The Translation

[F.287.a]

1.1Homage to all buddhas and bodhisattvas.

1.1恭敬禮敬一切佛陀和菩薩。

Thus did I hear at one time. The Blessed One was staying among the gods of the Heaven of the Thirty-Three for the benefit of his mother. He was seated in front of the Pāriyātra tree upon the Pāṇḍukambala rock. There was a god there experiencing the five ominous signs of death: his garlands had withered, his clothes had started to deteriorate, his body had started to smell, sweat dripped from his armpits, and he felt unhappy on his seat. This god foresaw his rebirth in the womb of a pig in Vaiśālī, causing him to be overcome with misery and cry out in woe. He beat his chest as he wept uncontrollably.

我是這樣聽聞的。當時,世尊為了利益他的母親,住在三十三天。他坐在波利耶多羅樹前的白石座上。有一位天神出現了死亡的五種不祥徵兆:他的花冠已經枯萎,衣服開始破損,身體發出臭味,腋下滲出汗水,他在座位上感到不快樂。這位天神預見自己將輪迴轉生為毘舍離的豬胎,因此被極度的痛苦所淹沒,發出哀號聲。他邊哭邊捶著自己的胸膛,哭得難以自抑。

1.2Another god approached him and asked, “Deva, is it death that you fear?”

1.2另一位天神走近他,問道:「天人啊,你害怕的是死亡嗎?」

“Indeed, fellow deva,” he responded, “it is death that I fear. Why? Well, fellow deva, I have eaten divine foods, imbibed divine drinks, and worn divine garments here among the gods of the Heaven of the Thirty-Three. Thus, as I behold my rebirth in the womb of a pig in Vaiśālī, I see that I will eat excrement and be killed by a blade. These are the reasons, fellow deva, that I fear death.”

「確實如此,天人朋友,」他回答道,「我確實害怕死亡。為什麼呢?天人朋友,我在三十三天中享受過天界的食物,飲用過天界的飲料,穿著過天界的衣服。因此,當我看到自己將輪迴投生到毘舍離的豬腹中時,我看到自己將要吃糞便,被刀刃所殺。天人朋友,這些就是我害怕死亡的原因。」

1.3“Do not be afraid of death, my fellow deva! Why? Well, fellow deva, the Blessed One‍—the thus-gone, worthy, perfect Buddha‍—is residing here in the Heaven of the Thirty-Three for the benefit of his mother. He is seated in front of the Pāriyātra tree upon the Pāṇḍukambala rock. Deva, you should by all means pay homage to the Blessed One. He will come here to save you from the lower realms. Why? Fellow deva, the blessed Buddha has great compassion and never forsakes beings.” [F.287.b]

1.3「不要害怕死亡,我的天人朋友!為什麼呢?天人啊,世尊——如來、應供、正遍知佛陀——正住在三十三天,為了利益他的母親。他坐在波利耶多羅樹前的白石座上。天人啊,你一定要向世尊禮敬。他會來這裡拯救你免墮下道。為什麼呢?天人啊,這位殊勝的佛陀具有大慈悲心,永遠不會捨棄眾生。」

1.4The god then rose from his seat, draped his upper robe over one shoulder, and knelt on his right knee. With his palms joined, he bowed in the direction of the Blessed One and repeated this entreaty three times:

1.4那位天人於是起身離座,將上衣搭在一肩,右膝跪地。雙手合掌,朝著世尊的方向頂禮,並三次重複懇請:

1.5“Homage to the blessed Thus-Gone One! Homage to the blessed Thus-Gone One! Out of love for me, may the Blessed One please come here and save me from the lower realms!”

1.5「敬禮世尊如來!敬禮世尊如來!懇請世尊出於對我的慈悲,來此拯救我脫離下道!」

1.6Aware of the sincere intent of that god, the Blessed One went to him and sat upon a seat that had been prepared. After taking his seat, the Blessed One asked that god, “Deva, is it death that you fear?”

1.6世尊察覺到那位天人的誠摯心意,便前往見他,坐在為他準備好的座位上。世尊坐定後,問那位天人說:「天人啊,你害怕的是死亡嗎?」

1.7“Indeed, Blessed One,” the god responded, “I am afraid to die. Why? Because I foresaw my rebirth in the wretched womb of a pig in Vaiśālī. Once reborn there, I will eat excrement and be killed by a blade. That is why, Blessed One, I am afraid to die.”

1.7「是的,世尊,」天人回答說,「我害怕死亡。為什麼呢?因為我預見自己將在毘舍離投生到令人厭惡的豬胎中。一旦投生到那裡,我將吃糞便,並被刀子所殺。世尊,這就是我害怕死亡的原因。」

1.8The Blessed One said, “Deva, do not be afraid of death! Why? Well, deva, it is not the earth and water elements that transmigrate here and there, but rather your own actions. Come here, deva. Take refuge in the Buddha. Take refuge in the Dharma and in the Saṅgha.”

1.8世尊說:「天神,不要害怕死亡!為什麼呢?天神,在輪迴中流轉的並不是土和水這些元素,而是你自己的業行。來吧,天神。皈依佛陀!皈依法和僧伽!」

1.9The god then rose from his seat and addressed the Blessed One: “Yes, Blessed One, I will. I take refuge in the Buddha! I take refuge in the Dharma and in the Saṅgha!”

1.9那位天神從座位上起身,對世尊說道:「是的,世尊,我願意。我皈依佛陀!我皈依法和僧伽!」

1.10The Blessed One responded to the god with the following stanza:

1.10世尊對天人以偈頌回答:

“Those who have taken refuge in the Buddha
「已經皈依佛陀的人
Will be spared transmigrating to the lower realms.
將被免除輪迴到下道。
As they relinquish their divine existence,
當他們放棄天人的身份時,
They will take up a human existence instead.” [F.288.a]
他們將會轉生為人身。」[F.288.a]

1.11The Blessed One then delivered a discourse on the Dharma to the god and ensured that the god retained it. Having inspired the god and filled him with delight, the Blessed One rose from his seat and departed.

1.11世尊隨後為天人傳講了法的開示,並確保天人能夠領受。世尊鼓勵了天人,使他充滿喜悅,然後從座位上起身離開了。

1.12Not long thereafter, the god passed away. He was immediately reborn in the womb of a noble merchant’s wife in Vaiśālī. After nine months had come to pass, an adorable child with a charming appearance and the most exquisite complexion was born. The moment he was born he exclaimed, “Homage to the Buddha! Homage to the Dharma! Homage to the Saṅgha!”

1.12不久之後,那位天人去世了。他隨即投生到毘舍離一位貴族商人妻子的子宮中。經過九個月後,一個可愛的孩子誕生了,他擁有迷人的面容和最精美的膚色。他一出生就大聲說道:「頂禮佛陀!頂禮法!頂禮僧伽!」

1.13At that moment, his parents thought, “This child knows of the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Saṅgha. He possesses knowledge.”

1.13在那時刻,他的雙親心想:「這個孩子認識佛陀、法和僧伽。他具有智慧。」

1.14Once, when this child Jñānaka was around eight years old, he and a group of Licchavi youths, who were in his company, arrived at a crossroads in a park. At that time the Blessed One was staying at a mansion in the great grove of Vaiśālī. At dawn, the Blessed One donned his lower garment, dressed in his robes, picked up his alms bowl, and went to Vaiśālī on an alms round. The child Jñānaka caught sight of the Blessed One, who was handsome, and so forth, up until shining. Filled with joy at seeing the Blessed One, he happily went before the Blessed One and bowed his head to his feet, circled him three times, and sat to one side. Seated to one side, the child Jñānaka spoke to the Blessed One in verse:

1.14當若那迦童子大約八歲時,他和一群與他同行的離車族少年來到公園的十字路口。那時,世尊正住在毘舍離大林的一座宅邸裡。黎明時分,世尊穿上下裳,披上衣服,拿起缽,前往毘舍離乞食。若那迦童子看到世尊容顏端正等等,直到光彩照人。見到世尊後歡喜充滿,他快樂地來到世尊前,頭頂禮拜世尊的雙足,繞行世尊三圈,然後坐在一旁。若那迦童子坐在一旁,用偈頌對世尊說:

“I have recollected a past life
「我已經憶起了過去世的事情
In which the Lord of the World
世尊在其中
Saved me from suffering
救度我脫離苦難
And delivered me from falling to the lower realms.
並且拯救我免於墮入下道。
“Foremost of humans, would you be so kind [F.288.b]
「人中最殊勝者,您是否願意 [F.288.b]
As to accept this gift of alms?
願意接受這份布施的禮物嗎?
Please accept this midday meal today
請今天接受這份午餐的布施。
For having saved me so.
因為你救了我。
“Please think kindly as I invite you
「請您好心地接受我的邀請
To my parents’ home tomorrow.
明天到我父母的家裡。
Together with all of your monks
一起與你所有的僧眾
Please come to partake of a midday meal.”
請來我家明天享受午間的布施。

1.18The Blessed One remained silent, signaling his acceptance of the child Jñānaka’s request. Aware that the Blessed One had accepted by not speaking, the child Jñānaka went before his parents and announced, “Dear father and mother, I offered alms to the Blessed One and have invited him tomorrow for a midday meal.”

1.18世尊保持沉默,表示接受了若那迦小孩的請求。察覺到世尊已經通過不說話而接受了,若那迦小孩走到他的父母面前宣布說:「親愛的父親和母親,我向世尊布施,邀請他明天來用午餐。」

1.19The parents of the child Jñānaka were pleased and rejoiced, full of happiness and delight. Filled with joy and elation, they arranged a spread of delicious foods and tasty delicacies that very night. They had the entire city of Vaiśālī swept clean and strung with silk tassels. They lit incense in incense burners, sprinkled fragrant water, and elegantly scattered flowers. When the night had passed and the appropriate time had come, they went to the Blessed One and said, “Honorable One, Blessed One, it is time for the midday meal. The food is ready.”

1.19若那迦的雙親看到此景,歡喜踊躍,充滿喜悅和快樂。他們欣喜若狂,當晚就準備了豐盛的美味佳餚。他們將毘舍離整座城市打掃得乾乾淨淨,用絲綢繽帶裝飾。他們點燃香爐裡的香,灑上香水,優雅地散布花朵。夜晚過去,適當的時刻到來了,他們來到世尊面前說道:「尊者、世尊,現在是午間供食的時刻了。飯食已經準備好了。」

1.20At dawn, the Blessed One donned his lower garment, dressed in his robes, and picked up his alms bowl. Escorted and encircled by an assembly of monks, he went to the home of Jñānaka’s parents where they sat upon seats that had been prepared for them. Noticing that the Blessed One and the saṅgha of monks were seated, the child Jñānaka brought forth many delicious foods and tasty delicacies, offering them carefully with his own hands. Seeing that the Blessed One had finished his midday meal, he presented a set of cotton robes and a pair of sandals to each member of the saṅgha, and three new robes and a pair of new shoes to the Blessed One. [F.289.a] He scattered gold and silver flowers that, through the power of the Buddha, immediately transformed above the Blessed One’s head into a glistening, elegant mansion with four corners and four rooms. Within this mansion, the child Jñānaka beheld the figure of the Thus-Gone One sitting cross-legged and teaching the Dharma.

1.20清晨時,世尊穿上下衣,披上袈裟,拿起缽。由眾多比丘僧伽護衛圍繞著,他前往若那迦父母的家中,坐在為他們準備好的座位上。見到世尊和比丘僧伽已經坐定,若那迦童子拿出許多美味的食物和可口的佳肴,用自己的雙手恭敬地供養。見到世尊用完了午餐後,他為僧伽的每一位成員獻上一套棉布袈裟和一雙涼鞋,並為世尊獻上三件新袈裟和一雙新鞋。他灑下金銀花朵,藉著佛陀的力量,這些花朵立即在世尊頭頂上方轉化成一座閃閃發光、優雅的樓閣,四角四房。在這座樓閣內,若那迦童子看見如來的身影盤腿而坐,宣說法。

1.21As he observed the Blessed One’s inconceivable form, miracles, and supernatural powers, the child Jñānaka was joyful, elated, and filled with happiness. He said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, I dedicate my roots of virtue to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. May these roots of virtue lead me to awaken, teach the Dharma, and sustain the saṅgha just like the present Blessed One.”

1.21當若那迦見到世尊不可思議的身相、奇跡和神通時,他歡喜踴躍,充滿喜樂。他對世尊說:「世尊,我將我的功德根源迴向於無上圓滿的菩提。願這些功德根源引領我覺悟,宣說法教,並像現在的世尊一樣,護持僧伽。」

1.22Aware of the intent of the child Jñānaka, the Blessed One smiled, and so forth, up until the light dissolved into the crown of his head. The venerable Ānanda saw this and thought to himself, “There is nothing that the Blessed One does without purpose,” and so forth, up until “What is the reason?”

1.22世尊了知若那迦童子的心意,於是微笑,如是乃至光明融入頭頂。尊者阿難見此情景,心想「世尊所做的一切都有其目的」,如是乃至「其中的原因是什麼呢?」

The Blessed One then addressed the venerable Ānanda with these verses:

世尊隨即用偈頌向尊者阿難開示:

“Ānanda, by making offerings to the Thus-Gone One like this,
「阿難,像這樣向如來做供養,
Jñānaka will not fall to lower states for nine hundred million eons.
若那迦在九億劫中不會墮落到下道。
He will, at that point, take rebirth and appear in the world as a guide,
他將在那時輪迴轉生,以引導者的身分出現在世間,
As a buddha by the name of King of Foremost Knowing.
名號為最勝知王佛。
“This exemplary tale of the Buddha delights the learned
「這個佛陀的優秀故事令學者們感到歡喜
And engenders great virtue in the wise people who hear it.
並且在聽聞此經的智者心中生起了極大的善根。
Not so trivial are the results of gifts offered with lucid faith
用清淨的信心奉獻禮物所得的果報是不容小覷的。
To the thus-gone Buddha, who is limitless like the extent of the ocean.”
對於這位如來佛陀,他的廣大如同大海的範圍一樣無邊無際。

1.25After the Blessed One had spoken these words, the child Jñānaka, the monks, [F.289.b] and the world with its gods rejoiced and praised what the Blessed One had taught.

1.25世尊說完這些話後,孩童若那迦、諸位比丘和包括天人在內的世間眾生都感到欣喜,並讚歎世尊所教導的法。

1.26This completes “The Sūtra of Jñānaka: An Exemplary Tale of the Buddha.”

1.26(結尾)