The Translation

[F.210.b]

1.1Homage to all buddhas and bodhisattvas!

1.1向所有佛陀和菩薩敬禮!

1.2Thus did I hear at one time. The Blessed One was dwelling in the Deer Park by the Hill of the Fallen Sages near Vārāṇasī, together with a great saṅgha of twenty thousand worthy monks and twelve thousand bodhisattvas that included the bodhisattva great beings Harisiṃha, Siṃhamati, Su­pratiṣṭhita­buddhi, Anupamamati, Dharaṇīṃdhara, Agnidatta, Varuṇa, Ratnākara, Guhyagupta, Bhadrapāla, Vidyutdeva, Vairocana, Mañjuśrī Kumārabhūta, Jñānākara, Anikṣiptadhura, Amoghadarśin, and the bodhisattva great being Maitreya. Also in attendance were twenty thousand gods who had all entered the Great Vehicle, such as Susīma and Su­pratiṣṭhita­buddhi. [F.211.a] At that time the Blessed One, surrounded and venerated by a retinue of several hundred thousand beings, was teaching the Dharma.

1.2我是這樣聽聞的。那時薄伽梵住在瓦拉納西附近的聖仙墮落山旁的鹿野苑中,與一個龐大的僧伽眾在一起。這個僧伽眾包括兩萬名值得恭敬的比丘和一萬二千名菩薩。其中的菩薩大士有:獅子吼菩薩、獅子心菩薩、善立慧菩薩、無比心菩薩、持陀羅尼菩薩、火施菩薩、水天菩薩、寶海菩薩、秘密護菩薩、賢護菩薩、電光天菩薩、毘盧遮那菩薩、文殊師利童子菩薩、智海菩薩、不棄擔菩薩、不空見菩薩和彌勒菩薩。此外,還有兩萬名已經進入大乘的天神出席,其中包括善思和善立慧等。當時,薄伽梵被數百千眾生所圍繞和恭敬,正在演說法法。

1.3The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha stood up, draped his shawl over one shoulder, and knelt on his right knee. With his palms together, he bowed toward the Blessed One, and inquired of the Blessed One, “If this is an opportune moment for the Blessed One to grant me answers to some questions of mine, may I put them to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha?”

1.3菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩站起身來,將披肩搭在一個肩膀上,並單膝跪地。他雙掌合十,向薄伽梵頂禮,然後向薄伽梵請問說:「如果現在是薄伽梵樂於為我解答問題的合適時刻,我可以向薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者提出我的一些疑問嗎?」

The Blessed One replied to the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha, “Padmaśrīgarbha, it is always opportune for the Thus-Gone One to address your concerns. Padmaśrīgarbha, ask the Thus-Gone One, the worthy, completely perfect Buddha, whatever you wish, and I will address your questions, so that you may feel at ease.”

薄伽梵回答菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩說:「蓮花吉祥藏,如來解答你的疑問,時時都很恰當。蓮花吉祥藏,你儘管問如來、應供、正等覺者你所希望的一切問題吧,我會為你解答,讓你得到安樂。」

1.4The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, how is it that bodhisattva great beings render irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening, come to possess the five types of clairvoyance, and attain the illusory absorption? How is it that, as soon as they attain that absorption, they emanate whatever bodies in whatever way will perfect sentient beings’ roots of virtue, and teach the Dharma according to sentient beings’ inclinations? How do they quickly awaken to unsurpassed and completely perfect buddhahood?”

1.4蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,菩薩大士怎樣才能使自己趨向無上正等菩提的進展不退轉,獲得五通,以及證得幻三昧?他們一旦證得那個三昧,就立即根據眾生的不同需要而示現各種身相,圓滿眾生的善根,並依著眾生的根性而為他們演說法門。他們是怎樣迅速覺悟到無上正等菩提的呢?」

1.5The Blessed One said to the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha, [F.211.b] “Padmaśrīgarbha, excellent! Padmaśrīgarbha, previously you have served the victorious ones, gathered the roots of virtue, and venerated a myriad buddhas. You feel love and compassion for all beings, and that is why you ask the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha about this. That is excellent! Padmaśrīgarbha, therefore, listen well and pay attention. Then I shall explain it to you.”

1.5薄伽梵對菩薩摩訶薩蓮花吉祥藏說道:「蓮花吉祥藏,很好!蓮花吉祥藏,你過去曾經侍奉過勝者,積聚了善根,並且恭敬供養了無數的佛陀。你對所有眾生懷抱著愛與慈悲,正因為如此,你才會向如來、應供、正等覺者請問此事。這非常很好!蓮花吉祥藏,因此你要仔細聆聽,專心注意。我將為你解釋。」

The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha said to the Blessed One, “Wonderful!” and he listened as the Blessed One had directed him.

菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩對薄伽梵說:「太好了!」他按照薄伽梵的指示認真聽聞。

1.6The Blessed One said, “Padmaśrīgarbha, there is one quality that, if bodhisattva great beings possess it, renders irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening, and grants them the five types of clairvoyance and the illusory absorption. Moreover, as soon as they attain that absorption, they emanate whatever bodies in whatever way will perfect sentient beings’ roots of virtue, teach the Dharma according to sentient beings’ inclinations, and quickly awaken to unsurpassed and completely perfect buddhahood.

1.6薄伽梵說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,有一種特質,菩薩大士若具足它,就能使自己對無上正等菩提的進步不可逆轉,並賦予他們五通和幻三昧。而且,一旦他們證得那個三昧,他們就能化現各種身形,以各種方式完善眾生的善根,按照眾生的傾向教授佛法,並迅速覺悟到無上正等菩提。」

“What is that single quality? Padmaśrīgarbha, those bodhisattvas must not abide anywhere in the three realms, neither abiding internally nor externally. As they do not abide, they will see reality. As they see reality, they will unite with reality. As they unite with reality, nothing will impede their mind. As nothing impedes their mind, they will engage in authentic conduct.

"那個單一的特質是什麼呢?蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那些菩薩不應該在三界中任何地方安住,既不在內部安住,也不在外部安住。因為他們不安住,他們將看見真如。因為他們看見真如,他們將與真如相合一。因為他們與真如相合一,沒有任何東西會障礙他們的心。因為沒有任何東西障礙他們的心,他們將實踐真實行。"

1.7“What does it mean to engage in authentic conduct? It is as follows. [F.212.a] All phenomena arise in dependence. There is no phenomenon that can remain constantly. All phenomena arise from circumstances. There is no phenomenon that arises without circumstances. Any phenomenon that arises in dependence is unborn. Therefore all phenomena are unborn. To realize that all phenomena are unborn is to know how to practice the bodhisattva’s path. In this way, one attains the basis for benefiting all beings and can proceed with a compassionate outlook. With such conviction, one comes to understand that all phenomena are illusory. All phenomena are magically manifest because they are imputed. Those imputations are also utterly empty. The realization that all phenomena are empty is the attainment of the illusory absorption.

1.7「什麼是真實行?如下所述。所有法都是依緣而起。沒有任何法能夠常住不變。所有法都是由因緣而生。沒有任何法是無因無緣而生的。任何依緣而起的法都是無生的。因此所有法都是無生的。認識到所有法都是無生,就是明白如何修習菩薩之道。這樣,你就獲得了利益一切眾生的基礎,並能以慈悲的態度去進行。具有這樣的信念,人就會明白所有法都是幻的。所有法都是因為被假立而魔術般地顯現。那些假立本身也是完全空無的。認識到所有法都是空的,就是證得了幻三昧。」

“As soon as one attains this absorption, one emanates whatever bodies in whatever way will perfect sentient beings’ roots of virtue, and one teaches the Dharma according to sentient beings’ inclinations. In this way, one quickly awakens to unsurpassed and completely perfect buddhahood.”

「一旦獲得這個幻三昧,就能化現任何身形,以任何方式來圓滿眾生的善根,按照眾生的根機來宣說法,如此便能迅速覺悟到無上正等菩提。」

1.8The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, is there any bodhisattva great being here in this gathering who has attained this illusory absorption?”

1.8菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,這個集會中有沒有菩薩大士已經證得這個幻三昧?」

“Padmaśrīgarbha,” replied the Blessed One, “there are sixty holy beings here in this gathering who intentionally wear the armor and who have attained the illusory absorption. There are sixty holy beings, including the bodhisattva great beings Maitreya and Mañjuśrī Kumārabhūta, who have attained this illusory absorption.”

「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,」薄伽梵回答說,「這個法會中有六十位聖者,他們刻意披上盔甲,已經證得幻三昧。包括彌勒菩薩和文殊師利童子菩薩在內的六十位菩薩大士,已經證得這個幻三昧。」

1.9Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, did these holy beings [F.212.b] attain this illusory absorption here in this world? Or did these holy beings attain this illusory absorption in some other realm?”

1.9蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,這些聖者是在此世界中證得幻三昧呢?還是在其他世界中證得幻三昧呢?」

The Blessed One answered, “Padmaśrīgarbha, to the west of this buddha realm, passing through one trillion buddha realms, there is a realm known as Sukhāvatī. Right now the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha resides there, flourishes there, lives there, and teaches the Dharma. In his buddha realm live the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta, both of whom have attained this absorption. Padmaśrīgarbha, it is from conversations lasting seven days with those two holy beings that other bodhisattva great beings attain this illusory absorption.”

薄伽梵回答說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,在這個佛國土的西方,超越一兆個佛國土,有一個名叫極樂世界的領域。如今去來成就者、應供者、正等覺者阿彌陀佛住在那裡,興盛在那裡,生活在那裡,並教導法。在他的佛國土中住著菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩,他們兩位都已證得這個三昧。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,其他菩薩大士正是通過與這兩位聖者持續七天的法談,而證得這個幻三昧的。」

1.10The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, there must be many bodhisattva great beings who attained the illusory absorption in that buddha realm. Blessed One, the reason is that the bodhisattva great beings who are born in that buddha realm can engage in Dharma conversations with those two holy beings without any effort.”

1.10蓮花吉祥藏菩薩對薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,那個佛國土中必定有許多菩薩大士獲得了幻三昧。薄伽梵,原因是生在那個佛國土中的菩薩大士能夠毫不費力地與那兩位聖者進行法的對話。」

“Padmaśrīgarbha, it is exactly as you say,” said the Blessed One. “The bodhisattva great beings who abide there within the illusory absorption are indeed limitless and countless.”

薄伽梵說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,正如你所說。住在幻三昧中的菩薩大士確實是無限無數的。」

1.11The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha implored the Blessed One, “Blessed One, [F.213.a] thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, please use your miraculous powers to show a mental sign by which the two holy beings will come to this Sahā world, and the whole Sukhāvatī world together with the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha will also arrive here in this world. The reason is, Blessed One, that if those two holy beings come to this buddha realm, the sons and daughters of noble family who follow the vehicle of the bodhisattvas will perfect their roots of virtue. They will hear the Dharma talks of those two holy beings, and they, too, will thereby attain the illusory absorption. Here in this buddha realm they will be able to behold Sukhāvatī as well as the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha. Witnessing that, the sons and daughters of noble family will arouse the mind of unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. They will make aspirations to be born in that buddha realm and, as soon as they are born there, they will render irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening.”

1.11菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏向薄伽梵懇請說:「薄伽梵、正等覺者,請您運用神力示現心相,使那兩位聖者來到這個娑婆世界,並且整個極樂世界連同正等覺者阿彌陀佛也一起來到這個世界。薄伽梵,原因是,如果那兩位聖者來到這個佛國土,跟隨菩薩乘的善男子善女人就會圓滿他們的善根。他們將聽聞那兩位聖者的法語,他們也會因此證得幻三昧。在這個佛國土,他們將能夠看見極樂世界,以及正等覺者阿彌陀佛。見到這一切,善男子善女人將會生起無上正等菩提的心。他們將發願往生到那個佛國土,一旦往生到那裡,他們就將使自己通往無上正等菩提的進展成為不退轉的。」

1.12The Blessed One, understanding the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha’s request, emitted a bright light from the hair between his eyebrows. The light pervaded this entire trichiliocosm with a bright golden radiance. Throughout the entire trichiliocosm, all mountain ranges and forests as well as the central mountain, the Mucilinda Mountains, the Greater Mucilinda Mountains, the surrounding mountains, the greater surrounding mountains, and all places of deep darkness throughout the world were bathed in that golden light, [F.213.b] eclipsing even the sun and the moon‍—so well known for their great miraculous ability, great strength, and great power‍—to the point of invisibility. Toward the west, crossing through a trillion buddha realms, that brilliant golden light pervaded the entire realm of Sukhāvatī. There, the light prostrated at the feet of the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, circumambulated him seven times, and, in that blessed one’s presence, disappeared.

1.12薄伽梵理解菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩的請求,從兩眉之間放出明亮的光芒。這道光照遍了整個三千大千世界,散發出耀眼的金色光輝。在整個三千大千世界中,所有的山脈和森林,以及中央山峰、彌盧山、大慕尼林達山、周圍的山峰、更外層的山峰,還有世界各處的深度黑暗地帶,都沐浴在金色光芒中。這光芒甚至使日月的光輝黯淡無光——儘管日月因其偉大的神力、強大的力量和廣大的威力而聞名——以至於它們變得看不見了。向西方照去,穿過了一兆個佛國土,那道燦爛的金色光芒照遍了整個極樂世界。在那裡,光芒在正遍知、值得尊敬、正等覺者阿彌陀佛的足前頂禮,繞他旋行七圈,然後在那位薄伽梵的面前消失了。

1.13The beings who lived in Sukhāvatī, including the bodhisattvas and the great hearers, looked toward this Sahā world and saw the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni surrounded by the gathering of bodhisattvas and attended upon by the saṅgha of hearers. As they saw it all, as clearly as seeing an āmalakī fruit right in their own hand, they were filled with joy and great happiness, and exclaimed, “Homage to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni!”

1.13住在極樂世界的眾生,包括菩薩和大聲聞,都朝向娑婆世界觀望,看到釋迦牟尼正等覺者被菩薩大眾所圍繞,由聲聞僧伽侍奉。當他們看到這一切時,就如同看著握在自己手中的阿摩洛迦果一樣清楚,他們充滿喜悅和極大的快樂,並讚歎道:「禮敬薄伽梵、釋迦牟尼正等覺者!」

1.14Here in the Sahā world, the assembled retinue of the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni consisted of monks, nuns, laymen, laywomen, gods, nāgas, yakṣas, gandharvas, demigods, garuḍas, kinnaras, and mahoragās, humans, nonhumans, Śakra, Brahmā, the guardians of the world, and bodhisattvas. All of them could now also vividly see the world of Sukhāvatī and the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, [F.214.a] who was shining like the king of mountains, surrounded by the assembly of bodhisattvas and attended upon by the saṅgha of hearers. They saw the entire buddha realm in this way. Just as a person with perfect sight can see the face of another person only a fathom away without any strain, from this world and this buddha realm they saw the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, as well as the world of Sukhāvatī, which appeared in a great display of fine features, filled with trillions of qualities. Witnessing it, they were filled with joy and great happiness, and exclaimed, “Homage to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha!”

1.14在娑婆世界,釋迦牟尼如來、應供、正遍知者的集聚眾中,包括比丘、比丘尼、優婆塞、優婆夷、諸天、龍、夜叉、乾闥婆、阿修羅、迦樓羅、緊那羅、摩睺羅伽、人類、非人類、帝釋天、梵天、世界的守護者和菩薩。他們現在都能夠清晰地看到極樂世界和如來、應供、正遍知的阿彌陀佛,他光芒四射如山王般,被菩薩的集聚眾環繞著,由聲聞僧伽侍奉著。他們以這種方式看到了整個佛國土。正如一個視力完美的人,對著距離一肘遠的另一個人的面容,毫不費力就能看清,他們從這個世界和這個佛國土看到了如來、應供、正遍知的阿彌陀佛,以及極樂世界,它呈現出偉大的莊嚴顯示,充滿著無數的殊勝特質。親眼見證此景,他們被喜悅和大樂充滿,歡呼道:「敬禮薄伽梵,如來、應供、正遍知的阿彌陀佛!」

1.15When that buddha realm was shown to them, 84,000 beings here in this buddha realm, who had not previously aroused the mind of awakening, now gave rise to the mind set upon unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. They dedicated the roots of virtue toward taking birth in the world of Sukhāvatī, as well as toward unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening.

1.15當那個佛國土顯現給他們時,這個佛國土中有八萬四千個眾生,他們之前還沒有生起菩提心,現在都生起了為求無上正等菩提的菩提心。他們將自己的善根迴向,既迴向往生到極樂世界,也迴向無上正等菩提。

In the world of Sukhāvatī, the assembled bodhisattva great beings and great hearers saw the Sahā world and were amazed. They joined the palms of their hands and prostrated toward the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni while they called out, “Homage to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni!”

在極樂世界中,集聚的菩薩大士和大聲聞看到娑婆世界,感到驚歎。他們合掌向薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛禮拜,同時呼喊說:「敬禮薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛!」

As soon as the bodhisattva great beings and the great hearers had spoken these words, the entire world shook in six ways: [F.214.b] it vibrated, shuddered, and reeled; quivered, trembled, and quaked; wobbled, rocked, and swayed; boomed, thundered, and roared; rattled, shook, and convulsed; and clattered, rattled, and clanged.

菩薩大士和大聲聞說出這些話語的那一刻,整個世界就以六種方式震動:它顫動、搖晃、傾斜;抖動、發抖、震撼;搖擺、搖動、晃動;轟鳴、雷鳴、咆哮;格格作響、震動、激烈搖晃;以及叮噹、碰撞、鏗鏘作響。

1.16Then the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta went before the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha. Prostrating with their heads to the Blessed One’s feet, they respectfully stood to one side. Standing together, the two holy beings said to the Blessed One, “The Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni has attained very stable powers. Blessed One, it is amazing. Blissful One, it is amazing. Why? Blessed One, it is like this. When so much as the name of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni was pronounced, even this inanimate earth shook in six ways.”

1.16然後菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩來到薄伽梵、如來、應供、正遍知阿彌陀佛面前。以頭禮敬薄伽梵的雙足,恭敬地站在一旁。兩位聖者一起對薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵、如來、應供、正遍知釋迦牟尼佛已經成就了非常穩定的力量。薄伽梵,這太令人驚奇了。有福德者,這太令人驚奇了。為什麼呢?薄伽梵,事情是這樣的。僅僅是薄伽梵、如來、應供、正遍知釋迦牟尼佛的名號被念誦出來,連這沒有生命的大地都震動了六種方式。」

1.17The Thus-Gone Amitābha said to the two holy beings, “Sons of noble family, not only was the name of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni pronounced in this buddha realm, the name of that Blessed One was also pronounced in many other buddha realms. Those buddha realms, too, all shook in six ways when touched by that light. In those buddha realms, limitless and countless beings heard the name of the Thus-Gone Śākyamuni, [F.215.a] and thereby perfected their roots of virtue and rendered irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. Then, from among the assembly of bodhisattvas, four hundred million bodhisattvas heard the name of the Blessed One, the thus-gone Śākyamuni. When they heard it, they all gathered and, in a single voice, dedicated the roots of virtue toward unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. The Blessed One also prophesied that they would render irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening.”

1.17無量壽佛對兩位聖者說道:「貴族之子們,不僅在這個佛國土中宣誦薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛的名號,那位薄伽梵的名號在許多其他佛國土中也被宣誦了。那些佛國土在被該光觸及時,也都搖動了六種方式。在那些佛國土中,無量無數的眾生聽聞了如來釋迦牟尼的名號,因此圓滿了他們的善根,使他們對無上正等菩提的進步達到了不退轉。隨後,從菩薩的集會中,有四億菩薩聽聞到薄伽梵、如來釋迦牟尼佛的名號。當他們聽聞時,他們全都聚集在一起,用一個聲音,將善根回向無上正等菩提。薄伽梵也預言他們將使自己對無上正等菩提的進步達到不退轉。」

1.18Then the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta said to the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, “The Blessed One, the thus-gone Śākyamuni, has sent forth a light that we have previously never seen nor heard of. Now, since the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, would not emit such a wonderful and beautiful light without causes or circumstances, please tell us what the causes and conditions are for the Blessed One, the thus-gone Śākyamuni, to send forth such a wonderful and beautiful light.”

1.18菩薩摩訶薩觀世音菩薩與菩薩摩訶薩大勢至菩薩對如來、應供、正等覺者阿彌陀佛說:「薄伽梵、如來釋迦牟尼已經放出光明,我們過去從未見過也未曾聽聞。現在,薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼若非有緣由、有條件,就不會放出如此殊妙美麗的光明。請為我們說明,薄伽梵、如來釋迦牟尼放出如此殊妙美麗光明的緣由與條件是什麼。」

1.19The Thus-Gone Amitābha said to the two holy beings, “Sons of noble family, what you say is true. That Blessed One would not send forth such a wonderful and beautiful light without any causes and conditions. And why? Because the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, is about to deliver a Dharma teaching on how to accomplish the precious absorption known as ‘the bodhisattvas’ application.’ That is why [F.215.b] the Blessed One Śākyamuni emitted this wonderful and beautiful light as an omen of that Dharma teaching.”

1.19阿彌陀佛世尊對兩位聖者說:「善男子,你們所說的是真實的。那位世尊不會無因無緣地放出這樣殊勝美妙的光。為什麼呢?因為釋迦牟尼佛世尊正要傳授一個法教,說明如何成就這個名為『菩薩的應用』的珍貴禪定。這就是為什麼釋迦牟尼世尊放出了這樣殊勝美妙的光,作為那個法教的預兆。」

1.20Then the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta said to the Thus-Gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, “In order to gaze upon, honor, venerate, and serve the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, and also to hear his Dharma teaching, we, Blessed One, will travel to that Sahā world.”

1.20菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩對如來、應供、正等覺者阿彌陀佛說道:「為了瞻仰、恭敬、尊崇並侍奉薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛,同時聽聞他的法教,我們薄伽梵將前往那個娑婆世界。」

The thus-gone one Amitābha said, “Sons of noble family, you know that the time has come for the Blessed One, the thus-gone Śākyamuni, to teach the Dharma to an assembly headed by the two of you, so please do go ahead.”

如來阿彌陀佛說道:「貴族之子啊,你們知道薄伽梵、如來釋迦牟尼為以你們二位為首的大眾講授法教的時刻已經到來了,所以請你們前去吧。」

1.21With this permission, the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta called out to the four hundred million bodhisattvas assembled in the retinue of the Blessed One, the thus-gone Amitābha, “Sons of noble family, come! In order to behold, honor, venerate, and serve the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, and also to hear his Dharma teaching, let us travel to the Sahā world. Why? Because the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, gave up all the many perfectly pure buddha realms and, through his aspirations and great compassion, manifested in that afflicted buddha realm. Because he undertook austerities, it was amidst those sentient beings who have base desires and raging attachment, anger, and delusion, [F.216.a] that he fully awakened to unsurpassed and completely perfect buddhahood.”

1.21得到這個許可後,菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩呼喚了聚集在薄伽梵阿彌陀佛眷屬中的四億位菩薩,說道:「善男子,來吧!為了瞻仰、恭敬、尊崇和供養薄伽梵如來應供正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛,並且聽聞他的法教,讓我們一起前往娑婆世界。為什麼呢?因為薄伽梵如來應供正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛放棄了許多圓滿清淨的佛國土,通過他的願力和大慈悲,示現在那個充滿痛苦的佛國土。因為他進行了苦行,就在那些具有卑劣欲望、熾盛貪著、瞋恚和愚癡的眾生中間,他完全覺醒了無上究竟圓滿的佛果。」

1.22As soon as the two holy beings had spoken these words, all of the bodhisattva great beings in the world of Sukhāvatī assembled and said in a single voice, “Blessed One, any being who even hears the name of the Blessed One, the thus-gone Śākyamuni, reaches excellent attainments. That being so, what need is there to mention those who actually see him with their physical eyes and engender faith? Blessed One, we shall also travel to the Sahā world in order to behold, honor, venerate, and serve the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, and also to hear his Dharma teaching.”

1.22兩位聖者說完這些話後,極樂世界中所有的菩薩大士聚集在一起,齊聲說道:「薄伽梵,任何眾生即使只是聽到了薄伽梵、如來釋迦牟尼的名號,都能獲得殊勝的成就。既然如此,何須多說那些親眼見到他並生起信心的眾生呢?薄伽梵,我們也將前往娑婆世界,為了瞻仰、尊敬、恭敬並侍奉薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛,並聞法。」

The Blessed One said, “Sons of noble family, you know that the time has come, so please go ahead.”

薄伽梵說道:「貴族之子啊,你們知道時刻已經到來了,所以請你們前去吧。」

1.23So the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta set out from the world of Sukhāvatī, surrounded and preceded by 840 million bodhisattvas. At that point they manifested their miraculous powers, and by those miraculous powers 840 million bodhisattvas each emanated 840 million mansions. The miraculously manifested mansions were square, structured around four pillars, even and well proportioned, and of excellent design. Each of the mansions was twelve leagues tall and eight leagues wide. Some mansions were made of gold; [F.216.b] some were made of silver; some were made of beryl; some were made of crystal; some were made of red pearl, emerald, and coral; some were made of combinations of gold and silver; some were made of combinations of gold, silver, and beryl; some were made of combinations of gold, silver, beryl, and crystal; some mansions were made of combinations of gold, silver, beryl, crystal, and red pearl; some mansions were made of combinations of gold, silver, beryl, crystal, red pearl, and coral; some mansions were made of combinations of gold, silver, beryl, crystal, red pearl, coral, and emerald; some mansions were made of red sandalwood; some were made of uragasāra sandalwood; some were made of aloeswood and sandalwood; some were made of black aloeswood and sandalwood; some mansions were made of all types of sandalwood; some mansions were made of blue lotuses, pink lotuses, water lily, and white lotuses; some mansions were made of flowers of nutmeg, jasmine, magnolia, pāṭalam, mountain ebony, aloe flower, and gotaraṇi; some mansions were made of danuskari flowers; some mansions were made of māndārava and mahāmāndārava flowers; some mansions were made of flowers of pāruṣaka, mahāpāruṣaka, mañjuṣaka, mahāmañjuṣaka, roca, mahāroca, cakra, mahācakra, sarvacakra, atyartha­śobhati­cakra, candra, mahācandra, atyartha­śobhati­candra, paramacandra, sthāla, and mahāsthāla; [F.217.a] some mansions were made of all types of flowers; and some were made of flowers of various colors, multiple colors, hundreds of thousands of colors, beautiful, pure, and shining.

1.23於是菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩從極樂世界出發,周圍被八億四千萬菩薩包圍並簇擁在前。此時他們展現了神力,藉由那些神力,八億四千萬菩薩各自化現了八億四千萬座宮殿。那些以神力化現的宮殿是方形的,以四根柱子為結構,平整且均勻對稱,設計精美。每座宮殿高十二由旬,寬八由旬。有些宮殿由黃金製成;有些由白銀製成;有些由吠琉璃製成;有些由水晶製成;有些由赤珠、琉璃和珊瑚製成;有些由黃金和白銀的組合製成;有些由黃金、白銀和吠琉璃的組合製成;有些由黃金、白銀、吠琉璃和水晶的組合製成;有些宮殿由黃金、白銀、吠琉璃、水晶和赤珠的組合製成;有些宮殿由黃金、白銀、吠琉璃、水晶、赤珠和珊瑚的組合製成;有些宮殿由黃金、白銀、吠琉璃、水晶、赤珠、珊瑚和琉璃的組合製成;有些宮殿由紅檀香製成;有些由烏拉伽沙羅檀香製成;有些由沉香和檀香製成;有些由黑沉香和檀香製成;有些宮殿由各種檀香製成;有些宮殿由青蓮花、粉紅蓮花、睡蓮和白蓮花製成;有些宮殿由豆蔻花、茉莉花、木蘭花、波吒羅花、紫荊花、蘆薈花和郭陀羅尼花製成;有些宮殿由達那婆沙梨花製成;有些宮殿由曼陀羅花和大曼陀羅花製成;有些宮殿由波魯沙迦花、大波魯沙迦花、滿殊迦花、大滿殊迦花、羅闍花、大羅闍花、車輪花、大車輪花、一切車輪花、極殊勝車輪花、月花、大月花、極殊勝月花、最勝月花、舒展花和大舒展花製成;有些宮殿由各種花朵製成;有些則由多種顏色、數百色、數千色的花朵,美麗、清淨且光彩照人的花朵製成。

1.24In each mansion were emanated 84,000 goddesses. Some of the goddesses held conches, drums, clay kettle drums, wooden kettle drums, lutes, and flutes, while others sang melodiously, and yet others held up reed pipes, one-stringed lutes, and three-stringed lutes. In this way they were playing instruments, singing songs, and making music in abundance. Some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered red sandalwood; some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered uragasāra sandalwood; some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered aloeswood and sandalwood; some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered black aloeswood and sandalwood; some goddesses were holding vessels of all types of powdered sandalwood; some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered blue lotuses, pink lotuses, water lilies, and white lotuses; some goddesses were holding vessels of powdered flowers of māndārava, mahāmāndārava, pāruṣaka, mahāpāruṣaka, mañjuṣaka, mahāmañjuṣaka, roca, mahāroca, cakra, mahācakra, sarvacakra, atyartha­śobhati­cakra, candra, mahācandra, atyartha­śobhati­candra, paramacandra, sthāla, and mahāsthāla; some goddesses were proffering vessels of all types of powdered flowers, perfume, incense, flower garlands, and ointments.

1.24每座宮殿中都顯現了八萬四千位天女。其中一些天女手持螺殼、鼓、陶製水壺鼓、木製水壺鼓、琵琶和長笛,其他天女則婉轉歌唱,還有一些天女舉著蘆笛、單弦琵琶和三弦琵琶。她們就這樣演奏樂器、唱著歌曲,奏出了豐富多彩的音樂。一些天女手持盛有紅檀香粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有烏拉伽沙羅檀香粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有沉香和檀香粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有黑沉香和檀香粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有各種檀香粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有藍蓮花、粉蓮花、睡美蓮花和白蓮花粉的器皿;一些天女手持盛有曼陀羅花、大曼陀羅花、波魯沙迦花、大波魯沙迦花、曼殊沙迦花、大曼殊沙迦花、羅遮花、大羅遮花、車輪花、大車輪花、一切車輪花、極其莊嚴車輪花、月花、大月花、極其莊嚴月花、殊勝月花、平坦花和大平坦花等花粉的器皿;一些天女則奉上了盛有各種花粉、香料、熏香、花鬘和香膏的器皿。

1.25In each mansion appeared an ornately decorated lion throne upon which the form of a thus-gone one was seated, adorned with the thirty-two marks of a great being. [F.217.b] In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 pearl garlands, made of white, red, and blue pearls. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 victory banners made of divinely manufactured fabric, each of them covered in a lattice of small golden bells. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 censers of incense. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 parasols of various colors, multiple colors, hundreds of thousands of colors, beautiful, well-crafted, and of fine proportions. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 rows of palm trees. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 jewel trees. In each of the mansions appeared 84,000 lattices of small bells that, when stirred by the wind, sounded tunes resembling the music performed by skilled musicians playing trillions of divine instruments. Such were the sweet and beautiful tunes that rang out from those bells when stirred by the wind. In each of the mansions appeared ponds, the bottom of each lined with gold dust, adorned with beryl and crystal, and encircled by a ring of the seven precious gemstones. The ponds were filled with blue and pink lotuses, water lilies, and white lotus flowers, and on them were wild geese calling out. The ponds were filled to the brim with water of eight properties, making them excellent for the birds to quench their thirst. Each of the mansions was surrounded by seven rows of jewel trees, and 84,000 jewel strings bound them all together. The light shining from each of the mansions extended for 84,000 leagues. Such was the layout of all the mansions. [F.218.a]

1.25每座宮殿中出現了一個裝飾華麗的獅子座,座上坐著一位如來的身相,具足三十二相。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千條珠寶瓔珞,由白色、紅色和藍色珍珠製成。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千面勝利幡,由天界製造的織物製成,每一面都覆蓋著小金鈴的網格。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千個香爐。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千把各種顏色、多種顏色、數十萬種顏色的傘,美麗精緻,比例精妙。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千排棕櫚樹。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千棵珠寶樹。每座宮殿中出現了八萬四千排小鈴鐺網格,被風吹動時,發出的聲音如同技藝高超的音樂家演奏無數天界樂器的音樂。那些鈴鐺被風吹動時發出的聲音是如此甜美動聽。每座宮殿中出現了池塘,池底鋪滿金粉,裝飾著綠寶石和水晶,並被七寶珍石的環形圍欄環繞。池塘中盛滿藍色和紅色蓮花、睡美蓮和白蓮花,池上有野鵝鳴叫。池塘中盛滿具有八種功德的水,為水鳥提供了極好的飲水之處。每座宮殿被七排珠寶樹環繞,八萬四千條寶珠串將它們全部連接在一起。每座宮殿發出的光芒延伸八萬四千由旬。所有宮殿的佈置就是如此。

Inside each of those mansions, the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta then again emanated the entire display of all the mansions that they had produced, along with all of their elaborate internal contents, in a precise copy.

觀世音菩薩這位偉大的菩薩及大勢至菩薩這位偉大的菩薩,隨後在這些宮殿的每一座內部,再次顯現出他們之前所創造的全部宮殿及其精美內部陳設的完整顯現,以精確的方式複製而成。

1.26Once the two bodhisattva great beings had emanated those displays inside each of the mansions, the displays together with 840 billion bodhisattvas all vanished from the world of Sukhāvatī and arrived here in this Sahā world in just a single moment, a single second, a single instant. It happened as quickly as it takes for a strong person to extend his arm and flex it again. At that point the two bodhisattvas miraculously transformed this Sahā world so that it became as even as the palm of a hand. Such was the miracle that they manifested. All the bodhisattvas also arrived together with the 840 million mansions. This great display of qualities was absolutely resplendent. The light that shone from the mansions pervaded this entire trichiliocosm.

1.26這兩位菩薩大士在各個樓閣內演現出這些莊嚴景象後,這些景象連同八百四十億位菩薩一起,從極樂世界消失,在一瞬間、一剎那、一刹那之間來到了這個娑婆世界。其速度就像一個力大的人伸出手臂再收回來一樣迅速。此時這兩位菩薩通過神通變化,使娑婆世界變得平坦如掌心。這就是他們所顯現的神通變化。所有的菩薩也一起來到了,帶來了八百四十萬座樓閣。這個殊勝莊嚴的顯現絕對輝煌璀璨。從這些樓閣放射出來的光明遍照整個三千大千世界。

1.27Then the two bodhisattvas went before the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni. They prostrated with their heads at the feet of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, the worthy, completely perfect Buddha Śākyamuni, and circumambulated him three times before standing off to one side. As they stood there, those two holy beings, [F.218.b] in a single tune and a single voice, praised the Blessed One with these verses:

1.27隨後,這兩位菩薩來到薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛面前。他們頂禮薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者釋迦牟尼佛的雙足,繞佛三周,然後站立一旁。當他們站在那裡時,這兩位聖者以同一個音調、同一個聲音,用以下偈頌讚頌薄伽梵:

“We prostrate to your unrivaled splendor, your mass of qualities!
「我們禮敬您無與倫比的光輝,您無量的功德!」
Great Omniscient Sage, you have perfected all good qualities.
偉大的全知聖者,你已圓滿一切善法。
You outshine everyone and transcend the desirous path of the three realms.
你超越一切眾生的光輝,超脫了三界中的欲望之道。
Supreme leader of the Śākyas, we prostrate before your stainless, moon-like face.
釋迦族的最高領導者,我們向你無垢、月光般的面容頂禮。
“Your body is beautiful, like the stainless sun.
你的身體美麗,如清淨的太陽。
You wear the armor of the thirty-two perfect signs,
你穿戴著三十二相圓滿的鎧甲,
And light up the world with your adornments, the excellent marks.
用你的莊嚴瑞相照亮世界,這些殊勝的標誌。
Perfect man, no one in the three worlds can compare to you.
完美的男子,三界之中沒有人能與你相比。
“When faced by the light from the body of the Blissful One,
「當面對著至樂者身體發出的光芒時,
The light of the sun, the moon, every jewel and fire in the world,
世界上太陽、月亮、所有寶石和火光的光明,
That of any human, or gods like Śakra and Brahmā,
任何人或帝釋天、梵天這樣的天神的光芒。
Is eclipsed, dimmed, and shines no more than a pool of ink.
全都黯淡無光,不再閃耀,如同一灘墨水般。
“Victorious One, while present in one realm,
「勝利者啊,當您駐留在一個領域時,
You instantaneously go to limitless others for the sake of beings.
你瞬間為了眾生而前往無數其他的世界。
No one can comprehend the departure and arrival of the teacher.
沒有任何人能夠理解導師的離去與到來。
Your many deeds and disciplines tame beings.
您的許多事蹟和持戒波羅蜜調伏眾生。
“In a single pore you can display limitless realms,
「在一個毛孔中你可以展現無限的境界,
Yet nothing increases or decreases.
然而一切都不增不減。
This is beyond the workings of karma, cause and effect.
這超越了業力、因果的作用。
No being is harmed, and nothing is confused.
沒有任何眾生受到傷害,也沒有任何東西被混淆。
“To some supreme beings you display the pure lands,
「向某些最高的眾生顯現淨土,」
Where there are no hell beings, animals, or pretas,
在沒有地獄眾生、畜生或餓鬼的地方,
And which are full of the renowned sons of the victorious ones‍—
那裡充滿了聞名遐邇的勝利者之子。
A realm of perfect delight beyond the eight unfree states.
超越八難的完美喜樂境界。
“To remedy others, gods and humans lacking fear and careless in their ways,
「為了救濟他人,那些缺乏畏懼、行為放縱的天神和人類,」
Once you show them the unbearably afflicted realms,
一旦你展示給他們那些難以承受的痛苦境界,
The states to which they could go as hell beings, animals, and pretas,
他們可能轉生為地獄眾生、畜生和餓鬼的那些狀態,
They all take refuge fully in the Blissful One. [F.219.a]
他們都完全皈依極樂者。
“In some other realms you manifest in the form of space;
「在某些其他的領域中,你以虛空的形態顯現;
Likewise, in other realms you blaze in the form of fire and flames.
同樣地,在其他領域中,你以火焰和光焰的形式熊熊燃燒。
You manifest by filling other realms with water‍—
你化現為水,充滿其他領域——
These emanations are the domain of omniscient wisdom.
這些化身是全知智慧的領域。
“In order to tame others you display limitless forms.
「為了調伏他人,你展現無限的形相。
To some you appear in the shining form of the Lord of Desire,
你以欲界天主閃耀的形象出現在某些眾生面前,
Lord of the Brahma realm who attained the supremely peaceful absorption,
梵界之主,證得至高寂靜的禪定。
And the Lord of the Heaven of the Thirty-Three, the thousand-eyed blazing vajra.
以及三十三天的天主,千眼熾盛的金剛。
“Many hundreds of beings are delighted and worship you;
「許多數百位眾生歡喜並禮拜您;
Through the ten virtues, limitless beings are tamed.
通過十善業,無量眾生得以調伏。
You are supreme among ministers, merchants, and royal counselors;
你在大臣、商人和王室顧問中地位最為崇高;
Fearless when enemies descend, you are unharmed by their attacks.
敵人來臨時你無所畏懼,不為他們的攻擊所傷。
“With the four means of attracting disciples, you gather beings
「以四攝法,你聚集眾生
And establish them on the path to perfect awakening.
並將他們安立在圓滿覺悟的道路上。
Through meritorious action you become a universal monarch
通過福德之行,你成為轉輪聖王
Who masters the four continents in possession of the seven riches.
誰掌握四大洲,擁有七寶。
“To some, here in this world, you demonstrated birth,
「在這個世界上,你向某些眾生展現了出生,」
And taking seven steps over the ground,
並在地上邁出七步,
With your beautiful voice endowed with eight aspects, you said:
你以具備八種特質的美妙音聲說道:
‘This birth of mine will bring an end to birth and death.’
「我這一生將終結生死輪迴。」
“During the time of Dīpaṃkara you had abandoned all defilements,
「在燃燈佛的時代,你已經捨棄了所有的煩惱,
And yet, to ripen beings for the supreme wisdom of awakening,
然而為了使眾生成熟,獲得至高的覺悟智慧,
To some you stayed, a pure being, amidst a retinue of queens.
你對某些人顯現為純淨的存在,周圍環繞著皇后的眷屬。
Lord of Men, you also taught the queens and your son.
人中之主啊,你也教導了皇后們和你的兒子。
“You gave up your parents, your cherished retinue of friends and relatives,
「你捨棄了你的父母,以及你珍愛的親友眷屬,
Your kingdom, wealth, and many treasuries of jewels.
你的王國、財富和許多寶藏。
Śakra, Brahmā, and the demigods revered you;
帝釋天、梵天和眾天神都恭敬尊重您。
Great Sage, you left home and lived in the forest.
大聖,你舍家出走,住在森林裡。
“To benefit beings, for six years you underwent hardship, [F.219.b]
「為了利益眾生,你經歷了六年的艱難,
Focused in supreme and precious all-pervasive concentration.
專注於至尊珍貴的遍行禪定波羅蜜。
In order to defeat all the hordes of extremists,
為了打敗所有外道的勢力,
You, a pure being, went to the foot of the Bodhi tree.
你這位清淨的聖者,前往了菩提樹下。
“In order to ripen beings for the supreme wisdom of a buddha,
為了使眾生成熟,獲得佛陀的無上智慧,
Lord of Men, you entered into the supreme illusory absorption;
人中之尊,你進入了究竟的幻三昧;
Victorious One, you took on a physical appearance
勝者,你顯現了身相
Of such a kind that would tame the world.
使世界得以調伏的那般形相。
“Just as an illusionist, in order to trick others,
「就像一個幻術師,為了欺騙他人,
Will produce many illusory manifestations, so too, you,
就像幻術師為了欺騙他人,會變現出許多幻象一樣,您也是這樣,
Lamp of the World, in order to tame beings
世間之燈,為了調伏眾生
Produced the many manifestations of your buddhahood.
示現了您佛陀身份的多種形態。
“Heroic Sage, to some you showed the taming of Māra and his armies,
「英勇的聖者,您向有些眾生展現了調伏魔羅及其軍隊的過程,
And did what no one else out of all the extremist hosts has done:
並且做了所有極端主義者陣營中沒有人能做到的事:
You attained immaculate omniscience beyond nirvāṇa,
你證得了超越涅槃的清淨一切智。
And turned the unsurpassable and unchanging wheel.
並轉動無上且不變的法輪。
“Over many billions of eons you discovered awakening;
「在許多億劫以來,你發現了覺悟;
On all paths you turned the wheel.
你在所有道路上轉動了法輪。
Lord of Men, like a moon reflected in water, you appear to all;
男子之主,如同月亮倒映在水中,你顯現於一切眾生之前;
Self-Originated Blissful One in infinite places, we prostrate to you.
自生歡喜者,於無盡處所,我們向你頂禮。
“To some, you show the Dharma body of a Buddha,
「對於某些眾生,你展現了一位佛陀的法身,
The permanent, stable, enduring, unchanging,
永恆的、穩固的、長久的、不變的,
Immutable, unborn, stainless, and unceasing Dharma.
不變、無生、無垢、無斷的法。
It pervades all the ten directions, which are like an optical illusion.
它遍滿十方,這十方如同幻影。
“To some you say, ‘In no time at all, you will be separated from your loved ones,
「對有些人你說:『很快地,你就會與所愛的人分離,」
So it is no good for you to put your trust in this compounded world.’
所以你不應該信賴這個由因緣和合而成的世界。
And thus you show them how all beings are like a dream, an illusion, a mirage,
這樣你就向他們展現了所有眾生都如夢幻、如幻覺、如海市蜃樓一般。
And impermanent, unstable, and momentary.
並且是無常的、不穩定的、短暫的。
“The physical activity of the Blissful One knows no bounds or borders;
「圓滿者的身體活動沒有邊界或限制;
The domains of your verbal and mental activity are also unfathomable. [F.220.a]
你的言語和心念活動的領域也是不可測度的。
Like the sky, the deeds of the Teacher are impossible to measure;
如虛空一般,導師的事業無法衡量;
The domain of the Victorious One cannot be understood by sentient beings.
勝者的領域眾生無法理解。
“Even if all the beings throughout the ten directions
「即使十方所有的眾生
Were as knowledgeable as Śāriputra,
即使像舍利弗一樣具有般若波羅蜜,
They could not fathom the limitless scope of the victorious Dharma King’s nature,
他們無法理解勝利的法王無限廣大的本質。
Nor the entirety of the Victorious One’s domain.
也無法窮盡勝者的領域。
“The wisdom of the perfect Buddha is limitless like the sky,
「正遍知的般若波羅蜜無邊如虛空,
And the experience of the victorious ones is entirely inconceivable.
而且勝者的體驗是完全不可思議的。
The assemblies of sons of the victorious ones, hearers,
勝利者的兒子們的集會,聲聞們,
And circumstantial victorious ones cannot comprehend it.
而辟支佛也無法理解它。
“Thus you show them boundless physical deeds,
「這樣你向他們展示無邊的身體事業,
Skillfully performed to tame infinite beings.
巧妙地展現以調伏無量眾生。
You have bodies as infinite as the element of space.
你擁有如同虛空元素一般無限的身體。
Protector devoid of concept and thought, we prostrate to you.
沒有概念和思想的保護者,我們向您頂禮。
“You have crossed to the other shore of the vast ocean of suffering.
你已經渡過了痛苦大海的彼岸。
We praise you, Victorious One, tamer of disturbing emotions, and foremost being.
我們讚歎你,勝利者,煩惱的調伏者,和最殊勝的眾生。
May all the merit gained thereby go to all beings
願以此所獲的福德迴向給一切眾生。
So that they may reach precious, supreme, peaceful, and blissful awakening!”
使得他們能夠證得珍貴、殊勝、寂靜、安樂的覺悟!

1.54When the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta had praised the Blessed One with these fitting verses, they asked the Blessed One about his health, saying, “The Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha is asking if the Blessed One is in good health. Are you free from any misfortune and agitation? Are you enjoying good health and well-being?”

1.54當菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩用這些恰當的偈頌讚歎薄伽梵後,他們向薄伽梵請安,說道:「薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者阿彌陀佛問候薄伽梵是否安好。您沒有遭遇任何不幸和煩擾嗎?您享受著安樂和幸福嗎?」

1.55They also said, “Hearers of the Blessed One, behold how delightful the world has become.”

1.55他們也說:「薄伽梵的聲聞弟子們,請看這個世界變得多麼令人歡喜啊。」

When the bodhisattvas and great hearers here in the Sahā world [F.220.b] saw the great display of mansions that pervaded this entire world, as well as its many riches, they were amazed and thought to themselves, “Is it due to the power of the Thus-Gone One, or is it due to the power of these bodhisattva great beings, that all of this has arrived here from the world of Sukhāvatī?”

當娑婆世界的菩薩和大聲聞看到充滿整個世界的宏偉樓閣景象,以及其中的眾多財寶時,他們感到驚嘆,心裡思考著:「這一切是由於如來的力量而從極樂世界來到此處的呢,還是由於這些菩薩大士的力量而來的呢?」

1.56At that point, inspired by the Buddha, the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, all these many mansions that now fill up and adorn this Sahā world are amazing! Blissful One, they are truly amazing! Did all of this arrive here in the Sahā world from the world of Sukhāvatī due to the power of the Thus-Gone One or due to the power of these bodhisattvas?”

1.56此時,蓮花吉祥藏菩薩受到佛陀的啟發,問薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,現在充滿並莊嚴這娑婆世界的所有這些眾多的寶宮殿真是令人驚歎!安樂者啊,它們確實令人驚歎!這一切是從極樂世界來到這娑婆世界的,是由於如來的力量呢,還是由於這些菩薩的力量?」

The Blessed One answered the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha, “Padmaśrīgarbha, that these many jewel mansions now fill up and adorn this Sahā world is not due to the power of the Thus-Gone One. Rather, it is due to the power of the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta.”

薄伽梵回答菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩說:「蓮花吉祥藏,這許多珍寶殿堂現在充滿並莊嚴了娑婆世界,這不是由於如來的力量。而是由於菩薩大士觀世音菩薩和菩薩大士大勢至菩薩的力量。」

1.57Padmaśrīgarbha exclaimed, “Because of their power, this Sahā world is now filled and adorned with these many jewel mansions. The perfection of the aspirations and roots of virtue of these two holy beings is inconceivable! Blessed One, it is amazing! Blissful One, it is truly amazing!”

1.57蓮花吉祥藏菩薩驚嘆道:「因為他們的力量,這個娑婆世界現在充滿並裝飾著眾多的寶殿。這兩位聖者的願力和善根的圓滿是不可思議的!薄伽梵,這真是太奇妙了!妙樂者,這確實是太奇妙了!」

[F.221.a] “Padmaśrīgarbha, it is just as you say,” said the Blessed One. “For innumerable trillions of eons, these two holy beings have perfected the roots of virtue. Padmaśrīgarbha, these two holy beings have attained the illusory absorption. As they abide within the illusory absorption, they can demonstrate such miraculous emanations. Padmaśrīgarbha, when you look toward the east, what do you see?”

薄伽梵說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,正如你所說。這兩位聖者已經經歷了無數兆個劫來完善他們的善根。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,這兩位聖者已經獲得了幻三昧。當他們安住在幻三昧中時,他們能夠示現出這樣的神奇化現。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,當你向東方看時,你看到了什麼?」

1.58When the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha looked toward the east with the unobscured divine eye of a bodhisattva, he saw as many buddha realms as there are grains of sand in the river Ganges, with as many blessed buddhas as there are grains of sand in the river Ganges. At the feet of all of those blessed buddhas were the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta, prostrating and inquiring about their health, saying, “The Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha is asking if the Blessed One is in good health. Are you free from any misfortune and agitation? Are you enjoying good health and well-being?”

1.58菩薩摩訶薩蓮花吉祥藏用菩薩清淨無障礙的天眼向東方觀看,看到如恆河沙數那麼多的佛國土,每個國土都有如恆河沙數那麼多的薄伽梵。在所有那些薄伽梵的足下,菩薩摩訶薩觀世音菩薩和菩薩摩訶薩大勢至菩薩都在禮拜,並且詢問他們的安樂,說道:「薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者阿彌陀佛敬禮,問您是否安樂。您沒有遭受任何災難和煩擾嗎?您正在享受安樂和幸福嗎?」

1.59The same thing occurred in the south, in the west, in the north, below, above, and in all the ten directions. In all directions Padmaśrīgarbha saw as many buddha realms as there are grains of sand in the Ganges River, filled with and adorned by a great display of mansions made of various precious substances. In all those buddha realms he saw blessed buddhas, and he witnessed the two holy beings prostrating before all those blessed buddhas. As he saw this, he was filled with great wonder.

1.59南方、西方、北方、下方、上方及十方世界都出現了同樣的情景。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩在十方看到了如恆河沙數那樣多的佛國土,這些佛國土中充滿並裝飾著由各種珍寶製成的宮殿的盛大景象。在所有這些佛國土中,他看到了許多薄伽梵佛陀,並目睹了這兩位聖者在所有這些薄伽梵佛陀面前頂禮。看到這一切時,他心中充滿了極大的驚歎。

The bodhisattva great being [F.221.b] Padmaśrīgarbha was amazed, and exclaimed to the Blessed One, “The accomplishment of the illusory absorption by these two holy beings is inconceivable! Blessed One, it is amazing! Blissful One, it is truly amazing! Why do I say so? Because these two holy beings abide in that absorption, and thus are present in all buddha realms.”

菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩驚嘆不已,向薄伽梵說道:「這兩位聖者成就幻三昧的功德不可思議!薄伽梵,這實在是太不可思議了!至尊,這確實是太不可思議了!我為什麼這樣說呢?因為這兩位聖者安住在那個三昧中,因此就同時出現在所有的佛國土中。」

1.60The Blessed One then produced a miraculous display so that the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha could see the buddha realms in all ten directions. He could also behold blessed buddhas in those buddha realms, and he saw how the two holy beings prostrated at the feet of the blessed ones. In a similar way, the entire retinue present could see the buddha realms in all ten directions, behold the blessed buddhas in those buddha realms, and see the two holy beings prostrated at the feet of the blessed ones. Witnessing this, thirty-two thousand beings in the retinue of the Blessed One developed the mind set on unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. Such were the miracles that the Blessed One produced.

1.60薄伽梵於是示現了一個奇蹟,使得蓮花吉祥藏菩薩能夠看到十方所有的佛國土。他也能夠看見那些佛國土中的諸佛,並且看到這兩位聖者在諸佛足下禮拜的情景。同樣地,在場的整個眷屬也都能夠看到十方所有的佛國土,看見那些佛國土中的諸佛,並且看到這兩位聖者在諸佛足下禮拜的情景。見到這一切,薄伽梵眷屬中的三萬二千位眾生心中產生了對無上正等菩提的渴望。這就是薄伽梵所示現的奇蹟。

1.61Then the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, from which thus-gone one did these two holy beings develop the mind set on unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening? And how long ago was that? What was his name? Blessed One, thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, please tell us!”

1.61然後菩薩蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,這兩位聖者是在哪一位如來面前發起了無上正等菩提心?那是多久以前的事?那位佛陀叫什麼名字?薄伽梵、如來、應供者、正遍知者,請為我們說明吧!」

The Blessed One replied, “It is thus that other bodhisattvas, too, should perfect their conduct, actions, and aspirations. [F.222.a] Therefore, Padmaśrīgarbha, listen very well and keep in mind what I will now explain.”

薄伽梵說道:「其他菩薩也應當如此圓滿自己的行為、事業和願望。因此,蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你要好好聽著,把我現在要說的內容牢記在心。」

The bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha said, “Blessed One, excellent!” and he listened as the Blessed One had advised.

菩薩蓮花吉祥藏說:「薄伽梵,甚善!」遵照薄伽梵的教導而諦聽。

1.62“Padmaśrīgarbha,” continued the Blessed One, “previously, in times past, an inconceivable number of eons ago, an endless number of eons ago, at a time stretching further back than any number of eons, a number of eons so great that the number of atoms found in 100,000 worlds‍—all the limitless and inconceivable number of such atoms‍—would not equal the number of eons, there was a world called Boundless Accumulation of Precious Qualities and Full Display of Happiness. In that world was a blessed, thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect buddha who had perfect knowledge and conduct. He was a blissful one who knew the world, an unsurpassed charioteer who trained beings, and a teacher of gods and men. His name was Blessed Buddha King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play.

1.62「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,」薄伽梵繼續說道,「在過去很久很久以前,在無法計量的劫數之前,在無盡的劫數之前,在時間遠到超越任何劫數計算的時代,在劫數之多到即使將十萬個世界裡所有的微塵數量加起來——無限無數的微塵——也無法等同的那樣多的劫數之前,曾經存在著一個名叫「無邊寶積莊嚴功德圓滿世界」的世界。在那個世界裡,有一位薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者,他具有圓滿的般若波羅蜜和戒行。他是一位獲得了喜樂的覺悟者,了知世間的正遍知,訓練眾生的無上調禦師,以及諸天和人類的導師。他的名號是薄伽梵金毛獅子遊戲如來佛王。

1.63“Padmaśrīgarbha, in the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, there was a display of precious qualities. I will only give you a mere illustration of this, just to mention a few of the qualities, so listen. Padmaśrīgarbha, tell me, are there many displays of precious qualities in the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha?”

1.63「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,在薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者、獅子遊戲金色王佛的佛國土中,有寶積的莊嚴顯現。我將只為你舉一個例子,只是提到其中的幾種功德,所以你要聽好。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,請告訴我,在薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者、阿彌陀佛的佛國土中,寶積的莊嚴顯現是否也很多呢?」

Padmaśrīgarbha replied, “Blessed One, there are indeed‍—inconceivably many. They are limitless, and it would not be easy to describe them in words.”

蓮花吉祥藏菩薩回答說:「薄伽梵,確實有無量無邊的莊嚴功德。這些功德數量無限,用言語很難描述。」

1.64The Blessed One said, “Padmaśrīgarbha, consider this analogy. Imagine a person splits the tip of a hair into one hundred pieces, and then uses the tip of one of those pieces to lift up one drop of water from the ocean. [F.222.b] Tell me now, Padmaśrīgarbha, which would be greater, the amount of water that has been extracted or the water that remains?”

1.64薄伽梵說:"蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你要思考這個比喻。想象有一個男子把一根頭髮的尖端分成一百份,然後用其中一份的尖端從海洋中舀起一滴水。現在告訴我,蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,哪一個更多——被舀出來的水,還是剩下的水?"

Padmaśrīgarbha replied, “Blessed One, the extracted water would be less. The amount remaining is measureless.”

蓮花吉祥藏菩薩回答說:「薄伽梵,提取的水會更少。剩餘的水量是無法衡量的。」

1.65“Padmaśrīgarbha, think about this and understand it,” said the Blessed One. “The amount of water extracted from the ocean in a single drop by that person using a hundredth of a hair tip represents the displays of precious qualities in the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha, while the body of water remaining in the ocean represents the displays of precious qualities in Boundless Accumulation of Precious Qualities and Full Display of Happiness, the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play.

1.65「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你要思考並理解這一點,」薄伽梵說道。「那個人用一根頭髮的百分之一取出海水一滴所代表的,是薄伽梵、如來、應供者、正等覺者阿彌陀佛佛國土中的寶藏功德顯現;而留在海洋中的水體所代表的,是薄伽梵、如來、應供者、正等覺者獅子遊戲金色王佛的佛國土——無邊寶積莊嚴功德圓滿世界中的功德顯現。」

1.66“His saṅgha of hearers was also endless. Right now the Thus-Gone Amitābha’s saṅgha of hearers is said to be boundless, but the saṅgha of hearers belonging to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, was a hundred thousand times larger than that. His saṅgha of bodhisattvas was also of comparable size. That blessed, thus-gone one taught the Dharma exclusively within the three vehicles. Padmaśrīgarbha, even if I had as many eons as there are grains of sand in the Ganges River to describe the display of precious qualities in the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, as well as the display of qualities of his hearers and the causes for their happiness, I would not run out of things to say, and I would be unable to complete my description of the display of qualities in that buddha realm.

1.66「他的聲聞僧伽也是無窮無盡的。現在如來阿彌陀佛的聲聞僧伽被說為無邊無際,但薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者、金色獅子遊戲王佛的聲聞僧伽,其規模是那個的一百倍。他的菩薩僧伽規模也是相當的。那位薄伽梵、如來在三乘中專門宣說法。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,即使我擁有如恆河沙粒般多的劫來描述薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者、金色獅子遊戲王佛的佛國土中所展現的寶貴功德,以及他的聲聞們的功德和他們的安樂因,我仍然不會說完,也無法完整地描述那個佛國土中所展現的功德。」

1.67“Padmaśrīgarbha, [F.223.a] back then, during the life of the blessed Thus-Gone One, King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, there was a virtuous and religious king who ruled over a thousand worlds. He was known as Glorious Splendor. Padmaśrīgarbha, King Glorious Splendor had one billion sons. All the young princes had the twenty-eight marks of a great being, and all of them had genuinely attained unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening. Padmaśrīgarbha, King Glorious Splendor also had seventy-six thousand pleasure groves for his enjoyment, while each of his sons had ten thousand pleasure groves.”

1.67「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那時在薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者金毛獅子遊戲王的教法時期,有一位具有品德且信仰正法的國王,統治著一千個世界,名號叫威德王。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,威德王有十億個兒子。所有年輕的王子都具備大人物的二十八相,他們全都真實成就了無上正等菩提。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,威德王還擁有七萬六千座花園供自己享樂,而他的每一位兒子都各自擁有一萬座花園。」

1.68Then the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, were there no women in that buddha realm?”

1.68然後菩薩蓮花吉祥藏向薄伽梵提問:「薄伽梵,那個佛國土中沒有女人嗎?」

“No, Padmaśrīgarbha, there were not,” answered the Blessed One. “In that buddha realm not even the word ‘woman’ was heard. All those young princes had been born out of chastity. They were all born in a miraculous manner. All those beings sustained themselves on the joy of concentration and the joy of the Dharma, and in that buddha realm there was no gross type of food. Padmaśrīgarbha, King Glorious Splendor had no formal duties, so together with his sons he worshipped the Blessed One for 840 trillion years. That Blessed, Thus-Gone One knew the king’s good intentions, so he taught him how to gain expertise in the mode of Dharma known as the boundless seal.

「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,沒有的,」薄伽梵回答道。「在那個佛國土中,甚至沒有聽過『女人』這個詞。那些年輕王子都是從清淨中誕生的。他們都是以神奇的方式誕生的。那個國土中的一切眾生都依靠禪定之樂和法的喜樂來維持自己,在那個佛國土中沒有粗重的食物。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,威德王沒有正式的國務職責,因此他和他的兒子們一起向薄伽梵禮拜了八百四十兆年。那位薄伽梵、如來知道那位國王的善良意圖,所以他教導他如何獲得被稱為無邊印的法之模式的精通。

1.69“Padmaśrīgarbha, you may wonder what that ‘expertise in the mode of Dharma known as the boundless seal’ might be. Well, Padmaśrīgarbha, it is that bodhisattva great beings never fail to strive for boundless activities. [F.223.b] They never fail to undertake boundless efforts. And why? Because those bodhisattvas’ generosity is boundless. Their discipline is boundless. Their patience is boundless. Their diligence is boundless. Their concentration is boundless. Their knowledge is boundless. Their embrace of saṃsāra is boundless. Their love for beings is boundless. Their display of realms is boundless. Their hearers are boundless. Their perfect forms are boundless. Their voices are boundless. Their eloquence is boundless.

1.69「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那所謂『無邊印法門的專長』是什麼呢?蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,就是菩薩大士們永不停止地努力追求無邊的事業。他們永不停止地承擔無邊的精進。為什麼呢?因為這些菩薩們的佈施波羅蜜是無邊的。他們的持戒波羅蜜是無邊的。他們的忍辱波羅蜜是無邊的。他們的精進波羅蜜是無邊的。他們的禪定波羅蜜是無邊的。他們的般若波羅蜜是無邊的。他們對於輪迴的擁抱是無邊的。他們對於眾生的愛是無邊的。他們佛國土的展現是無邊的。他們的聲聞是無邊的。他們的完美身形是無邊的。他們的聲音是無邊的。他們的辯才是無邊的。」

1.70“Padmaśrīgarbha, bodhisattvas will dedicate any root of virtue that has been created, even a single instance of the thought of awakening, so that it becomes boundless. You may wonder how dedication can make it boundless. Well, at the time bodhisattvas dedicate that root of merit to all sentient beings, the non-birth of all those sentient beings is actualized, and it is through their passing into the parinirvāṇa of a buddha that they will pass into parinirvāṇa. That, son of noble family, is called boundless dedication.

1.70「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,菩薩們會將所創造的任何福德根源,甚至只是一個覺悟的念頭,都用來迴向,使其變得無邊。你可能想知道迴向如何能使其變得無邊。好的,當菩薩們將那個福德根源迴向給所有眾生時,所有那些眾生的無生就得以實現,他們將通過進入佛的般涅槃而進入般涅槃。善男子,這就叫做無邊迴向。」

1.71“Their emptiness is boundless. Their signlessness is boundless. Their wishlessness is boundless. Their lack of conditioned existence is boundless. In this way they are free of desire and liberated within the realm of phenomena, the limit of reality. They are unborn, serene, free, beyond suffering, and boundless. Son of noble family, in short, all phenomena are boundless. Therefore all phenomena are said to be unborn and unceasing. Whatever is unborn and unceasing is boundless.

1.71「他們的空性是無邊的。他們的無相是無邊的。他們的無願是無邊的。他們對有為法的超越是無邊的。如此,他們遠離欲望,在法界中得到解脫,達到法界的極限。他們是無生的,涅槃寂靜的,自由的,超越苦難的,無邊的。善男子,簡而言之,一切法都是無邊的。因此,一切法被說為無生且無有間斷的。凡是無生且無有間斷的就是無邊的。」

1.72“Padmaśrīgarbha, the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha, King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, taught King Glorious Splendor perfectly how to gain expertise in the mode of Dharma known as the boundless seal, so that he, too, could reflect on the boundless Dharma. Then, as King Glorious Splendor received the teaching on the boundless Dharma from that blessed one, [F.224.a] he was satisfied and pleased. He rejoiced and was extremely delighted. Since he was so joyful and happy, together with his sons he praised that blessed one with these verses:

1.72蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者、金色獅子遊戲王佛教導威德王完美地獲得名為無邊印的法門的專精,使得他也能思維無邊的法。於是威德王從那位薄伽梵接受無邊法的教導時,感到滿足和喜悅。他欣喜踊躍,極其快樂。由於他如此喜樂,他與他的兒子們一起用這些偈頌讚歎那位薄伽梵:

“ ‘Guide, you are the master of all dharmas.
「尊敬的導師,你是一切法的主人。
You conquer the hordes of theoreticians;
你戰勝了各種理論家的眾多群體;
You eliminate all of the demons’ disputes and disturbing emotions.
你消除了魔鬼的一切爭執和煩惱。
We prostrate to you, incomparable ocean of wisdom.
我們向你頂禮,無比的智慧大海。
“ ‘The sun, the moon, and the light of fires,
「太陽、月亮和火焰的光芒,
The radiance of Śakra, Brahmā, jewels, and lightning,
帝釋天、梵天、寶石和閃電的光輝,
Are eclipsed by the splendor of the Blissful One.
都被圓滿者的光輝所遮蔽。
We prostrate to you, luminous leader of men.
我們向您頂禮,光耀的人類領導者。
“ ‘Sage, throughout an ocean of eons,
「智者啊,在無邊的時代洋海中,
You perform many hardships.
你承受了許多的苦行。
Since the result of that activity is so beautiful,
因為那些行為的果報是如此美妙,
Beings never tire of beholding you.
眾生永遠不厭倦地觀看你。
“ ‘Seeing that beings are pained by many sufferings,
「看到眾生因多種痛苦而感到苦惱,
And tormented by birth, old age, sickness, and death,
被生、老、病、死所折磨,
Great sage, your compassion for them
大聖人啊,你對他們的慈悲
Will never change as you teach the Dharma of peace.
你教授寂靜的法,對眾生的慈悲永遠不會改變。
“ ‘You are like a physician for all beings in the three existences;
「你如同三界一切眾生的醫生;
You purify all attachment, anger, and darkness.
你淨化了一切貪著、瞋恚和愚癡。
Dharma physician, you develop compassion
法醫,你培養慈悲
And teach on the unsurpassed state of peace.
並教導無上的寂靜境界。
“ ‘You know well all beings’ actions.
「你深知所有眾生的行為。
Since you understand everyone in the infinite worlds,
因為你了解無限世界中的每一個眾生,
You teach the Dharma that brings them
您教導他們能夠帶來涅槃的法。
To supreme nirvāṇa.
到至高的涅槃。
“ ‘Supreme man, your compassion is such
「至高無上的男子,你的慈悲是這樣的
That it is a compassion unrivaled
這是一種無與倫比的慈悲。
By all hearers and conditioned sages
被所有聲聞和有為的智者
In all the infinite worlds.
在所有無限的世界中。
“ ‘A gathering of merit endowed with the supreme marks,
「具足最殊勝相好的福德聚集,
The body of the Victor is like a golden mountain,
勝利者的身體如同黃金山。
More splendorous than ten million suns.
光芒比一千萬個太陽還要燦爛奪目。
We prostrate to you, unrivaled perfect man.
我們向您頂禮,無與倫比的完美男子。
“ ‘When from the expansive cloud of Dharma the rain of teachings falls,
「當廣大的法雲降下教法的雨時,
Those who have the vast inclinations to be within its scope,
那些具有廣大志向而能夠包含在其範圍內的人們,
And were not intimidated by the acts of previous buddhas,
而且不被先前佛陀的行為所嚇阻,
Always find themselves before the blissful one.
總是出現在幸福者的面前。
“ ‘During an inconceivable number of trillions of eons,
「在難以想像的無數兆劫期間,
It is exceedingly difficult to behold the perfect man.
完美的男子極其難以見到。
Yet through the workings of merit the mind is purified [F.224.b]
然而透過福德的運作,心意得到淨化
And the guides become visible.
而且導師變得顯現。
“ ‘The bodies of the Victor fill the entire realm of phenomena
「勝者的身體充滿了整個法界
And are present in all infinite realms.
且遍佈於一切無限的法界。
They know no actual coming or going,
他們知道沒有真實的來去。
And yet fill the world like a vessel.
然而卻充滿世界,如同器皿一樣。
“ ‘You who see the truths and teach the ultimate,
「你們看見諸法實相,教導究竟之理,
You are a benefactor of the Dharma with a peaceful mind;
你是具有寧靜心境的法的恩人;
Having crossed over, you liberate others who were in bondage.
你已經度脫,解救其他被束縛的眾生。
We prostrate to you, Blissful One.
我們向您頂禮,至樂者。
“ ‘You have pulled out the tree of rebirth by its root;
「你已經連根拔起了輪迴之樹;
You have reduced to rubble the massive mountain of pride;
你已經將巨大的驕傲之山摧毀成廢墟;
You know no agitation and are beyond deceit and deception.
你沒有任何煩亂,超越欺騙和虛偽。
We prostrate to you, who are completely at peace.
我們向你頂禮,你已完全安樂。
“ ‘Perfect man, you have gone beyond all attachments,
「完美的男子,你已經超越了一切執著,
And your realization is like earth, water, and fire.
而你的證悟如同大地、水和火。
Victor, you are impartial toward all beings.
勝利者,你對所有眾生都是公平的。
We prostrate to you, who are like wind and space.
我們向您頂禮,您如同風和虛空。
“ ‘Great sage, your qualities are like a treasure;
「大聖者,您的功德如同寶藏;
Your body appears from an ocean of merit.
你的身體從福德的海洋中顯現。
Even if we had billions of eons to speak of them
即使我們有數十億個劫那麼長的時間來述說它們
We would be unable to exhaust the ocean of your qualities.
我們即使有無數的時劫來讚頌,也無法窮盡你福德的海洋。
“ ‘Gods and men worship your ocean of qualities,
「天神和人類都禮敬你的福德之海,
And I with my sons offer worship as well.
我和我的兒子們也一起獻上禮敬。
By whatever merit accrues from worshipping the Victor,
通過供養勝者所獲得的任何福德,
May we become a great sage like you!’
願我們成為像您一樣偉大的聖賢!

1.89“Padmaśrīgarbha, on another occasion King Glorious Splendor was in his pleasure grove practicing concentration, when two beautiful and captivating lotus flowers made of uragasāra sandalwood sprang up on either side of him. From those two lotus flowers, two beings miraculously appeared: one bore the name Precious Mind, and the other was called Perfect Wealth. They sat cross-legged in the flowers.

1.89「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,又有一次,威德王在他的林苑中修習禪定波羅蜜,這時兩朵美麗迷人的烏拉伽沙羅檀香蓮花在他兩側應運而生。從這兩朵蓮花中,奇蹟般地出現了兩個眾生:一個名叫寶意,另一個叫做圓滿財。他們盤坐在蓮花中。」

1.90“Padmaśrīgarbha, when King Glorious Splendor arose from his absorption, he saw those two beings sitting there, cross-legged, and at the sight he spoke this verse:

1.90蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,威德王從禪定波羅蜜中起身時,看到那兩位眾生盤腿坐在那裡,見到他們,他就說出了這首偈頌:

“ ‘Are the two of you gods or nāgas?
「你們兩位是天神還是龍?
Or yakṣas, gandharvas, or kinnaras?
或是夜叉、乾闥婆、或緊那羅?
Or humans or nonhumans?
或是人類或非人類?
Friends, please answer this question.’
朋友們,請回答這個問題。

1.91“Padmaśrīgarbha, [F.225.a] the being who had appeared on King Glorious Splendor’s right replied with these verses to King Glorious Splendor:

1.91「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩在威德王的右邊現身,用這些偈頌回答威德王說:

“ ‘My friend, all phenomena are empty,
「我的朋友,一切法都是空性的,
So why do you ask their names?
那麼你為什麼還要問它們的名字呢?
Since all phenomena are devoid of names,
由於所有的法都沒有名字,
What name are you asking for?
你在問什麼名字呢?
“ ‘In emptiness, there are no gods,
「在空性中,沒有諸天,
No nāgas or rākṣasas,
沒有龍或羅剎,
Nor any humans or nonhumans.
也沒有男子或非人類。
None of them exist within emptiness.’
在空性中都不存在。

1.93“Padmaśrīgarbha, the other being then spoke to King Glorious Splendor in these verses:

1.93蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那另一個生命體就向威德王用偈文說道:

“ ‘Name is empty of name;
「名字是空無名字的;
In names there are no names.
名字中沒有名字。
All phenomena are devoid of names,
一切法都沒有名字。
And still they are described using names.
然而它們仍然被用名字來描述。
“ ‘Whatever nature a name might have
「無論名字具有什麼樣的性質
It cannot be seen or heard,
它無法被看到或聽到,
And no action can bring it to an end,
而且沒有任何行為能夠終止它。
So what name are you asking for?
那麼你問的是什麼名字呢?
“ ‘Conventionally names are formed,
「按照慣例,名稱是被形成的,
And names are given and spoken.
名字就這樣被給予和說出。
Thus, my name is Precious Mind,
因此,我的名字是寶意。
And he is Perfect Wealth.’
他就是圓滿財。

1.96“Padmaśrīgarbha, once these two beings had spoken these verses, the king attained the five types of clairvoyance. Together with King Glorious Splendor, the two beings then went before the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play. They prostrated with their heads to the blessed one’s feet, circumambulated the blessed one three times, joined the palms of their hands together, and stood to one side. Padmaśrīgarbha, these two beings then spoke these verses to the blessed one, as if in a single voice:

1.96蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,當這兩個眾生說完這些偈頌後,那位國王獲得了五通。與威德王一起,這兩個眾生來到薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者金色獅子遊戲佛陀國王的面前。他們以頭頂禮薄伽梵的雙足,繞行薄伽梵三周,合掌恭敬,然後站在一旁。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,這兩個眾生如同用同一個聲音向薄伽梵說出了這些偈頌:

“ ‘Victorious one, how should we venerate you?
「尊勝者,我們應該如何供養您呢?
Should it be with lotus flowers, perfume,
應該用蓮花、香料來供養您嗎?
Flower garlands, clothing,
花鬘、衣服、 </paragraph>
Or perhaps with food and drink?
還是用食物和飲料呢?
“ ‘Perfect buddha, foremost among men,
「正遍知啊,人中之最,
How should we venerate you?
我們應該如何供養你?
Please teach us this point,
請為我們開示這一點,
And we shall follow your advice!’
我們將遵循你的教導!

1.99“Padmaśrīgarbha, then the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha [F.225.b] spoke the following verses to the two beings:

1.99「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,當時薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者向這兩個眾生說了以下偈頌:

“ ‘If you give rise to the mind of awakening
「如果你們生起菩提心
In order to help all embodied beings,
為了幫助所有有情眾生,
You will be venerating the buddhas
你將會恭敬禮拜諸佛
With their thirty-two major marks.
具足三十二相。
“ ‘A being may make offerings
一個生命體可能會做供養
By filling as many buddha realms
填滿同樣數量的佛國土
As there are grains of sand in the Ganges River
如同恆河中的沙粒一樣多
With flowers for the protectors of the world.
用花朵供養世界的守護者。
“ ‘Yet if a person joins his palms
「然而,如果一個男子合掌
And bows to the mind of awakening,
向菩提心禮敬,
His merit will be much larger
他的福德將會大得多
And know no bounds.
並且沒有邊際。
“ ‘The one with superior intelligence has shown
「具有殊勝智慧的人已經展現
The mind of awakening, precisely as it is.
菩提心,就如它本然的樣子。
There is no other comparable offering,
沒有其他相比的供養,
And no other similar glory.’
並且沒有其他相似的榮耀。

1.103“Padmaśrīgarbha, once again the two beings addressed the blessed one in verse:

1.103「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那兩個眾生再次用偈頌向薄伽梵說道:

“ ‘In the presence of the protector of the world,
「'在世間保護者的面前,
We make a firm commitment.
我們做出堅定的承諾。
Gods and men, listen
諸天及人類,請諦聽
To this unsurpassed lion’s roar.
對於這無與倫比的獅子吼。
“ ‘However long it may have been
「無論經歷了多長的時間
Since saṃsāra’s unknowable beginning,
自輪迴無可追溯的開始以來,
For that long, even if it takes many eons,
為了那個目的,即使需要很多劫數,
We shall act for the welfare of beings.
我們將為眾生的福祉而行動。
“ ‘For as many eons as have passed
「就如同已經過去的那麼多劫一樣
Since the very beginning, for that many eons
從最初以來,經歷那麼多個劫
We shall act as you have taught
我們將按照您所教導的方式行動。
In order to help beings.
為了幫助眾生。
“ ‘If, from today on,
「『如果從今日起,
We should feel any desire,
我們應該感受任何欲望,
We will have betrayed
我們將背棄
The buddhas in the ten directions.
十方的諸佛陀。
“ ‘So, too, for any feelings of anger, dullness,
「同樣地,對於任何憤怒、遲鈍的感受、
Jealousy, and avarice.
嫉妒和貪婪。
We shall always speak truthfully
我們將永遠說真話
And give up all lies.
並捨棄一切謊言。
“ ‘If, from today on,
「如果從今天開始,
Without attaining stainless awakening,
未曾達到無垢的覺悟,
Our attitude should become like that of the hearers,
我們的態度應當變得如同聲聞一樣。
This pledge would have been a lie.
這個誓言將會是一個謊言。
“ ‘We shall also abstain from
「我們也將戒除
Delighting in the ways of solitary buddhas.
樂於獨覺的道路。
For ten million eons,
經過一千萬劫,
We shall feel compassion for beings.
我們會對眾生感到慈悲。
“ ‘Guide, just as your realm
「善知識,正如你的國土
Has tens of millions of other qualities
具有數千萬種其他特質
Beyond these accomplishments,
超越這些成就,
So shall we, too, produce a perfect realm.
我們也將同樣成就一個圓滿的淨土。
“ ‘In that realm there shall be no hearers,
「在那個淨土中,將沒有聲聞,
Nor any guides who are solitary buddhas.
也沒有獨覺作為引導者。
At that time, there shall only be bodhisattvas
那時,將只有菩薩
Numbering tens of millions. [F.226.a]
數以千萬計。
“ ‘The beings who enjoy this realm
「享受此國土的眾生
Will all be stainless.
都將是清淨無垢的。
As they hold the treasury of the Buddha,
當他們持守佛陀的寶藏時,
They will perfect the dharmas of the Buddha.
他們將圓滿佛陀的法。
“ ‘If things are certain to be like that,
「如果事物必然會是那樣,
And not in any other way,
而不以任何其他方式,
May this entire earth shake
願這整個大地震動
With its oceans and mountains.’
其洋與山嶺。
“As soon as they said this,
「剛說完這些話,
The entire world shook,
整個世界震動了,
And musical instruments all sounded
所有的樂器都發出了聲音
Without even being played.
未曾被演奏。
“Billions of gods
「億億位天神
Scattered a beautiful rain
散灑了美麗的雨
Of a million flowers, powders,
百萬朵花、香粉,
Incense, and clothing.
香、衣著。

1.116“Padmaśrīgarbha, you should not have any doubts or uncertainties as to whether the person who at that time, at that point, was named King Glorious Splendor was somebody else. And why? Because at that time, at that point, the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha Amitābha was named King Glorious Splendor. Padmaśrīgarbha, you should also not think that at that time, at that point, the two beings called Precious Mind and Perfect Wealth were anybody else. And why? Because at that time, at that point, the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara was the being called Perfect Wealth, and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta was the being called Precious Mind. Son of noble family, this was the first time that these two beings developed the mind set upon unsurpassed and completely perfect awakening.”

1.116蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你不應當對那個時候、那個地點被稱為威德王的人是否是別人有任何懷疑或不確定。為什麼呢?因為在那個時候、那個地點,薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者阿彌陀佛被稱為威德王。蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你也不應當認為在那個時候、那個地點,被稱為寶意和圓滿財的這兩個眾生是別人。為什麼呢?因為在那個時候、那個地點,菩薩大士觀世音菩薩就是被稱為圓滿財的眾生,菩薩大士大勢至菩薩就是被稱為寶意的眾生。善男子,這是這兩個眾生第一次為無上正等菩提而發起菩提心。

1.117Then the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha said to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, it is amazing how these two holy beings, devoting themselves so much to the profound and without apprehending their own names, have both been developing the mind of awakening for so long! How many other blessed buddhas apart from that thus-gone one have these two holy beings served?”

1.117那時蓮花吉祥藏菩薩對薄伽梵說:「薄伽梵,這兩位聖者如此長久地致力於甚深的道,不執著自己的名字,一直在發起菩提心,這確實令人驚歎!除了那位如來以外,這兩位聖者還侍奉過多少位有福報的佛陀?」

“Son of noble family,” said the Blessed One, “it may be possible to count the number of grains of sand in the Ganges River. [F.226.b] But it is not possible to count the blessed buddhas who were venerated by those two holy beings since the time of that thus-gone one. That is how long these two have been developing the mind of awakening. Those two holy beings wear inconceivable armor and possess boundless skills. In fact it is impossible to comprehend the scope of those two beings’ qualities.”

薄伽梵說:「善男子,恆河中的沙粒數量或許還可以計算,但那兩位聖者自從那位如來以來所供養的正等覺者的數量卻無法計算。這就是那兩位發菩提心的時間有多久遠。那兩位聖者穿著不可思議的盔甲,具足無邊的技能。實際上,無法領悟那兩位眾生功德的範圍。」

1.118Then the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “From here, in which direction is that world called Boundless Accumulation of Precious Qualities and Full Display of Happiness where the Blessed One, the thus-gone King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play lived?”

1.118那時菩薩摩訶薩蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵:"從這裡,那個名叫無邊寶積莊嚴功德圓滿世界在哪個方向呢?在那個世界中,薄伽梵、如來金色獅子遊戲王曾經住過。"

The Blessed One said, “Son of noble family, at that time, at that point, the world of Sukhāvatī in the west was that world called Boundless Accumulation of Precious Qualities and Full Display of Happiness.”

薄伽梵說道:「善男子,那個時候,西方的極樂世界就是那個稱為無邊寶積莊嚴功德圓滿世界的世界。」

1.119The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha requested of the Blessed One, “Please tell us what kind of display of precious qualities the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, completely perfect Buddha manifested in the buddha realm of those two holy beings in order to aid many beings, show love for the world, and bring happiness and health to all, including gods and men. How were his perfect hearers? How long did they live? What kind of enjoyments did they have? What was their radiance like? And what were the names of the two holy beings after they awakened to unexcelled and completely perfect buddhahood? Why, you may wonder, am I making this request? It is so that other bodhisattvas may hear the Thus-Gone One describe the great aspirations of those two holy beings, [F.227.a] so that they, too, may perfect similar great aspirations.”

1.119菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏向薄伽梵請求說:「請告訴我們,那位薄伽梵、如來、應供、正等覺者在那兩位聖者的佛國土中展現了什麼樣的寶質功德,以便幫助眾多眾生,展現對世界的關愛,並為包括天神和人類在內的所有眾生帶來幸福和安樂。他的正遍知聲聞是怎樣的?他們活了多長時間?他們享受了什麼樣的快樂?他們的光輝是什麼樣的?那兩位聖者在覺悟至無上正等覺時的名字是什麼?你可能想知道,我為什麼提出這個請求?這是為了讓其他菩薩能夠聽聞如來描述那兩位聖者的偉大誓願,使他們也能夠圓滿類似的偉大誓願。」

The Blessed One said to the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha, “Padmaśrīgarbha, for that very purpose I shall answer you, so listen well and keep in mind what I say.”

薄伽梵對菩薩蓮花吉祥藏說道:「蓮花吉祥藏,我正是為了這個目的而為你解答,你要好好聽著,把我所說的銘記在心。」

The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha said to the Blessed One, “Excellent!” and listened as the Blessed One had directed.

菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩向薄伽梵說道:「很好!」並按照薄伽梵的指示認真聆聽。

1.120The Blessed One said, “Son of noble family, the extent of the Thus-Gone One Amitābha’s life is boundless. Even if you had a trillion eons to describe its limits, it would not be easy. Son of noble family, although the life of the Thus-Gone One Amitābha is boundless, all compounded phenomena are empty, unstable, without solidity, and fleeting. Therefore, son of noble family, in a distant future the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, perfect Buddha Amitābha will also pass into nirvāṇa. Though he will pass into nirvāṇa, his sacred Dharma will remain for 84 trillion eons. Just as when he was alive, his passing into nirvāṇa will also accomplish sentient beings’ roots of virtue to their full extent.

1.120薄伽梵說:「善男子,如來阿彌陀佛的壽命無量無邊。即使你有億兆劫的時間來描述它的極限,也不容易說盡。善男子,雖然如來阿彌陀佛的壽命無量無邊,但一切有為法都是空的、不穩定的、沒有實質的、轉瞬即逝的。因此,善男子,在遙遠的未來,薄伽梵、如來、應供、正遍知者阿彌陀佛也將進入涅槃。雖然他將進入涅槃,但他的聖妙法教將存續八十四兆劫之久。就像他活著時一樣,他的涅槃也將使眾生的善根圓滿成就。」

1.121“At that point, however, other sentient beings will no longer behold that thus-gone one. Yet the bodhisattvas will obtain the absorption of remembering the Buddha. They will always and continuously behold the Buddha and not be separate from him. Son of noble family, when Amitābha passes into nirvāṇa, lotus flowers and trees made of the seven gems will emit several hundred Gates of Dharma similar to the Dharma teachings that the thus-gone one taught.

1.121「那時候,其他眾生將不再見到那位如來。然而菩薩們將獲得念佛三昧。他們將始終不斷地見到佛陀,與他不相分離。善男子,當阿彌陀佛進入涅槃時,由七寶製成的蓮花和樹木將發出數百個法門,這些法門類似於那位如來所教導的法教。」

1.122“Son of noble family, after the Thus-Gone One Amitābha has passed into nirvāṇa, there will come a night when the sacred Dharma disappears. As soon as that happens, at the break of dawn on the very next day, [F.227.b] the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara will awaken to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood at the foot of a Bodhi tree made of various gems. As he perfectly and completely awakens, he will be known as Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja. The precious qualities displayed in the buddha realm of the Thus-Gone One Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja will be so extensive that even a thus-gone one who is otherwise able to recount how many grains of sand there are in the river Ganges will not be able to be comprehend them. There are so many causes for happiness and the precious qualities found in that buddha realm, but, son of noble family, let me just give you a brief illustration of their number.

1.122「善男子,阿彌陀如來涅槃後,有一個夜晚時,聖法就會消失。就在那之後,隔天天亮時,菩薩大士觀世音菩薩將在由各種寶石所成的菩提樹下,覺悟到無上正遍知的佛道。當他圓滿究竟地覺悟時,他將被稱為普遍光發奮起吉祥山頂王如來。普遍光發奮起吉祥山頂王如來的佛國土中所顯現的珍貴品質將極其廣大,甚至即使是能夠述說恆河沙粒數量的如來,也無法理解它們。那個佛國土中有著無數快樂的因緣和珍貴的品質,但是,善男子,讓我只為你簡要說明它們數量的一個比喻。」

1.123“The display of precious qualities in the buddha realm of the Blessed One, the thus-gone King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, which I described before, would not equal even one hundredth of this display of qualities. Nor would it measure one thousandth, or ever one hundred thousandth of it. In fact no number, analogy, or illustration would suffice. In this buddha realm even the names of hearers and solitary buddhas do not exist. This buddha realm is entirely filled with bodhisattvas. Son of noble family, even if one were to gather all of the hearers, solitary buddhas, and bodhisattvas of the Blessed Amitābha, they would not equal even one hundredth of the bodhisattva saṅgha of the Blessed One, the Thus-Gone One Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja. Nor would they measure one thousandth, or even one hundred thousandth of that. In fact no number, analogy, or illustration would suffice. As for his lifespan, it will be 96 trillion eons. The sacred Dharma that he teaches will remain for 630 million eons.”

1.123「薄伽梵圓滿具足的黃獅子遊戲佛國土所顯現的珍寶功德,我之前所描述的,都不及這位佛國土功德顯現的百分之一。也不及千分之一,甚至也不及十萬分之一。實際上沒有任何數字、比喻或譬喻能夠說明。在這個佛國土中,聲聞和獨覺的名字都不存在。這個佛國土完全充滿了菩薩。善男子,即使把薄伽梵阿彌陀佛的所有聲聞、獨覺和菩薩都聚集在一起,也不及薄伽梵、如來、圓滿具足的黃獅子遊戲佛國土菩薩僧伽的百分之一。也不及千分之一,甚至也不及十萬分之一。實際上沒有任何數字、比喻或譬喻能夠說明。至於他的壽命,將是九十六兆劫。他所教導的聖法將存在六億三千萬劫。」

1.124The bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, [F.228.a] “Blessed One, will the name of that world also be Sukhāvatī?”

1.124菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩向薄伽梵提問:「薄伽梵,那個世界的名字也會是極樂世界嗎?」

The Blessed One said, “No, son of noble family, it will not. That world will be called Complete Gathering of Wealth. Son of noble family, during the lifetime of Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja, until he passes into nirvāṇa, he will be worshipped by the bodhisattva Mahā­sthāmaprāpta. After he passes into nirvāṇa, that bodhisattva will uphold his sacred Dharma and propagate it, so that the sacred Dharma may remain for long.

薄伽梵說:「不是這樣的,善男子。那個世界將被稱為功德寶莊嚴世界。善男子,在如來蓮花吉祥藏菩薩的壽命期間,直到他入涅槃,他將受到菩薩大勢至的供養。在他入涅槃後,那位菩薩將護持他的法,並弘揚它,使得那個法能夠長久住世。」

1.125“Later, when the sacred Dharma has disappeared in that buddha realm, Mahā­sthāmaprāpta will awaken there to unsurpassed and perfect buddhahood. He will appear in that world as a thus-gone, worthy, perfect buddha, a learned and virtuous being, a blissful one, someone who knows the world, an unsurpassed charioteer who tames beings, a teacher of gods and men, a blessed buddha known as Supra­tiṣṭhita­guṇa­maṇi­kūṭa­rāja. Just as were the perfect bodhisattvas and the perfect environment belonging to the Blessed One, the thus-gone, worthy, perfect Buddha Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja, so will they be, precisely and without any difference, for the Blessed One, the thus-gone Supra­tiṣṭhita­guṇa­maṇi­kūṭa­rāja. His lifespan and the period of his sacred Dharma will also be the same.

1.125「到了那個佛國土中法已滅盡的時候,大勢至菩薩將在那裡覺悟無上正等正覺。他將以如來、應供、正遍知、明行足、善逝、世間解、無上調禦丈夫、天人師、佛、薄伽梵的身份出現在那個世界,名為妙吉祥功德寶藏佛王。就如同薄伽梵、如來、應供、正遍知佛陀光明遍照吉祥寶藏王佛的完美菩薩與完美佛國土環境一樣,妙吉祥功德寶藏佛王的也將完全相同,精確無異。他的壽命和他的法住世的時間也將相同。」

1.126“Any son or daughter of noble family who hears the names of the Blessed One, the thus-gone Samanta­raśmyabhyudgata­śrī­kūta­rāja, or the Blessed One, the thus-gone Supra­tiṣṭhita­guṇa­maṇi­kūṭa­rāja, will render irreversible their progress to unsurpassed and perfect awakening. [F.228.b]

1.126「任何善男子或善女人,只要聽聞薄伽梵、如來山蕴光耀狮子游戲王佛的名號,或薄伽梵、如來超越殊勝功德寶藏王佛的名號,就會使自己的無上正等正覺不退轉。」

“Padmaśrīgarbha, any woman who hears the account of how the Blessed One, the thus-gone King of the Golden-Hued Lion’s Play, passed into nirvāṇa, and who hears the name of these two future buddhas, will no longer have the identity of a woman, and after 400 million eons she will destroy saṃsāra. She will render irreversible her progress to unsurpassed and perfect awakening. She will always see the Buddha, listen to the Dharma, and serve the Saṅgha; and as she moves to the next life, she will take ordination. She will recollect her past lives and attain unimpeded eloquence and retention.”

「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,任何女人聽聞薄伽梵如來金色獅子遊戲王如何入涅槃,以及聽聞這兩位未來佛的名號,將不再具有女人的身份,經過四億萬劫後,她將摧毀輪迴。她將使自己對無上正等正覺的進步變成不退轉。她將始終看見佛陀,聽聞法,並恭敬僧伽;當她前往下一世時,她將受持出家戒律。她將回憶起自己的過去生,並獲得無礙的言辭和記憶力。」

1.127Then, from within the retinue, 960 million gods, men, and other beings called out in a single voice, “We pay homage to all thus-gone ones: those yet to come, those who presently remain, and those in the ten directions who have passed into nirvāṇa. We rejoice in their names!” And they continued, “Blessed One, this entire gathering now engenders the mind of unsurpassed and perfect awakening.”

1.127隨後,在眾會之中,九億六千萬位天神、男子和其他眾生齊聲呼喊:「我們向所有如來致敬:那些將要出現的、那些現在存在的,以及十方已經進入涅槃的如來。我們為他們的名號而欣喜!」他們接著說:「薄伽梵,這整個集會現在生起了無上正等正覺的心。」

Then the Blessed One prophesied their unsurpassed and perfect awakening. Eight trillion four hundred thousand million beings purified their eye of Dharma regarding phenomena so that it became stainless and unobscured. Seven thousand monks freed their minds from defilements without further clinging.

然後,薄伽梵為他們的無上正等正覺作了授記。八兆四百萬億個眾生清淨了他們對法的法眼,使其成為無垢而清明。七千名比丘解脫了心中的煩惱,不再有任何執著。

1.128Then, at that time, the bodhisattva great being Avalokiteśvara and the bodhisattva great being Mahā­sthāmaprāpta caused a miracle by which the entire retinue could see all the limitless, uncountable blessed ones in the ten directions making prophecies for their unsurpassed and perfect awakening. [F.229.a] Such was the miracle that they performed.

1.128那時,菩薩摩訶薩觀世音菩薩與菩薩摩訶薩大勢至菩薩顯現奇蹟,使得整個法會的大眾能夠看見十方無邊無數的薄伽梵們為他們的無上正等正覺作出預言。這就是他們所顯現的奇蹟。

At this spectacle, everyone present exclaimed, “Blessed One, we now see the extent to which these two bodhisattva great beings are cared for by those blessed buddhas! It is amazing to see so many blessed buddhas making prophecies regarding these two holy beings!”

看到這個景象,在場的所有人都驚呼道:「薄伽梵,我們現在看到這兩位菩薩大士受到那些佛陀們的關愛到什麼程度了!看到這麼多佛陀為這兩位聖者做出授記,真是令人驚嘆!」

1.129Then the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha asked the Blessed One, “Blessed One, how much merit is created when a son or daughter of noble family remembers this sūtra taught by the Thus-Gone One, carries it, reads it, comprehends it, and extensively and genuinely teaches it to others?”

1.129那時,蓮花吉祥藏菩薩問薄伽梵:"薄伽梵,當善男子或善女人憶持如來所說的這部經,受持它、誦讀它、理解它,並廣泛真誠地為他人講說時,會獲得多少福德?"

The Blessed One said, “Son of noble family, it could be asked what would be accomplished and what would be the reason for me to reply to the question you have put to the Thus-Gone One. Son of noble family, it is because base sentient beings may distrust the Thus-Gone One’s teachings, and will therefore continue to meet with harm, unhelpful situations, unhappiness, and misfortune.”

薄伽梵說:「善男子,可以這樣問,我為什麼要回答你向如來所提出的問題,會成就什麼?善男子,那是因為下劣的眾生可能對如來的教法不信任,因此將繼續遭遇傷害、無益的境況、不幸和厄運。」

1.130Padmaśrīgarbha said, “Blessed One, in this assembly there are sons and daughters of noble family who are dedicated to the vast, indeed extremely dedicated; this teaching will also appear to beings yet to come. So it is for the sake of the welfare and happiness of many beings that I request the Thus-Gone One to explain.”

1.130蓮花吉祥藏菩薩說:「薄伽梵,在這個集會中有善男子和善女人,他們志向廣大,確實非常專注;這個教法將來也會出現在未來的眾生面前。所以為了許多眾生的福祉和快樂,我請求如來為我們解釋。」

The Blessed One said, “Padmaśrīgarbha, that being so, I ask you to listen well to what I will say and keep it in mind.”

薄伽梵說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,既然如此,我請你仔細聽我所要說的話,並且要記在心裡。」

The bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha said, “Blessed One, excellent!” and he listened as the Blessed One had instructed him.

菩薩蓮花吉祥藏說:「薄伽梵,太好了!」他按照薄伽梵的教導而專心聽受。

1.131Then the Blessed One said, “Son of noble family, say there is a man who is strong, powerful, and with great amounts of merit. Now, however many beings one may think there are in what one thinks of as the realm of beings, the Thus-Gone One has said that there are many more than that; [F.229.b] it is not like the realm of the earth. All those beings that person supports with his head, shoulders, or hands for limitless tens of millions of eons. For as long as he lives, he offers them clothing and food, and provides them with all types of pleasant provisions and services. Now tell me, Padmaśrīgarbha, would that man’s merit increase greatly on this basis?”

1.131薄伽梵說:「善男子,設有一位男子強大有力,具有大福德。現在不論人們認為眾生的領域中有多少眾生,如來已說那比這要多得許多;這不像大地的領域。那個男子用頭、肩膀或雙手支撐所有那些眾生,歷經無限的千萬劫。在他活著的時間裡,他供給他們衣服和食物,並為他們提供各種舒適的供品和服務。現在告訴我,蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,那個男子基於這樣的行為,福德會大幅增長嗎?」

1.132Padmaśrīgarbha said, “A lot of merit is created when just a single person develops a loving attitude, even if only for as long as it takes him to snap his fingers. So how much more would be created if someone embraces all beings with love and serves them with all necessities for their happiness for endless, limitless, tens of millions of eons?”

1.132蓮花吉祥藏菩薩說:「即使只有一個人在彈指之間生起慈愛之心,就能生起很大的福德。那麼,如果有人用慈愛擁抱一切眾生,並為他們的幸福提供無盡無量、千萬個劫的一切所需,會生起多少福德呢?」

The Blessed One said, “Padmaśrīgarbha, you should be inspired by this, and you should fully understand it: any son or daughter of noble family who, immersed in faith and full of interest, develops the mind of awakening based on a sūtra that the Thus-Gone One has taught, like this one, and takes hold of the sūtra, remembers it, reads it, understands it, and teaches it extensively to others will, based on that foundation, give rise to a much greater amount of merit.”

薄伽梵說:「蓮花吉祥藏菩薩,你應該受到啟發,並應該充分理解:任何善男子或善女人,沉浸在信心中並充滿興趣,基於如來所教授的經,就像這部經一樣,而生起菩提心,並持受這部經,憶念它、誦讀它、理解它,以及廣泛地為他人講授它,將會基於這個基礎,生起更加廣大得多的福德。」

1.133The bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha declared to the Blessed One, “Blessed One, when the Thus-Gone One has passed into nirvāṇa, I will take hold of this sūtra, which has been taught by the Thus-Gone One, and grasp it, read it, understand it, and teach it extensively to others.”

1.133菩薩蓮花吉祥藏向薄伽梵宣言說:「薄伽梵,當如來入涅槃後,我將受持如來所教導的此經,並掌握它、誦讀它、理解它,以及廣泛地為他人講解它。」

The bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha and the 960 million bodhisattvas then all declared, in a single voice, “Blessed One, we too will take hold of this sūtra and grasp it, read it, understand it, [F.230.a] and teach it extensively to others.”

菩薩蓮花吉祥藏與九億六千萬菩薩一同發出同樣的聲音宣告說:「薄伽梵,我們也將受持這部經,並且掌握它、讀誦它、理解它,以及廣泛地為他人講述它。」

1.134The Blessed One said to the bodhisattva Padmaśrīgarbha, “Padmaśrīgarbha, if any woman hears this Dharma teaching, she will immediately be transformed from the state of a woman, unless there are the two causative factors, jealousy and stinginess.”

1.134薄伽梵對菩薩蓮花吉祥藏說:「蓮花吉祥藏,如果有女人聽聞這部法教,她將立即從女人的狀態中得到轉變,除非具有嫉妒和慳貪這兩個因素。」

Then Śakra, who is lord of the gods, Brahmā, who rules the Sahā world, the four great kings, and many hundreds of thousands of gods scattered divine māndārava flowers on the Blessed One and the bodhisattva great beings. While playing billions of divine instruments, they called out, “Those sentient beings who hear this Dharma teaching, grasp it, and teach it extensively to others will reap a great profit.”

那時,天主帝釋天、統治娑婆世界的梵天、四大天王以及許多數百萬的天神,在薄伽梵和菩薩大士們身上撒下神聖的曼陀羅花。他們吹奏著數十億種神聖的樂器,高聲呼喊說:「那些聽聞這個法教、領受它,並廣泛地為他人講說的眾生,將會獲得巨大的利益。」

The Blessed One said, “Sons of noble family, what you have said is true. Any sentient being who holds this Dharma teaching in their hands or hears it, and subsequently feels devotion for it, will give rise to roots of virtue before ten thousand buddhas.”

薄伽梵說:「善男子,你們所說的是真實的。任何眾生若是握持這部法教,或者聽聞它,之後對它生起恭敬信心,就會在一萬尊佛陀面前生起善根。」

1.135Then a young girl named Viraja rose from her seat in the congregation and, motivated by altruistic thoughts, announced, “Blessed One, with an altruistic motivation I have decided to give up any jealousy and stinginess, and instead develop the mind of unsurpassed and perfect awakening. Blessed Thus-Gone One, you speak the truth. Blessed One, if it is so that were I to become a buddha, and other women should happen to hear this Dharma teaching, they will also be freed from being a woman as soon as they hear it, to that end, Blessed One, may all my woman’s organs now disappear from my body, and those of a man appear!” [F.230.b]

1.135然後,一位名叫無垢女的年輕女子從眾中起身,以利他心的動機宣布:「薄伽梵啊,以利他心的動機,我已決定捨棄一切嫉妒和慳貪,轉而培養無上正等正覺的心。尊貴的如來啊,您說的是真實的。薄伽梵啊,如果我成佛,其他女人若聽到這部法教,她們也會在聽聞的瞬間立即從女身中獲得解脫,為此之故,薄伽梵啊,願我所有的女根現在從我身體中消失,而取之以男根!」

1.136Instantly the girl’s female organs vanished, and her body became that of a man, of whom the Blessed One prophesied that his progress to unsurpassed and perfect awakening had now been rendered irreversible, and that he would become a thus-gone one, a worthy one, a perfect buddha named Repeller of All Disturbing Emotions.

1.136那時候,那位女子的女根立刻消失,她的身體變成了男子的身體。薄伽梵為他授記,說他邁向無上正等正覺的進程已經變得不退轉,他將成為如來、應供者、正遍知,名號為無惱自在王。

When the Blessed One had spoken this teaching, the bodhisattva great being Padmaśrīgarbha, the monks, and the many bodhisattvas, as well as the world with its gods, men, demigods, and gandharvas, rejoiced and praised what the Blessed One had said.

薄伽梵說完這個法教後,菩薩大士蓮花吉祥藏菩薩、比丘們,以及眾多的菩薩,還有包括天神、人類、非人和乾闥婆的世界,都為薄伽梵所說的話感到歡喜並讚嘆。

1.137This concludes the Noble Great Vehicle Sūtra “The Illusory Absorption.”

1.137(結尾)