The Translation

[F.282.b]

1.1Respectful homage to the noble Three Jewels!

1.1恭敬頂禮尊貴的三寶!

1.2Thus did I hear at one time. The Blessed One was dwelling in Śrāvastī, in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍada’s Park. At that time the god Candramas was seized by Rāhu, lord of the asuras. Then the god Candramas, [F.283.a] recollecting and taking the Blessed One to heart, recited this verse:

1.2我聽說過這樣的事。世尊當時住在舍衛城,在給孤獨園中。那時月天子被阿修羅之主羅睺抓住了。月天子想起世尊,將世尊放在心中,誦出了這首偈頌:

“I bow to the heroic Buddha.
我頂禮英勇的佛陀。
May you swiftly liberate all beings!
願你迅速解脫一切眾生!
As I have come into confinement
我已陷入困頓之中
I take refuge in you.”
我皈依你。

1.4Then the Blessed One, for the sake of the god Candramas, addressed Rāhu, lord of the asuras, with this verse:

1.4於是,世尊為了月天子的緣故,以此偈語對阿修羅之主羅睺說道:

“Since buddhas have compassion for the world,
「因為佛陀對世界懷有慈悲心,」
Candramas took refuge
月天子皈依了。
In the Worthy One, the Tathāgata;
在阿羅漢、如來當中。
Therefore, Rāhu, set the moon free!”
因此,羅睺,放開月亮吧!

1.6Thereupon Rāhu, lord of the asuras, set the god Candramas free and hurriedly approached Vemacitra, lord of the asuras. He then sat to one side, displeased, agitated, and with all his body hairs bristling. Vemacitra, lord of the asuras, now questioned Rāhu, lord of the asuras, in verse:

1.6於是,阿修羅之主羅睺釋放了月天子,匆匆走近阿修羅之主毗摩質多羅。他坐在一旁,不悅、煩躁,全身汗毛豎立。阿修羅之主毗摩質多羅現在用偈語詢問阿修羅之主羅睺:

“Why, Rāhu, did you release
"羅睺啊,你為什麼要釋放月天子?月天子如此驚恐?"
The moon in such a fright?
月亮如此受驚?
You are a very miserable sight.
你現在看起來非常狼狽。
Why did you approach in fear?”
你為什麼害怕地靠近?

1.8Rāhu replied:

1.8羅睺回答道:

“Had I, hearing the Buddha’s verse,
「我若聽到佛陀的偈頌,
Not then released the moon
那時沒有放開月亮
My head would have split into seven pieces
我的頭會裂成七塊。
And my life would be without happiness.”
我的生命將永遠沒有幸福。

1.10This concludes “The Sūtra of the Moon.”

1.10(結尾)