿般環繞裝飾,舒適的覺支如月光從他的禪定、解脫和智慧之體輻射而出,使得人類和天神中的蓮花得以盛開。

2.9The Great Bodhisattva was followed by a fourfold retinue, like the moon by the four continents, and he was endowed with the jewels of the seven branches of awakening. He engaged all beings equally and possessed an unimpeded analytical capacity. His intention was enhanced by the sublime and perfectly complete austerities and spiritual practices that he observed on the path of the ten virtuous activities. As the king of Dharma, he turned the precious wheel of the supreme Dharma without hindrance, having been born into a line of universal monarchs.

2.9這位偉大的菩薩被四眾眷屬所跟隨,如同月亮被四大洲環繞一般,他具足了七覺支的珍寶。他平等對待一切眾生,並具有無礙的分別智慧。他的心念由崇高而圓滿究竟的苦行和修行所加持,這些修行是沿著十善業的道路進行的。作為法王,他無礙地轉動最上法的輪寶,出身於轉輪王的血脈。

2.10Filled with all the precious teachings, including that of dependent origination, so profound and difficult to fathom, he never tired of study. Thus his boundless wisdom had become vast and all-encompassing. His discipline was beyond measure as well. Indeed his mind was as vast as the oceans and the earth. Equal to earth, water, fire, and air, [10] his mind was as firm and unmoving as Mount Meru. He was free from attachment and aversion, with a mind as pristine and open as the center of space; it was vast and unlike any other. His superior intent was utterly pure. [F.7.b] His acts of generosity were done well, as were his previous endeavors and his superior deeds.

2.10他充滿了所有珍貴的教法,包括極其深奧難以理解的緣起法,對於學習從不厭倦。因此他無邊的智慧變得廣大而包容一切。他的戒律也是無法衡量的。確實,他的心如同海洋和大地一樣廣闊。他的心平等於地、水、火、風,堅固不移如須彌山。他遠離執著和瞋恨,心靈清淨開放如虛空的中心;心量廣大獨一無二。他的殊勝心念完全清淨。他的布施行為做得很好,他之前的努力和殊勝的事業也都如此。

2.11He sought out all basic virtues and had formed positive habitual tendencies. Ascertaining the basic virtues, he practiced all such virtues for seven incalculable eons. He practiced the seven forms of generosity and engaged in the five types of action that create merit, just as he tread the path of the ten virtues‍—the three physical, the four verbal, and the three mental wholesome actions‍—and practiced the forty kinds of correct application. Likewise did he make the forty kinds of correct aspiration, immerse himself in the forty kinds of right intention, perfect the forty kinds of liberation, and erect the forty kinds of right interest.

2.11他尋求所有基本功德,並形成了正向的習氣。他確認了基本功德後,在七個不可計數的劫中修習了所有這些德行。他修習了七種施捨,參與了五種功德行,就如同他踐行十善的道路——三種身體善業、四種言語善業和三種心念善業——並修習了四十種正確勵行。同樣地,他發起了四十種正確發願,沉浸於四十種正確意圖,完成了四十種解脫,並樹立了四十種正確興趣。

He took ordination with four million buddhas and presented five and a half million buddhas with offerings. Similarly the Bodhisattva served 1,540 million solitary buddhas. Establishing innumerable sentient beings on the paths to the higher realms and liberation, he desired to become perfectly and completely awakened, to attain supreme, genuine, and complete awakening.

他在四百萬尊佛面前出家受戒,並向五百五十萬尊佛供養。同樣地,這位菩薩也侍奉了十五億四千萬位辟支佛。他安立無量眾生於善道與解脫之道,他渴望成就完全覺悟,證得最上、真實、圓滿的菩提。

2.12With only one lifetime remaining, he passed away and was reborn in the supreme realm of the Heaven of Joy as a supreme divine child named Śvetaketu. The assembly of gods showed him great reverence, honoring him as one who would leave their midst and take birth in the human world, where before long he would become the Buddha, attaining perfect, complete, and unexcelled awakening.

2.12只剩一生的壽命,他便捨壽往生,在喜樂天的至高天界中,以白淨這個至尊神童的名號重新誕生。諸天神的集會對他表示了極大的敬禮,尊敬他將要離開天界,降生到人間世界,在不久的將來,他就會成為佛,證得完整圓滿的無上正等正覺。

2.13He dwelt in a celestial palace with 32,000 floors, adorned with verandas, domes, architraves, skylights, cool pavillions, multiple stories, and courtyards. [F.8.a] This palace was filled with parasols, flags, and streaming banners; it was covered by canopies of tiny jeweled bells and strewn with māndārava and mahāmāndārava flowers. The songs of millions upon millions of celestial maidens could be heard throughout. [11] Its enchanting, even grounds were covered with golden canopies and filled with various trees, such as mountain ebonies, campakas, trumpet vines, orchids, muchalindas, mahāmuchalindas, aśokas, banyans, persimmon trees, narras, karṇikāras, kesaras, sāls, and coral trees. In every direction there were flowered canopies, overflowing with jyotiṣ, mālikas, barasikas, taraṇīs, sumanas, bali, kotaranis, and other sweet-smelling flowers. Likewise there were danukari flowers, celestial flowers, blue lotuses, pink lotuses, water lilies, and white lotuses. Various birds flew through the air, singing out their beautiful melodies. Among them were parrots, śārikas, cuckoos, geese, peacocks, ducks, pheasants, snipe, partridge, and many others.

2.13他住在一座三萬二千層的天宮中,有著迴廊、圓頂、梁柱、天窗、清涼亭閣、多重樓層和庭院的裝飾。這座宮殿裡充滿了傘蓋、旗幟和飄動的旌幡;上面覆蓋著珠寶鈴鐺的華蓋,灑滿了曼陀羅華和摩訶曼陀羅華。數百萬天女的歌聲在其中回蕩。其迷人而平坦的地面覆蓋著金色華蓋,充滿了各種樹木,如山檀木、金色花樹、喇叭花藤、蘭花、龍樹、摩訶龍樹、無憂樹、榕樹、柿樹、檀香木、金色花樹、金色樹、娑羅樹和珊瑚樹。四面八方都有開滿鮮花的華蓋,盛開著毘笑花、鬘花、跋羅斯花、跋羅尼花、善意天花、跋利花、鼔多羅尼花和其他芬芳的花朵。同樣還有彈雨花、天花、青蓮華、紅蓮華、睡蓮和白蓮華。各種飛鳥在空中飛翔,唱著優美的旋律。其中有鸚鵡、舍利迦鳥、杜鵑、大雁、孔雀、鴨子、雉雞、鷸、鶉雞和許多其他鳥類。

2.14Millions upon millions of gods turned their eyes toward the palace and gazed at it in awe. The great and vast Dharma was proclaimed throughout, and thereby the force of their enthusiastic desire subdued all the afflictions, eliminating pride, conceit, arrogance, aggression, rage, and anger, and bringing about happiness, well-being, joy, and mindfulness on a vast scale.

2.14無數的天神都轉向宮殿,以敬畏的目光注視著它。偉大而廣博的法在四處宣揚,由此強大的精進力量制伏了所有的煩惱,消除了慢心、自高、傲慢、侵害、狂暴和瞋恨,帶來了廣泛的幸福、安樂、喜樂和正念。

The Bodhisattva dwelt comfortably in this great celestial palace, where a discourse on the genuine Dharma emerged amid a symphony of 84,000 musical instruments. From their sound, the following verses of inspiration arose, telling of the many virtuous deeds that the Bodhisattva carried out in times past:

菩薩安樂地住在這座偉大的天宮裡,在八萬四千樂器的樂曲聲中,真正的法教應運而生。從這些樂器的聲音中,涌現出以下啟發性的偈頌,述說菩薩在過去時代所進行的許多福德行為。

“Recall the power of your vast store of merit
「憶念你廣大的福德資糧之力
And the illuminating knowledge of your boundless intelligence, [F.8.b]
以及你無邊智慧所發的照明智慧,
Peerless strength, and great power.
無與倫比的力量,以及偉大的能力。
Recall the prophecy of Dīpaṃkara.
憶念燃燈的授記。
“With a mind free from the vast range of impurities,
「以清淨無有廣大雜染的心,
You have pacified conceit and flaws, relinquishing the three stains,
你已經平息了自大和過失,放棄了三毒,
While your virtuous heart is at once pristine and free from fault.
你的品德之心既純潔無暇,也遠離過失。
Bring to mind your generous deeds of times past.
憶念你過去的慷慨布施之行。
“You have cultivated tranquility and discipline,
「你已經修習止和毘缽舍那,
Practiced austerities and patience, subdued and diligent.
修行苦行與忍辱,調伏身心而精進。
With concentration and the strength of knowledge,
用定和智慧的力量,
Bring to mind all the deeds you engaged in over billions of eons.
憶念起你在無數劫中所進行的一切善業。
“You developed compassion for all sentient beings
你對所有眾生培養了慈悲。
And made offerings to billions of buddhas.
並且向數十億位佛作供養。
Remember, do not forget, you who are of infinite renown!
要牢記,不要忘記,你這位名聞無邊的人!
Now the time has come‍—do not let it slip away!
現在時機已經來到了——不要讓它溜走!
“Immaculate One, destroyer of the afflictions, birth, and death:
「清淨者,摧滅煩惱、生、死者:
Gods, nāgas, yakṣas, gandharvas,
天神、龍、夜叉、乾闥婆,
And the powerful demigods await you.
而且強大的阿修羅正在等待你。
You who know the way of death and passing away, take rebirth.
你知曉死亡和衰敗之道,請再次降生。
“Even enjoying pleasurable things for thousands of eons
「即使享受快樂的事物數千劫
Will not satisfy them, just as saltwater will not slake one’s thirst.
就像鹹水無法解渴一樣,也無法令他們滿足。
Now that you yourself are sated, be kind;
既然你自己已經滿足,就要善待他人;
Please satisfy those who have thirsted for so long.
請滿足那些長久以來一直口渴的眾生。
“Are you not one of untarnished reputation
「你難道不是一個名聲清白的人嗎
Who takes delight in the Dharma, not desire? [12]
誰會在法中喜悅,而不貪著呢?
And furthermore your eyes are unblemished,
而且你的眼睛是清淨無瑕的,
So now please look with compassion upon the world with its gods.
所以現在請以慈悲心看待這個充滿天神的世界。
“Were the millions of gods not satisfied
「難道數百萬的天神不滿足
Upon hearing the Dharma from you?
從你那裡聽聞法後,還未得到滿足嗎?
So now please cast your gaze upon those who dwell
現在請將您的目光投向那些居住的眾生
In the lower realms, those who have no freedom.
在惡道中,那些沒有自由的眾生。
“With your mighty, unblemished gaze, have you not observed
「以你那強大無垢的目光,難道你沒有觀察到
The buddhas throughout the ten directions of the world,
十方世界的諸佛,
Listening to them as they teach the Dharma?
聆聽他們傳講最上法?
Please therefore reveal this supreme Dharma to the world.
因此,請將這最上法向世界顯露吧。
“Glorious One, do you not adorn the palace in the Heaven of Joy
「尊貴者,你難道不是用你的福德光輝裝飾喜樂天的宮殿嗎
With the splendor of your merit?
用你的福德光輝來莊嚴?
So please, with the heart of compassion,
所以請您以慈悲的心,
Rain down upon Jambudvīpa.
普降甘霖於贍部洲。
“Many gods of the realm of form,
「許多色界的天神,
Who have transcended the realm of desire,
已超越欲界的
Are all rejoicing in you, saying, [F.9.a]
都在為你歡喜,說:「通過你的苦行而証得覺悟吧!」
‘Reach awakening through your austerities!’
「通過你的苦行達到覺悟!」
“Protector, you are to conquer the works of Māra
「保護者,你要克服魔的作為
And bring defeat to the extremists.
並擊敗外道。
Has awakening not been placed in the palm of your hand?
覺悟不是已經放在你的手心裡了嗎?
The time has now come‍—do not let it slip away!
時機已經來臨——不要讓它流逝了!
“Courageous One, like a great bank of clouds,
「勇敢者啊,如同浩瀚的雲堆,
You cover this world that blazes with the fire of afflictions.
你遮蓋了這個被煩惱之火熊熊燃燒的世界。
Please send down a shower of nectar
請降下甘露的雨水
And soothe the afflictions of gods and humans.
並撫慰天神和人類的煩惱。
“Like a skilled doctor who knows the constitutions of his patients,
「如同一位有能力的醫生,了解他的患者的體質,」
You dispense medicine to those who are chronically ill.
你向那些患有慢性疾病的人施予藥物。
With the healing salve of the threefold liberation,
用三解脫的療癒之膏,
Bring these beings swiftly to the blissful state of nirvāṇa.
迅速將這些眾生帶到涅槃的樂之境界。
“Not hearing the lion’s roar,
「沒有聽到獅子的吼聲,
Jackals yelp without fear.
豺狼肆意嘲吠,毫無懼色。
Let forth the lion’s roar of the buddhas,
讓諸佛的獅子吼聲傳揚開來,
Striking fear into the hearts of the jackal-like extremists.
擊碎像豺狼一樣的外道心中的恐懼。
“Holding the lamp of knowledge in your hand,
「手持智慧之燈,
You have a power of strength and diligence unique upon the earth.
你具有獨特於大地的力量與精進。
Now you must defeat Māra,
現在你必須戰勝魔。
Touching the earth with the perfect palm of your hand.
用完美的手掌觸摸大地。
“The four guardians of the world are present,
「四大天王已經現身,
Waiting to offer you an alms bowl.
等待著為你獻上缽。
Śakra, Brahmā, and millions of others are present as well,
釋提桓因、梵天及數百萬眾生也都在場。
Waiting to receive you when you take birth.
等待在你生時迎接你。
“You with sublime wisdom, you whose line is great indeed,
「具足無上智慧的聖者啊,你的血脈確實偉大非凡,」
Cast your gaze upon the great family with whom you will live.
將你的目光投向你將要生活在其中的偉大家族。
Observe the precious, exalted family among whom you will take birth, [13]
觀看你將投生其中的那個珍貴、崇高的家族。
For this is where you will manifest the conduct of a bodhisattva.
因為這裡就是你將展現菩薩行為的地方。
“When a precious jewel is placed in the right vessel,
「當珠寶放在正確的器皿裡時,
It makes the jewel even more glorious.
使得珠寶更加光彩奪目。
Likewise let your pristine mind, like a precious jewel,
同樣地,讓你清淨的心,如同珠寶一般,
Rain down upon the victory banner of Jambudvīpa.”
降落在贍部洲的勝利幢之上。
Thus did the melodious sounds
就這樣悅耳的聲音
Of many verses such as these spring forth,
許多像這樣的詩句紛紛湧現,
Exhorting the Compassionate One with the words:
以這些話語勸勉慈悲者:
“The time is now‍—do not let it slip away!”
「現在正是時候——不要讓它流逝!」

2.35This concludes the second chapter, on the inspiration.

2.35(結尾)